Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hot Wheels Tracks posted:

I recently adopted a rescue Maltese puppy who is about 11 weeks old, and according to our vet, small for his breed. He is literally one pound. He seems normal and healthy though. The vet recommended bringing in a stool sample to be tested for parasites as a precaution. I don't think I've ever done that with other dogs I have owned. Is it a reasonable test to have performed or is it just a money-making thing for vet clinics? His stool seems normal to me.

Always get a rescue’s stool tested, giardia is super common in rescues and shelters, especially with puppies, and is communicable to humans. Fecals are a very common test. Hell, My dogs get yearly fecals done with their annual checkups since there are a lot of things that can show up in a test that you wouldn’t know just by looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah stool samples are pretty common first steps for a lot of dog and cat issues. Also the first thing a vet will want to do for any new animal.

You also usually need a clean fecal sample for lots of stuff like dog trainers, doggy daycare, etc if you plan to do any of those.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I took my 10 week old black lab to the vet for the first time today and they wanted a stool sample too so I’m guessing it’s a common thing :) he got shots and was sleepy all day. He tried snuggling up with one of the cats but the cat wasn’t a fan.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

There is too much cute in that picture, I'm going to have to cite you for it; you can pay for said citation with more cute pictures.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

One of my dogs has been lying down to eat recently. She has also been eating really slowly.

I googled around to see if it was a problem and saw mixed results. It's either "dogs are supposed to eat lying down because that's what wolves do." Or "omg your dog is dying. Make it stand up to eat, it's got a horrible joint/pain problem, it's esophagus is broken."

I think she's just being a weirdo and wants attention. She seems fine otherwise. I'll mention it at her next vet visit in a couple of months.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If my dog started doing something weird and I didn't know if it might indicate a health problem or not, I'd at least call the vet to ask.

Hot Wheels Tracks
Jul 8, 2007

Did you or did you not go to town on my body with
I went ahead and got the test done. This is Ollie by the way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If my dog started doing something weird and I didn't know if it might indicate a health problem or not, I'd at least call the vet to ask.

Well, she always seems to be doing something weird. This seemed to be on the ask at the next visit level.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On the lying down to eat: we had a dog that did this, and it can be any number of things, including "dogs are weird sometimes". After ruling out joint problems and neck pain, we eventually figured out that he did it probably because the floor by his bowl was nice and cool in the summer and it felt good on his belly. Always worth asking the vet, but unless the dog is exhibiting some other sort of discomfort while walking or standing it's probably not urgent. Apparently certain breeds of dogs (and in general, very old/young dogs) can also be prone to acid reflux and will lay down while eating in an attempt to calm those symptoms, I'm not sure what you can do about that though.

Regarding stool samples: I asked my vet mother-in-law and she said it's the first thing she asks for with any new client, and almost always asks for one on issue-specific vet visits, unless it's something really obvious going on. Well, she actually said "We love stool samples. They're like little brown info packets about your dog."

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

my pup really dislikes being showered, but when I want one she can't get enough of them :thunk:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Looke posted:

my pup really dislikes being showered, but when I want one she can't get enough of them :thunk:

My pup used to hop in the shower with me so he'd get a shower/bath then. Now, he sometimes is curious and will let me wipe his face off (he has allergies so we try to at least wipe face/paws twice daily) or just stays away.

Getting him in the tub is a different matter, he used to not mind it, would get into the tub himself and sit nicely for 10-15 minutes; now we need to trap him in the bathroom, pick him up, put him in, my wife and I have to block him from escaping and be vigilant the whole time or he'll hop out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We tried bathing our dog when he was a puppy and he was always trying to get out, would wiggle through and jump through my arms and run through the house all wet. Eventually he would start coming into the shower with me which made things 10x easier. I would just keep the dog shampoo in the shower and do it when he came in. He's a vizsla so we don't need to clean him all that often but occasionally he'll get kind of skanky and need to give him a deep clean.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’m super lucky that my dog will happily speed ahead of me and jump into the bathtub waiting for a treat.

Now cutting her nails, that is a herculean effort to get accomplished.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My dog isn't super-thrilled about baths -- like, he'll recognize me setting up for one and quietly decide to wander as far from the bathroom as possible. But he'll let himself be lured in with a treat and then once he's in the shower he puts up with it with no complaints.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If her inclination to make a mess around the fountain is any indication my pup won’t have any issues with a bath. Vet told me to play with her paws a lot to get her used to the idea when it comes to trimming nails but they’re also being super nice and will be doing it for me during her monthly checkups.

Oh yeah don’t thing I’ve posted Leeloo outside of the cat thread but I’ve been reading and following this thread for a few months as I got ready for her (picked her up a week and a half ago)

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I used to take my hound dog to one dog park with a dog lake that had wash stations outside of the gates, nearer the cars. She would get so filthy and get washed off a couple times a week, so she was always clean. Now I've two other dogs for her to play with in the yard so we don't go out as often. I actually have to bathe them now. I should bathe them more often though.

One thing I found that I love is this removable spray nozzle for the shower. It's got a valve you attached between the pipe and the shower head. Then the spray hose can be quickly attached and removed from the valve. The best part is the head of the sprayer has a switch on it so you can flip it off and on without having to turn the knobs.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Bernie loves to play with his water and such, but hates the shower. I think he's just so confused by the whole thing. We tried giving him treats and trying to take it slow, but no dice. We might try bathing him with a bucket and soap next time though because he really just hated the actual spray the most it seemed.

By the way our puppy is so much bigger now, still no idea how bigs he's gonna be. We're gonna get him weighed before his next heartworm dose so that combined with his DNA test might give us a better idea.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Puppies grow so fast!!

He was being a dickbag yesterday but this morning he’s being sweet

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
My dog wants to get in the shower with me but then immediately bails out every time and it’s adorable but it’s like sharing a bathroom with a Hungarian

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

My dog wants to get in the shower with me but then immediately bails out every time and it’s adorable but it’s like sharing a bathroom with a Hungarian

same, she usually gets her head and like one leg in and realizes ah gently caress thats way more water than I thought I'm outta here

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Actual question though: How do I correct my dog when she is possessive with toys? I socialized her good and early and she plays well at the park, but now that shes almost a year old she gets real nasty if a dog is anywhere her when she has certain toys. I just yell at her and take her out asap, but I don't think this is doing much to correct her and I don't even know how I would do that without someone elses dog as a guinea pig, which is obviously a bad idea.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

What a sleepy baby 💤

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Mr. Pool posted:

Actual question though: How do I correct my dog when she is possessive with toys? I socialized her good and early and she plays well at the park, but now that shes almost a year old she gets real nasty if a dog is anywhere her when she has certain toys. I just yell at her and take her out asap, but I don't think this is doing much to correct her and I don't even know how I would do that without someone elses dog as a guinea pig, which is obviously a bad idea.

My hound dog can kind of be a butt about toys but it hasn't been a problem unless another dog around is also a butt about toys.

She'll let me take away any toy so I haven't really considered it a huge problem.

In the past, we've been at the dog park and there are always tennis balls. She'd play fetch with other dogs around no problem. But sometimes she'd be tired and take a tennis ball to her corner and grumble at other dogs. Then I would just take the ball away and take her home. I didn't think it was a huge deal.

Now at home, sometimes she'll guard a toy from the other two dogs but they don't really seem to give a poo poo. They'll just go get other toys. They do play with toys together most of the time and the hound dog usually just ends up looking sad, alone with her prize.

The only bad-ish interaction was with a friends dog who was more toy aggressive. The hound wouldn't give up her toy and the other dog tried to fight her for it. My hound did give it up before anyone got hurt but those two weren't allowed to have toys together any more.

That's my toy story.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'm looking for some advice on a problem the vet(s) haven't been much help with.

Back in late February my dog, 8ish year old black lab mix, got diarrhea with a some blood in it. I was away on business and my sister was watching him and took him to her vet with a stool sample where he was evaluated, blood tested, had x-rays, and found nothing other than elevated cholesterol. He was switched to a bland diet (chicken and rice) and he seemed to get better. He never acted sick or lost his energy the whole time and after a few days returned to normal and I returned him to his normal food (eukanuba).

After about a week the diarrhea returned but with no blood and I returned him to the bland diet, this all began on a new bag of food so I was worried I got a bad batch or something. I bought another bag when he got better and the first morning I fed him it he was very lethargic and not his usual self, he went several times that day with blood in it and wouldn't eat anything the rest of the day which never happened before. He has been back to my vet since then and she didn't appear that concerned and told me he probably needed more fiber. Since then I have kept him on the bland diet adding carrots or sweet potato occasionally and the blood has returned.

What could it be and what would be a good next move? I am seriously considering going to a different vet with a stool sample and his records but other than that I am lost, he still has his energy and doesn't act like anything is wrong but I am very concerned. Please help.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SpeedFreek posted:

I'm looking for some advice on a problem the vet(s) haven't been much help with.

Back in late February my dog, 8ish year old black lab mix, got diarrhea with a some blood in it. I was away on business and my sister was watching him and took him to her vet with a stool sample where he was evaluated, blood tested, had x-rays, and found nothing other than elevated cholesterol. He was switched to a bland diet (chicken and rice) and he seemed to get better. He never acted sick or lost his energy the whole time and after a few days returned to normal and I returned him to his normal food (eukanuba).

After about a week the diarrhea returned but with no blood and I returned him to the bland diet, this all began on a new bag of food so I was worried I got a bad batch or something. I bought another bag when he got better and the first morning I fed him it he was very lethargic and not his usual self, he went several times that day with blood in it and wouldn't eat anything the rest of the day which never happened before. He has been back to my vet since then and she didn't appear that concerned and told me he probably needed more fiber. Since then I have kept him on the bland diet adding carrots or sweet potato occasionally and the blood has returned.

What could it be and what would be a good next move? I am seriously considering going to a different vet with a stool sample and his records but other than that I am lost, he still has his energy and doesn't act like anything is wrong but I am very concerned. Please help.

Recommend getting a second opinion from another vet. Did he chow down on a stick or some rocks? Maybe something scratched his insides on the way in/out?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Recommend getting a second opinion from another vet. Did he chow down on a stick or some rocks? Maybe something scratched his insides on the way in/out?

He has always been my little woodchipper but never seemed to ever eat the sticks or anything else without food on it but just satisfy his urge to chew, he sometimes will try to eat anything with food residue on it but I haven't seen any evidence like a chewed on napkin of him getting into anything in the last several months. My sister's vet didnt see anything in the x-ray or stool sample and my vet found nothing unusual in the stool sample either.

Does anyone have any recommendations for vets in Southeastern Wisconsin?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SpeedFreek posted:

He has always been my little woodchipper but never seemed to ever eat the sticks or anything else without food on it but just satisfy his urge to chew, he sometimes will try to eat anything with food residue on it but I haven't seen any evidence like a chewed on napkin of him getting into anything in the last several months. My sister's vet didnt see anything in the x-ray or stool sample and my vet found nothing unusual in the stool sample either.

Does anyone have any recommendations for vets in Southeastern Wisconsin?

Good luck with everything, I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Sort of related anecdote: When one of my dogs was a few months old he swallowed a small twig. That tiny twig somehow got lodged sideways in his rectum. My puppy crying and bleeding out of his rear while trying to poop was one of the most horrifying experiences I’ve had as a dog owner. He needed to be sedated while the vet removed it. I watched him like a hawk after that.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
One of my dogs developed occasional bloody poops on his food that resolved with a bland diet (but I have a dog allergic to chicken in the house so my version of a bland diet was a novel protein from the food). I transitioned him to a different novel protein LID and it hasn't been a problem since.

I just figure he developed a sensitivity to lamb. Hopefully venison stays fine for a few more years.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 5, 2019

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

When my dude dog had bloody diarrhea as a reaction to medication, my vet prescribed an antibiotic to prevent infection, an antidiarrheal and a probiotic in addition to either a bland diet or a prescription digestive food.

When it was just regular diarrhea and I called about it they told me I could do the bland diet or pick up some prescription food, make sure he's got enough water and to call back if it got worse.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

My girlfriend and her 9 year old westie will be moving in soon and I wanted to see if there were any gaps in working with the dogs separation anxiety that we need to fill to make it a good transition for her.

The dog is generally really well behaved but she does not like her mom leaving her sight. Any time she is left alone she gets a kong with some peanut butter in it and as far as I'm aware she's good throughout the day. If she does not get this, even if my girlfriend is only stepping out to take out the trash or something, she gets really upset and starts whining and barking. She also follows her around the house because she doesn't like to let her out of her sight. Waits for her outside the bathroom if she didn't sneak in with her. Stuff like that.

She used to be crate trained but my girlfriend has let her just do her thing for a while. We're going to get her back onto the crate wagon because I think it's going to be doubly hard for her to be separated and in an unfamiliar place so hopefully that will help. I'm honestly thinking even when we're working in the yard or something we're going to have to crate her because this dog will not chill if she doesn't get her kong or she can see but not access her mom.

One thing I've noticed is whenever she comes home its a big production and the dog gets super amped and my girlfriend is super lovey and happy to see her dog. I feel like I've read somewhere that this is encouraging bad behavior and she should make leaving super exciting and basically ignore the dog when coming home to make it not a big deal. Is that accurate? She calms down pretty quickly but before that she is hopping up and down with her paws on her and whatnot.

So with all of that said, is there anything we could be doing to help with the anxiety and to make moving easier? She's been to my house a bunch so it won't be completely new, but she's lived in the same place her whole life so it will probably still be a big transition for her.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

My girlfriend and her 9 year old westie will be moving in soon and I wanted to see if there were any gaps in working with the dogs separation anxiety that we need to fill to make it a good transition for her.

The dog is generally really well behaved but she does not like her mom leaving her sight. Any time she is left alone she gets a kong with some peanut butter in it and as far as I'm aware she's good throughout the day. If she does not get this, even if my girlfriend is only stepping out to take out the trash or something, she gets really upset and starts whining and barking. She also follows her around the house because she doesn't like to let her out of her sight. Waits for her outside the bathroom if she didn't sneak in with her. Stuff like that.

She used to be crate trained but my girlfriend has let her just do her thing for a while. We're going to get her back onto the crate wagon because I think it's going to be doubly hard for her to be separated and in an unfamiliar place so hopefully that will help. I'm honestly thinking even when we're working in the yard or something we're going to have to crate her because this dog will not chill if she doesn't get her kong or she can see but not access her mom.

One thing I've noticed is whenever she comes home its a big production and the dog gets super amped and my girlfriend is super lovey and happy to see her dog. I feel like I've read somewhere that this is encouraging bad behavior and she should make leaving super exciting and basically ignore the dog when coming home to make it not a big deal. Is that accurate? She calms down pretty quickly but before that she is hopping up and down with her paws on her and whatnot.

So with all of that said, is there anything we could be doing to help with the anxiety and to make moving easier? She's been to my house a bunch so it won't be completely new, but she's lived in the same place her whole life so it will probably still be a big transition for her.

Making leaving a “party” could end up just making it a trigger for her separation issues. Not only that, you’d be leaving the dog escalated rather than calm. Something that worked with my dog was learning to transition him to accept that I was leaving. Instead of just grabbing my keys and popping out the door, I’d plan ahead, and maybe 15 minutes before I’d leave I would have him go to “place” (his dog bed) where I’d give him calm pets and maybe a few treats, then slowly and calmly walk away. When he’d try to follow, right back to place, calm pets, etc. Eventually I was able to get farther and farther away before finally being able to leave a calm dog behind. Mind you, this took WEEKS before he was fully conditioned to not freak out when I would leave. Don’t just do it when you’re leaving either. Pick random times where you’re actually not going anywhere too so she doesn’t only associate it with you leaving. To be fair, I did this with my dog when he was young, you’re probably going to get more resistance from an older dog who is set in her ways. Separation anxiety is a bitch, but with a lot of effort and time it can be controlled if not entirely dismissed.

Also, my dog does the “crazy for 10 minutes” thing when I come home from work and it’s the hardest thing for me to ignore because I’m excited to see him too :3: but it’s true that it should be discouraged.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
My dog gets super excited when I get home but I think it's because he knows food is showing up in the next 30 mins.

Also how do you keep a dog from getting separation anxiety? And can it devlop when they are older or is it more of something they get when being raised as a puppy.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

How many owners of dogs with separation anxiety only have one dog? As in does having another dog buddy help? I figure that's a pretty mixed bag and it could either help, do nothing or end up with two anxious dogs. No idea though.

I just feel like my second dog would be terrible if I didn't already have my first dog and the orange cat. She's kind of a nervous mess but I can leave her to go work no problem. She did have a bit of a problem if I took the first some place and left her home alone but that was pretty soon after I moved to a new place. I've always had the orange cat but it took them both a couple of months to get settled and now they hang out together. I can even have one of a couple of people come over to feed her and let her out if I won't be home.

I don't know what I'd do if needed to have someone watch her and none of those people were available. Good thing two of those people are my retired parents who live nearby.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Hey all, what's the consensus these days on dental care? I have a 2 year old mutt and am hearing everything from 'an occasional chew on some tough bone will suffice' to 'she needs her teeth brushed daily and needs semi-annual general anesthesia for cleaning.' I'd like to start a regimen that's reasonable but not overkill...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I brush my dog's teeth once a day and he hasn't had any problems. :shrug: The vet tries to convince me to get his teeth cleaned when he's anesthetized (he hates the vet) but I haven't really seen much point.

The utility of daily brushing is going to depend strongly on how your dog feels about it. Mine basically views it as an inefficient treat delivery system, so all I have to cope with is him trying to lick the toothbrush clean of paste before I'm done brushing.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I have a feeling breed and muzzle/nose shape probably has something to do with how much dental care an individual dog is going to need.

My long term experience is with cats. One is almost 16 and has one dental cleaning ever. The other has some sort of sinus thing and constantly breathes through his mouth. He needs a full dental every year, and probably still would even if brushed his teeth.

I have a feeling my dog who's constantly hanging out with his mouth open is going to end up with more cleanings than the two that don't. I'm not sure how drooling factors in though.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Has anyone dealt or been know of anyone that's dealt with chylothroax in a dog before?

My dog is a 10lb terrier mix, and she has chylothorax. She received one round of surgery already last year, which seemed to work to a degree until this past month. We are now considering a second chylothorax surgery, but debating between getting just a second attempt, and/or just getting the surgery as well as the port (based on my limited knowledge, leaning towards getting the port put in).

If so, are there surgeons you would recommend? We don't trust the previous surgeon, due to the fact that while the surgeon probably performed the procedure well, the port was never offered to us as an option for our dog.

Does anyone have any experience or resources in this area they could suggest?

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 8, 2019

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

This weirdo dog has decided ice is a treat and now he shoves his stupid face into my freezer on the bottom whenever I want some ice in my drink.

I know it's bad for teeth so I don't give him a piece too often. I just think he's a weirdo since the other two will take a piece of ice from me and run off and let it melt somewhere. Also because I just watched him chase his tail for a good 30 seconds. He's a huge dork but such a happy dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Double post but whatever.

I'm pretty sure my little weird dog has been laying down to eat for the attention and maybe a little bit because I've been over feeding her.

I was feeding her right before I left for work because I put the dude in his kennel for the day and I wanted to let him puppy around as long as possible. Lately I've been feeding them earlier and she'll finish her food while I'm showering/getting dressed.

I took her for a weight check this weekend and she's up to 27 and some change. She's probably good around 24-25 lbs. I cut her food by a little bit and she's been eating her dinner. She's been standing up too.

She's still weird and wants attention.