Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't that kind of the some issue people were having during the Sadu solo duty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Countblanc posted:

To be an insane lore pedant, it's actually not - the real answer is much weirder. Drinking a fantasia apparently like, opens your third eye and lets you see yourself in reality as your idealized version of yourself.

Yes this means everyone else canonically sees you as whatever your original race was I guess

So when they refer to you as the race you've changed to they're just humoring you? "Oh, poor WoL, hit her head one too many times and thinks she's a bunny girl now."

Edit: Also, I don't think it's G'raha as we know him. I think either it's a clone of one of his Allagan ancestors, a clone of him, or the crystal has bodyjacked him. Maybe like an Ascian but not a complete edgelord rear end in a top hat?

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 27, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

All of the samurai job quests were easy as hell after surviving monk 70. :colbert:

The real hard job quest was actually dragoon 68, but only because I was a dumbass and standing on the edge of the ring instead of inside its hotbox.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azubah posted:

Stormblood seems to have a lot of that sort of thing. I noticed on my alt especially that Stormblood's single player content straight up feels harder than ARR's or HW's, though maybe that's because you can't buy Scaevan gear with poetics yet and kit out with best of the expansion gear the moment you're 70.

The solo duty this patch took me a couple tries because I was doing it as SMN and I didn't realize there'd be a damage check phase so I went ahead and used Bahamut as soon as he was available, then failed the damage check because SMN. Second try I saved Bahamut for that part and it was smooth sailing.

Exactly the same kind of thing as happened in the Sadu solo duty.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the fastest/easiest/laziest way to cap genesis now that the cap is 900? Before 5 days of daily EXDR was enough and took relatively minimal effort. I know Eureka can give decent genesis if you follow the train, but it's Eureka.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wtf you need genesis for?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Phone posted:

Blast processing

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Phone posted:

I haven't finished my 390/400 set for my main because I'm exceptionally lazy and haven't really kept up with that grind. (Was too busy maxing out alts.)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just do some more EXDR? Or any of the roulettes giving genesis, tome/hour doesn't change much.

Azubah posted:

You're right. The worst part about failing these duties is how much of the boring parts you have to repeat if the very last DPS or survivability check is the one you fail.

Thundarr posted:

All of the samurai job quests were easy as hell after surviving monk 70. :colbert:

The real hard job quest was actually dragoon 68, but only because I was a dumbass and standing on the edge of the ring instead of inside its hotbox.

I don't even remember SB MNK quests being at all difficult, but I never had to do them undergeared because I leveled the job so late I already had all the dungeon sets and Ala Mhigan gear.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

small bird pudding posted:

Edit: Also, I don't think it's G'raha as we know him. I think either it's a clone of one of his Allagan ancestors, a clone of him, or the crystal has bodyjacked him. Maybe like an Ascian but not a complete edgelord rear end in a top hat?
Outside chance of G'raha from the future after he woke from his stasis because, whatever, the Crystal Tower be weird about space/time like that - and for a handwave on why he didn't identify himself in such a scenario: maybe he's a little fuzzy on exactly when you met and doesn't want to cause some kind of paradox in case you hadn't met him yet. Hey, he wasn't there for Alexander, no one explained closed loops for him!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SB Hildy was a better segue into ShB, holy poo poo.

Also the Manderville Mambo owns bones and I'm glad we finally have it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
This is spoiler the thread.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Over There posted:

This is spoiler the thread.

The bad guy loses and the hero wins

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Best way to deal with damage checks is to play god’s class, samurai.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

orcane posted:

The other day I did the level 54 SAM quest on the ship on my alt and apparently it's somewhat infamous? I couldn't even remember having issues with that quest before, but the samurai with the PLD combo owned me twice before I managed to beat it with the Echo of Shame. I do remember the level 60 quest being near impossible with actual HW leveling gear and trivial with level 60 gear, so that was the first thing I checked - but with an average item level of 126 or so I didn't think that was the issue (Sohm Al drops are item level 130 and the crafted level 54 stuff is 133).

Oh yeah, the last enemy of the Level 54 SAM quest is just ridiculous for how small of an arena you have to fight him.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Leal posted:

The bad guy loses and the hero wins

Have we ever gone into a new expansion having really won? I guess you could maybe call HW->SB a victory if you squint real hard, but the other two are definite low points in our heroing career.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

orcane posted:

The other day I did the level 54 SAM quest on the ship on my alt and apparently it's somewhat infamous? I couldn't even remember having issues with that quest before, but the samurai with the PLD combo owned me twice before I managed to beat it with the Echo of Shame. I do remember the level 60 quest being near impossible with actual HW leveling gear and trivial with level 60 gear, so that was the first thing I checked - but with an average item level of 126 or so I didn't think that was the issue (Sohm Al drops are item level 130 and the crafted level 54 stuff is 133).

I make it a point to do all class quests with level appropriate gear, but the SAM 60 quest just ruined me. I was in complete Aery (57) gear at a minimum, with a couple Library pieces on the side, and I was dieing within a combo or two. I had to grab a few Shire pieces to make it possible which was a let down, because I wasn't going to echo that poo poo.

The Dragoon 70 quest was notorious in my server's Novice Network as being impossible without max ilvl + echo, but Novice Network... Since my Dragoon was almost at max level and I hadn't done it, I made a super lovely, kinda sarcastic video guide on how to do it which last I checked actually had comments on it glad for the help, so I guess a few others had trouble with it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
The players in this game are really loving nice.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

orcane posted:

I don't even remember SB MNK quests being at all difficult, but I never had to do them undergeared because I leveled the job so late I already had all the dungeon sets and Ala Mhigan gear.

Monk was the first job I leveled SB so I was in mostly level 69 gear for the finale. The boss hits like a truck, has facing so your own attacks lose their positional bonuses since you're on his nose, none of your allies can heal you, and half way through enemy reinforcements show up including one that will heal the boss if you don't focus on them immediately (said healer is dressed identically to the dozen or so other enemy adds in the duty at that point).

It's kind of a poo poo show when you don't have the ilvl to just bulldoze it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thundarr posted:

Monk was the first job I leveled SB so I was in mostly level 69 gear for the finale. The boss hits like a truck, has facing so your own attacks lose their positional bonuses since you're on his nose, none of your allies can heal you, and half way through enemy reinforcements show up including one that will heal the boss if you don't focus on them immediately (said healer is dressed identically to the dozen or so other enemy adds in the duty at that point).

It's kind of a poo poo show when you don't have the ilvl to just bulldoze it.

It was like a mini bardem

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
WHM 70 took me 4 tries and I can't even remember why.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Over There posted:

The players in this game are really loving nice.

Yep, certainly most! Earnest and reasonable requests for help usually get good help.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

WHM 70 took me 4 tries and I can't even remember why.

If I recall correctly, there's a point where the NPC is reduced to 1 HP and healing skills don't work on them until the game says so. Maybe that?

Could've just been your gear, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I make it a point to do all class quests with level appropriate gear, but the SAM 60 quest just ruined me. I was in complete Aery (57) gear at a minimum, with a couple Library pieces on the side, and I was dieing within a combo or two. I had to grab a few Shire pieces to make it possible which was a let down, because I wasn't going to echo that poo poo.

The Dragoon 70 quest was notorious in my server's Novice Network as being impossible without max ilvl + echo, but Novice Network... Since my Dragoon was almost at max level and I hadn't done it, I made a super lovely, kinda sarcastic video guide on how to do it which last I checked actually had comments on it glad for the help, so I guess a few others had trouble with it.
I tried it in Aery/Google Library gear too because I didn't have shire gear for MNK/SAM at the time, and it just wasn't possible. I managed to drag it out with echo, but in the end you still die because you take way too much damage. And then I bought lovely 255 NQ vendor whites and barely took any damage while crushing the guy in half the time.

Some of these quests seem "tuned" by throwing dice and I don't know why. The :smuggo: version is probably "to teach you how to play" but that doesn't really work - the boat quest example with the paladin-samurai has parts of it (avoid untelegraphed attacks by the beast, use third eye/bloodbath/second wind to heal, kill stuff ASAP to avoid dying) but then you have an enemy who just takes off 80% of your health with one combo you can't really avoid. And in the level 60 quest you can perfectly evade everything but his auto attacks/regular melee combos will still wreck you if your gear doesn't cut it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

At what level does the augmented ironworks gear start to fall off?

I know it probably doesn't matter a ton for some classes but my PLD is about halfway to 55 now and I figure I might get current content from lldr at some point and don't want to die because I'm severely undergeared.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

IcePhoenix posted:

I know it probably doesn't matter a ton for some classes but my PLD is about halfway to 55 now and I figure I might get current content from lldr at some point and don't want to die because I'm severely undergeared.

It's the same item level as the 53 dungeon. By 55 you should get upgrades straight from the story dungeon.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

IcePhoenix posted:

You're there. Some lv 54 HQ crafted items are a little better, most Aery drops are better, and lv 56 HQ crafted items are significantly better.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

Aug Ironworks should start getting replaced around level 55, 54 if you find a piece with better sub stats.

As a tank is important to keep your gear as up to date as possible but other roles can get away with using the Ironworks gear longer as long as they don't take unnecessary damage and at least have current weapons.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Augmented tomestone gear falls off about halfway through leveling in the following expansion. For Ironworks, that's around The Aery and you'll really start feeling it in The Vault. (Augmented Ironworks is 130 - so are Sohm Al drops. The Aery drops 136 gear.)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks y'all.

Maybe I'll just stick to 50 dr and trials with some msq and adr sprinkled in to get to 60 so I don't have to think about it :v:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

When I was first levelling my tank what I did was just bought vendor 56 gear and then ground out the Vault a bunch of times. The Vault is good tanking practice in general and by the time you get used to it you can probably be at cap.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It still might be a little more work than you intend, but as of Stormblood they've at least smoothed things out a bit for alts by making leveling roulette expansion dungeons (i.e. ones that aren't 60/70) always drop a piece of the armor set for your job that you don't have in your inventory/armory chest when you clear. So even if the chest drops aren't friendly, you're guaranteed a complete armor set after 10 runs. :v:
(The weapon is not guaranteed.)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Every time you run a levelling dungeon (in HW+), you are automatically awarded a class appropriate item after completion (excluding the weapon). This is in addition to any regular drops you get.

Since max level dungeons are among the best sources of experience after Levelling roulette and Alliance roulette, it's not a bad idea to hit the Aery a few times once you're there. You'd probably get half-way kitted out. Same for the Vault.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Granted by the time you've run it 10 times you should already be on the next dungeon (or even two dungeons later) but it's a nice bone and sometimes means you can leave your first clear of a leveling dungeon with most of your left side gear upgraded.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nice, I may try that this weekend, unless I decide to level something else :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Thanks y'all.

Maybe I'll just stick to 50 dr and trials with some msq and adr sprinkled in to get to 60 so I don't have to think about it :v:
You don't really have to think about it. I've done late HW leveling dungeons with people in 115 (NQ) gear, it's terrible but they can still finish the dungeons. Smaller pulls and proper use of cooldowns also compensate for lack of gear, and every leveling dungeon gives you one piece for your job you don't have yet (as long as it's on you or in your bags, not on retainers or in your chocobo bag). Since you need about 3 dungeons/level that's 6+ items from eg. the Aery before you move up to the Vault if you exclusively level through the latest dungeon.

And going to a new place with gear that's 1-2 tiers out of date (eg. running Aery with Dusk Vigil and Sohm Al gear) is perfectly fine, in general. Don't listen to people who complain because you're not fully geared up in the same item level the current dungeon drops, that's silly (see also Bardam discussions).

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I did the new MSQ duty as an AST first time no problems, if you can't clear it it's because you aren't pressing your loving buttons.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

oh no blimp issue posted:

I did the new MSQ duty as an AST first time no problems, if you can't clear it it's because you aren't pressing your loving buttons.

What's your weapon / ilvl, for curiosity's sake? I did it as a 385 DRK (seiryu weapon) and the damage race was around half charged. I watched a BIS SAM streamer one-shot one of the swords so it took him a matter of GCDs to do the whole thing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How fast does his ultimate attack go off? I'm i399 as RDM and his swords shattered pretty quickly. That could just be because of Dualcast, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit I am surprised everyone isn't one 390 by now. I have more Gen than I know what to do with