Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

feelix posted:

What are the objectively best bench, ohp and squat songs? Deadlift is Twilight of the Thunder God

Pretty Young Thing for Bench
Rock with You for Squat
Can you feel it for OHP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

drat I wonder how short he's become from his peak.

But I hope I'm that healthy at that age.

lol no my mind is gonna go from all the frequent 4-6 hour nights of sleep I get :smith:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Gotta respect that pants + slippers combo. How old do you need to be if you want to rock those? 60-65?
I know theres an age bracket where you wear incredibly short running shorts that makes everyone uncomfortable around you.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
How many of you guys are going to do steroids when you're older?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Khorne posted:

Blood thinners do present increased risk of bad things happening, but that requires bleeding to begin with. I'm also fairly good at knowing where my INR is at without even getting it checked, and I've been on the same dose for 5+ years now.

I assume you're on warfarin if you need your INR checked? Have you talked with your doctor about the possibility of modern anticoagulants? They function differently (don't actually thin your blood), same dose every day, what you eat (mostly) isn't an issue and there's no need for regular check ups like INR.
Warfarin is freaky stuff, when I had to use anticoagulation for a while, I asked for an alternative (got Dabigatran). The new stuff is more expensive, but for me it was worth it for the safety and less hassle.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Symbolic is my deadlift pr song and i'm gonna go hit one tomorrow after work

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Khorne posted:

It's pretty much fine in terms of nothing catastrophically bad happening as long as you don't have other medical conditions. The prosthetic valves are stronger than human ones. Most of the risk is from other conditions alongside it, like a weak aorta or that kinda thing. I don't have that because I have a hereditary condition so my first prosthetic valve was at 15 and the second at 28. Blood thinners do present increased risk of bad things happening, but that requires bleeding to begin with. I'm also fairly good at knowing where my INR is at without even getting it checked, and I've been on the same dose for 5+ years now.

I scoured literature, consulted with a few surgeons, talked with my gp, and looked for anecdotal evidence. I've found 0 cases of bad things happening, a handful of cases of people lifting reasonable weight (nothing extreme, 3 plate range for squats), and that's about it. The guidelines post-surgery even suggest lifting but "only weight you can do for 10 reps". Which seems like a bullshit suggestion. Both because of how stress on your system works while lifting weights and because physics-wise the stress you're putting on the relevant systems is proportional to bpm * blood pressure.

With that said, I don't push for taxing-on-the-system maxes. I'll hit 1rm on OHP and bench (mostly because my bench is garbage), but I've never tried for a true 1rm on deadlift or squats. I've certainly done singles where I probably couldn't hit a double on them. It seems like I probably won't hit a wall, because the weight keeps going up but the way I feel stays the same or is even slightly better.

Also, none of this is medical advice. I am not qualified to give any. I just made a choice for myself.

If you (or anyone else) is looking for advice from MDs that actually know about lifting, Barbell Medicine has a forum dedicated to medical questions.

They also have one for pain and rehab, a Facebook group where people often ask these kinds of questions, and offer a consultation service for injuries.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Symbolic is my deadlift pr song and i'm gonna go hit one tomorrow after work

I prefer to lift with no phone music but this is a pro choice

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you're not listening to Chaz Jenkel's Number One while pretending you're in a montage every workout

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CheesyDog posted:

lol if you're not listening to Chaz Jenkel's Number One while pretending you're in a montage every workout

:hmmyes:

Real Genius has had perhaps too much effect on my life

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
dry needling, yay or nay?

i got it done yesterday for the first time. wondering if the pros outweigh the horrible sensation of it.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Probably more of a placebo than anything else. I did it once when I had back pain and it really was more a short term relieve thing.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i was getting regular massage and that seemed to keep my hip/low back pain at bay, hearing mixed reviews on dry needling. might just stick to massage and mob work then.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

most pain ive ever felt.

0/10 would not recommend

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Actually working on what gave me backpain (sitting at a desk the whole day, low mobility and muscle inbalances) eliminated any issues I ever had.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Metanaut posted:

I assume you're on warfarin if you need your INR checked? Have you talked with your doctor about the possibility of modern anticoagulants? They function differently (don't actually thin your blood), same dose every day, what you eat (mostly) isn't an issue and there's no need for regular check ups like INR.
Warfarin is freaky stuff, when I had to use anticoagulation for a while, I asked for an alternative (got Dabigatran). The new stuff is more expensive, but for me it was worth it for the safety and less hassle.
They don't allow the new stuff to be used with prosthetic valves. Some of the new stuff also presents risk in other ways, notably some of them can't have the effects trivially reversed like warfarin.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Helios Grime posted:

Actually working on what gave me backpain (sitting at a desk the whole day, low mobility and muscle inbalances) eliminated any issues I ever had.

How'd you work on sitting at a desk all day?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

How'd you work on sitting at a desk all day?

Having a standing desk?

And actually using.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ive never had a desk job or anything so sitting in class 8 hours a day has loving wrecked me. it feels bad man

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I used to work in front of a desk in my early 20s now im super active all day but I remember the back aches and pain I used to get from sitting so much. Youd stand up for a few min itd go away so you sit down again and 20 min later its all tight and aching again.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I love my standing desk, but its annoying how often I still finding myself with garbage posture. One hand on my mouse, the opposite elbow on the desk, while I'm leaning forward with my back rounded and hips cocked to one side. I don't even remember getting into this position!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Helios Grime posted:

Having a standing desk?

And actually using.

Is that how you did it? What's with the question?

I can't get a standing desk but I hunted for a more ergonomic chair that lets me rock back. And I take walks in the parking lot periodically.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

Is that how you did it? What's with the question?

I can't get a standing desk but I hunted for a more ergonomic chair that lets me rock back. And I take walks in the parking lot periodically.

Sorry, your question sounded snarky, and I replied the same.

Well I assume it is what helped me in parts to get a healthier not pain having back. This is really only anecdotal.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

kettlebell swings helped my low mobility/imbalance and fixed my lower back pain too

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm sure that's a game mechanic in some game maker RPG but furries don't lift

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

you forgot "MID DAY WORKOUT"

*squints through blinds at people enjoying the nice sunny day. scowls and shakes head in disapproval*

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

feelix posted:

I'm sure that's a game mechanic in some game maker RPG but furries don't lift

Furries? Sir this is about weight lifting

I'm a morning cock

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsoxdNSgXAG/
HELP ME TOM CRUISE!!!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I thought I was about to watch someone die on instagram

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
nice landmine press form there

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

itskage posted:

drat I wonder how short he's become from his peak.

But I hope I'm that healthy at that age.

Yah, consider that dude's general quality of life compared to the average for his age, where you're considered to be doing great if you can still walk unaided.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
that old man is awesome

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

in the coming week I'm going to try for 255x1, last PR was 250x2.

Well I made two reps at 255lbs, but I have to admit they were pretty shakey, especially the second one. Still going to keep at it though, I'd like to be at 260+ by the end of April

Also I hope to be as strong as that dude when I hit his age

Assuming the world still exists

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

I despise your ability to be eighteen feet tall and still good at bench >:-(

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

What’s with the shirt thing he has between his arms and over his chest. Is that to help him lift? Seems like a sling.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Chinatown posted:

you forgot "MID DAY WORKOUT"

*squints through blinds at people enjoying the nice sunny day. scowls and shakes head in disapproval*

i workout with coworkers so it counts as meeting time and we do get a lot done and i dont have to feel bad about lifting for an hour a day

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

the thumbs up at the end owns

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Piggy Smalls posted:

What’s with the shirt thing he has between his arms and over his chest. Is that to help him lift? Seems like a sling.

https://markbellslingshot.com/collections/top-sellers/products/original-sling-shot

It’s one of these. They are pretty popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

is Mark Bell a nazi?