Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Another enjoyable episode. Nothing stellar, but still solid work.

Only Hanabi was a bit of a downer. Some third rate thieves, and Hanabi of all people doesn't just wipe the floor with them? She didn't use Gentle Fist even once! Also, she should have used the Byakugan to keep tabs on her students while she followed the escaped thieves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/eunnieverse/status/1101867735905124354

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

god that was a fun ep

i'm glad namida learned some proper use for her jutsu and team 15 continues to own. big nue is a good boy

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Torrannor posted:

Another enjoyable episode. Nothing stellar, but still solid work.

Only Hanabi was a bit of a downer. Some third rate thieves, and Hanabi of all people doesn't just wipe the floor with them? She didn't use Gentle Fist even once! Also, she should have used the Byakugan to keep tabs on her students while she followed the escaped thieves.

I'd assume Hanabi was holding back to give her students room to tackle the problem, since low level missions like that are more for the students sake than the teachers from what I gather. That said, it's still weird that she couldn't detect the theives sneaking up with the Byakugan. Or track them and her students at once as you said. Oh well.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm glad Temari was depicted as something other than She Who Must Be Feared in this episode. I mean, she is, but I hate seeing moderately complex characters get reduced to one single unpleasant trait.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm glad Temari was depicted as something other than She Who Must Be Feared in this episode. I mean, she is, but I hate seeing moderately complex characters get reduced to one single unpleasant trait.

Yeah, they did her character a bit more justice. I complained about the Ino-Shika-Cho children not using their non-Leaf parent's jutsus, but Shikadai came through in that regard. By the way, has any other non-Team 7 character gotten as much screentime as Shikadai?

Interesting that they showed a bit more of the modern parts of Boruto, and how it might interact with the ninjas. But they're not going far enough. The nature transformations should probably feature more in everyday life? With four of the five transformations, you can generate power directly or indirectly. Fire jutsus can heat water to drive a turbine, wind and water can drive the turbine directly, and lightning can generate electricity directly. That should probably be exploited. Hospitals using medic-nin like Sakura just makes sense. No fire department should be without water jutsu users, etc.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, they did her character a bit more justice. I complained about the Ino-Shika-Cho children not using their non-Leaf parent's jutsus, but Shikadai came through in that regard. By the way, has any other non-Team 7 character gotten as much screentime as Shikadai?

Interesting that they showed a bit more of the modern parts of Boruto, and how it might interact with the ninjas. But they're not going far enough. The nature transformations should probably feature more in everyday life? With four of the five transformations, you can generate power directly or indirectly. Fire jutsus can heat water to drive a turbine, wind and water can drive the turbine directly, and lightning can generate electricity directly. That should probably be exploited. Hospitals using medic-nin like Sakura just makes sense. No fire department should be without water jutsu users, etc.

I'm pretty sure there WAS an episode that showed that the fire department does actually deploy Water jutsu. Instead of using a hose a lot of them jut started spitting out water in huge streams.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Flytrap posted:

I'm pretty sure there WAS an episode that showed that the fire department does actually deploy Water jutsu. Instead of using a hose a lot of them jut started spitting out water in huge streams.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Putting out fires by giving it a thumbs up.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Interesting that they showed a bit more of the modern parts of Boruto, and how it might interact with the ninjas. <snip> Hospitals using medic-nin like Sakura just makes sense.

It should be Doctor Sakura Uchiha, except this is Naruto, where the only respectable titles end in -nin or -kage.

e. I feel that Dr. S. Uchiha, Ophthalmologist is a joke that wants to be told, except dammit Karin :argh:

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 14, 2019

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

...what do the scrolls and hoses do? What do the hoses do to the scrolls?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Of course Naruto makes all the firemen wear his shippuden pants

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You can seal stuff like fire into scrolls, or weapons like Temari does, so it stands to reason that you can seal water into scrolls, too. So the hoses pump water into the scrolls, and the ninjas use that water for their jutsus? And those hoses don't have the high pressure of modern fire hoses, so it makes sense to do it this way instead of just using the hoses like ordinary firemen would?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, I would assume it's to ensure that lower level jutsu users don't grow tired of generating water from chakra in the middle of putt out a fire.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Of course Naruto makes all the firemen wear his shippuden pants

This goes exactly like Might Guy offering one of his bodysuits, except somehow even worse.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lol Curse Seal back.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I could watch an entire episode of Konohamaru beating the poo poo out of Jugo.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Too bad that probably won't happen again for some time. But it's a clever way to take the powerful jonin out of the picture for a while.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I wonder if this latest anime arc will finally start to move into the Kara stuff. It seems like they've been dropping enough hints at the larger ninja tech arc throughout the series, that they might finally start into it in full. Hopefully handling it better than the manga has...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The problem is that while the manga has been improving a bit lately (in my opinion anyway), it still only comes out monthly so there’s a risk of the anime catching up if it gets too far into it.

I’m sure they’ll start getting into manga content eventually (they started the series with the same flashforward the manga did after all) but for right now they seem to be building up a bit of a buffer first. I’ve enjoyed the anime exclusive arcs for the most part so I’m in no real hurry to start getting into the manga story yet.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The anime is giving me what I wanted from the original manga. Dumb ninja kids getting into dumb ninja kid poo poo.

I do not give a flying gently caress about world ending or nation level threats.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dexo posted:

The anime is giving me what I wanted from the original manga. Dumb ninja kids getting into dumb ninja kid poo poo.

I do not give a flying gently caress about world ending or nation level threats.

:same:

The way they did it in these two episodes is clever enough. Strange birds are not something to bother the Hokage with. Jugo is obviously not evil, but can still be antagonistic at times due to the curse mark. And he's strong enough to knock out Konohamaru for a time, so the kids are basically on their own for now, and can have a wacky adventure. I approve.

By the way, every time the bird expert is on screen, it takes my brain a second to recognize that it's not Kakashi. I don't know why I instinctively think he's Kakashi, especially since he doesn't wear a mask.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
isn't it suspicious that the weird bird expert knows a lot about curse marks

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

There's something suspicious in general about the weird bird guy and his lick no jutsu.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Boruto should stay away from the manga as long as possible because following the manga means following a plot and plot is where this franchise historically shits the bed.

Just look at the War Arc. It's ALL plot. And it's also all trash, with the only highlight being a sweet loving moment with Gai that is immediately made irrelevant since LOL Uchiha Hax.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, speaking of the manga, there was a new chapter. Naruto gets mad and smashes his opponent. Somewhat literally this time. Whatever Kara is, it doesn't seem like they're strong enough to challenge Naruto head on, which is pretty unsurprising.

The manga usually keeps a good pace (minus some battles which feel a bit slower) which I appreciate. It also has some nice character moments like Naruto being a good dad to Kawaki. It also had that gag of Naruto having to break up a fight while on the toilet which I found hilarious because I am 5 years old.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah the Boruto anime has probably been the best Naruto related thing we've had in years, maybe even better than the first season since there's no real Sasuke equivalent (yet anyway, Kawaki showed up in the manga a little while back). I'm honestly fine if they keep putting off adapting the manga story for as long as they reasonably can (or just ditching it entirely and doing their own thing but that's probably not going to happen).

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

But at the same time, there's a lot of story that could be told regarding the intersection of technology and ninjutsu, making a fun playing field for ninja kid adventures for now before really getting into the meat of the manga.

e. Give Rock Lee a fully stocked Scientific Ninja Tool and you would get a juggernaut of a shinobi that makes Guy look soft and weak.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 26, 2019

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i love how naruto wins the latest manga fight by just making larger and larger rasengans

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, for anyone that's following the English version is there a particular reason why the Shippuden dub seems to be stalled at the moment but they went ahead and started on Boruto anyway?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, for anyone that's following the English version is there a particular reason why the Shippuden dub seems to be stalled at the moment but they went ahead and started on Boruto anyway?

The Shippuden dub is complete; they are releasing the last bunch of episodes soon.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
they just put out the last big fight of shippuden so they probs only have a couple more releases until they’re fully done

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

The Shippuden dub is complete; they are releasing the last bunch of episodes soon.

Ah ok, checking again the most recent batch came out last week (we’re currently at 486 out of 500). Why is it they went ahead and started on Boruto first then? Though then again, they’ve already gotten through the manga portion of the story already and the last chunk of the series is just a bunch of light novel adaptions so I guess it doesn’t matter too terribly much.

Speaking of which, how is the Boruto dub so far? Also, does it refer to the main characters as Boruto and Sarada or Bolt and Salad?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 27, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

My guess is to keep Naruto relevant while they reair the reruns of Shippuden

I bet when they get to the new episodes to finish shippuden off they move Bort to reruns or move another show to put Shippuden in a better timeslot to finish the show.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, checking again the most recent batch came out last week (we’re currently at 486 out of 500). Why is it they went ahead and started on Boruto first then? Though then again, they’ve already gotten through the manga portion of the story already and the last chunk of the series is just a bunch of light novel adaptions so I guess it doesn’t matter too terribly much.

Speaking of which, how is the Boruto dub so far? Also, does it refer to the main characters as Boruto and Sarada or Bolt and Salad?
The dub is okay. The older voices of characters from Shippuden are hit or miss. The main characters are named Boruto and Sarada.

Dexo posted:

My guess is to keep Naruto relevant while they reair the reruns of Shippuden

I bet when they get to the new episodes to finish shippuden off they move Bort to reruns or move another show to put Shippuden in a better timeslot to finish the show.
I highly doubt Shippuden will ever be in the spotlight on Toonami again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is it still the same voice actors playing the original Naruto characters (as is the case in the Japanese version) or did they switch some of them up?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

Is it still the same voice actors playing the original Naruto characters (as is the case in the Japanese version) or did they switch some of them up?

Same VAs as far as I can tell aside from adult Konohamaru, although Naruto's VA feels like she's lost a bit of energy.

They were just ending the Gaiden arc and are about to start the Mist arc, last I checked. Sarada's dub VA is very good imo.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pyrotoad posted:

Sarada's dub VA is very good imo.

That's Cherami Leigh. She does a lot of dubbing. She's Makoto in Persona 5, and does fantastic in that role.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

There's something rotten in the Land of Stone Denmark Rivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

rndmnmbr posted:

There's something rotten in the Land of Stone Denmark Rivers.

They could hardly be more blatantly evil.

And look, next episode we meet Karin and Suigetsu! :dance: