Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Let’s say hypothetically one was having finance issues and sold their 2018 pro 12.9 and knew it was the right call at the time but missed all its utility and usefulness in their day to day life and realized they would want to get it again sometime soon... fortunes permitting...

Have there been any recent releases or revelations in the world of folio-style cases one should consider?

One may have owned a Pad & Quill Contega Thin and thought it decent but very overpriced for essentially being fabric-bound cardboard, for reference...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How do I take a PDF that's on my desktop and put it on an iPad? I thought you would use iTunes but apparently not anymore. I tried to download it from the website it was on but am apparently too stupid to figure out how to save it to the device. I thought I had but then when I clicked on it to open it just disappeared and didn't open.

Edit: And like always I bitched on the internet and then immediately found the right google search. If there's an easier way than opening a thing in Safari and copying to iBooks I would love to hear it.

Len fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 27, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Directly, I don’t think you can. I’d guess the easiest would be to use your iCloud Drive (assuming you have that installed on your desktop) then using Files on your iPad to open it.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 27, 2019

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Len posted:

How do I take a PDF that's on my desktop and put it on an iPad? I thought you would use iTunes but apparently not anymore. I tried to download it from the website it was on but am apparently too stupid to figure out how to save it to the device. I thought I had but then when I clicked on it to open it just disappeared and didn't open.

Edit: And like always I bitched on the internet and then immediately found the right google search. If there's an easier way than opening a thing in Safari and copying to iBooks I would love to hear it.

Put it in Dropbox, open in Dropbox app on iPad? Email it to yourself? Downloading from the website on your iPad also should definitely work, unless I'm missing something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

sourdough posted:

Put it in Dropbox, open in Dropbox app on iPad? Email it to yourself? Downloading from the website on your iPad also should definitely work, unless I'm missing something.

I couldn't find a download button right away. I eventually found save to ibooks. Is there an easier way?

Also I've never been able to save an attachment from Gmail. I assume I'm missing something because there has to be way right?

I'm used to Android devices where to do that I would just plug it into a computer and click and drag and most times I try to use iTunes it fights me by failing to do things like transfer a podcast three times before finally working.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
iOS doesn’t have a user-accessible file system. You can’t save files to it directly, only into certain apps.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So the only way to get a PDF from a desktop to an iPad is to jump through hoops then?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Len posted:

So the only way to get a PDF from a desktop to an iPad is to jump through hoops then?

Email it to yourself?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Len posted:

Use iCloud and/or Dropbox.

Then use the Files app.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Len posted:

There is no “right-click, send to iPad” if that’s what you’re looking for. One intermediate step is required.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You could air drop it if you have a Mac.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Matt Zerella posted:

Email it to yourself?

File I am trying to attach exceeds the 25 mb limit.

But also an unrelated PDF doesn't give a download option? Unless it's more complicated than just clicking download like on my phone. I asked how to do that two or three posts ago

MarcusSA posted:

You could air drop it if you have a Mac.

Using Windows

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

There is no “right-click, send to iPad” if that’s what you’re looking for. One intermediate step is required.

This is what I want. I already have it downloaded and available offline. Im not sure I understand why the only way to put it on an iPad is to use the internet to redownload it. I used to be able to use iTunes for that and it worked about as well as could be expected from iTunes.

Len fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 27, 2019

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Len posted:

I couldn't find a download button right away. I eventually found save to ibooks. Is there an easier way?

Also I've never been able to save an attachment from Gmail. I assume I'm missing something because there has to be way right?

I'm used to Android devices where to do that I would just plug it into a computer and click and drag and most times I try to use iTunes it fights me by failing to do things like transfer a podcast three times before finally working.

Yeah I mostly use Android, but have an iPad for reading, so I'm not 100% sure. I usually just use Dropbox, then can open a PDF in Adobe from it (I think you have to share or something, some unintuitive button that means "share to another app"). But I put stuff into my Dropbox from a computer, almost never from an Android or iPad.

Maybe the hang up is you're trying to control the file system. Like, don't think about it as downloading a Gmail attachment to somewhere, just click the attachment and open it in whatever app you want to use to actually view it. Then that app should have a local copy it can access. Trying to set up some folder structure on the iPad isn't the way to go about it, for better or worse.

Len posted:

File I am trying to attach exceeds the 25 mb limit.

But also an unrelated PDF doesn't give a download option? Unless it's more complicated than just clicking download like on my phone. I asked how to do that two or three posts ago

Using Windows

Yeah maybe it's the file structure issue for you. I think the workflow you want is to open the PDF in Chrome or Safari, then share/whatever the button is to whatever PDF viewer you actually want to use. I think that's the intended way to grab a PDF from the internet. You don't hit download and pick where it goes, you just open it in whatever app you want via your browser sharing to that app.

Edit: At least, this is all my take on it, as someone who only uses an iPad occasionally and is on Windows or Android for most everything, I could be wrong

sourdough fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 27, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I just keep all my documents in Google Drive and access that through a file manager/document reader app like Documents or GoodReader. Needs status: suited.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Same, but iCloud Drive.

Also Apple seems to think a wired transfer through iTunes still works, so I don’t know. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Same, but iCloud Drive.

Also Apple seems to think a wired transfer through iTunes still works, so I don’t know. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301

Yeah I couldn't get the thing to accept my PDF so maybe it still does with some?

I dunno mostly I use my iPad to watch Netflix or play games.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had to get a PDF from Dropbox to my work computer today and my job blocks all cloud services except for their corporate OneNote. So it was export from Dropbox to my Readdle Documents app on my iPhone, which is one of the locations my Edison email app can attach files from. Then I emailed it to myself. I’m not going to say how long it took me to figure out that combination of apps, but it was a frustrating amount of time.

Ironically I never saw an iCloud option, which would have worked too since IT Security will let me log into iCloud.com.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Len posted:

Yeah I couldn't get the thing to accept my PDF so maybe it still does with some?

I dunno mostly I use my iPad to watch Netflix or play games.

You need apps that support that file transfer from iTunes. Maybe good reader? Other than that it wouldn’t surprise me if most apps are going the cloud route.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
May pickup a new 10.5” air when they hit stores, perfect option when the power of the pro really isn’t needed but it’s still plenty beefy.

I don’t think I’d need more than the 64GB either

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Len posted:

I’m late to the party, but Pushbullet can do this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Len posted:

If you’re on a Mac post-2011(?) and you have clearance you can use Airdrop.

Edit: somehow missed that exchange

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Len posted:

Airdrop it if you're on a Mac.

Edit: So did I.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Len posted:

Not sure on desktop to iPad anymore (...I think since everything is connected enough at my house that the iPad can just download from the desktop through however many apps), but if you’re looking at a PDF on the iPad itself, hit the share arrow, Save to Files, which opens up a file browser dialog. (Or if you have a link to the file, long press to get the menu, Share, Save to Files)

...which is kinda weird because how iOS' file structure works (that it exposes to users at least). I’d use something like Readdle Documents/PDF Expert (fancier paid version of Documents essentially) and keep it as offline pseudo traditional file system storage. I think they also have a feature so you can mount their storage as a network file share on your computer so you can transfer that way. Otherwise toss stuff in whatever cloud storage of your choice, I think most if not all support the file browser dialog, so they’ll work the same way.

eames
May 9, 2009

Resilio Sync works well for file syncing like this. It is cross platform and allows for quick syncing of files without downloading the whole folder. I used it a few years ago when I had an iPad.
The limitations you're running into are the exact reason why I personally can't use iOS for more than content consumption.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A few years ago meaning before ios11? Because Files works well and supports opening individual files from iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Amazon Drive, and Box. Probably a few others.

If a person really, really doesn’t want to use a cloud service for whatever reason, apps like Filebrowser will let you add local network shared drives as Locations in the Files app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Files is great now because if you have Dropbox or Google Drive or whatever installed then Files can directly access them. This means that any app that works with Files can also access your Dropbox account, even if that app wasn't programmed to work with Dropbox. On iOS everything happens through the Share button. Tap to share the PDF and then choose an action to take (ie, save to Dropbox, save to OneDrive, email to person, open in another app, etc). For PDF I recommend PDF Expert. The free tier allows you to do everything other than changing actual text words (but you can highlight, annotate, etc still).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

PDF Expert is not free, but the “Documents” app from the same developer is and offers a similar experience if all you’re looking to do is view PDFs.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought PDF Expert was free to download and use most features, and $10 unlocked the text editing feature? I already bought it so I can’t see how much it costs anymore but I do see a $10 IAP.

e: v I mean that in the app store it shows there's a $10 IAP. I already paid for it so I can't see how much it costs to download the app (which is why I thought it was free).

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 27, 2019

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought PDF Expert was free to download and use most features, and $10 unlocked the text editing feature? I already bought it so I can’t see how much it costs anymore but I do see a $10 IAP.

Try unlocking that feature. If you previously paid money for it, they grandfathered you into the editing feature. At least, they did for me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: v I mean that in the app store it shows there's a $10 IAP. I already paid for it so I can't see how much it costs to download the app (which is why I thought it was free).

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I’m in the market for a new iPad, and am torn on the new iPad Air and the iPad Mini. I currently have a 9.7” 2017 iPad.

I don’t know what one will suit me more. I mainly use the iPad as a media consumption device, watching Netflix, Twitch and such. I also browse these gay dead forums on it as well. I don’t really do very much work on it, if any at all, outside of emails. My issue with it is the amount of storage I have (32GB) isn’t enough for all the apps I have on it, thus wanting to upgrade.

Am I wrong in thinking the mini might be right for me? The last iPad mini I’ve held was the 2nd gen, and I’m assuming the size will be the same as that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BoyBlunder posted:

I’m in the market for a new iPad, and am torn on the new iPad Air and the iPad Mini. I currently have a 9.7” 2017 iPad.

I don’t know what one will suit me more. I mainly use the iPad as a media consumption device, watching Netflix, Twitch and such. I also browse these gay dead forums on it as well. I don’t really do very much work on it, if any at all, outside of emails. My issue with it is the amount of storage I have (32GB) isn’t enough for all the apps I have on it, thus wanting to upgrade.

Am I wrong in thinking the mini might be right for me? The last iPad mini I’ve held was the 2nd gen, and I’m assuming the size will be the same as that?

The form factor is going to be identical to the older mini. To be honest, if you don’t need the extra CPU horsepower, you can get the 2018 iPad new with 128gb storage for close to the same price of the 64gb mini, less if you find it on sale or get a refurb. The mini, Air, and regular iPad all have the same resolution so I don’t think you’ll really notice the difference between the 9.7” iPad and the Air unless they’re side by side.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

I’m in this exact same boat but with an older iPad. I think I’m going with the mini for two reasons:

I sometimes hesitated to pull out the iPad due to size, and opted for my phone instead.

I want pencil support.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I lived having the Mini size, and while I like my 10.5” pro, i def miss it.

Don’t underestimate the value of the better screen for the Mini and new Air vs the 9.7” iPad. If you’re browsing the internet and watching video, for a lot of people the difference could be worth it even before you factor in the better processor.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Best Buy and Amazon have the iPad Pro 11" (and 12.9) on sale. I was debating on getting the iPad Air but at $175 more I feel like the Pro will be worth the extra cash. If you want small Mini is the only way to fly

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
Is it possible to hide the “slide over”-app with a keyboard shortcut?

eames
May 9, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The form factor is going to be identical to the older mini. To be honest, if you don’t need the extra CPU horsepower, you can get the 2018 iPad new with 128gb storage for close to the same price of the 64gb mini, less if you find it on sale or get a refurb. The mini, Air, and regular iPad all have the same resolution so I don’t think you’ll really notice the difference between the 9.7” iPad and the Air unless they’re side by side.

The regular iPad's screen isn't laminated. The difference was immediately obvious to me when I first saw the regular 2018 iPad. There's also the extended color space and truetone. I'm tempted to get a mini, the only thing that strikes me as odd that it seems to have a home button with physical button travel. Not sure about the air. I'm waiting to see both in person.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eames posted:

The regular iPad's screen isn't laminated. The difference was immediately obvious to me when I first saw the regular 2018 iPad. There's also the extended color space and truetone. I'm tempted to get a mini, the only thing that strikes me as odd that it seems to have a home button with physical button travel. Not sure about the air. I'm waiting to see both in person.

Yeah but the person they are replying to has the 2017 iPad which isn't laminated either.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The Air has a slightly bigger screen/more pixels, although no clue how noticeable it is in practice. Besides the two gen newer CPU, the new Air/mini also have 3GB vs 2GB RAM. If you plan to keep it as long as possible it’s something to keep in mind.

Course with some deals you’ll save a bunch by going with the 9.7.

gariig posted:

Best Buy and Amazon have the iPad Pro 11" (and 12.9) on sale. I was debating on getting the iPad Air but at $175 more I feel like the Pro will be worth the extra cash. If you want small Mini is the only way to fly
Yeah at that price difference I think I’d go with the Pro too, it’s an improvement in every way I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That Best Buy sale seems to be today only, by the way.