Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Don't JoJo and Baki both use 3D elements the same way? Vehicles, some buildings, spinning objects, and overly intricate fight moves?

Rather than pure 3D models, my memory is that both shows used 3D models to save on time and keep perspective and foreshortening consistent. Unlike Sidonia where it's 100% 3D and some of the animators know what they're doing and others... not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

Don't JoJo and Baki both use 3D elements the same way? Vehicles, some buildings, spinning objects, and overly intricate fight moves?

Rather than pure 3D models, my memory is that both shows used 3D models to save on time and keep perspective and foreshortening consistent. Unlike Sidonia where it's 100% 3D and some of the animators know what they're doing and others... not so much.

I think they are talking about the full CG OPs

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I guess Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous would be a slightly closer comparison as a fully 3D action anime, but it's also ultra stylized and smooth in a way Berserk really isn't.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 6, 2019

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!

First pic of the deluxe edition.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Some well meaning but delusional people on YouTube decided to make a motion comic out of Berserk.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I5lLQza7Mew

Awful lot of work for something that Dark Horse will probably get taken down. I’ve never been a fan of the motion comic format but it’s worth seeing what they did. This series certainly has some devoted fans.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Wouldn't it fall under fair use though?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pleiades posted:

Wouldn't it fall under fair use though?

Probably not since this could be shown to have an effect on the work's value. It's literally telling the first section of the first volume's story, meaning people might just choose to consume it this way instead of buying the manga.

What's funny is the comments are full of people going "this is so much better than Berserk 2017!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Now that's the animation I've come to expect after 2016.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Seems like they should pay lots of money if they want it removed, then use it as advertising material. It sure seems like it would be covered as a "derivative work", though some of the single frames may be infringing. Copyright is localized though, and those chapters are splattered all over the place on manga reading sites with no copyright notices, so it seems unenforceable.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Buckley never should have stepped to Guts.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Wait. It has the lizard apostle, not the count. Where'd they get that? I was gonna start watching the anime but had some technical difficulties last weekend. Now I'll have to look just to see if they've taken the anime as the source material for that video.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Better than what we actually got

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Wait. It has the lizard apostle, not the count. Where'd they get that? I was gonna start watching the anime but had some technical difficulties last weekend. Now I'll have to look just to see if they've taken the anime as the source material for that video.

what on earth are you going on about, the whole thing was just pulled from chapter 1

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Seems like they should pay lots of money if they want it removed, then use it as advertising material.

:psyduck:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Seems like they should pay lots of money if they want it removed, then use it as advertising material. It sure seems like it would be covered as a "derivative work", though some of the single frames may be infringing. Copyright is localized though, and those chapters are splattered all over the place on manga reading sites with no copyright notices, so it seems unenforceable.

This is really incorrect lol

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

U-DO Burger posted:

what on earth are you going on about, the whole thing was just pulled from chapter 1
Did you watch the video? Did you happen to notice the vampire-looking apostle eating meat off a plate with a knife and fork? That's in the anime, episode 1. It's not in chapter 1.

vvvv Perhaps I stand corrected. Doing a bit more looking...

I've never seen this in BW form before! They claim it's in book 14...

I guess there's some serious retconning going on here.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 18, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's probably from the Berserk Prototype.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

no it's from chapter 1, panel by panel

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

it's almost like the anime was based on the manga :thunk:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Well like I said, I was getting ready to rewatch then reread it (delayed due to technical difficulties), but I didn't know it was this bad. :psypop:

The prototype I remember and indeed have here and it's not Vlad Tepes. That's the one with the eye patch and such.

Sheesh well thanks for the patience.

Edit: :eng99: I have no excuse nor explanation, and only one small speculation for what may have happened here. I sincerely apologise for the difficultly I've caused, especially since Black Swordsman is one of the two best arcs.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 18, 2019

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think part of the reason for the confusion is the fact that the numbering doesn't start until after 16 chapters, so that means chapter "1" is actually chapter 17.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Come back, Berserk.

https://twitter.com/dance_w_skelton/status/1089187888539918336?s=19

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The director of Berserk 2016/17 wrote a thing complaining about how the industry doesn't have enough animation directors and so more projects are in danger of falling apart.

Though I dunno how that carries over to CG series. In 2D apparently the animation directors are fixing or drawing over 90% of the keyframes they get from their staff, to bring them up to industry standard and on model. Is there also a CG guy going into those shots and trying to fix stuff? If so they didn't manage it on Berserk 3d.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGTp_PPBoDA

Hands on with the deluxe hardcover.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gently caress that looks amazing

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Holyyyyyy gently caress they are not kidding with how incredible this is, just got mine from Amazon today

Look at this poo poo omfg

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
drat, might have to buy that poo poo

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ya i got mine today as well, it's so freaking beautiful

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even though they're £30+ a pop, I'm going to get it when I get paid.

e: £36.95

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Good soup! posted:

Holyyyyyy gently caress they are not kidding with how incredible this is, just got mine from Amazon today

Look at this poo poo omfg

This is so tempting but I don't have the shelfspace anymore. :smith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Can't wait for the later volumes where the art gets truly insane, I think I'm going to sell my old volumes as I slowly replace them with these

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Can't wait for the later volumes where the art gets truly insane, I think I'm going to sell my old volumes as I slowly replace them with these

That’s exactly my plan.

Echoing the love for the hardback. It’s so nice!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s been like 7 months since the last chapter, is that normal?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ccs posted:

Yeah. Miura has defeated the deadline so he only makes this when he is really feeling it. So while this leads to hiatuses which suck, he is never just making GBS threads out a chapter to meet a deadline so the quality is always great

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Ccs posted:

He pretty much does the entire thing on his own. He draws huge sweeping landscapes featuring Griffith, and every soldier has their own individual armor. That being said, we all wish he'd hurry the gently caress up. I've followed this since 1998 and they just got off the drat boat.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Diabetic posted:

He pretty much does the entire thing on his own. He draws huge sweeping landscapes featuring Griffith, and every soldier has their own individual armor. That being said, we all wish he'd hurry the gently caress up. I've followed this since 1998 and they just got off the drat boat.

They got off the boat 3 and a half years ago lol

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Augus posted:

They got off the boat 3 and a half years ago lol

It REALLY bleeds together when the following chapters are sweeping landscape of Falconia, brief overview of the Elf Island, STILL waiting on Caska's brain still gonna be fully broken. So the long rear end ship years overshadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I did a search for "berserk hiatus chart" and got something more informative than I was expecting:

https://i.imgur.com/bJlyXLl.png

I guess the 24 means that Young Animal releases 24 volumes a year, but I really have no idea.