Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

All of the DMC5 story was amazing.
The "problem" with it it's just that it's 100% fan service, made specifically for fans to lose their loving minds about, and doesn't have much to offer for people who haven't played previous games.

Definitely a story written in the event that this is the final DMC game, hah.

Also, if there's another problem with the story, it's that a lot of "nuance" is in the prequel novel. Stuff like Nero getting extremely loving salty about being called deadweight (and a whole bunch of stuff about him), who Nico's dad is, why Dante starts with Balrog, etc.

Sidenote: I'm now stuck in Mission 10 DMD hell, and working out how to style against the usual suspects in that mission. Found out that Balrog's Flint Wheel is, once again, great for proccing clashes against Proto Angelos, which is actually pretty useful since you can knock them down when they get staggered from the clash and follow-up with Real Impact to speed things along.

Another thing I noticed is that spin-mode DMD Chaos are a fair bit harder to crack open. DT Stinger spam takes an additional hit that often leads me to eating a hit or two that knocks me down or lets them slip away. Flint Wheel, for once, doesn't work, and Ice Age won't last long enough while Revolver staight up gets stuffed.

The most reliable method I've found is Royal Release, though I've had it occasionally fail to crack them in one go, and on one occasion fail to crack and instead landed me right in the attack hitbox. Still, even holding block and letting it bounce off you once, then jump -> Royal Release as it moves forward again has been fairly safer and less DT-reliant than DT Stinger spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Whoever made the decision to put the first fight of mission 5 in a dark as poo poo tiny, TINY tunnel with V plus summons against 4 armour having lizard bastards sucks.

99% of the time you can’t see anything except lightning effects and if you summon nightmare then lol.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

DMC 5 story was good, but they really hosed over Trish and Lady hard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Trish has no backstory, she's just a demon made by mundus to gently caress with Dante. She literally didn't exist before he made her to send to Mallet iland

Lady got her entire own game.

This game is about Nero,. Dante, and V.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Trish has no backstory, she's just a demon made by mundus to gently caress with Dante. She literally didn't exist before he made her to send to Mallet iland

I don't want the games to get centred around them, but having the only two woman characters, who are shown to be extremely competent in past games, get effortlessly beaten, get stripped down, stuck in some demons, then rescued by the boys is loving weak man.

Give me a couple of scenes of them being cool at least.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
what makes it worse is how they prance around and tee-hee about everything. Trish who gives a gently caress, but Lady deserves better.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

The loving shop keeper has more relevance to anything that happens in the game than they do, come on man

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Pomp posted:

The loving shop keeper has more relevance to anything that happens in the game than they do, come on man

You best put respect on Nico. :colbert:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaa Boogie posted:

You best put respect on Nico. :colbert:

Nico is great, and kills more demons on screen than either of them combined (because their number is zero)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
To be fair, they were very much like that in 4 too, in terms of seriousness. I think they figured out that Dante is so powerful that it's like "whatever, man"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t mean this to sound sexist, they obviously both can handle themselves, but yeah it seems that their toll in 4 is damage control and reducing civilian casualties because they could conceivably be in danger, whereas Dante isn’t ever really in danger so it makes sense he should go do the most da ferrous thing.

Lady could just straight up die, and the fact that she doesn’t and gets possessed instead is a testament to her will, imo.

Don’t get it twisted I’ll pay $20 to play as them day one, they are good characters, I just don’t really miss them in the cutscenes

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Imagine caring about demons in a post Dante world.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

idk pals it's easy to call dmc5 fanservicey but i just played all the games back to back for the first time within the last half year or so and even with all the games super fresh on my mind i don't think 5's story was nearly as good as 3's

which isn't to say 5's story is bad, because i'd still likely put it as second best, but for a lot of 5's story i lost track of what the goal was because a lot of the time the story is just kinda "there"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Whoever made the decision to put the first fight of mission 5 in a dark as poo poo tiny, TINY tunnel with V plus summons against 4 armour having lizard bastards sucks.

99% of the time you can’t see anything except lightning effects and if you summon nightmare then lol.

The key to winning this fight is to trigger it, retreat to the corner from where you came, turn the camera away from the enemies and mash attack buttons while you read your book. When one of the bastards gets close enough to try something, summon Nightmare, run to the other end of the arena, and repeat. Enemies will not initiate attacks unless you, the player, can see them do it, but your familiars have no such limitations. :getin:

The plot of this game serves exactly who it was meant to serve. The gameplay serves everybody else.

I don't know how they made Dante's summon swords even cooler than Vergil's, but they did. All the extra stuff they do in Swordmaster is amazing. Whoever decided they should respond to a real impact by forming a buzzsaw to hold enemies in place deserves a large raise.

Speaking of summon swords, I don't know how they would make a playable Vergil who doesn't feel a little disappointing compared to the depth and complexity of the other characters. Even V has the distinction of being able to operate up to three movesets at the same time. I mean, I guess they could give him his weapons from 3 and the Concentration mechanic from 4SE, but that feels a little been-there-done-that at his point. The dream is them actually making an expansion of some kind where he gets new poo poo that makes him just as deep and rewarding as the others, but the downside there is it'll probably take several months of development at least.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spergatory posted:

The key to winning this fight is to trigger it, retreat to the corner from where you came, turn the camera away from the enemies and mash attack buttons while you read your book. When one of the bastards gets close enough to try something, summon Nightmare, run to the other end of the arena, and repeat. Enemies will not initiate attacks unless you, the player, can see them do it, but your familiars have no such limitations. :getin:

The plot of this game serves exactly who it was meant to serve. The gameplay serves everybody else.

I don't know how they made Dante's summon swords even cooler than Vergil's, but they did. All the extra stuff they do in Swordmaster is amazing. Whoever decided they should respond to a real impact by forming a buzzsaw to hold enemies in place deserves a large raise.

Speaking of summon swords, I don't know how they would make a playable Vergil who doesn't feel a little disappointing compared to the depth and complexity of the other characters. Even V has the distinction of being able to operate up to three movesets at the same time. I mean, I guess they could give him his weapons from 3 and the Concentration mechanic from 4SE, but that feels a little been-there-done-that at his point. The dream is them actually making an expansion of some kind where he gets new poo poo that makes him just as deep and rewarding as the others, but the downside there is it'll probably take several months of development at least.

From the leaked Vergil playable model he has Sin Devil Trigger and possibly a royal guard style block, so it seems they're trying a few different things with him

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1110575620965072896

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All of these insane DMC combo videos where people don’t have every blue orb are giving me heart palpitations

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Dante with black hair will never not look wrong to me.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i really want to see more of trish and lady kicking rear end too but this game's story just isn't about them. which is why i'd really like a dlc campaign that was.

Monaghan posted:

I don't want the games to get centred around them, but having the only two woman characters, who are shown to be extremely competent in past games, get effortlessly beaten, get stripped down, stuck in some demons, then rescued by the boys is loving weak man.

Give me a couple of scenes of them being cool at least.

to be fair the only demon that they were defeated by was the same demon that also kicked dante's rear end. i do agree that it would have been nice to have given them something to do in some cutscenes though, its weird how they decide to just hang out in the van for the rest of the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The weird thing isn't them losing. Everyone gets their rear end kicked in this game. The weird lingering nudity and butt shots was kinda unneeded.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Literally everyone other than me probably already knew that but today I discovered that with Nero if you're stuck in a Buster grab and you know you're going to get hit you can use DT explosion to "parry" the hit, you'll lose HP but you won't be knocked out of your animation and you won't even lose your style rank.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Literally everyone other than me probably already knew that but today I discovered that with Nero if you're stuck in a Buster grab and you know you're going to get hit you can use DT explosion to "parry" the hit, you'll lose HP but you won't be knocked out of your animation and you won't even lose your style rank.

My favorite post game Nero mechanic is Bringer Knuckle, which you can use during any animation including getting hit, so you can take a hit and press the Devil Bringer button to instantly punch the enemy right back with your phantom fist. You can also charge up Showdown and continually punch enemies to hold them in place while you power up. It's great for comedy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God I just had the passing thought of Nero unlocking The God Hand for clearing Heaven and Hell and I'm upset that it didn't happen.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ImpAtom posted:

The weird thing isn't them losing. Everyone gets their rear end kicked in this game. The weird lingering nudity and butt shots was kinda unneeded.

The weird censoring of those scenes on non JP PS4 versions was weird and unneeded imo. If anything it drew more attention to the scenes and made them seem more scandalous than they actually were.

Need more shirtless Dante tho to even it out

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like the cheesecake in 4 is more overt than in 5.

Gloria is meant to be sexy, if you got horny watching Trish or Lady fall out of a demon corpse covered in slime then the issues are between your ears, not on the screen.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lady's design in 4 alone makes it worse

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lady's 4 design was real bad, I thought, 3 and fortunately 5 have much better costumes for her.
I like the one from 3 most though.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

How am I supposed to fight two Furies at once, this poo poo is impossible

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Lady's design in 5 is so close to being perfect, but the shorts + thigh high boot design that makes it look like she's wearing panties weirds me out a little bit.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

How am I supposed to fight two Furies at once, this poo poo is impossible

which character?

For dante: Royal guard block a move. impact the follow up attack (their attacks almost always come in two swipes either the ground swipe to teleport double swipe or the ground swipe to the diving swipe. the dive swipe is the easiest one to get the counter with.

For Nero: Depends on if you have beaten the game or not. If not the hold Y release move has armor and will let you counter any of the above mentioned attacks if you lock on it tracks so the counter is pretty much guaranteed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like the cheesecake in 4 is more overt than in 5.

Gloria is meant to be sexy, if you got horny watching Trish or Lady fall out of a demon corpse covered in slime then the issues are between your ears, not on the screen.

You are weirdly invested in this

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Both double fury encounters can be ignored, but here's some advice. Using moves with a ton of active frames basically shuts them out. Stinger, Balrog Flicker, Kick Mode Cartwheel, Revolver, and Ice Age are all real good ways at dealing with them if you have to fight a pair. Ice age especially shots on them because that move lasts forever and provided you do it as soon as they prepare to attack (The eye flash) you will deflect or hit them more often than not.

This is if you don't wanna just RG them and be big brained.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m begging you dude please put me on ignore youre the worst poster in Games and every time you respond to one of my posts I genuinely feel dumber.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

esperterra posted:

The weird censoring of those scenes on non JP PS4 versions was weird and unneeded imo. If anything it drew more attention to the scenes and made them seem more scandalous than they actually were.

Need more shirtless Dante tho to even it out

I assumed it not being censored on other platforms was a graphics glitch of some kind. All 3 times there's nudity on screen it's played for laughs so imo the lens flare being in the way of the nudity actually makes the joke better. I really don't mind Trish and Lady being relegated to the minor character hangout van but it is kind of strange to me that they do literally nothing onscreen. Even in the one major fight they get into, Dante arrives after they've already had their asses kicked and are knocked out.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 27, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m begging you dude please put me on ignore youre the worst poster in Games and every time you respond to one of my posts I genuinely feel dumber.

I think you need to take a break or something. Everything you post comes off hysterically angry

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think you need to take a break or something. Everything you post comes off hysterically angry

You're trying too hard.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why don't you both trick this grudge out of here

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

You're trying too hard.

I just want him to calm down. He really needs it.

This isn’t even the only place he’s melted down today.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

I just want him to calm down. He really needs it.

This isn’t even the only place he’s melted down today.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

So many weird things like "discard 2nd kalina" or "shorthair Dante" being hidden behind secondary button prompts is some classic Capcom poo poo. IDK how anyone was gonna find out about the "chewing gum" thing though, that's hilarious.