Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
its almost like the people who founded israel and who lead it today are overt and open friends of nazis and perhaps the greatest traitors and enemies of the jewish people in history but idk.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's not like the comparison between Israel and Nazi Germany is rare. Just look back at the words of Yair Golan, former IDF Deputy Chief of Staff.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/idf-general-likens-trends-in-israeli-society-to-pre-holocaust-germany-1.5379620

quote:

In an unusual speech in honor of Holocaust Remembrance Day on Wednesday evening, IDF Deputy Chief of Staff Maj. Gen.Yair Golan likened recent developments in Israeli society to processes that unfolded in Europe before the Holocaust.  

"If there's something that frightens me about Holocaust remembrance it's the recognition of the revolting processes that occurred in Europe in general, and particularly in Germany, back then – 70, 80 and 90 years ago – and finding signs of them here among us today in 2016."

Golan said that the Holocaust "must make us think deeply about the responsibility of leadership, the quality of society, and it must lead us to fundamental thinking about how we, here and now, treat the stranger, the orphan and the widow, and all who are like them."

"There is nothing easier than hating the stranger, nothing easier than to stir fears and intimidate. There is nothing easier than to behave like an animal and to act sanctimoniously," he added.

"On Holocaust Remembrance Day we ought to discuss our ability to uproot the seeds of intolerance, violence, self-destruction and moral deterioration," Golan said.

Just as Yom Kippur is a day for personal atonement, Golan said, "it ought to be and in fact it's actually essential" for Holocaust Remembrance Day to be a national day of atonement.

"National atonement ought to include unsettling issues," he said. 

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Did I post this before? Might as well repost regardless:
http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/inner-nazi-or-never-again-jew-which-are-you/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Conflating Jews with the government of Israel is dumb and bad.
Bibi: yes, but now we're an ethnostate.
Owl of Cream cheese: you heard the man!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

quote:

The father of Nazism, Adolf Hitler, hunted Jews precisely because we were the embodiment of morality, the “conscience of the world” which he wanted to wipe out.

interesting if true mr. op-ed writer!

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Your Parents posted:

Avs is, literally, a fascist white supremacist.
..................you stupid man

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Genuinely curious, because I'm still not following the argument; who's the anti-semite here? Xander for sharing this blog post, the blog poster for dividing Jews into not nazis and nazis, or anyone reading it and feeling uncomfortable with the imagery of belonging to a master race that should be allowed to eradicate the savage lesser races at will?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No matter how legitimately awful an individual black person is you can not go to chicken and watermelon jokes without that speaking to your opinion of blacks people.

You are misunderstanding a lot of people if you think anyone other than few exceptions here are treating any of this, including historical comparisons, as a joke.

I would also have no compunction about making direct comparisons to the US South if people of any color start implementing a system of chattel slavery.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Some rocket hit a house in Mishmoret, some 120 kms from Gaza, 7 injured (and 4 dogs killed, apparently).

The crossings from Gaza to Israel have been closed, Israel is blaming hamas for the firing claiming the rockets came from a hamas outpost.

Everyone to the right of Meretz (so everyone) is taking potshots and Netanyahu for being 'easy on Hamas' (and paying them off 15 million dollars a few months back), the safest bet is that the IDF will try to destroy some hamas affiliated targets without trying to cause further escalation, we'll see.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Some rocket hit a house in Mishmoret, some 120 kms from Gaza, 7 injured (and 4 dogs killed, apparently).

The crossings from Gaza to Israel have been closed, Israel is blaming hamas for the firing claiming the rockets came from a hamas outpost.

Everyone to the right of Meretz (so everyone) is taking potshots and Netanyahu for being 'easy on Hamas' (and paying them off 15 million dollars a few months back), the safest bet is that the IDF will try to destroy some hamas affiliated targets without trying to cause further escalation, we'll see.

Hamas affiliated targets such as UN funded schools (training camps for terrorists) MSF Doctors (inject people with vaccines that are actually sarin) and of course, those dastardly water and food delivery trucks (bread is hamas slang for c4)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Thank you for the hot take.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

You’re welcome, I was going to comment on gunning down unarmed protestors or shooting kids who throw rocks at armoured vehicles but I thought that might make the comedic hyperbole too real.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It depends on how Israel really feels about the rocket. If they think Hamas isn't really responsible, they're not above bombing a totally empty field and announcing that they destroyed a Hamas training site or rocket launch site.

The "bomb Hamas every time a rocket is launched" policy is mostly for domestic consumption at this point, since it's quite clear that it hasn't been remotely effective, so the IDF doesn't mind bombing nothing if they think that it'll be counterproductive to attack Hamas. As long as the war-boner morons sitting on the border hear something go boom, they're happy. Though that just goes to show how profoundly toxic the discourse is in Israel, that the IDF is essentially forced into making pointless strikes simply because the right will raise a political fuss if they dare let a single rocket go unpunished.

On the other hand, the elections are only a couple weeks away and Bibi's popularity isn't doing so hot, so we might be looking at a big escalation coming up. The IDF is already moving troops to the Gaza border.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
So now Romania is moving it's embassy to Jerusalem against the stance of the EU.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Here we go

https://twitter.com/mairavz/status/1110196800567177218?s=21

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Every loving Israeli election like clockwork.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

I really don't like that word "prolonged" in there. Does that mean the strike is going to go on for a long while (as in hours), or is this going to turn into a multi-week thing?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Saladin Rising posted:

I really don't like that word "prolonged" in there. Does that mean the strike is going to go on for a long while (as in hours), or is this going to turn into a multi-week thing?

going by the last election time war as a gauge, weeks.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Saladin Rising posted:

As long as needed to see Bibi reelected.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
IDF mobilized its reserves, which are at or moving to the Gaza Strip border. They're at full readiness for a multi-division crossing operation into Gaza, with sufficient balance of forces to both invade and hold substantial parts of Gaza City.

The entire Gaza Strip and adjacent areas have been declared "Closed Military Zones", aka warzones.

IDF airstrikes and artillery bombardment continue, while the Gazans launch large scale rocket attacks against Southern Israel. Egyptian attempts at deconfliction appear ineffective.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I'm pretty sure it's basically a national sport at this point. Like fox hunting with people.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have a hard time believing Bibi would actually stage a large-scale invasion of Gaza prior to the elections and risk suffering 2006 Lebanon-war-esque casualties.

qkkl fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 26, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grape posted:

I'm pretty sure it's basically a national sport at this point. Like fox hunting with people.

like the spartan autumnal helot massacre.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
"Respond with force so that it doesn't look like you're going easy on Hamas, but not so much that the situation escalates out of control" is a hard game to play.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

qkkl posted:

I have a hard time believing Bibi would actually stage a large-scale invasion of Gaza prior to the elections and risk suffering 2007-esque casualties.
I mean I don't know, the Gaza of 2019 is a lot different than the Gaza of 2007

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean I don't know, the Gaza of 2019 is a lot different than the Gaza of 2007

e: nvm I'm dumb the Lebanon war happened in 2006.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Time for another Flower War.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

qkkl posted:

I have a hard time believing Bibi would actually stage a large-scale invasion of Gaza prior to the elections and risk suffering 2006 Lebanon-war-esque casualties.

And yet Cast Lead. And Pillar of Defense. And Protective Edge.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Orange Devil posted:

And yet Cast Lead. And Pillar of Defense. And Protective Edge.

The elections are in two weeks, none of these 'operations' were in such close vicinity to the elections.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qkkl posted:

The war in Lebanon killed more Israeli soldiers than the entire decade-plus Gaza conflict to date. The massively superior Israeli position limits their vulnerability, so there's very little chance of significant IDF deaths.

The bigger problem is that the Israeli populace won't be happy with another inconclusive war that just blows a bunch of poo poo up and then pulls out. But that concerns the end of the war, which Bibi can easily draw out past election day, so it's not really an electoral risk unless people have completely lost trust in him.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
What a surprise that Hamas loves Likud and is trying hard to provoke them into a response and help them win an election, who possibly could have predicted this after it literally has happened multiple times before.

I don't think that it'll escalate beyond where it is at this level, but if it does, it'll be a bombing campaign, not a ground invasion. Netanyahu doesn't want dead soldiers before an election.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

What a surprise that Hamas loves Likud and is trying hard to provoke them into a response and help them win an election, who possibly could have predicted this after it literally has happened multiple times before.

I don't think that it'll escalate beyond where it is at this level, but if it does, it'll be a bombing campaign, not a ground invasion. Netanyahu doesn't want dead soldiers before an election.

This is certainly a take. "Ah the IRA love the Tories because more oppression means more uptake at the meetings and they can afford a better selection of snacks with increased membership."

You idiot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what was it that kicked this one off? As in, the specific inciting incident?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Palestinians existing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

So what was it that kicked this one off? As in, the specific inciting incident?

Talking about "specific inciting event" is a bit misguided, since Gaza and Israel are always exchanging fire in some way. A better question is "which particular event captured political and media attention?"

In this case, it's that a rocket from Gaza happened to hit a house north of Tel Aviv, causing non-serious injuries to several people. In recent years, it's become extremely rare for rockets from Gaza to actually do any damage, since they're completely unguided and Israel has missile defense systems, so it draws more outcry when one actually manages to hit something. On top of that, the area it hit is in central Israel, and rockets landing there usually get more attention than rockets landing near the Gaza border.

And most importantly, it's election time. There's tons of right-wing politicians ready to call for escalation, and Netanyahu himself has made defense a key part of his political image.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

This is certainly a take. "Ah the IRA love the Tories because more oppression means more uptake at the meetings and they can afford a better selection of snacks with increased membership."

You idiot.

Do you really think they give a poo poo about anything but maintaining power? And the same for Likud. As right wing ethnonationalist parties, it's in their best interest to demonize the other side and "prove" to civilians that only their warmongering can protect them. 1996 is the best example of this, but Hamas's tunnels came to light right around the time Olmert was on his last legs. The prospect of anyone but right wingers running the show seems to be a terrifying thought.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Kim Jong Il posted:

Do you really think they give a poo poo about anything but maintaining power?
Good point, Hamas has to excite its base in preparation for its upcoming election against ____________.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
There's many problems with that theory, but perhaps the biggest one of all is the fact that Hamas doesn't get to choose what causes a flareup. They're always launching rockets; it's up to Israel to decide when to suddenly make a big deal out of it.

Aside from that, Hamas doesn't need war to maintain their power base, because unlike Netanyahu, they have an actual economic program. They didn't build their grassroots support in Gaza by picking fights with Israel, they built it by being a major provider of social services and benefits, filling the void left by the corrupt and ineffective Fatah-led PA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Main Paineframe posted:

They didn't build their grassroots support in Gaza by picking fights with Israel, they built it by being a major provider of social services and benefits, filling the void left by the corrupt and ineffective Fatah-led PA.

I disagree, you can't talk about Hamas's rise to popularity without mentioning its militancy. Israel withdrew from Gaza after a few years of active resistance, and Hamas was in position to take credit for that. Decades of negotiation by the PLO had failed to do that. Their active role in civil society certainly also was a big part of their appeal, they leveraged both of those issues in the run-up to the 2006 elections.

But LOL at anyone who thinks Hamas is some sort of puppetmaster.