Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeesh. Nevermind. I think I'll just go find that 60fps Mouselook Goldeneye hack again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeesh. Nevermind. I think I'll just go find that 60fps Mouselook Goldeneye hack again.

You could also go hold Nintendo execs ransom until they allow Microsoft/Rare to publish the full on HD port of Goldeneye they prepared for the 360 at the same time they made the Perfect Dark port to the 360. It was really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRRuhviJGMQ

(And nintendo was the only rightsholder involved who refused to authorize the release, they'd gotten signoffs from the James Bond franchise company and the other game publisher who held the normal Bond game title rights at the time)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Mordja posted:

Prodeus KS is up, off to a pretty good start, looks like. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prodeus/prodeus

Shipping with a map editor, which is nice, and the pitch-vid's got footage with the filters turned down. Aiming for Early Access in the fall.

I'm still not that interested in the game, but I'd buy an Asset Store package of the map editor. Looks like a pretty slick runtime ProBuilder

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

What the gently caress is Wolf Cyberpilot? I know what Youngblood is, but Cyberpilot?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sum VR poo poo

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

BattleMaster posted:

It looks like one of those 90s-inspired shooters like Strafe that are made by people who haven't actually played any 90s shooters. Like the only thing that's retro about it is some pixels with hard corners

Yeah, that was my take on it. I remember saying when the game got brought up in the thread a while ago that it looked like "retro" as done by people that think retro means "intentionally looks like poo poo".

I'm hoping that was early alpha footage because it's just proving my point. Mocking something popular being the entire point and designing it for a proprietary console everyone forgot about after two years is about as authentically '90s as you could get, though, so props to it for that.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Prodeus more looks like if one of the Brutal mods became its own game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The plasma shotgun is maybe my favorite thing in DRLA. I have a backpack that continually regenerates cells. I’m just going to fire forever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

timn posted:

Yall are a bunch of ninnies. Devs can superficially mimic and exaggerate motifs from the past in any way they want. Replicating what things used to look like isn't the point.

Well yeah, they can, but I think Prodeus is providing pretty good evidence that if you're gonna do that then you also should make sure it looks coherent.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
when i replay quake 1 i always turn animation interpolation off because i just kind of like the look, but prodeus doing it makes me think i only like that look in quake 1, probably just nostalgia.

it just does not look right with the high def models and weird glistening specular lighting on everything. it looks like a cyborg jerked off onto every environment.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Pathos posted:

What the gently caress is Wolf Cyberpilot? I know what Youngblood is, but Cyberpilot?

VR spin-off like Doom VFR was.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

the nucas posted:

when i replay quake 1 i always turn animation interpolation off because i just kind of like the look, but prodeus doing it makes me think i only like that look in quake 1, probably just nostalgia.

it just does not look right with the high def models and weird glistening specular lighting on everything. it looks like a cyborg jerked off onto every environment.
I experimented a bit with it in Quakespasm, and I must admit, running Quake on my 144Hz monitor but with monster interpolation turned off, it winds up creating this weird, surreal Ray Harryhausen feel to the whole affair. Like you're the only real human actor in a world otherwise populated by claymation horrors. I still prefer having model lerping on overall, but it's nifty to toy with.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Well yeah, they can, but I think Prodeus is providing pretty good evidence that if you're gonna do that then you also should make sure it looks coherent.

I think it's pretty coherent, just unconventional per classic FPS norms. GBA-itized DO4M is actually a really apt description, but maybe closer to Doom 3 and similar ilk from the mid to late 2000's. It reminds me of 3d games on the original DS which had this unique style of modern visual design crammed into early 3d era levels of fidelity.

the nucas posted:

In this case the choppy animation definitely falls flat when the models start looking more like models instead of sprites.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The main thing that makes me not as bearish on Prodeus as I otherwise could be is that they still seem to have only the "Doom 3 base" textureset/architecture implemented. Between how one-note it is and the fact that it's been criticized (fairly or not) as being fairly derivative, I'd have thought that showing some variety would be a priority for their kickstarter pitch. Like, what's on the other side of that orange portal in a few of the videos?

Compare it to something like Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, which has a smaller amount of total media available but is already much more enticing on the level design front.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Nice that I can buy Doom Eternal on Steam, but that's old news since Civvie 11 just posted a video about the Serious Sam games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QntpXBjCYQ

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 26, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Serious Sam 2 looks retarded but also kind of good? As weird as I remember it, too.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, he seems to consider it best of the series and that convinced me to buy it. From what I remembered from playing it a long time ago that it was good dumb fun.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 26, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it was a lot goofier than ss1 and 2nd encounter but i enjoyed 2

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He said hitscan about 400 times in that segment, the hitscan complaint has jumped the shark. Kind of a surface level complaint, not really going into the dynamics, just using the word hitscan. The game's got hitscanners, buncha hitscan, it's a big hitscan over here, hitscan killed the radio star. You can have hitscan enemies that aren't annoying with reaction time, having them miss at times etc, where as somebody can fire a rendered thingy at 900 MPH and be a dick, while not hitscan.

"Hitscan is good." - Michael Douglas, Gekko guy, Wall Street 1987.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's weird to me that Prodeus' default settings are gonna turn models into stylized sprites in real time. Why not bake them and make it better performing? I know to fit on a directional sprite sheet they'd probably capture fewer frames but it seems worth it. You can still offer the option to replace them with models but at least the sprite option won't be the oddly worse performing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Has anyone made an FPS that replicates Goldeneye?

Timesplitters?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Serious Sam 2 looks retarded but also kind of good? As weird as I remember it, too.

It's not necessarily a bad game, but I found it kind of disappointing for a few reasons:

1. Compared to TFE, TSE, and even BFE, the weapons feel really unsatisfying to use. They look stupid and many of them fail to convey any tangible weight or "punch". Like, the replacement to the pump-action is a rotary-barrel pipe shotgun that sounds a lot cooler than it is once you see it anemically fart out a shot and barely budge in the process. Hell, they found a way to deprive you of ejecting smoking shells and stuffing fresh rounds into the coach gun, which is practically a mortal sin! Even analogs like SS2's rocket launcher and energy rifle just have fewer things going on with them when they fire and seem weightless compared to, say, the energy rifle's 4 pulsating barrels or TFE/TSE's rotary rocket launcher.

2. The randomized enemy spawns seemed like a novel idea--and it's great that they tried it, since there was the opportunity for it to be a great new feature--but in execution, it made a lot of fights feel loose and sloppy. A lot of Serious Sam fights can boil down to smartly controlling the approaching flow of enemies, but that isn't really a "thing" when they're basically randomly plopping in around you.

3. Maybe due in part to #2, the game seemed like it had a really weird flow to it. Lots of turrets and goofy NPCs to stare at and cutscenes and segments where you stand in a certain spot (like those floating platforms) and occasionally shoot enemies as they spawn.

4. I wasn't sure if I was misremembering this, but I had to check with a few "Let's Plays" and yeah, most fights didn't really approach the sheer enemy-numbers of other Serious Sam games.

Again, it's not a bad game, but I think I enjoyed the big, open sprawls and massive hordes and crunchy weapons of BFE (garbage tight-corridor sections notwithstanding) than most of SS2.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

SS2 had some neat stuff and a lot of secrets but it suffered from trying to be more like a Halo type game with vehicle segments and cutscenes and poo poo. i think their big budget for it went to their heads and they thought they had to go full AAA

edit: whoever got the 'Design a Weapon' tier on the Prodeus kickstarter better make something cool.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 27, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The thing I mostly remember about SS2 is the final boss fight. Or to be exact, the gauntlet just BEFORE the boss fight. There is part where the arena transforms to a gigantic square and you are forced to enter a hover car with laser turrets. Then it'll spawn those bulls that charge at you, alongside those gigantic scorpions that I believe fire slow homing projectiles. It's hard as hell, because you are constantly circle-strafing to avoid the bulls and during that have to dodge those scorpions as well. The vehicle has some health, but it's not enough to deal with the constant enemies. If the vehicle is destroyed you also have Serious Bombs to wipe out all enemies in range, but that won't stop the seemingly endless respawns.

I ended up cheating for that portion, because the final boss was so close. And then the boss is just boring as hell, even with cheats disabled again. Some kind of gigantic pyramid that launches enemies at you and you have to divide your time between those spawns and shooting at a weak spot...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have to agree with Civvie11 that SS BFE is boring as hell and has too many hitscan enemies and weapon reloading. Seriously, reloading the pump shotgun and AR is a drat lovely thing. I also said on this thread several times "gently caress GUARDIAN OF TIME SEGMENT". It's too long, relies too heavily on backtracking to the rocket boxes and ends in a lovely designed boss.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I liked Serious Sam 2 way more than First or Second encounter and have accidentally bought aecond encointer twice thinking it was serious sam 2.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I had a lot more fun in SS2 than any others as well.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My fav is the first one, the first part especially. It was poppin' fresh.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I bought the TFE and TSE HD versions when they were dirt cheap during some sale, and even at that very low price I feel kind of ripped off.

Hyper generic wave shooter with a bunch of insanely questionable hitscanners? Nah. Got bored after the first 5ish levels and never touched them again.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BaconCopter posted:

I bought the TFE and TSE HD versions when they were dirt cheap during some sale, and even at that very low price I feel kind of ripped off.

Hyper generic wave shooter with a bunch of insanely questionable hitscanners? Nah. Got bored after the first 5ish levels and never touched them again.

Was coooool at the time. Game of the year on the Gamespot. There wasn't another game like it, what would make it generic? Gotta review things for when they came out, or at least keep it in mind, or Mario Bros is a generic mascot platformer.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BaconCopter posted:

They were pretty fun coop games back in the day, played for many an hour with a friend.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I was a little disappointed Civvie was playing the HD versions of TFE and TSE, they're missing the insane gravity fuckery you get in Classic.

I'll never forget getting attacked in a cylindrical hallway and being able to roll cannon shots all the way around at the waves. Or playing CTF on a mobeus strip.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The HD versions also get rid of all the style the original games had in favor of more generic graphics.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Probably no one lacks this perspective in this thread, but the first Serious Sam was remarkable in its time--to me, at least--for a variety of reasons:
  • It was colorful and goofy in a time when FPS games were extremely brown and self-serious and only becoming moreso
  • It looked pretty good and ran really well on a variety of hardware, even my clunky trash-machine
  • The smash TV kinda gameplay was simple dumb fun, and having dozens of enemies onscreen on a crappy PC was mildly thrilling
  • The notion of a game development company from that area of the world was novel, and they had sort of an underdog appeal
  • It was bargain-priced relative to the other FPS games of its time, which IIRC were around $40, with SS going for $20
  • In those days, you could and did download demos of every game, and could conceivable have other things to do with your life, so even mediocre games from that era are kinda memorable

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If I ever want to replay SS there is Serious Sam Classics: Revolution, but what is Serious Sam Fusion 2017 (beta) exactly? Does Classics just deal with FE and SE, and does Fusion have everything?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Revolution was a third party attempt to make an updated version of Serious Engine 1 for running FE and SE, and seems to have been abandoned. Fusion is the HD versions of FE and SE and Serious Sam 3 all running on the same engine in the same application, integrated to the point that in multiplayer you can map vote across games.

I think that the best way to replay FE and SE is still the original versions. It seems to be listed on steam as "Serious Sam Classic", distinct from "Serious Sam Classics", but only sold as a bundle with Revolution.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ah, cheers. I own both versions of First Encounter and Second Encounter on Steam, so I got Classics and Fusion for free.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

doctorfrog posted:

Probably no one lacks this perspective in this thread, but the first Serious Sam was remarkable in its time--to me, at least--for a variety of reasons:
  • It was colorful and goofy in a time when FPS games were extremely brown and self-serious and only becoming moreso
  • It looked pretty good and ran really well on a variety of hardware, even my clunky trash-machine
  • The smash TV kinda gameplay was simple dumb fun, and having dozens of enemies onscreen on a crappy PC was mildly thrilling
  • The notion of a game development company from that area of the world was novel, and they had sort of an underdog appeal
  • It was bargain-priced relative to the other FPS games of its time, which IIRC were around $40, with SS going for $20
  • In those days, you could and did download demos of every game, and could conceivable have other things to do with your life, so even mediocre games from that era are kinda memorable

* It was very rare at the time to be able to FPS through absolutely gargantuan outdoor areas so it felt like a fresh experience

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mierenneuker posted:

Ah, cheers. I own both versions of First Encounter and Second Encounter on Steam, so I got Classics and Fusion for free.

One thing i like about croteam is that they make sure long time fans dont have to buy a million versions of the games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wow I never knew FE and SE HD were both stripped down versions of classic. I think I ended up buying them by accident. To this day I'm not even really sure which of the first 3 games I used to play before, but I do know I played through a heap of SS in co-op with some goons drunk off my rear end on Skype in like 2008 and it was great