Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Farrier Theaks posted:

Why do spiral galaxies form as a disc instead of a sphere?

A mix of angular momentum and gravitational interactions, not entirely unlike the solar system. Mass of gas starts clumping together but conservation of momentum means it can’t just drop straight in to the center of gravity so it starts spinning around that point. But a big ball of stuff isn’t gravitationally stable (especially once the gas starts coalescing into stars and poo poo) (ignore elliptical galaxies) and since there’s an imbalance of mass there’s eventually a dominant a plane of rotation and everyone either jumps on the bandwagon or gets thrown off the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Earwicker posted:

clothes and produce are basic necessities one needs to live and function in society, and a lot of people don't have the financial/time privilege to shop around and source all of their clothes and food ethically.

Not the way most people buy them today. "I don't have the time to shop around for ethically sourced clothing and am therefore morally absolved," doesn't hold a lot of water in the age of the internet when you can google "ethical clothing" and find thousands of affordable results instantly. I can agree with the financial argument for those in dire straits, but again, the way huge swaths of the population buys clothing isn't for basic necessity. And for produce – I'm talking about buying fresh summer vegetables in the middle of winter, or loads of meat with every meal and stuff like that. Yeah, it's awfully nice, but it comes at a social and environmental price that most of us choose to ignore. We could all eat seasonally appropriate or preserved foods, but we don't. Some do, but not all.

Earwicker posted:

diamond engagement rings are not a necessity for anyone in any way whatsoever, it is the very definition of a luxury.

Neither are a lot of things. But hey, it's a good thing there's at least the option to buy ethical diamonds these days if you do have the money, no?

Earwicker posted:

im not claiming to be a "ethical consumer" personally (i dont believe in such a thing)

I agree with you there!

Anyhow... I don't want to continue derailing the thread with this debate forever. I'm happy to keep talking about it elsewhere, but this probably isn't the best place so I suppose I'll stop after this post.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kedo posted:

Not the way most people buy them today. "I don't have the time to shop around for ethically sourced clothing and am therefore morally absolved," doesn't hold a lot of water in the age of the internet when you can google "ethical clothing" and find thousands of affordable results instantly.

you either didn't actually look at these results or you have a very bad idea of what is actually "affordable" for most people. just because a website's marketing uses that word doesn't mean it is!

again no one is "morally absolved" of anything (and i dont see anyone making such a claim?) but the comparing a basic necessity like clothing with something like diamonds - which is something no one actually needs to own for any reason - is absurd

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 28, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Wow that's a lot. I've noticed a few of those before but most have never occurred to me. Incidentally resign isn't on the list, and that is one I have noticed before.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Wow that's a lot. I've noticed a few of those before but most have never occurred to me. Incidentally resign isn't on the list, and that is one I have noticed before.

i have never heard anyone use "resign" meaning "to sign a new contract" unless they were pronouncing it "re-sign", which is really a different word (or two words i guess)

it might be a usage somewhere but i dont think its common at all

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

socketwrencher posted:

I saw this posted a while back (not on this site) and thought it was worth saving, so I'll just pass it along FWIW:

The wisdom came from a decade of self-blame and self-destructive behavior after my dad died when I was 23. I wanted to feel better and I didn't know how, so I behaved poorly for a really long time. To myself and others.

I had a lot of defenses, and if you block off your feelings (by rationalizing them, drinking them away, making a joke of them...), you will never know what you want in life. If you don't know, you will tend to make yourself miserable or get in your brain, which will separate you from the world and make you crazy.

The answer doesn't need to be complex. "More life" is a great answer to "what do you want?" More love. A woman who I am madly in love with who accepts me exactly as I am. Work I care about. Kids. Freedom from fear. Financial abundance. A loving relationship with my birth family. Closer friends. Male friends like brothers. Female friends like sisters. Acceptance of myself as I am. Forgiveness for my past mistakes. Make me more open to people. Let me feel the love. Let me give the love.

Any of those is a good answer. All of those: good answer.

But you gotta admit it to yourself, and then you gotta commit to behaving really well when life still delivers you all of your hard feelings and all of your hard thoughts. The most annoying person in the world is still gonna annoy the crap out of you. Are you willing to behave a little better towards them? Are you willing to not yell at them tomorrow? To not roll your eyes? To not gossip about them? To not huff under your breath? And then to not carry it around like behaving well around them is some burden that you're a martyr to?

And if you fail, tomorrow, you try to do a little better. You're just doing the best you can, like everyone else.

When I look through my old posts, I involuntarily cringe and grimace. For a very long time I wanted to be a better man, and I didn't know how. I didn't even think it was possible.

About two years ago, I realized that for me to be the man I wanted to be, I had to change my life. I had to treat myself better, treat other people better, and stop doing things that hurt me. Other people don't need to quit drinking or smoking pot or gossiping or whatever. I did. Other people don't have to behave this way. I do. Otherwise, it's harder for me to act like I want to act.

That's it. I want to be the kind of man I want to be. I'm willing to put down the stuff that doesn't serve me. And then it's just day to day living.

I have all my thoughts and all my hard feelings, and while I'm having them I try to accept that they are what they are and still behave how I want to.

The thoughts and feelings sometimes hurt a lot. They're not cute little things. The easiest of them feels like biting my tongue or burning my hand on the stove. Those things really ****ing hurt. Sadness, anger and fear are truly hard feelings to have. But if I suppress them I strangle the good feelings too. If I try to control the having of them, I go crazy. So I just focus on my behavior.

And when I fail, I gotta forgive myself, and begin to behave the way I want to all over again. For the rest of my life.

In exchange, I get what I want. I get to be the way I want to be in the world. I behave so much more like the man I want to be that people notice it. And I feel it, and I often sleep well at night.

this helps a lot, i was a tremendous douchebag a few years ago, not that this excuses my behaviour but, i was going through a lot of awful things at the time, fell into hard drugs for years and still can't really forgive myself for it.

idk. i'm trying

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Earwicker posted:

i have never heard anyone use "resign" meaning "to sign a new contract"

Now that you mention it I'm not sure I have either. But it's occurred to me that it's odd for it to mean "quit." Also "accept" or "give up, " as in resigning oneself to a situation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

regulargonzalez posted:

The vast majority of consumers are influenced primarily, and at times wholly, by price. Walmart destroys all other contenders...

You probably shouldn't have hosed up this hard in the second sentence of your post. I know it's like trendy to pretend this, but most Wal-Mart stores are located in places there are also a ton of other stores, even direct-category competition like say Target or various regional chains.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Now that you mention it I'm not sure I have either. But it's occurred to me that it's odd for it to mean "quit." Also "accept" or "give up, " as in resigning oneself to a situation.

most of the meanings of resign are tied to the idea of giving up, none of them are really opposites of each other

although usually the words aren't complete opposites. like "weathered" can mean "survived" or it can mean "looking beaten and worn" but the reason something weathered looks beaten and worn is because it survived something, so the meanings aren't really opposing each other at all

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah it's a curious phenomenon. I'll bet I'm going to go all Baader-Meinhoff on it now.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Why do Easter egg wraps come in packs of seven or multiples of seven? On Amazon, they are all packs of 7, 21, or 35.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SkunkDuster posted:

Why do Easter egg wraps come in packs of seven or multiples of seven? On Amazon, they are all packs of 7, 21, or 35.

Certain Easter traditions used to involve doing things for a whole week, so multiples of 7 are handy to do that with. Could be the ones you've been seeig are based on designs from traditions that work like that?

That said the PAAS easter egg wraps I used as a kid came in dozens to match usual egg cartons.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

fishmech posted:

You probably shouldn't have hosed up this hard in the second sentence of your post. I know it's like trendy to pretend this, but most Wal-Mart stores are located in places there are also a ton of other stores, even direct-category competition like say Target or various regional chains.

Care to compare their market cap? Or to better illustrate the point, respective market caps over the last decade or two?

As someone who works for a company that is a direct competitor to Walmart, I can tell you they impact virtually every decision we make.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 28, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

regulargonzalez posted:

Care to compare their market cap? Or to better illustrate the point, respective market caps over the last decade or two?

As someone who works for a company that is a direct competitor to Walmart, I can tell you they impact virtually every decision we make.

Market cap is not a valid way to compare that stores exist. For a valid comparison Wal-Mart receives about 9% of US consumer retail spending - which while big should be easy to understand as they didn't get rid of all the other stores in places people actually live (as opposed to random dying small towns in nowhere which are a tiny fraction of the population).

That's entirely different from Wal-Mart "destroying" everyone else, as evidenced by your job existing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

fishmech posted:

Market cap is not a valid way to compare that stores exist. For a valid comparison Wal-Mart receives about 9% of US consumer retail spending - which while big should be easy to understand as they didn't get rid of all the other stores in places people actually live (as opposed to random dying small towns in nowhere which are a tiny fraction of the population).

That's entirely different from Wal-Mart "destroying" everyone else, as evidenced by your job existing.

I used destroy in a hyperbolic sense, that they were by far the dominant retailer. I'm sorry if that was confusing, I will attempt to be more literal going forward.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is there a way to buy a prepaid cell phone that only accepts incoming calls? As in you can't use it to call or text anybody or use the internet but you can receive stuff?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The etymology is from Latin “re-“, a prefix meaning “back”, and “signus”, meaning seal or signature. So when you resign, you’re metaphorically taking back the signature you put on the contract.

If, instead of resigning, you re-sign your contract, that’s from the other sense of the Latin prefix “re-“, which is “again”. Latin is fun like that.

“Re-signs” is most often used in reference to professional sports, almost always with a hyphen.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 28, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Is there a way to buy a prepaid cell phone that only accepts incoming calls? As in you can't use it to call or text anybody or use the internet but you can receive stuff?

Phone carriers won't sell you that plan, but you could modify phone software on certain devices to prevent the device from making calls or successfully doing SMS (not having data is trivial of course).

If you just want to set something up where you can't initiate communication, it would probably be best to buy a modern one way alphanumeric pager.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

fishmech posted:

Phone carriers won't sell you that plan, but you could modify phone software on certain devices to prevent the device from making calls or successfully doing SMS (not having data is trivial of course).

If you just want to set something up where you can't initiate communication, it would probably be best to buy a modern one way alphanumeric pager.

Essentially, I am having an event, and want the people who can't come to the event to be able to call a number and have a phone ring at the event that the people who are attending can pick up. But that's all I want this public phone to be able to do, answer incoming calls from random people wondering how the event is going.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm using firefox and for some reason images that I see will be haunting my screen many pages later. If I were to click drag randomly an old image will be picked up by my mouse like I was clicking and dragging an image that is currently on screen. Why does this happen and how do I make it stop?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Essentially, I am having an event, and want the people who can't come to the event to be able to call a number and have a phone ring at the event that the people who are attending can pick up. But that's all I want this public phone to be able to do, answer incoming calls from random people wondering how the event is going.

What kind of phone is it? Here is what came up when I Googled "restrict outgoing calls." (It's for an Android).

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
This is a good post. I :razz:literally:razz: just got back from a therapy appointment this afternoon where we talked about all these things, and I'm 40 -- I hope everyone reading this learns these lessons at a much younger age and doesn't take 40 years to begin living.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What kind of phone is it? Here is what came up when I Googled "restrict outgoing calls." (It's for an Android).

I was just going to get a cheap prepaid phone to use one time for this one event. Looks like it was an interesting idea but kind of hard to execute.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

I was just going to get a cheap prepaid phone to use one time for this one event. Looks like it was an interesting idea but kind of hard to execute.

Get a desk phone without a keypad like this:
https://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/k-1500p-d/

Give it dialtone with some kind of VOIP device like this:
https://www.obitalk.com/info/googlevoice

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Or set up a webcam

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the cause of the "microphone voice" that old-tyme Radio announcers and Rod Sterlings Twilight Zone intro had; and Rob Cantors Shia Lebeouf song imitates?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baron Porkface posted:

What is the cause of the "microphone voice" that old-tyme Radio announcers and Rod Sterlings Twilight Zone intro had; and Rob Cantors Shia Lebeouf song imitates?

Not quite sure what you're getting at, but there were various issues and characteristics of old microphones and especially old audio recording devices they were hooked up to, that result in things sounding weird to modern ears. Also there were simply different speaking/narration/announcement patterns/dialects/whatever that have been popular at different times, often in early days coming from speech patterns that carried well across a theater hall when microphones weren't even a thing. So you had people who had been trained in show biz to not rely on a microphone at all ever until they were late into their careers, and also people they themselves trained would be taught to mimic those sorts of things even when microphones were standard.

One key recording limitation, for instance, was to have equipment that cut off a decent amount of the low frequencies that human voices don't normally make directly, and similarly the higher frequencies voices also don't make directly. But in real life those have harmonics and resonances at the frequencies cut off in the recording which do make a noticeable difference in how people sound - this is the exact same reason traditional phone calls have a distinct difference in sound beyond just sounding crappy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Question about Git

I accidentally tracked and pushed A File that I don't want tracked. A few commits were made since then. How do I remove it completely from being tracked so that the content isn't visible in the Git history? I know I can't remove local copies from other users machines, but I want it gone from future pulls from other users.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

PRADA SLUT posted:

Question about Git

I accidentally tracked and pushed A File that I don't want tracked. A few commits were made since then. How do I remove it completely from being tracked so that the content isn't visible in the Git history? I know I can't remove local copies from other users machines, but I want it gone from future pulls from other users.

Install mercurial

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I believe git reset --hard <commit> is what you're looking for, but I've never had to use it (thankfully), so I'm not 100% positive about that.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Rabbit Hill posted:

This is a good post. I :razz:literally:razz: just got back from a therapy appointment this afternoon where we talked about all these things, and I'm 40 -- I hope everyone reading this learns these lessons at a much younger age and doesn't take 40 years to begin living.

Therapy helped me a lot. I used to be an expert at avoiding reality and lying to myself. Turned out that facing the truth made things so much easier.

Love this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbhYqV17CoQ

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The interview before this is pretty fun, he's talking to Jools Holland about how he thinks he's been writing these song that should make you consider things differently, being thoughtful, trying to reflect the zeitgeist and be cultural and significant, and then he comes to London and the BCC which is this bastion of culture and refinement and all they can say is "please do the song with the swears in it"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a hotkey for spoiler tags? I feel like it's the most used tag on here and just about the only one I haven't found a hotkey for. Feel like I type the whole thing out 5 times a day.

Edit: Actually a link to a list of all of the hot keys would be the best. I've never been able to find one on the site.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 29, 2019

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a hotkey for spoiler tags? I feel like it's the most used tag on here and just about the only one I haven't found a hotkey for. Feel like I type the whole thing out 5 times a day.

Edit: Actually a link to a list of all of the hot keys would be the best. I've never been able to find one on the site.

You mean when typing? Ctrl+B gives you bold, ctrl+U does underline, ctrl+S is strikethrough, Ctrl+I isitalics

There might be some script or plugin that otherwise would do it, but those are the ones I know. It would be kind of cool to shortcut that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I think you could end up in a better position with a text expander or replacer program. I don’t remember what they’re called exactly but windows might even have one built in!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So in Engineering degrees, you use CAD software like Solidworks and Inventor. What software is used in Computer Science degrees for programming and stuff, and how CPU + GPU intensive are they?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Qubee posted:

So in Engineering degrees, you use CAD software like Solidworks and Inventor. What software is used in Computer Science degrees for programming and stuff, and how CPU + GPU intensive are they?

You can learn most of the computer science fundamentals with only an editor and a compiler/interpreter for your language of choice. Your choices for editors run the gamut from barebones text editors that may at most help you ensure all of your brackets are closed, to development-oriented editors that offer language-specific contextual autocomplete, to full-fledged integrated development environments that will handle compilation, execution, and debugging all in one place. You can get really professional tools in any of these genres for absolutely free.

While your CPU has an effect on how quickly your program will build and execute, no modern system is going to be noticeably taxed by running any of these editors or by executing anything you'd be writing in your first few years of a degree. As you start working with more complex programs, more CPU power and especially more memory become advantageous.

GPU requirements are essentially nil until you get into either machine learning or game development.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

does Star Trek have an in-universe explanation for the fact that Klingons looked basically like humans in the original series and more alien starting with TNG and even more alien in the new series that takes place before the original series?

(I know the real reason I'm just wondering if the show ever tried to explain it within the fiction somehow)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Earwicker posted:

does Star Trek have an in-universe explanation for the fact that Klingons looked basically like humans in the original series and more alien starting with TNG and even more alien in the new series that takes place before the original series?

(I know the real reason I'm just wondering if the show ever tried to explain it within the fiction somehow)

An episode of Enterprise came up with a technobabble reason why the Klingons would look different during TOS (set about a century later than Enterprise). Fan reaction to this was mixed, at best.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Klingon_augment_virus

Discovery (the new show, set ten years before TOS) ignored all that and decided to retcon the Klingons as looking like Space Orcs with no explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Powered Descent posted:

Discovery (the new show, set ten years before TOS) ignored all that and decided to retcon the Klingons as looking like Space Orcs with no explanation.
They did an "after the war Klingons started growing out their hair and beards again" line in the second season.