Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So belting someone in the guts and leaving them breathless on the field deserves the same equal punishment as being kneed in the head whilst you're on the ground and then retaliating with a jumper shove.

Well done AFL, your MRP is loving useless.Toby Greene is licking his lips.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Diet Crack posted:

So belting someone in the guts and leaving them breathless on the field deserves the same equal punishment as being kneed in the head whilst you're on the ground and then retaliating with a jumper shove.

Well done AFL, your MRP is loving useless.Toby Greene is licking his lips.

""He would certainly need to go off the ground (for it to be graded medium impact) … and for a considerable time," Christian told AFL.com.au's The Verdict.

"In terms of our four grades – low, medium, high and severe – medium would be off the ground for a significant amount of time, perhaps even a concussion test."

So to be suspended for a punch to the body, the victim needs to have required a concussion test.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

""He would certainly need to go off the ground (for it to be graded medium impact) … and for a considerable time," Christian told AFL.com.au's The Verdict.

"In terms of our four grades – low, medium, high and severe – medium would be off the ground for a significant amount of time, perhaps even a concussion test."

So to be suspended for a punch to the body, the victim needs to have required a concussion test.

What the hell would High and Severe be? grievous bodily harm and murder?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
As you can see there were only a few broken bones so I'm thinking we should go with medium impact. High impact would presumably require at least a dozen broken bones and severe would require the victim's skeleton to shatter into dust.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://womens.afl/markoftheyear

https://womens.afl/goaloftheyear

Voting is open

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Already voted.

Also in aflw, brisbane are hosed.

https://twitter.com/_sjblack/status/1110422609248681984?s=19

Supposidly a key recruit target for the tigers.

Speaking of the tigers...

Richmond has banned a member for two years for racist remarks online towards liam ryan.

They'll have to go through sensitivity training if they wish to be a member again in 2021.

Watch them not do that and play the victim

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Should have banned them for life.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

League Tees created a T-shirt and badge with an original Tayla Harris image, donating profits to an indigenous literacy charity

The AFL has now issued them with a cease and desist because why stop at being idiots when you can be fuckwits too

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IMO: Utri for mark, Duffy or Cramey for goal. (I voted Cramey because go Crows.)

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Periphery posted:

Should have banned them for life.

drunkill posted:

They'll have to go through sensitivity training if they wish to be a member again in 2021.

Part of me hopes that they do, in fact, opt not to do the sensitivity training and instead play the victim, and that they continue to not be allowed to be a member.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I have no idea if this would be of interest to people here or not, but since I don't already have enough to do, I decided to take on a little project this week leading up to the AFLW grand final and attempt to research the stories of all 21 players in the Crows' squad for this weekend. I'm assuming they will go in with an unchanged team.

The idea behind doing it is that, for the men's teams, the story is almost always the same. A player is either a dominant junior at all levels, or they're a cross-coder that gets lured to the game. Boring. Whereas for the women, the stories are so varied. Some of them have played footy since they were kids, often in boy's teams. Many of them gave the game away as teenagers only to pick it back up. Some of them have only been playing for a year or two. There are way more cross-coders or dual sport athletes. I figured it would be fascinating to see where they all came from and how they ended up playing in the AFLW.

I'm doing three or four profiles a day, and at the risk of wearing out my welcome, I'm contemplating crossposting them here from Bigfooty. This was my first installment. If people are interested, I can continue to crosspost them here. And if not, well, enjoy a good old-fashioned, self-indulgent cmndstab megapost. It's been too long.

#2 - Eloise Jones

Drafted in: 2017

Eloise is one of the new breed of players in our squad who are the product of a genuine female footy juniors system. She claims that she started playing football at age 3 and always dreamed of being a full-time football player. She continued to play until she turned 13, and was named in the AA squad in 2012.

However, when Eloise turned 13 she recognised that there was no elite women's football system in place, and so she gave the game away. Instead, she turned her attention to basketball, where there was a pathway for elite sportswomen. She was quite successful as a basketball junior, and was eventually offered a college scholarship in the United States in 2017.

Meanwhile, in 2016, Eloise saw that AFLW was becoming a reality, and decided to return to playing football. She didn't miss a beat, earning AA selection again in 2016, and in 2017 she captained the Allies U18 side and was named the team's MVP. Ultimately, she had a decision to make. The college scholarship was obviously a massive opportunity, the chance to travel and earn a degree while being paid to play basketball. On the other hand, returning to football in 2016 had reignited her passion for the game, which she found she loved playing more than basketball. To make the decision even more difficult, the deadline for accepting the scholarship was before the 2017 AFLW draft, so if she turned the scholarship down and then went undrafted, she would be left with neither option.

Ultimately, Eloise decided to roll the dice and turn the scholarship down, and the rest is history. She was drafted in the 2017 draft, was a rising star nominee in round 5, 2018, and is now an important member of our squad. She still lists her ideal job as a full-time elite athlete.

#3 - Angela Foley

Drafted in: 2016

Angela was originally raised in country Victoria. I can't find any record of her playing football in her juniors but presumably she played some, because in 2011, at the age of 22, she joined the Bendigo Thunder. It was their first season in the VWFL, and Angela won their inaugural best and fairest award.

From 2012, Angela began a streak of five premierships in a row. First, she played in a premiership with Bendigo Thunder in 2012. Then, she moved to Darwin
in 2013 and played in three consecutive premierships for the Waratah Football Club. First, the 2013/14 season in which she was awarded the medal for best on
ground in the grand final. Then, the 2014/15 and 2015/16 seasons, where in addition to being a premiership player she was back-to-back league MVP. And of course, premiership number five came at the start of 2017 wearing the tri-colours.

Angela was chosen to represent NT in 2015 and 2016, and her strong performances in those matches led to her being selected to play in the exhibition and all-stars matches throughout 2016. In the former, she was named in the best players, and soon afterwards, she was signed up as a priority player for the Adelaide Crows, making her one of the first players signed to the club (along with Cramey, and behind our original marquees in Randall and Gibson).

Football is not the only athletic pursuit for Angela. She also participated in soccer and athletics, and while in Darwin she played in the premier Netball league in 2014 and 2015, but gave it away in 2016 to focus on footy when it became obvious that AFLW was going to become a thing. Due to her leadership experience, she was named inaugural co-vice captain for the Crows (sharing the role with Sally Riley in 2017 and 2018), and continues to hold that role to this day.

#4 - Chloe Scheer

Drafted in: 2018

Chloe is probably one of the players whose story us fans have heard the most about, as she was famously going to be drafted in 2017 after having trained with the initial group in 2016, before unfortunately doing an ACL midway through the 2017 season.

Growing up in Gawler, Chloe played both football and cricket. At the age of 15, Chloe represented SA in cricket as a top order batswoman and part time leggy, but football was where she really excelled. From the age of 15, she won three consecutive Rell Smith medals (2015, 2016, 2017), which is the U18 best and fairest award in the SAWFL, named after Narelle Smith who played over 100 games and is currently an assistant coach at the Crows. Not only is Chloe the only multiple time winner of the award, but each season was more impressive than the last. Her 2016 season is also notable because in addition to the Rell Smith medal, she also won the Dutschke Medal, which is the SAWFL's equivalent of the Magarey. And the 2017 award is particularly impressive because she missed half the season due to the ACL injury. In fact, Chloe only played eight (out of fifteen) games, but she scored a maximum score of three votes in every single one of those eight games.

Such was her impressiveness in 2017 that she was selected in the Allies team, and despite doing her ACL and missing the tournament, she was still named in the AA squad.

Of course, us Crows fans know the rest of the story. Chloe spent a year recovering from her ACL injury, was unable to play a single match in 2018, but was nonetheless selected by the Crows in the 2018 draft, and hit the ground running in 2019. She was nominated for the rising star in round 5, 2019.

#5 - Jenna McCormick

Originally from Mount Gambier, Jenna was always a standout junior sportswoman. She first represented SA in cricket at the age of 10, and continued to do so until the age of 15 where she started to lose interest in the game. It seems the main reason for her losing interest in cricket was her focus on soccer, which she played at the state level from the age of 13. Jenna also enjoyed playing footy, and in 2011 she represented SA in footy. However, soccer was her main game, and in 2011 she moved to Adelaide to pursue her soccer career. In 2012 she debuted in the W-League for Adelaide United, and was named their player of the year in the 2013-14 season.

Soccer then took Jenna to Canberra from 2015 to 2017, as well as a stint in Iceland in 2016 (where she won a premiership) and Norway in 2017. However, in the interim, the AFLW was announced, and Jenna found her interest piqued. Incredibly, she never played a full season of footy prior to being drafted, just a few odd games here and there. However, she was obviously impressive, since she was selected to play a game for Queensland, an exhibition match for the Brisbane Lions, and of course represented her state as a junior. Somehow, in all of this, she was contacted by the Crows who were aware of her from her days with Adelaide United, and who ultimately drafted her with the understanding that she would be a dual athlete. To help facilitate this, Jenna returned to Adelaide United for the 2017-18 season, but then joined Brisbane for the 2018-19 season.

There has been some awkwardness with the overlapping seasons in the two sports she plays. In all three AFLW seasons so far, Jenna has missed round 1 so that she can play finals in the W-league, and it has also meant that she has missed two preseasons. Incredibly, she only joined her teammates for the first time four days before her AFLW debut. This also meant she only had four days of footy training before debuting, despite never having played in a footy league before. In the one preseason she did get to participate in, she was also playing W-League at the same time, so she spent three months with almost no days off, completing both weekly training and playing for soccer and a complete AFLW preseason simultaneously.

Jenna is upfront about the fact that, as demands and expectations grow for women's sports, she will eventually need to choose soccer or footy. But for now, she's planning to continue doing both for as long as she is able to.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

Already voted.

Also in aflw, brisbane are hosed.

https://twitter.com/_sjblack/status/1110422609248681984?s=19

Supposidly a key recruit target for the tigers.

Speaking of the tigers...

Richmond has banned a member for two years for racist remarks online towards liam ryan.

Imagine if they’d acted that quickly on telling the rock spider to gently caress off and not come back.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

cmndstab posted:

I have no idea if this would be of interest to people here or not, but since I don't already have enough to do, I decided to take on a little project this week leading up to the AFLW grand final and attempt to research the stories of all 21 players in the Crows' squad for this weekend. I'm assuming they will go in with an unchanged team.

The idea behind doing it is that, for the men's teams, the story is almost always the same. A player is either a dominant junior at all levels, or they're a cross-coder that gets lured to the game. Boring. Whereas for the women, the stories are so varied. Some of them have played footy since they were kids, often in boy's teams. Many of them gave the game away as teenagers only to pick it back up. Some of them have only been playing for a year or two. There are way more cross-coders or dual sport athletes. I figured it would be fascinating to see where they all came from and how they ended up playing in the AFLW.

I'm doing three or four profiles a day, and at the risk of wearing out my welcome, I'm contemplating crossposting them here from Bigfooty. This was my first installment. If people are interested, I can continue to crosspost them here. And if not, well, enjoy a good old-fashioned, self-indulgent cmndstab megapost. It's been too long.

#2 - Eloise Jones

Drafted in: 2017

Eloise is one of the new breed of players in our squad who are the product of a genuine female footy juniors system. She claims that she started playing football at age 3 and always dreamed of being a full-time football player. She continued to play until she turned 13, and was named in the AA squad in 2012.

However, when Eloise turned 13 she recognised that there was no elite women's football system in place, and so she gave the game away. Instead, she turned her attention to basketball, where there was a pathway for elite sportswomen. She was quite successful as a basketball junior, and was eventually offered a college scholarship in the United States in 2017.

Meanwhile, in 2016, Eloise saw that AFLW was becoming a reality, and decided to return to playing football. She didn't miss a beat, earning AA selection again in 2016, and in 2017 she captained the Allies U18 side and was named the team's MVP. Ultimately, she had a decision to make. The college scholarship was obviously a massive opportunity, the chance to travel and earn a degree while being paid to play basketball. On the other hand, returning to football in 2016 had reignited her passion for the game, which she found she loved playing more than basketball. To make the decision even more difficult, the deadline for accepting the scholarship was before the 2017 AFLW draft, so if she turned the scholarship down and then went undrafted, she would be left with neither option.

Ultimately, Eloise decided to roll the dice and turn the scholarship down, and the rest is history. She was drafted in the 2017 draft, was a rising star nominee in round 5, 2018, and is now an important member of our squad. She still lists her ideal job as a full-time elite athlete.

#3 - Angela Foley

Angela was originally raised in country Victoria. I can't find any record of her playing football in her juniors but presumably she played some, because in 2011, at the age of 22, she joined the Bendigo Thunder. It was their first season in the VWFL, and Angela won their inaugural best and fairest award.

From 2012, Angela began a streak of five premierships in a row. First, she played in a premiership with Bendigo Thunder in 2012. Then, she moved to Darwin
in 2013 and played in three consecutive premierships for the Waratah Football Club. First, the 2013/14 season in which she was awarded the medal for best on
ground in the grand final. Then, the 2014/15 and 2015/16 seasons, where in addition to being a premiership player she was back-to-back league MVP. And of course, premiership number five came at the start of 2017 wearing the tri-colours.

Angela was chosen to represent NT in 2015 and 2016, and her strong performances in those matches led to her being selected to play in the exhibition and all-stars matches throughout 2016. In the former, she was named in the best players, and soon afterwards, she was signed up as a priority player for the Adelaide Crows, making her one of the first players signed to the club (along with Cramey, and behind our original marquees in Randall and Gibson).

Football is not the only athletic pursuit for Angela. She also participated in soccer and athletics, and while in Darwin she played in the premier Netball league in 2014 and 2015, but gave it away in 2016 to focus on footy when it became obvious that AFLW was going to become a thing. Due to her leadership experience, she was named inaugural co-vice captain for the Crows (sharing the role with Sally Riley in 2017 and 2018), and continues to hold that role to this day.

#4 - Chloe Scheer

Chloe is probably one of the players whose story us fans have heard the most about, as she was famously going to be drafted in 2017 after having trained with the initial group in 2016, before unfortunately doing an ACL midway through the 2017 season.

Growing up in Gawler, Chloe played both football and cricket. At the age of 15, Chloe represented SA in cricket as a top order batswoman and part time leggy, but football was where she really excelled. From the age of 15, she won three consecutive Rell Smith medals (2015, 2016, 2017), which is the U18 best and fairest award in the SAWFL, named after Narelle Smith who played over 100 games and is currently an assistant coach at the Crows. Not only is Chloe the only multiple time winner of the award, but each season was more impressive than the last. Her 2016 season is also notable because in addition to the Rell Smith medal, she also won the Dutschke Medal, which is the SAWFL's equivalent of the Magarey. And the 2017 award is particularly impressive because she missed half the season due to the ACL injury. In fact, Chloe only played eight (out of fifteen) games, but she scored a maximum score of three votes in every single one of those eight games.

Such was her impressiveness in 2017 that she was selected in the Allies team, and despite doing her ACL and missing the tournament, she was still named in the AA squad.

Of course, us Crows fans know the rest of the story. Chloe spent a year recovering from her ACL injury, was unable to play a single match in 2018, but was nonetheless selected by the Crows in the 2018 draft, and hit the ground running in 2019. She was nominated for the rising star in round 5, 2019.

#5 - Jenna McCormick

Originally from Mount Gambier, Jenna was always a standout junior sportswoman. She first represented SA in cricket at the age of 10, and continued to do so until the age of 15 where she started to lose interest in the game. It seems the main reason for her losing interest in cricket was her focus on soccer, which she played at the state level from the age of 13. Jenna also enjoyed playing footy, and in 2011 she represented SA in footy. However, soccer was her main game, and in 2011 she moved to Adelaide to pursue her soccer career. In 2012 she debuted in the W-League for Adelaide United, and was named their player of the year in the 2013-14 season.

Soccer then took Jenna to Canberra from 2015 to 2017, as well as a stint in Iceland in 2016 (where she won a premiership) and Norway in 2017. However, in the interim, the AFLW was announced, and Jenna found her interest piqued. Incredibly, she never played a full season of footy prior to being drafted, just a few odd games here and there. However, she was obviously impressive, since she was selected to play a game for Queensland, an exhibition match for the Brisbane Lions, and of course represented her state as a junior. Somehow, in all of this, she was contacted by the Crows who were aware of her from her days with Adelaide United, and who ultimately drafted her with the understanding that she would be a dual athlete. To help facilitate this, Jenna returned to Adelaide United for the 2017-18 season, but then joined Brisbane for the 2018-19 season.

There has been some awkwardness with the overlapping seasons in the two sports she plays. In all three AFLW seasons so far, Jenna has missed round 1 so that she can play finals in the W-league, and it has also meant that she has missed two preseasons. Incredibly, she only joined her teammates for the first time four days before her AFLW debut. This also meant she only had four days of footy training before debuting, despite never having played in a footy league before. In the one preseason she did get to participate in, she was also playing W-League at the same time, so she spent three months with almost no days off, completing both weekly training and playing for soccer and a complete AFLW preseason simultaneously.

Jenna is upfront about the fact that, as demands and expectations grow for women's sports, she will eventually need to choose soccer or footy. But for now, she's planning to continue doing both for as long as she is able to.

This is cool and good. I hope you do more.

Are you showing/sending these to the club, or the players, or any sort of footy media? Coz it is good, and it should be read/seen by people.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is cool and good. I hope you do more.

Are you showing/sending these to the club, or the players, or any sort of footy media? Coz it is good, and it should be read/seen by people.

I haven't been, no. I'd be worried that I'm getting some of it wrong, haha.

Realistically if this was going to be done properly, I'd get in touch with the club and get the information directly, rather than trying to compile it together from old local newspaper archives and old AFL articles.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cmndstab posted:

I haven't been, no. I'd be worried that I'm getting some of it wrong, haha.

Realistically if this was going to be done properly, I'd get in touch with the club and get the information directly, rather than trying to compile it together from old local newspaper archives and old AFL articles.

Pfft, as if it isn't hard for you to get back into the Crows administration just like the old days

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

You Am I posted:

Pfft, as if it isn't hard for you to get back into the Crows administration just like the old days

Yes, assuming enough time has passed that they've all forgotten me from last time! Unfortunately, my main "loose lips" Crows source disappeared when Matt Rendell got himself fired, hahaha.

Real talk though, I wouldn't even know where else to post these things. Like I said last week, I've really struggled to find a place to actually discuss AFLW. There's this thread, a couple of very angry threads on Bigfooty, a moderate amount of discussion on Bigfooty team boards, the occasional reddit thread, a couple of Twitter accounts like Sarah Black that post regularly about AFLW, and that's about it. I don't know if there is a venue for them. I guess I could contact the AFLW Crows media team but it feels a bit self-indulgent.

I've written around ten profiles so far and I keep expecting to come across a player where there is just no real information about them beyond "player X was selected with pick Y in the draft", but so far that hasn't been the case, every single player has an interesting story to tell and it's all online if you're willing to search for it.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 27, 2019

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Scully is gonna play this weekend or next. :getin:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

cmndstab posted:

Real talk though, I wouldn't even know where else to post these things. Like I said last week, I've really struggled to find a place to actually discuss AFLW. There's this thread, a couple of very angry threads on Bigfooty, a moderate amount of discussion on Bigfooty team boards, the occasional reddit thread, a couple of Twitter accounts like Sarah Black that post regularly about AFLW, and that's about it. I don't know if there is a venue for them. I guess I could contact the AFLW Crows media team but it feels a bit self-indulgent.

I've written around ten profiles so far and I keep expecting to come across a player where there is just no real information about them beyond "player X was selected with pick Y in the draft", but so far that hasn't been the case, every single player has an interesting story to tell and it's all online if you're willing to search for it.

Twitter. 3-5 tweets to get these out and you can also tag the player and club, people will notice them. Also post these to the crows bigfooty board, get discussions started. I dunno how the crows section is setup but the carlton section has a thread for each player and news can go in there when it is relevant.

I'm actually getting on a bus Saturday morning to go to Adelaide and watch both Carlton games there, vs port sat afternoon and vs crows in the aflw grand final on Sunday. First time I'm going interstate to watch footy (without it being part of a larger trip/holiday) 5:30am departure from Princes Park on the carlton bus.

I had considered trying to get across to the grand final somehow, then dad rang me on Monday saying he's going to buy tickets if I wanted to go with him, so sure. Its great he's on board, he's been to plenty of aflw games with me and my brother, just like back in the old days when he took us to princes park the MCG or Waverly most weekends.

Just bought a kindle for the trip too, if I can't sleep the whole way.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol Gerard Whateley said the moment of the 2018 season was Collingwood beating up Richmond in the prelim, and not say sheed slotting a drop punt from deep in the pocket with a minute to play?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Which Victorian team does Sheed play for again?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

Which Victorian team does Sheed play for again?

Richmond in the 70s I think

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Fuckin lol, Sellers has already written Worsfold off

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol Gerard Whateley said the moment of the 2018 season was Collingwood beating up Richmond in the prelim, and not say sheed slotting a drop punt from deep in the pocket with a minute to play?
Tigers bias here but iirc it had been a very predictable, boring finals up til that game and it was a shellshock.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snoremac posted:

Tigers bias here but iirc it had been a very predictable, boring finals up til that game and it was a shellshock.

I mean... yeah no.
Melbourne beating Geelong was a bit surprising (even if their beating of Hawthorn was not so much) and showed signs of life from a club that hasn't really shown many for the last decade, GWS systematically dismantled Sydney and clearly demonstrated how those whispers pre-season that maybe their window was slamming shut were evidently premature (and how those Sydney are smokeys for the flag whispers were just blatantly wrong), hell Collingwood and West Coast combined for what was a great contest in week 1 - Collingwood even got the same number of frees as the Eagles in Perth (I think someone fudged the numbers, they must have) and all that gets overshadowed by a passage of play culminating in a goal that will go down in footy folklore.
Collingwood - Richmond was good. It was a grand rivalry playing out on an enormous stage delivering a dramatic result. But last year was full of them. Only one will live on beyond fans of just one or two teams.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

Twitter. 3-5 tweets to get these out and you can also tag the player and club, people will notice them. Also post these to the crows bigfooty board, get discussions started. I dunno how the crows section is setup but the carlton section has a thread for each player and news can go in there when it is relevant.

I'm actually getting on a bus Saturday morning to go to Adelaide and watch both Carlton games there, vs port sat afternoon and vs crows in the aflw grand final on Sunday. First time I'm going interstate to watch footy (without it being part of a larger trip/holiday) 5:30am departure from Princes Park on the carlton bus.

I had considered trying to get across to the grand final somehow, then dad rang me on Monday saying he's going to buy tickets if I wanted to go with him, so sure. Its great he's on board, he's been to plenty of aflw games with me and my brother, just like back in the old days when he took us to princes park the MCG or Waverly most weekends.

Just bought a kindle for the trip too, if I can't sleep the whole way.

Excellent to hear, it's a really happy coincidence that Carlton ended up being the other team in the GF with the Carlton men's team also playing in Adelaide that weekend. I'm hopeful we'll end up with an extra thousand or so people there from the Carlton crowd who are travelling anyway.

Hope you enjoy the first game more than the second, haha.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I thought Gerard Whatley was meant to be the less nutso of him and Slobbo?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

cmndstab posted:

Excellent to hear, it's a really happy coincidence that Carlton ended up being the other team in the GF with the Carlton men's team also playing in Adelaide that weekend. I'm hopeful we'll end up with an extra thousand or so people there from the Carlton crowd who are travelling anyway.

Hope you enjoy the first game more than the second, haha.

Hope so, although a few traveling people will have already made travel arrangements, probably to fly in and out for the one day and not stay until sunday. I hope people have changed their mind on that, given the AFL pushed the GF back a day from the reserved timeslot.

As for the carlton bus we'll be on they said it would have to be at least 50 people or they wouldn't charter the bus, so there might even be two buses going along depending on numbers. Sadly, with driving over we arrive 2 hours before the mens game on saturday and have to check in, then leave an hour and a half after the womens match ends on sunday, so there isn't much time for sightseeing or hanging around.

Nutsngum posted:

I thought Gerard Whatley was meant to be the less nutso of him and Slobbo?
He got worse once he got his own radio show on SEN. He used to be good now he's all hot takes and horse racing, which when he worked for the ABC was toned down when working as part of a team. But on 360 its him and brunken bozo so he has nobody to direct the conversation or call him out on dumb calls.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Guide to afl 360
Robbo - alcoholic, literally drunk off his face on air 99% of the time, lucky to get a single coherent sentence out of him in a one hour show

Gerard - way too into horses, actually has a brain which means he’ll ask some interesting questions to most of the guests when he can fit anything in over Robbo slurring “Yeah aw but yaknow THE GAME”

Buckley - was worth it to see him constantly stop millimetres short of telling Robbo to go gently caress himself

Alan Richardson - maybe the most boring man alive

Chris Scott - sometimes pretty interesting, but obviously can’t give much away

Jack - very personable, as a current player isn’t going to say much controversial

Jordan - less personable, occasional awkward moments when asked why he belted whoever he belted that week

Bob - if you want to feel the romance of footy listen to Bob, but that’s probably about it

Nick - don’t really know what he offers at all

Kingy - he sells stats and theories really well, not sure there’s actually much backing it up though. If you don’t actually think about it too much you’ll walk away feeling like you got a really good evidence base insight

Sellers - resident cranky old man, hates almost everyone and everything, makes poo poo up constantly often contradicting what he made up thirty seconds prior

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I’d fuckin love to see them get some AFLW players on 360 as regulars. Tayla seems to have her head screwed on pretty well, Darcy vescio has a ton of charisma, Daisy has a good amount of broadcast experience already.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol @ the SANFL trying to pretend they’re more than a feeder league

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...f1ce97d235e76a4

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Darcy Vescio was on 360 last night for all of 3 minutes for 'the players round'

Should have the players replace robbo during those segments so gerard can actually ask a question without interupption.

Edit: oh hey our former tenants are supporting us this weekend.
https://twitter.com/HawthornFC/status/1110738210106290179?s=19

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 27, 2019

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
At the risk of wearing out my welcome, here are three more profiles from my Crows AFLW players series.

#6 - Hannah Martin

Unlike the other players I've discussed so far, Hannah is a latecomer to footy. Originally from the Yorke Peninsula, she grew up playing as many sports as she could, including netball, basketball, soccer and tennis. However, beyond kicking a footy in the backyard, football was not one of the sports she played. It was only in 2017 when she, along with her younger sister Rachelle, moved to Adelaide to pursue University degrees (teaching for Hannah, commerce for Rachelle) that the two of them decided to take up football. Rachelle, it should be noted, won the Dustchke medal (the SAWFL equivalent of the Magarey medal) in her first season of football (2017) as an 18 year old, as well as the rising star award. She has been occasionally mentioned as potential future target for the Crows, but height may be an issue - she's more than half a foot shorter than Hannah at only 5 feet tall.

After one season in the SAWFL, both Hannah and Rachelle earned spots in the SANFL women's competition, playing for West Adelaide, with Hannah winning the best and fairest (2018) for the club and being nominated for the breakthrough player award (for the best player under 21, which was ultimately won by Nikki Gore). She was also named in the team of the year on the wing. Obviously this caught the eye of the Crows, since this was only her second season of football and she was still quite young. They invited her to train with them in the off-season and she impressed them with her work ethic, and they eventually took her with their final selection in the draft, a selection they only had because Ruth Wallace and Jess Allan took the season off and the Crows were awarded a fifth round compensation pick (they only received one compensation pick because they also secured Sophie Li from Carlton).

Other than missing round 3 due to a minor injury, Martin has played every match in her debut AFLW season.

#9 - Deni Varnhagen

An Adelaide local, Deni started playing football at the age of nine, inspired by her older brother. She excelled as a junior playing for Happy Valley and Plympton, and was initially the only girl playing in the boys U11 side, before being joined by childhood friend and eventual Crows teammate Dayna Cox. Before long, Deni was captaining the side, winning the best and fairest for her team, and finishing third in the best and fairest for the league. As coincidences would have it, her coach at the time was Phil Harper. Deni tells a story about an incident where she retaliated after a boy pulled her out of a pack by her ponytail, and she ended up having to face the tribunal. Justice prevailed as the case was thrown out and a new rule was introduced preventing anyone from pulling ponytails.

As a teenager, Deni moved away from football, and represented SA in both soccer and softball. However, at the age of 16, she returned to football and played for Morphettville Park, where she eventually won three premierships in a row (2014/15/16). She was impressive enough that she was selected to represent SA in various matches in 2016, including an exhibition match. She was one of the first players selected by the Crows in the inaugural AFLW draft, and has since gone on to play every single match for the Crows - one of only three players (along with Marinoff and SLT) to do so.

When she's not playing football, Deni is a registered nurse, having completed her study just prior to the start of AFLW.

#10 - Ebony Marinoff

Ebony is another example of an Adelaide girl who worked her way through the juniors system, standing out every step of the way. She started playing footy at the age of five for the boys team in Lockleys, and continued to play there until she turned twelve when she was in the U14s. Unlike most other girls in the juniors system, she didn't stop playing footy when she became a teenager. Instead, she moved to the Morphetville Park Football Club women's team, where she began an incredible record of winning premierships. Ebony won four premierships at Morphettville Park, including three in a row. During that time, she represented SA in the U16s, the U18s, and eventually the open team. She was also selected in the youth girls All Australian team in 2015 as a 17 year old. In 2016, she was routinely chosen to take part in exhibition matches, and performed strongly in them. She kicked the winning goal against NSW/ACT, was best on ground in a South Australia intra-club match, and then played for Melbourne in the highly publicised Whitten Oval exhibition match shortly before the AFLW draft. Melbourne were so impressed with her that they set about trying to convince her to nominate Victoria as her draft state, and then after the 2017 season they tried again to convince her to move, an approach which Marinoff ultimately turned down.

It was no surprise that Ebony was selected by the Crows in the draft. They took her with their first live selection, and she immediately impressed, being nominated for the rising star in the first round of 2017 and ultimately winning the award that year, and even earning selection in the 2017 AFLW All Australian team. And, as we all know, she added to her premiership tally by winning the first AFLW season with the Crows. She then played for the Darebin Falcons in the VFL Women's comp, a super team packed with AFLW stars the likes of Elise O'Dea, Karen Paxman, Daisy Pearce and Darcy Vescio, and won yet another premiership there. Incredibly, it was Ebony's sixth premiership, and her fifth in the space of four years. She was then selected to represent the Allies in the AFL Women's State of Origin match.

Famously, when she's not on the football field, Ebony works as a deli specialist at a Drakes supermarket, who are quite happy to offer her the flexible hours needed for her to work around her footy training schedule. In addition to football, Ebony also participated as a surf-lifesaver until 2015, when she suffered a minor shoulder injury and decided to focus solely on footy instead. Her goal is to be a full-time elite athlete, and football seems to be the vehicle for her to do exactly that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Carlton's coach won AFLW coach of the year

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Carlton's coach won AFLW coach of the year

tbf I could have coached Erin Phillips to a grand final

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He's done well, given how we ended up last season with our best player down in the second game and our senior coach in hospital for a week during the season.

Also, we'll be wearing our proper jumper this weekend:

quote:

MEMBERS of Carlton’s AFLW team will each wear the traditional dark Navy Blue guernsey into this Sunday’s 2019 Grand Final at Adelaide Oval.

In what will be the Club’s 30th League Grand Final to be contested since 1904, the Old Dark Navy Blue will be worn against Adelaide.

In previous AFLW contests with the Crows, Carlton has been required to wear its clash guernsey as the away team.

But tradition remains for the biggest game on the AFLW calendar, with the Game Changers to honour Carlton’s past and wear the famous guernsey in the biggest game of the Club's AFLW history.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Collingwood's away top is better than their home top and I'm sure was just their regular top when I was a kid. North Melbourne is the same, when they do the simple reverse. The extra white looks better.

Hawthorn's away top is now excellent but Kennett is wrong, white can be a brilliant guernsey colour when done well. I don't get Power and Carlton's grey tops, the white versions are far superior.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
That's my review of the game so far.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Geez skills have been bad over the first 10 games. Missed kicks everywhere. Seen a lot of kicks into the man on the mark too.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gabensraum posted:

Collingwood's away top is better than their home top and I'm sure was just their regular top when I was a kid. North Melbourne is the same, when they do the simple reverse. The extra white looks better.

Hawthorn's away top is now excellent but Kennett is wrong, white can be a brilliant guernsey colour when done well. I don't get Power and Carlton's grey tops, the white versions are far superior.

So what you're seeing is you'd like to see a white power guernsey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Windmill Hut posted:

Geez skills have been bad over the first 10 games. Missed kicks everywhere. Seen a lot of kicks into the man on the mark too.

Guess the runners were more important than we realised