Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ziploc posted:

Personal preference. I prefer that it function like a normal shifter.

What do you mean by that? Normal shifters return to center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

wolrah posted:

What do you mean by that? Normal shifters return to center.

Did you watch the two videos? The CAE shifter returns to center gate WHILE you're in 1st or 2nd.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What do you mean? Mine doesn’t do that.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So this video is incorrect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9x1xybRhxc

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The CAE seems rather pointless. If you are getting that deep into the gearbox just go the extra mile and put in a sequential transmission with a selector drum.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 27, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Combat Theory posted:

The CAE seems rather pointless. If you are getting that deep into the gearbox just go the extra mile and put in a sequential transmission with a selector drum.

wat, it bolts on in place of the stock shifter and reuses the stock selector rod

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Wait how does that 2-3 shift work if you keep the stock selector internals

E: talking about the video posted above where the whole thing returns to center while in gear

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s a solid thing. Is that not just it resting up against the gates at its most central point. It has no way to be recentring properly.

Also why not buy a sequential?! Because it’s about £15k vs £800 for an exciting rifle bolt short throw up by your wheel haha

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Also 1500 euros for that thing is bold. That's like half way to a used sequential transmission over here and the used sequential will propably live longer than the original synchronization if you rock that shifter like they are apparently supposed to be rocked.

800 pound sounds more like it. Motorsport parts imports are costing an arm and a leg :argh:

Also spare quaife 60G sequential with 0 hours run for around 6000 here, gotta wait for end of season usually and you may get them even cheaper.

Shouldn't have looked. Custom dogbox kit from Finnland for 4000 Euro. I want.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 27, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so how much is it to have a fresh stock engine dropped into an e90m3?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/los-angeles-2011-e90-m3-zcp-seized-motor/6842937561.html

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If it returns to center when you're in 1st, how do you take it out of gear? what happens if you try to put it in, say, 3rd?

Also to me those seem like a great way to destroy syncros.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

15k for a car with a seized engine? What?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess I misread it before. Returning to center like that seems really stupid and I don't see the point aside from 2-3.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

About 13000 for a brand new replacement engine.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

jamal posted:

If it returns to center when you're in 1st, how do you take it out of gear? what happens if you try to put it in, say, 3rd?

Also to me those seem like a great way to destroy syncros.

It only returns to center left to right, it doesn't move forward and back (into/out of gear).

So it always returns to the 3/4 gear position, you pull or push back to neutral to take it out of gear.

This is a race only part where you destroy synchros after a few season anyway, where you are more concerned about money shifting due to a frantic gear change than some wear on synchros.
When racing you'll always be high up in the RPM, so you'd already know 1st vs 3rd vs 5th gear, and same as 2nd, 4th, 6th, so you just check speed/engine rpm and is the gear level forward or backwards to tell what gear you're in.

Popular with the e36 m3 tranny as those synchros are really durable.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The boxes are dirt cheap used too. MUST BE NICE

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If anything it seems having the shifter centered would make money shifts easier to do.

Like, you want to go 5th to 4th, you're used to the stick moving to the left, but now you just pull straight back. So you make that back and to the left shift and whoops there's 2nd. Or you want to go 5th to 6th, and have to actively move the stick over to the right instead of it being a straight back motion, wind up in 4th instead. And I want to go 2nd to 3rd, but oops I shifted in to 5th.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It only does the centering action for 1 and 2

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

About 13000 for a brand new replacement engine.

Is that for short block or long block?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It feels great and I am lost. I have probably 8 or 9 pals who run them and they all love it too. No issues.
I’d go and make a video of mine but it’s up on axel stands lolllllllll

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

So like, you're in 1st, pull straight back, it goes to 2nd. Push straight forward, go to 3rd. Pull straight back again, go to 4th. That seems nice. I guess I'd worry a little about that disconnect that happens between the lever and shift rods though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jamal posted:

So like, you're in 1st, pull straight back, it goes to 2nd. Push straight forward, go to 3rd. Pull straight back again, go to 4th. That seems nice. I guess I'd worry a little about that disconnect that happens between the lever and shift rods though.

It looks like you still pull it to the left like you were shifting into second from neutral. This thing seems like it is training you to money shift something at some point by forgetting what style of transmission is in what car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cojawfee posted:

It looks like you still pull it to the left like you were shifting into second from neutral. This thing seems like it is training you to money shift something at some point by forgetting what style of transmission is in what car.

You're going to lose your mind when you find out about GP Shift and traditional shifting on motorcycles :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Popete posted:

15k for a car with a seized engine? What?

this car would probably fetch 30-35k in normal running condition

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Is that for short block or long block?

Nevermind, I was wrong

Both short blocks. High price new, low price factory refurbished

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 27, 2019

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

Cojawfee posted:

supposed to eliminate money shifts as each shift is much more deliberate. the 5th to 3rd and accidentally getting 1st is the most common money shift that i'm aware of, this basically eliminates it. would be the same for 6th to 4th and getting 2nd.
feels like a super tight rifle, even better than the AKG motorsports shifter on a freshly rebuilt e36 tranny (only comparison i have for the cae shifter i tried).

you definitely need to practice on it as its a different shifting style than a normal H pattern.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I have a friend who runs a high end body shop here in LA and might be able to keep an eye out for a rollover/rear end totalled one for you if you were to take the chance. He's very good at finding stuff, and he's got a really good BMW mechanic who could do the work. Complete spitball on my part, but maybe $10k-12k? less if you have cash/the car has other usable parts he wants?

PM me if you want to talk about it more.

I'm going to the Petersen Automotive Museum today with my mom, was thinking I'd take the Miata but it's kind of chilly (65) so I think we're taking the M3 instead.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

crazzy posted:

supposed to eliminate money shifts as each shift is much more deliberate. the 5th to 3rd and accidentally getting 1st is the most common money shift that i'm aware of, this basically eliminates it. would be the same for 6th to 4th and getting 2nd.
feels like a super tight rifle, even better than the AKG motorsports shifter on a freshly rebuilt e36 tranny (only comparison i have for the cae shifter i tried).

you definitely need to practice on it as its a different shifting style than a normal H pattern.

Why does this Z3 not have the center thing going on for 1st and 2nd? This is what I don't understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4j4fPV_g14

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I went and did the thing
http://imgur.com/a/m0fnnju

Needs a detail and new tires pretty soon but lol idc

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Anger the masses and complete the first (to my knowledge) S55 swap into an E9X.

Check M3 post classifieds. Deans Bimmer I think had a complete fresh motor, new bearings et all for a reasonable price. Like $10k?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Probably seized on track, poor bastard. Tire bluing is still there.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

You're going to lose your mind when you find out about GP Shift and traditional shifting on motorcycles :v:

In other words, what not to send a 17 year old out on track with for their first time on a race bike when they grew up riding motorcycles with traditional patterns!

Hint: the motor did not survive going from the top of 3rd to the top of 2nd :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

rscott posted:

I went and did the thing

Welcome to owning the coolest BMW. Swap out for some black grilles.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Welcome to owning the coolest BMW. Swap out for some black grilles.

the M Sport option blacks everything out but the kidneys for some reason

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

rscott posted:

I went and did the thing

What's the style of those wheels?

Would I be able to swap those directly onto my 128i Msport?

Would it cost an unreasonable amount to buy those wheels, though?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They're style 261s IIRC, should be easy enough to find on BMW forums

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yeeessss more people need to get 135i’s

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Probably about the same as an LS7?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Probably seized on track, poor bastard. Tire bluing is still there.

Yeah the R888s kind of give that away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insy
Jul 3, 2002
#crackhouse superstar
I have a 2012 135i (N55) m-package w/ manual, and I'm not sure what to do with it. She's up to 82k miles. I've had the HPFP replaced at 75k miles after I nearly drove it to empty and it started hopping at start (emissions warranty if you can believe it). I've had the electrical swapped out under recall after it kept dying spontaneously, and now it seems happy. It handles like a sweet sauce, with hydraulic steering, but there's so much I can think to do.

I've only done an ECU mod via MHD (stage 1+ until the weather warms up, the built-in intercooler is pretty good). and upgraded the tires to Pilot Sport 4s.

It doesn't have an LSD, and the open diff is welded on so it would require some machining to redo it ($2000 at my mechanic). The brakes kind-of suck and at this point mine need replacement, rotors too ($1200 at the stealer? more for bigger brakes). The body rolls a bit more than I'd like it to (>$2500 for a good set of coilovers?). It's supposedly leaking out of the oil filter gasket ($1000 at the stealer). For a little while, it was slipping the clutch in 6th gear under WOT between 2500-3300 RPM, but it's not been slipping lately ($1500 at the stealer? more for a solid flywheel and a beefier clutch).

In my heart I know it could be even more fun than it already is. I'd love to do a coil-over setup, put in an LSD, put in an aftermarket intercooler, and put on some super-light Enkei wheels, but even the misc repairs I'm facing are half the value of the car. What should I do? I have multiple angels/devils in my head saying: "gently caress you don't do anything, drive it until it dies", "spend ten thousand repairing it and tune it until you die", "trade it and get some used jap box that lets you drive until your wallet is fat", "trade it in for a sexier m2", "gently caress Germany, get a Gulia and enjoy the babes"

halp