Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I thought the Holy Nation were a bunch of assholes for the big slave camps, but then I met [insert any other faction here]

Western Hive is cool, they're just trying to make a buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I still think the Holy Nation is the worst of the big three factions because the Shek are racists, and the UC are slavers, but the HN are racist slavers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Holy Nation is racist, sexist, has institutionalized slavery and is a theocracy. The United Cities are a massively stratified aristocracy of Marie Antoinette levels, have institutionalized slavery, and are internally corrupt to the point that taxes and bribes are basically the same thing.

The Shek, on the other hand, are at least merely chauvinists, not racists. They're perfectly willing to tolerate and respect people of any race or sex... so long as you are willing to comply with their own perception of their cultural superiority, i.e. hit them harder than they can hit you.

This makes them jerks, of a sort, but still one of the factions I find the most tolerable. They set you a standard that you can meet and won't ask for anything more than that, no matter who or what you are. Of all the assholes, they're the only assholes who you can just punch and then have their respect for it forever afterwards.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 28, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
look if carrying around a 70kg fragment axe doesn't do it for you then idk what to tell you

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, anyone can get into the Sheks' good books, regardless of race or gender. You just need to give as good as you get, and let's face it, it takes quite a bit to punch as hard as a Shek usually can.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Thanks for the advice I will download those texture mods and I think disable the quick switch.

I have 16gb of Ram and a 1070x so I don't think its my system being hopelessly outdated.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 28, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I like that literally the only condition for being allowed to settle in Shek lands is a willingness to take part in their Provings. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, just that you were willing to try. They're as willing to give you a beatdown as they are to watch you slaughter the majority of their patrol of Chosen - and then walk off with a jaunty "good job, see you again next week" either way.

And as we all know, in a fight like that, there's no way for you to lose. Either you gain Attack or you gain Toughness. Or you lose a limb and gain CYBER POWER! It's all good.

quote:

I have 16gb of Ram and a 1070x so I don't think its my system being hopelessly outdated.
Yeah, I have less than that and the texture mod + no quickswitch makes my game next to 100% stable even with ludicrous amounts of mods. Taking care of those two things should solve the problem for you.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 28, 2019

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I like that literally the only condition for being allowed to settle in Shek lands is a willingness to take part in their Provings. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, just that you were willing to try. They're as willing to give you a beatdown as they are to watch you slaughter the majority of their patrol of Chosen - and then walk off with a jaunty "good job, see you again next week" either way.

I got a bounty from the Sheks to take down Flying Bull for being an extremist and traitor. So I went out and caught him, accidentally killing him the process.

When I hauled his corpse back to town for the partial reward one of the Shek gate guards said "Flying Bull... See you on the other side, brother." as I passed by.

I guess as long as a Shek fights for something, that's seen as a positive even if they are a criminal.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I got in trouble for stealing from a shop, got caught and did my time, but now the shopkeeper tells me to gently caress off and won't trade with me. This is great, but is there any way to get their forgiveness and/or get around it?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ms Adequate posted:

I got in trouble for stealing from a shop, got caught and did my time, but now the shopkeeper tells me to gently caress off and won't trade with me. This is great, but is there any way to get their forgiveness and/or get around it?

Have another party member try?

The nuclear option is to import your save and untick NPC relations.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Cardiovorax posted:

The Holy Nation is racist, sexist, has institutionalized slavery and is a theocracy. The United Cities are a massively stratified aristocracy of Marie Antoinette levels, have institutionalized slavery, and are internally corrupt to the point that taxes and bribes are basically the same thing.

The Shek, on the other hand, are at least merely chauvinists, not racists. They're perfectly willing to tolerate and respect people of any race or sex... so long as you are willing to comply with their own perception of their cultural superiority, i.e. hit them harder than they can hit you.

This makes them jerks, of a sort, but still one of the factions I find the most tolerable. They set you a standard that you can meet and won't ask for anything more than that, no matter who or what you are. Of all the assholes, they're the only assholes who you can just punch and then have their respect for it forever afterwards.

er....the shek aren't sexist (your word chauvinist). They don't give a drat about sex. And they are VERY racist, just enter a bar to figure that one out (certain recruits will say gently caress off, don't work for Xskins, others will outright insult you, and they LOVE their racial slurs)....they're just forced to accept other races due to policy changes designed to keep them alive. They are willing to accept other races that prove they are extremely badass though. But it's more of the "you are honorary Shek now" rather than "your race ain't half bad, maybe I was wrong", which is still, in a way, racist.

That being said, they are STILL the best faction out of the big 3. I find it amusing that the world's version of loving Klingons are the one group out of the main 3 I want to see flourish and not burn in a horrible fire.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

mauman posted:

er....the shek aren't sexist (your word chauvinist).
Chauvinistic means more than just that, I was using it in the extended sense.

quote:

Chauvinism is a form of extreme patriotism and nationalism and a belief in national superiority and glory. It can be also defined as "an irrational belief in the superiority or dominance of one's own group or people".
Describes the Shek as well as anything I've ever seen.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dareon posted:

Have another party member try?

The nuclear option is to import your save and untick NPC relations.

Tried the other party member, no dice, even though I was careful to leave everyone else at the bar while heist girl attempted a heist.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Chauvinistic means more than just that, I was using it in the extended sense.

Describes the Shek as well as anything I've ever seen.

Huh...I have to admit I've never seen that word used like that before...

Learn something new everyday :downs:

I'd still say they are extremely racist. They're just trying to fix this issue with new social reforms (with limiting success, as Kral's Chosen will happily let you know)

regardless, I think we agree they're the closest thing to a "good" faction among the Big 3.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the hivers are very adorable but after meeting their queen i'm a little bit worried about what their deal is.

the queen is some type of cybernetic creature, and since hivers can behave like normal human when they go renegade, i'm wondering if the queens are natural at all or if the hivers are some kooky science project by the evil skeleton empire from history times

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the hive king was loving terrifying

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the hivers are very adorable but after meeting their queen i'm a little bit worried about what their deal is.

the queen is some type of cybernetic creature, and since hivers can behave like normal human when they go renegade, i'm wondering if the queens are natural at all or if the hivers are some kooky science project by the evil skeleton empire from history times

It's highly implied that fogmen are the result of losing a queen, and that the whole "it's a parasite thing" is a cultivated lie so a hive's enemies don't go for their queens .

Also, the friendly western hivers have a dark side too. They'll purposely scam people with their lanterns, claiming that it will protect them in the fog islands, and they will massively overcharge you for it too. Theirs a recruit in Mongrel who will MORE than happily tell you about it.

That said, she still thinks they're adorable :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 28, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

mauman posted:

I'd still say they are extremely racist. They're just trying to fix this issue with new social reforms (with limiting success, as Kral's Chosen will happily let you know)
Yeah, but since it's really limited to just smack-talking, I'm willing to take it. As a society, they basically treat you the same even if you're Shek yourself, only with less cracks about softskins. Haven't had a shop refuse to sell to me yet or a guard to beat me up and enslave me for not being Shek or male enough, so as these things go, it's really as polite and egalitarian of a racism you're ever likely to see.

It's implied that Cat-Lon came up with the whole idea, to use them as a slave race.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, but since it's really limited to just smack-talking, I'm willing to take it. As a society, they basically treat you the same even if you're Shek yourself, only with less cracks about softskins. Haven't had a shop refuse to sell to me yet or a guard to beat me up and enslave me for not being Shek or male enough, so as these things go, it's really as polite and egalitarian of a racism you're ever likely to see.

That's because they're following the stone golem's orders. The ones that would ignore her orders all left for Kral's. The ones left do NOT like the fact that they have to tolerate (key word there) other races, and they would happily cave your face in if given a chance (hence why certain Shek in bars will try to goad you into a fight), but they either respect their leaders enough OR see the logic in their leaders decisions to not break the rules.

Because of those rules, yes, they have the least racist interaction out of the big 3 factions. Even the UC has those drat heroes stirring poo poo up with a semi-official backing. But it's not because they want to, that's for drat sure.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 28, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly, I've never looked that deeply into it. I'm willing to treat them as the setting's overly proud Klingon stand-ins for the convenience of it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
To be fair, the fact that the majority of the Shek Kingdom went along with Esata's reforms bodes well for them. Sure, there might be a dude or two too cowardly to stand up to her, yet brave enough to pick a fight with twenty guys in Masterwork armour and Edge 2 weapons, but on the whole they do seem rather reasonable. And like everyone's said, the Shek respect badassery, which is something the other two major factions only do when you're lost your boots in their asses that you've kicked.

Anyway, a poster on Reddit's compiled a massive lore post on the First Empire complete with citations. Spoiler alert obviously, even if you do disagree with a few of their conclusions.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Aren't the skeletons the real source of all of the world's problems? Isn't this true in just about every verifiable sense according to what lore we can discover?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

litany of gulps posted:

Aren't the skeletons the real source of all of the world's problems? Isn't this true in just about every verifiable sense according to what lore we can discover?

It's a bit more complicated than that, but yeah it's highly implied that the Orkanites fear of skellies is not unfounded.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think that's the other interesting thing about the Kenshi world, it's fantastic enough that Okran/Narko might actually have been real people, and their fight in the sky could have been a spaceship battle with Okran being the victor and the first planetary colonist or something. Their hatred of Skeletons is founded upon a level of historical accuracy, so it makes me wonder what else they do/believe is based on some sort of world history we might learn about in Kenshi 2.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

if you've ever been to Obedience with a skeleton character it seems like the skeletons weren't unjustified in rising up against the humans.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Obedience is one of the coolest zone discoveries in any open world game

Kind of makes me wish the rest of the map had that sort of feel. I was exploring the Howler Maze last night and man there's a whole lot of nothing space on eastern side of the map. I went as far out into the island chain as possible and there's just nothing out there

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I really like the Synth mod, so far I have recruited two cool NPC synths. I began the game with a modded start, as a random dude who scavenged a nodachi worth 40k cats and has a 20k bounty on his head. My first recruit ended up being a synth named Ironhide who looks like a shek but has skeleton stats. You recruit him through a battle of insults, and then by promising to give him all your best loot. He starts with 60 strength and heavy armor so of course he became the bearer of the badass nodachi.

More recently I recruited a scorchlander looking synth named Severin who has dialogue where he just straight up tells you he had been alive for several hundred years but doesn't remember absolutely everything. Sometimes when you bring him places he comments on how much things have changed, like how the Swamp used to be underwater and everyone had boats. He also starts with good martial arts and very high assassination skills.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Obedience is one of the coolest zone discoveries in any open world game

Kind of makes me wish the rest of the map had that sort of feel. I was exploring the Howler Maze last night and man there's a whole lot of nothing space on eastern side of the map. I went as far out into the island chain as possible and there's just nothing out there

isn't this a remnant of some parts of the map being developed much earlier than others?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

if you've ever been to Obedience with a skeleton character it seems like the skeletons weren't unjustified in rising up against the humans.

on the other hand, whatever they did made them realize they were as bad, if not worse, than the humans.

One of the more heartbreaking moments I've seen in this game is a random dialogue in Black Desert City, where one of the guards flat out begs for forgiveness while another guard hurriedly says his mind is broken. You just KNOW some serious poo poo went down. Not to mention there's a book that implies that a large portion of Skeletons committed suicide (probably out of guilt).

And then there's Strobe.....

Turpitude posted:

Sometimes when you bring him places he comments on how much things have changed, like how the Swamp used to be underwater and everyone had boats.

That's generic Skelly dialogue

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 28, 2019

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Ms Adequate posted:

Tried the other party member, no dice, even though I was careful to leave everyone else at the bar while heist girl attempted a heist.

Your entire faction gets blacklisted from a store if you are caught steeling. The merchant will never deal with you again.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

axelord posted:

Your entire faction gets blacklisted from a store if you are caught steeling. The merchant will never deal with you again.

There's at least one mod that allows for merchant respawns though :getin:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

There's a bookstore in Black Scratch that has a ton of lore books if people are looking to find out more about what's going on (I just found it). I actually just took a very big run around looking for some ancient books and found a fair amount of cool poo poo. Holy gently caress the bugmaster spooked the poo poo out of me, gonna have to return to that one later. There were also a couple lore books about Tengu's Vault that makes me want to break in before I retire this particular campaign. I think I'm definitely going to have to either play as skeletons next time or get a mod so I can recruit more, kinda disappointed how few there are.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There's a bookstore in Black Scratch that has a ton of lore books if people are looking to find out more about what's going on (I just found it). I actually just took a very big run around looking for some ancient books and found a fair amount of cool poo poo. Holy gently caress the bugmaster spooked the poo poo out of me, gonna have to return to that one later. There were also a couple lore books about Tengu's Vault that makes me want to break in before I retire this particular campaign. I think I'm definitely going to have to either play as skeletons next time or get a mod so I can recruit more, kinda disappointed how few there are.

You know about the big building in black desert city, right? I only ask because I sure as poo poo didn't until I was like level 5 on the tech tree. :/ Logic woulda dictated that the skeletons would obviously have tonnes of ancient and engineering tech holed up somewhere.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wit posted:

You know about the big building in black desert city, right? I only ask because I sure as poo poo didn't until I was like level 5 on the tech tree. :/ Logic woulda dictated that the skeletons would obviously have tonnes of ancient and engineering tech holed up somewhere.

Yeah, the Scrapyard shop? I'd already bought them out of Books and AI cores, I've heard people say that it's basically impossible to complete all the research without re-importing your world to respawn some of the loot but I'll be damned if I'm not close. Luckily, I was able to skip a LOT of tech just because of how quick I upgraded my bench, so there's five basic weapon qualities I haven't research yet despite access to Edgewalker. I also think you can skip a TON of the power-related tech, generators are just so unbelievably time/effort inefficient compared to how cheap it is to just make a million windmills, so that's a ton skipped as well. Really, the only things left I want are the top-tier mining upgrades so I can devote less workers to mining and more to crafting, since I've got the Samurai armor ready for mass production. I would need one last AI core to get Double Harpoons, but I'm not sure I care since no one has ever raided my base, but even then I know there's at least one more core out there. Ancient Science books are the last bottleneck, but like I said before I think there's just a few more things I wanna do with a fully geared 30-man squad before I'm essentially out of things to do

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I installed a make-your-own-books/engineering/cores mod partially to avoid reimporting, but mainly because the ancient ruins and robospiders scare me. :ohdear:

It's a catch-22, I'd really like to have metal armor to take on the ancient ruins, but the way to get metal armor is with loot from ancient ruins. The other option is to buy armor, like some sort sort of noble.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah, the Scrapyard shop? I'd already bought them out of Books and AI cores, I've heard people say that it's basically impossible to complete all the research without re-importing your world to respawn some of the loot but I'll be damned if I'm not close. Luckily, I was able to skip a LOT of tech just because of how quick I upgraded my bench, so there's five basic weapon qualities I haven't research yet despite access to Edgewalker. I also think you can skip a TON of the power-related tech, generators are just so unbelievably time/effort inefficient compared to how cheap it is to just make a million windmills, so that's a ton skipped as well. Really, the only things left I want are the top-tier mining upgrades so I can devote less workers to mining and more to crafting, since I've got the Samurai armor ready for mass production. I would need one last AI core to get Double Harpoons, but I'm not sure I care since no one has ever raided my base, but even then I know there's at least one more core out there. Ancient Science books are the last bottleneck, but like I said before I think there's just a few more things I wanna do with a fully geared 30-man squad before I'm essentially out of things to do

Whoever told you it's impossible is wrong, AI cores are a loot drop from a non-unique enemy spawn so there are unlimited amounts, technically

Though to be fair, what they drop from is, well

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
^wait, wtf drops AI cores as loot?

Ninja squad can break in and snatch all the goodies without alerting the kill spiders easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

That Guy Bob posted:

^wait, wtf drops AI cores as loot?

Ninja squad can break in and snatch all the goodies without alerting the kill spiders easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Yeah, from a creature in the Ashlands

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

mauman posted:

on the other hand, whatever they did made them realize they were as bad, if not worse, than the humans.
That, they learned as a consequence of the Second Empire. "Atrocities" doesn't come close to describing how bad the place was by the time it fell. Concentration camps and forced re-education for children is said to be just one of the horrors it inflicted on its non-skeleton citizens. There's a reason even the skeletons themselves started to rise up against the place.

They never forgot how hard they hosed up there and they haven't tried to rule anywhere in the 3000 years since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

my skeletons are producing a truly vast amount of hash:

which has led to the resident human mastering a combination of Shrieking Bandit martial art styles, including howling ronin, and hand-foot-foot-hand style: