Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Riatsala posted:

So now that I'm on cycle 60 and seem to have staved off heat death for a while through the introduction of a half dozen wheezeworts and a broken ring of insulated tile, I'm turning my eye towards water purification. Is it true that pumping water into a container that sits in chlorine will purify it of all germs?
It is true, but remember that polluted water found in the wild is germ-free — all you have to do is sieve it (and maybe cool it down).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey aren't they releasing the QoL patches three weeks ahead of schedule? If so, the next one is due tomorrow.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Riatsala posted:

So now that I'm on cycle 60 and seem to have staved off heat death for a while through the introduction of a half dozen wheezeworts and a broken ring of insulated tile, I'm turning my eye towards water purification. Is it true that pumping water into a container that sits in chlorine will purify it of all germs?

I reached cycle 60 for the first time last night and I was thinking I finally got the hang of this game when I read this post and now I'm worried my dupes are heading toward a "heat death" because I have no idea what that is. Will my base continue to get hotter and hotter? What horrible calamity have I overlooked in my hubris? :ohdear:

Best beginner moment thus far: One of my dupes suffocated on farts. 10/10 would recommend.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

ExtraNoise posted:

I reached cycle 60 for the first time last night and I was thinking I finally got the hang of this game when I read this post and now I'm worried my dupes are heading toward a "heat death" because I have no idea what that is. Will my base continue to get hotter and hotter? What horrible calamity have I overlooked in my hubris? :ohdear:

Best beginner moment thus far: One of my dupes suffocated on farts. 10/10 would recommend.

The average temperature in the asteroid is higher than many crops and critters can tolerate, plus some buildings and natural features will add more heat over time. As heat moves around to approach the average, the starting area will flip from "everything is fine, nothing is on fire" to this-is-fine.jpg very suddenly if you haven't taken precautions.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 27, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Biggest thing to do early on is to keep heat producing buildings out of your main base area. These are usually power generators, transformers, I think batteries, and the stealthiest killer of them all; filtered water. It comes out of the water sieve at 40c. The most common mistake is to use that untreated in bathrooms and crops.

Keep heat makers and hot water out of your base from the get-go and you've bought yourself quite a lot of time to fix the heat death issue, so you can put it low on the priority list of "will this kill me in the next few cycles?" Start at the top of that list and address the problems one after another until you reach a steady state and before you know it you'll have bases hundreds of cycles long.

Where is that list and how do you find out what is on top? It's in your head and you find out by playing until everything dies hideous deaths you didn't see coming. Then you add that death to the bottom of your list, start over again and tackle all the hideous deaths you've seen before the last one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Composters. Don’t forget them for heat (although just on principle you’d probably have them “outside” anyway). I think the dirt they produce is 70C?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I think the dirt they produce is 70C?

Do things cool down to room temperature?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

ExtraNoise posted:

Do things cool down to room temperature?

It transfers heat with its surroundings, if that's what you mean. If you compost anything into dirt, its 70C. That dirt will come down in temperature by heating up whatever else is around it. Including farms or research stations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

ExtraNoise posted:

If you don't lose at least one colony to encroaching heat that kills all your crops and starves your dupes I don't think you're getting the full ONI experience.

I'm still figuring it out myself, it's been my great filter for the later parts of the game. So far my coping mechanisms have included avoiding coal power as much as possible, ringing the colony with insilated tiles, pitting my crops in the dead center of the starting zone as well as doing my best to make sure that water and oxygen coming in are cold as possible by snaking vents through water reservoirs and cooling off purified water before it re-enters storage.

It's been a sneaky killer for me, because prevention seems as important as reaction

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ExtraNoise posted:

Heat death is probably not something you should REALLY worry about too much if you've never made it that far before because other things are much more likely to mess you up before then, but it is healthy to be aware of it. Basically what it boils down to is that there are usually more ways to create heat than there are to remove it, so over time your base will just get hotter and hotter. This isn't REALLY a problem for dupes themselves because the temperature required for them to start taking damage is pretty high (I think 70C?), but most of the food you'll be relying on comes from plants that stop growing when the ambient temperature hits 30 or 35C, which isn't that much higher than the initial temperature in the starting biome.

The main way to combat it is wheezeworts, since you can place them pretty much anywhere. Anti-Entropy Thermo-Nullifiers work much faster, but have to be found by digging around so their placement is not always convenient. They also need a supply of hydrogen to run but they don't need very much so this isn't a big deal. You honestly probably don't need to worry about taking the average temperature down EVERYWHERE - if the asteroid overall gets hot but your main base area is kept temperate then you're still fine.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Qol 3: Redo of diseases. Reclassification of jobs.

quote:

New and Notable Features

Major Disease rebalance
Sicknesses are more frequent but less deadly
Immune system removed, germs have direct chance to infect
New Medical skills
New Doctor and Advanced Doctor Stations
Medicine redesigned
Jobs system is now Skills system
Experience is gained up front and then spent on Skills
Skills Screen (formerly Jobs screen) displays acquired skills per-Dupe
Morale Expectation is cumulative per skill learned, rather than tiered
Steam Turbine rebuild
New Skill Respeccing Station
New Ice Maker
Cooling Fan rebuilt to consume ice
New Conveyor Shutoff Valve
New Conveyor Ore Dropper
New Automated Ore Dropper
New Material overlay screen

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Oh sweet jesus that sounds really good

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

quote:

Unsuited Dupes will strongly prefer not to walk underwater if possible

Thank loving god.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Ice Flingomatic when

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mazz posted:

Oh sweet jesus that sounds really good

:yeah:
Wonder if the skill changes will make learning more or less of a god stat.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Holy moley. I just got done complaining about how chlorine isn't a useful gas, germs need some changing to increase the value of chlorine, and the steam turbine is really clunky. And bam, they drop this.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ugh I'll have to restart my game to fully use these awesome changes AGAIN

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

It also looks like the steam turbine now works by pulling in steam above 125C scaling to 175C for power, and outputs water at 95C, and there doesn't need to be a very large pressure differential anymore. I wonder if it will still be a heat destroyer or not.

In other news, I am setting up a steam turbine in my current game and completely jacked up the build the first time. Can't wait for them to simplify these things a bit.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Would love to see a working steam turbine build when you folks get to it :).

insta
Jan 28, 2009

User0015 posted:

It also looks like the steam turbine now works by pulling in steam above 125C scaling to 175C for power, and outputs water at 95C, and there doesn't need to be a very large pressure differential anymore. I wonder if it will still be a heat destroyer or not.

In other news, I am setting up a steam turbine in my current game and completely jacked up the build the first time. Can't wait for them to simplify these things a bit.

Reboiling the 95C water will do a good job destroying heat still ... I hope.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

insta posted:

Reboiling the 95C water will do a good job destroying heat still ... I hope.

Supposedly it's power 'neutral' if you run an aquatuner with the turbine. I don't think you need to actually pipe the steam back to the bottom of the turbine anymore, so it's just the aquatuner pulling power, plus maybe a pump (unless you create a flow loop instead?)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Gadzuko posted:

Less, is my guess.

“Morale Expectation is cumulative per skill learned, rather than tiered”

All yer dupes are going to be specialized now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gadzuko posted:

I tried starting a new game and it really feels like you at least need a solid learning dude early on, but other than that it becomes less important.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

No more jack of all trades dupes, at least if you play a normal game because apparently you can't get morale high enough to let them learn everything without flipping out over lack of morale.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Played with the new skill system a bunch. Not a huge fan so far. Specifically, it feels pretty stupid to gain a bunch of experience doing A, B and C activities, and then allocating a point into and gaining expertise in D. Feels like very lazy game design. (For reference, I'm a big fan of Elder Scrolls type skill systems, where you only excel at stuff you continuously do.)

I understand where they were going with the whole thing: they didn't want dupes mastering everything. But, why the hell not? If you have a colony that runs for 500 cycles, why shouldn't that be sufficient time for dupes to develop multiple masteries?

I think a hybrid approach would work best: dupes should slowly gain experience with skills as they perform related activities (digging, construction, etc.), and Jobs should have skill-level requirements (e.g. Apprentice Miner requires Digging 3), and assigning them to a job that corresponds to that skill should increase rate of experience gain while performing that activity and make it easier to reach the threshold for the next tier of that job. They could even make it so that unused skills atrophy slowly, in order to discourage players from switching dupes to different jobs too frequently.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

It really promotes eeking out more and more morale boosters, which means your dupes get better and better. In the old system, you could just eat mushrooms forever and never worry about things like espresso machines or such. Now, every little morale bonus you can squeeze out directly translates into more skills. It's a really, really good design.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I understand what you are saying as it relates to the relationship between morale and skills/jobs, but it doesn't really refute anything I said.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

enraged_camel posted:

I understand what you are saying as it relates to the relationship between morale and skills/jobs, but it doesn't really refute anything I said.

Does it have to or can it just be commentary on the new system? Like, if no one here can refute your idea, it gets implemented?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Hello Sailor posted:

Does it have to or can it just be commentary on the new system? Like, if no one here can refute your idea, it gets implemented?

Precisely

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How long until we know about the new biomes?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Did they remove learning attribute?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
How do I make the infinite gas storage trick work? It just works and looks so much better then giant columns of gas storage containers.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demon_Corsair posted:

How do I make the infinite gas storage trick work? It just works and looks so much better then giant columns of gas storage containers.

You need a vent over a tiny bit of water. No more than 1800g on a normal vent or 20kg on a high pressure vent (the latter is pretty easy since usually water only hits 10kg per tile). What will happen is that the liquid will prevent any gases from entering the tile but not block the vent from working, so any gases it puts out will get pushed into an adjacent tile and just keep doing it forever.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
the easiest way to do it with a normal vent is put a storage down next to the vent, lower the storage amount to like 2-3kg, and move some ice in. you'll get like exactly 600-1500g of water per tile when it melts, which will be nearly instantly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Sillybones posted:

Did they remove learning attribute?

What version are you playing? If the experimental, there's been no confirmation of what happened to learning. So far I like the skill system better than the old system since you can get a rancher much much faster under the new system (assuming you can do the morale requirements; note that if the dupe likes the job the morale requirement is lowered for that dupe in that job).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

By the way, the excellent ONI Biology chart is gone for good apparently. Sigh.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mayveena posted:

By the way, the excellent ONI Biology chart is gone for good apparently. Sigh.

I googled it, and the post on the forums may be gone but Google still has(d) a cache of the page. I was able to save it to pdf and as html. No idea how long the cache will be around for, though.

Any idea why it was removed?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Don't think I've seen a biology chart, what was/is it?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ambaire posted:

I googled it, and the post on the forums may be gone but Google still has(d) a cache of the page. I was able to save it to pdf and as html. No idea how long the cache will be around for, though.

Any idea why it was removed?

Apparently its author got angry because Klei wasn't fixing the bugs they (he? she? singular they is not working in this sentence) thought they should fix and they (?) felt unappreciated. Can you post the pdf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Don't think I've seen a biology chart, what was/is it?

A great chart that helped tremendously with ranching as it showed all you needed to know about what came from what and what food needed to be used to get what you wanted.