Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shonen Waifu posted:

That Colossus/Magick hybrid has Kitty's hair?

Aren't those the little things Dani Moonstar wears in her hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If she's supposed to be part Kitty I would think she would have more than just her hairstyle anyway. That style's not unique to her, and it's not even the same color.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If they’re already done, he’ll probably be announcing something else soon.

So loving hyped for this. Been waiting to care about the X-Men again.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
To me, my Hickmen!

What a great promo image - I have so many questions!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Adnor posted:

The most important character in the promo art.

gently caress yes Bill the Lobster

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

X-O posted:

Hickman has been back with the company for a year working on this in the background.

So, uh, how long has that Fox/Disney deal been all but done for? Because for some reason I feel like the answer is going to be "about a year".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

If she's supposed to be part Kitty I would think she would have more than just her hairstyle anyway. That style's not unique to her, and it's not even the same color.

Kitty's wielded the soul sword before.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Didn’t even think of that. Hickman would be the one to do it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Shonen Waifu posted:

That Colossus/Magick hybrid has Kitty's hair?

Honestly it looks more like Laura's to me, but I don't think either ever wore those hair ties or had it go down past their back. And Kitty's definitely isn't that dark.

X-O's guess on Moonstar seems closer, at least.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I thought it was Don...oops.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Dear Mr. Hickmannn please bring back Sammy the Fish Boy

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Maybe it's Peter and Kitty's kid from an alternate future! You never know.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Who is the lady on the bench? That's the only annoying part of the image because she's not easily identifiable but she's given a very prominent position.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Given her wardrobe, the only person that makes any sense to me is Gabrielle Haller but I'm really not convinced that's who it's supposed to be.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
In an extremely confusing move, it's Amy Haller from the Legion TV show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Blues posted:

Maybe it's Peter and Kitty's kid from an alternate future! You never know.

Kitty should end up with either Rachel Summers or Magick in any alternate futures.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Shonen Waifu posted:

I thought it was Don...oops.

It could be, to be fair it's hard to tell them apart

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Cocks Cable posted:

Who is the lady on the bench? That's the only annoying part of the image because she's not easily identifiable but she's given a very prominent position.

I’m assuming that’s Moria MacTaggert given her prominence in the image.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think Age of X-Man has a flawed and not very compelling premise but a lot of the individual books just sing in a way that few X-books have in years outside of ancillary stuff like Domino or Mr./Mrs. X or Wolverine/X-23. I think this is because, well, they're being written by fresh voices who have something to say about these characters-- surely X-Tremists starts from the most hackneyed position of anything of this books, but I'm still going to miss it when it's gone, because Leah Williams writes these characters with such a light touch. I wish this book would go on indefinitely. I care more about Moneta's true-believer zealousy than I cared about any of the last eighteen iterations of nano-sentinels or mutant-hating senators or whatever, and the weird, halting, uncomfortable scene between Betsy and Fred Dukes was the only time I've felt moved by anything either of those characters has ever done. I somehow give a poo poo about Psylocke and the Blob now, because, like, in a novel play by Marvel, they're being written by someone who gives a poo poo about them too.

I'm abstractly on board with the Hickman thing because as much as I'm skeptical of a lot of his writing, and especially wary of how his pet themes will wind up informed by the basic premises of the X-Men, because it's the first time since Gillen that I've had any confidence that someone is coming onboard with an actual idea to communicate-- that being said, I really hope Williams and Thompson and McGuire stick around in some capacity.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 27, 2019

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Echoing that sentiment, X-Tremists #2 was fantastic. This is exactly what the X-Men franchise needs - human stories about oppression and longing that use the comic book setting to allegorise their themes. I was just intrigued by the first issue, but the second is Williams knocking it out of the park.

Really liked the scene with Moneta, Nezumi and Jubilee, too. Also? Northstar and Moneta speaking pretty comprehensible French! They come off as actual bilingual people - slipping in and out of their native language depending on the context, rather than "comic book bilingual" where they just speak English but occasionally say zut alors or dios mio.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Echoing that sentiment, X-Tremists #2 was fantastic. This is exactly what the X-Men franchise needs - human stories about oppression and longing that use the comic book setting to allegorise their themes. I was just intrigued by the first issue, but the second is Williams knocking it out of the park.

Really liked the scene with Moneta, Nezumi and Jubilee, too. Also? Northstar and Moneta speaking pretty comprehensible French! They come off as actual bilingual people - slipping in and out of their native language depending on the context, rather than "comic book bilingual" where they just speak English but occasionally say zut alors or dios mio.

Yeah I agree 100%. Claremont and Morrison both got that that element of desire and longing is so crucial to what makes the mutant stuff work, otherwise the soap-opera elements are just grand guignol misery and moping.

Edit: I also want to celebrate that Northstar wasn't just speaking French, he was speaking Quebecoise French! Bibitte! I couldn't believe it!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 28, 2019

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Just following on from the above, I also want to say how touching X-Tremists #2 was? In the same issue that has Jubilee being rightly excoriated for her complicity by a captive pregnant lady? (Also, Moneta is a monster and it's amazing, while Northstar is everything in this.)

That was some feat from the creative team, and that final page was hot as hell, which is just kinda unbelievable to me because Blobsy was never something I knew I wanted to see*.

*Good thread here from Leah Williams about why she chose not to fully explore Psylocke's bisexuality in an AU:
https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1110133415926525953

Also, Mr & Mrs X #9 was fantastic. It was such a common sense explanation for Rogue that really reframes her powers and makes her have a much stronger foundation going forward, without just blitzing past her issues to allow for flexibility down the line. This issue had an excellent use of her history, and Remy doing some solo t'ievin' was also hella sexy. Big fan of Spiral just snarking at them both throughout too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I was still onboard Uncanny until this past issue. Wolverine just straight up impales Hope and Cyclops loses an eye?

Also, that weird scene where the final panel on one page has Forearm smashing Cyclops form behind screaming TRAITOR, and you turn the page to see the two teams facing off against each other in a fashion where there's no possible way the previous panel could have happened.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah, I'm really ready for this run to end. I'm not sure if I'd feel more charitable towards the writing if the art wasn't so loving bad, but since the art is just awful I'm over all of it. I mean, the whole TO virus thing reads like a writer trying to hand wave away a plot point they didn't like from a previous author, but it's the same writer what the gently caress? I'm so over all of this, bring on Hickman and/or literally anyone else.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's almost funny Rosenberg is shocked at how mean X-fans are when he saw they were so lavish with praise toward Taylor. What COULD be the difference, one asks?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I guess knowing that everyone's much more excited about the story by a bunch of other people running concurrently with your run and/or are just waiting for Hickman to come along and do another franchise-defining run after you probably isn't the best space to be in, creatively.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I guess knowing that everyone's much more excited about the story by a bunch of other people running concurrently with your run and/or are just waiting for Hickman to come along and do another franchise-defining run after you probably isn't the best space to be in, creatively.

He's coming off an incredibly uninspiring mainline X book before this too so lets not cut him too much slack

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
When the first couple pages of this issue were previewed, I joked that Dark Beast was becoming the moral center of the team since he was the first person to express concern that the New Mutants had been all Warlock-ized. It was clearly a ploy for Dark Beast to escape his captivity, I thought, but it really speaks ill of the book that he's the first person to actually care.

And then… it wasn't a ploy to escape. He actually helps the New Mutants. Sure, he gets a chance to do what was presumably mad science, but wouldn't Rosenberg's Cyclops do the same thing if he thought transferring the T-O virus to a Madrox clone would help him kill the Nasty Boys or whoever the gently caress?

Dark Beast really is the heart of this run.

And the rest of the issue sucked too.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Alaois posted:

He's coming off an incredibly uninspiring mainline X book before this too so lets not cut him too much slack

Yeah; Dissasembled was mediocre, and the series before that were even blander. People praised Tom Taylor because X-Men Red was very good, not because it wasn't mediocre like the rest.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

rantmo posted:

Yeah, I'm really ready for this run to end. I'm not sure if I'd feel more charitable towards the writing if the art wasn't so loving bad, but since the art is just awful I'm over all of it. I mean, the whole TO virus thing reads like a writer trying to hand wave away a plot point they didn't like from a previous author, but it's the same writer what the gently caress? I'm so over all of this, bring on Hickman and/or literally anyone else.

Yeah I've entirely checked out until Hickman shows up. It's pretty clear the dude is going to wipe the board clean and set up a new foundation to build on for years to come, that's what Hickman does. No point in showing up until that happens.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

You literally couldn't pay me to read Rosenberg's work. I stuck through Secret Warriors which never seemed to go anywhere and the Jean Grey resurrection mini was almost offensive in how the setup made so little sense.

Cabbit posted:

Yeah I've entirely checked out until Hickman shows up. It's pretty clear the dude is going to wipe the board clean and set up a new foundation to build on for years to come, that's what Hickman does. No point in showing up until that happens.

Ditto. All hail the Hickman..

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He's writing two separate mini-series. I don't think UXM is going to stop because of that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1115359467418398730?s=19

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Some info about the premises of Hickman's X-Books, that they'll be 40-pagers and #1 covers.
https://twitter.com/4everbuffy/status/1115345959012192256

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Hickman's books tend to have a good sense of clean visual design. I like the simple logo and the title text.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This looks extremely early 90s.

I'm in.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

X-Statix is coming back!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy poo poo

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

wow! I am legitimately hyped