Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is an X card what it sounds like? A thing you drop when a player is being One of Those and it cuts them off and kicks them from the table after enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

As a counterpoint, I have never seen levels actually work for that in practice.

I think there's a bit of difficult-to-extract conflation between "levels" being the cause of the bad game balance per se, and ... "bad game balance" in general being the cause of the bad game balance.

As in, the D&D 3e Challenge Rating system a load of unreliable crap, despite the fact that it's clearly intended to be the kind of shorthand where you simply throw a monster of X CR versus a group of Y levels and it's supposed to Just Work with a minimum of deep investigation by the DM. In practice, it doesn't work like that, but perhaps that's more because of everything else that the game got wrong.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

Is an X card what it sounds like? A thing you drop when a player is being One of Those and it cuts them off and kicks them from the table after enough?
Nah you just hold it up when something gets too much for you and then people know to tone it down or cut it out. Could be heavy stuff like edgy torture/violence/rape descriptions or just something as comparatively harmless as detailed descriptions of spiders. It's not meant to point fingers at any single player. That being said, if the X cards only ever come out when Mike is at the table, you're gonna catch on as a group and someone needs to have a proper chat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nah you just hold it up when something gets too much for you and then people know to tone it down or cut it out. Could be heavy stuff like edgy torture/violence/rape descriptions or just something as comparatively harmless as detailed descriptions of spiders. It's not meant to point fingers at any single player. That being said, if the X cards only ever come out when Mike is at the table, you're gonna catch on as a group and someone needs to have a proper chat.

That's not a bad idea though. I've played in some pretty poo poo rear end convention games. I have an Atomic Robo game at Gencon turn into near rape when my character "succeeded at cost" when trying to get information from a Nazi

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Len posted:

That's not a bad idea though. I've played in some pretty poo poo rear end convention games. I have an Atomic Robo game at Gencon turn into near rape when my character "succeeded at cost" when trying to get information from a Nazi

Open games at Cons where no one knows each others backgrounds/history/general comfort levels are like the number one place to use X cards. Along with the emphasis that its not meant as a rebuke, just a way of signaling discomfort and to move on to the next scene so there's no stigma in using them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A while back someone asked for D&D 4e-inspired games that are simpler, but still use a grid, and I recommended Let Thrones Beware and Empire of Dust. But what about the tactical games that use abstract ranges instead of a battlemap? I know 13th Age does this, as does 3:16, and I know there are a few others but I can't remember them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Halloween Jack posted:

A while back someone asked for D&D 4e-inspired games that are simpler, but still use a grid, and I recommended Let Thrones Beware and Empire of Dust. But what about the tactical games that use abstract ranges instead of a battlemap? I know 13th Age does this, as does 3:16, and I know there are a few others but I can't remember them.

Wait, isn't Empire of Dust more of a Warhammer-style battle game? Maybe it's just a hard-to-Google name though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm referring to a different game that's sadly out of print.

It is very wargamey, with a map and tokens, but it's a RPG that appears very JRPG inspired. It has a Merits/Flaws system that encourages you to take unique traits like "You are the true heir to the throne" and "You're in a femdom relationship with the Final Boss' lieutenant." It even has an optional secret Real Final Boss.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 26, 2019

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Halloween Jack posted:

Unity.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Spellbound Kingdoms does zone based ranges.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

How is this? I remembering asking around a while ago and no one seemed to have any impressions of it quite yet.

Serf
May 5, 2011

S.J. posted:

How is this? I remembering asking around a while ago and no one seemed to have any impressions of it quite yet.

they put a lot of work into it, and it has some promise, but the frontloads you with a lot of very boring lore and the class powers are not written in technical language like 4e, switching between mechanics and flavor mid-sentence

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm referring to a different game that's sadly out of print.

It is very wargamey, with a map and tokens, but it's a RPG that appears very JRPG inspired. It has a Merits/Flaws system that encourages you to take unique traits like "You are the true heir to the throne" and "You're in a femdom relationship with the Final Boss' lieutenant." It even has an optional secret Real Final Boss.

You don’t get the full Empire of Dust experience without the box and feelies, but there is still a PDF at least.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think there's a bit of difficult-to-extract conflation between "levels" being the cause of the bad game balance per se, and ... "bad game balance" in general being the cause of the bad game balance.

As in, the D&D 3e Challenge Rating system a load of unreliable crap, despite the fact that it's clearly intended to be the kind of shorthand where you simply throw a monster of X CR versus a group of Y levels and it's supposed to Just Work with a minimum of deep investigation by the DM. In practice, it doesn't work like that, but perhaps that's more because of everything else that the game got wrong.

It's not even solely the game balance either, it's that designers keep trying to make every level meaningful but not understanding the actual lengths games usually run to, so they gate a bunch of the gameplay where a fair number of players never get to touch it... or learn how to use it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man, I bet I can take this hyperbolic comic and make it more hyperbolic and it'll be funnier!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh man, I bet I can take this hyperbolic comic and make it more hyperbolic and it'll be funnier!

I think the original was funny and so was this, it's just a pee pee joke, relax dude

Warthur
May 2, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

The original comic is good because it's based on a good observation ("Pushing themes in a creative activity that your collaborators are disinterested in will get you backlash and alienate others at best, makes you a creep at worst".)

The parody is good because it's also based on a good observation ("If everyone is willing to buy into what's on offer then odds are they'll enjoy it, and knee-jerk dismissive of stuff which doesn't scratch your precise itch sometimes means you miss out on that.")

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Or, pee is funny

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see we haven't met

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

And tasty,

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

My Lovely Horse posted:

I see we haven't met

clearly, since you're not covered in cat piss

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think we need to get Zack Snyder into the thread to hear his take on the Wizzard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

clearly, since you're not covered in cat piss
you don't know that

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I picked up Troika! Numinous Edition pretty much from the cover art and it is a bizarre delight. Wacky to see an entire RPG with the Fighting Fantasy ruleset, of all things, and with excellent art.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I picked up Troika! Numinous Edition pretty much from the cover art and it is a bizarre delight. Wacky to see an entire RPG with the Fighting Fantasy ruleset, of all things, and with excellent art.

Elaborate on this? I've never heard of it before and it sounds neat.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Sure! Troika! uses the system from the classic Fighting Fantasy gamebooks and is set in a surreal, strange and vaguely defined fantasy world. Character class is chosen via a d66 roll (see ex. below) and shenanigans ensue. I haven't had a chance to play it, but it's a lot of fun to go through.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 28, 2019

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The sublime society of beef steaks sounds incredible, where can I sign up

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Pretty much all the character classes are weird and great.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
*scrolls through the Troika pdf, looks for the perfect spread to show folks what I see in this, the only self-evident answer being "all of them", e;fb by a mile*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Modiphius 2d20 uses zones, which are somewhat variable in size/shape/etc. So like you can melee someone in your zone, or adjacent within reach, throw 1-2 zones, and shoot farther, kind of thing. Indoors, zones might be rooms, or in a larger room maybe two or three zones, outdoors zones might be larger, and there can be barriers between them like doors or walls or a hedge or something, which the movement mechanics account for. You can still play on a map, but it's not necessary.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Holy poo poo that looks amazing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Troika looks incredible, like the Lone Wolf tabletop game on an acid trip.;

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Does Troika do anything to mitigate the overwhelming effect of differences in Skill on combat effectiveness in Fighting Fantasy, or is it just the kind of game where picking a fight with someone even a little bit stronger than you is a terrible idea?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
A Pay What You Want RPG inspired by Sonic the Hedgehog fanfics is up on Drive-Thru RPG.

I don't think anything more needs to be said.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This knows what it wants to be, which is exactly what it is. I might drop the buck-fifty.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Thuryl posted:

Does Troika do anything to mitigate the overwhelming effect of differences in Skill on combat effectiveness in Fighting Fantasy, or is it just the kind of game where picking a fight with someone even a little bit stronger than you is a terrible idea?

It does not, loser of a clash takes damage even if they initiated.

e: You can break a tie using luck though. Which I think is new?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I enjoy the multiple Book of the New Sun references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Halloween Jack posted:

I enjoy the multiple Book of the New Sun references.

I was so close to talking myself out of buying this PDF.
Also, has anyone else here played the Age of Fable online CYOA? Because this has the exact same vibe as that, which is a pretty unique one.