Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well if you were a troll you'd do that on rotating accounts i guess

but you were supposed to wait out your time, it was a temp ban like in old MMOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I only played america's army briefly but I recall trying to unlock the medic class or something and I had to sit in a virtual classroom and watch a power point presentation. Based on what I've heard about the military that's probably the most accurate simulation possible

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

ADINSX posted:

I only played america's army briefly but I recall trying to unlock the medic class or something and I had to sit in a virtual classroom and watch a power point presentation. Based on what I've heard about the military that's probably the most accurate simulation possible

did you take the mandatory class on sexual harassment 3x because an NCO forgot to turn in the sign in sheet?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

the absolute best thing about AA was that your team on multi looked like US troops, and the other team like ‘terrorists’, but the same applied to the opposing team. Not a shred of irony detected.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Loky11 posted:

did you take the mandatory class on sexual harassment 3x because an NCO forgot to turn in the sign in sheet?

lol that would have been great if you arbitrarily had to take it again for one reason or another.

I did have to take sex trafficking training while I was a DoD contractor. I developed software and never left the office, but it was DoD wide I guess and intended for people that went overseas

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

hobbesmaster posted:

and apparently his punishment was to stand outside on guard duty?

so he got what he wanted?

lol yes

also really, training soldiers with video games? do they expect insurgents to run away at the sight of their k/d ratio?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I got immediately put in the army rangers program after they saw my bunny hopping skills

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

the absolute best thing about AA was that your team on multi looked like US troops, and the other team like terrorists, but the same applied to the opposing team. Not a shred of irony detected.

It was actually a clever mechanic imo. They wanted to use it as a recruiting and propaganda tool, so they want the player to be an US Army Mans at all times. Only US Army Mans good, OPFOR bad. I think they were pretty aware of the irony.

My Linux Rig posted:

lol yes

also really, training soldiers with video games? do they expect insurgents to run away at the sight of their k/d ratio?

This is something that's happened for at least 20 odd years at this point, I know there was a customized version of DOOM made for the US Army. If you can practice the idea behind certain tactics with a reset being as cheap as restarting the level instead of resetting a kill house and having everyone fart back and forth all day waiting around, it's a clear winner.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
america's army was amazingly jingoistic but actually a p deece game behind it

i liked that in order to use the sniper rifles, you had to first score a 36/40 on the regular marksmanship course, and then complete the sniper training school. less than 5% of the players did that so it kept the team from being all a bunch of campers

also they had the army linguistics institute make up a foreign language that had a grammar and everything so you could learn what the bad guys were saying but it wasn't just farsi or whatever.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ADINSX posted:

lol that would have been great if you arbitrarily had to take it again for one reason or another.

I did have to take sex trafficking training while I was a DoD contractor. I developed software and never left the office, but it was DoD wide I guess and intended for people that went overseas

a friend of mine over at stennis space center said that everyone there had to do that back in like 2012 after those secret service agents got caught buying prostitutes

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ADINSX posted:

I remember sitting through that loving class.

Someone thank me for my service.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
f

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sagebrush posted:

i liked that in order to use the sniper rifles, you had to first score a 36/40 on the regular marksmanship course, and then complete the sniper training school. less than 5% of the players did that so it kept the team from being all a bunch of campers

also they had the army linguistics institute make up a foreign language that had a grammar and everything so you could learn what the bad guys were saying but it wasn't just farsi or whatever.

Did AA sniper school require actual math, or was it just a lot of crawling around waiting for targets to appear?

Edit: Also that fake farsi is amazing, I kind of want to learn that.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

IIRC if you did that in America's Army they would send your character to jail and you had to make a new one and start over

yep, also originally most people didnt bother with objectives in the boot camp combat scenario and they team rushed the middle and would be tagged out shortly after

it was wild that nobody figured out how to split into groups or hold an objective. making it past that resulted in a bunch of half empty game servers at the time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Skyscraper posted:

Did AA sniper school require actual math, or was it just a lot of crawling around waiting for targets to appear?

Edit: Also that fake farsi is amazing, I kind of want to learn that.

goin on 15 years since i played it, but iirc you did have to do some basic windage calculations and stuff. the shooting test was the real deal where you have a single bullet to hit the target 800 yards away or whatever and that's it.

also you had to do escape & evade training where you crawled a mile around patrols and helicopters with a paper map. i failed that so many times.

it was a strange concept but it was surprisingly good and there's never been anything else like it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

stealth games are pretty much dead now in general, at least for major releases

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Sagebrush posted:

goin on 15 years since i played it, but iirc you did have to do some basic windage calculations and stuff. the shooting test was the real deal where you have a single bullet to hit the target 800 yards away or whatever and that's it.

also you had to do escape & evade training where you crawled a mile around patrols and helicopters with a paper map. i failed that so many times.

it was a strange concept but it was surprisingly good and there's never been anything else like it

What about that NASA game?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gonadic io posted:

What about that NASA game?

john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden
u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

hobbesmaster posted:

john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden john madden
u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u

*plays super mario 3 theme song @ u*

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Corla Plankun posted:

black mirror episode idea: ornery chav teamkills their virtual battilion only to find out that the batillion was real and he was piloting a death robot the whole time

gonadic io posted:

Offender's game

prisoner of waffles posted:

stannis voice FEWER

quality stuff these last few hours

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sagebrush posted:

That's really cool, thanks! I love the ideas of locking classes and upgrades behind edutainment, but also I don't know I'd want to ever play a game that had windage. SERE with a paper map and compass sounds cool.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/sokane1/status/1111023840778481664

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
cant wait for the experts at TSLAQ to zoom in on my cock and ball hairs and determine that, sadly, i'm a real human

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NoneMoreNegative posted:

the absolute best thing about AA was that your team on multi looked like US troops, and the other team like ‘terrorists’, but the same applied to the opposing team. Not a shred of irony detected.

I also loved how it made camouflage completely useless and anyone who tried to hide and observe was a giant dweeb who got shot for insufficient oorah.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a friend of mine over at stennis space center said that everyone there had to do that back in like 2012 after those secret service agents got caught buying prostitutes

holy shittt thats about when I did it, I never made the connection hahaha

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

I also loved how it made camouflage completely useless and anyone who tried to hide and observe was a giant dweeb who got shot for insufficient oorah.

army camo is useless unless you’re in a quarry so

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Roosevelt posted:

cant wait for the experts at TSLAQ to zoom in on my cock and ball hairs and determine that, sadly, i'm a real human

You can't really clean up a single pixel

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

My Linux Rig posted:

what led to America’s Army as well as stuff like this is that the US military noticed they didn’t have to work so hard to overcome reluctance to kill other humans in recruits who had been playing first person shooters

so they contracted for the development of a game to help with other aspects of military indoctrination

such as a willingness to sit in a classroom and absorb a PowerPoint

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

speaking of, those backcountry avalanche kits are fuckin metal as hell

they got em for bikes now too

its a rite of passage to go through at least one reload when you forget to unclip the trigger tether from your bike and blow up like a stay-puft idiot in a 7/11 parking lot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
do they not yet have an accelerometer that can tell when you're dismounting at high speed versus stepping off a parked bike?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

do they not yet have an accelerometer that can tell when you're dismounting at high speed versus stepping off a parked bike?

it's not always a violent transition from moving to crashed. when i got hit by that car, my right brake pedal got caught on their left front tire, and i did this ~1 second sideways slide until i highsided (i went farther than the bike, which had rotated 90deg at this point) and then the bike fell on top of me. this weird awkward skidfallwham

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ouch.

although that thing only works if you overextend your tether, but how long is that?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's not too much play. sample

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

subpar saiyan

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mods

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER