Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

BrightWing posted:

It is a little weird considering all the other full blood garleans we've seen are white as heck. Maybe he did get a wicked tan in the sun? Maybe he's not so pure blooded after all?

He's been slumming it in the desert for who knows how long, the first few weeks had to be painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just saw Raubahn angry holy poo poo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

S.J. posted:

Just saw Raubahn angry holy poo poo

They get a lot of mileage out of that chiaroscuro effect later on.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Vermain posted:

They get a lot of mileage out of that chiaroscuro effect later on.

Good, because it was loving rad. God drat this story just got real good.

e: Alphinaud's voice actor change is loving wild

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 28, 2019

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

PneumonicBook posted:

I have no idea what's going on in this thread but I hit 15 today and did the novice quests which are honestly a really great way to introduce players to mechanics (at least based on the tanking one I did) and it's kind of hilarious how poorly blizzard failed with proving grounds when you compare the two. Also gently caress yea ring that gives +30% xp!

I don't know if this still works, but later on when you do your dungeon roulette at higher levels and you get a dungeon that's in that rings level range, put it back on for exp bonus all over again.

Same with the Shadowbringers pre order earring if you did the whole pre order thing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

S.J. posted:

That's because you're not using the proper jp dialogue. :v:

Though as a jp dialogue user watching patch trailers in english fucks me up cause i have no idea who's talking.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

S.J. posted:

Yeah, the jump from Emmy Award Winner Sam Riegel to A British Lad is a little jarring to say the least.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Givin posted:

I don't know if this still works, but later on when you do your dungeon roulette at higher levels and you get a dungeon that's in that rings level range, put it back on for exp bonus all over again.

The XP bonus is based on your synced level, as long as that's at or below the maximum listed in the description of the XP boosting item, it will work.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

S.J. posted:

Wait until you hear Raubahn. Most of the new actors make no attempt to sound like the old ones (that's a good thing, IMO)

Personally I think the VA changes were a massive improvement. Good variety of accents in the new cast, everyone just sounded generically American in ARR to me.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veotax posted:

Wait until you hear Raubahn. Most of the new actors make no attempt to sound like the old ones (that's a good thing, IMO)

Personally I think the VA changes were a massive improvement. Good variety of accents in the new cast, everyone just sounded generically American in ARR to me.

and the pronunciations oh god the pronunciations.

alphinaud doesnt have a hard D at the end. It made me cringe everytime.

in general the new cast is basically better in every conceivable way.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The only two ARR VAs I miss are Merlwyb's and Urianger's. Cid's newer voice is probably the most improved overall though. Going through Meridianum and the Praetorium is a trip since I routinely forget how bad ARR Cid's VA was.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I can't really remember what Thancreds original VA was like but I really hate the new one. It just doesn't suit him at all. New Alphinaud and Alisae are great though.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
No new voice is as good as Merlwyb's old voice.

e. No old voice either.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Old Alphinaud's voice is strangely appropriate for how annoying he is but new Alphinaud's voice is much better.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I hated Merlwyb in HW but I think she sounded alright when she recently reappeared in like 4.4 or whenever it was. Dunno' if the VA tried a different approach or something, she barely appears these days and is seldom voiced when she does anyway.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The most notable improvement for the 3.0 voice actor swap is Nanamo, who is incredibly grating in ARR the few times you hear her.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I liked the old Midgardsormr voice. I had no idea about the voice changes coming so hearing him when you start HW (like right away now instead of waiting for the expansion to drop) was a big shock.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
On the topic of very different voice actors, compare Japanese Tataru to the English one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqvbP8edLBA&t=98s

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Bruteman posted:

I liked the old Midgardsormr voice. I had no idea about the voice changes coming so hearing him when you start HW (like right away now instead of waiting for the expansion to drop) was a big shock.

ARR Midgardsormr talks far too slowly.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Vanderdeath posted:

The only two ARR VAs I miss are Merlwyb's and Urianger's. Cid's newer voice is probably the most improved overall though. Going through Meridianum and the Praetorium is a trip since I routinely forget how bad ARR Cid's VA was.

Gideon Emery for Urianger was good because Gideon Emery is so smooth, but ARR Urianger had few voiced lines, as I recall, so the loss is only jarring because I know the original actor so well.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Kanfy posted:

On the topic of very different voice actors, compare Japanese Tataru to the English one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqvbP8edLBA&t=98s

On the other side, the Japanese voice for Yuyuhase is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj6eQ7oitJo

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It is kind of weird that he's the only brown-skinned Garlean that we've seen though.

I choose to believe that by using a flash of light to change his armor to gold in Praetorium, he also inadvertently and permanently tanned the poo poo outta himself. Actions have consequences, Gaius.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Eimi posted:

That's because you're not using the proper jp dialogue. :v:

Though as a jp dialogue user watching patch trailers in english fucks me up cause i have no idea who's talking.

Same but German dialogue, although this did lead me to go watch the trailer in German. Not that it's any different but I do like that trailer.

I just hope DRK gets less annoying to play when they rework it. I'm a simple woman and don't like all the button mashing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yapping Eevee posted:

The most notable improvement for the 3.0 voice actor swap is Nanamo, who is incredibly grating in ARR the few times you hear her.

Seconded. ARR lalas all sound like children. The new cast of voice actors make them sound like merely high-pitched adults.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cythereal posted:

Seconded. ARR lalas all sound like children. The new cast of voice actors make them sound like merely high-pitched adults.

Tataru and Krile aren't even that high pitched though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5VjHPi4k0U

She just sounds like... A adult

ETA: Tataru is a bit squeakier but she still sounds like an adult, not some child.

Tashilicious fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 28, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Losing Merlwyb and Urianger's VAs was a goddamned tragedy and Ilberd going from Richard Epcar to whoever they got felt weird as hell. But on the whole it was a big improvement when they changed studios. Cid and Raubahn alone almost justified it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
English Pipin is also great. Dude gets HELLA INTO IT at the end of Stormblood.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Violently Car posted:

ARR Midgardsormr talks far too slowly.

I can get that, but that was why I liked it. It emphasized that he's ancient as poo poo. The new voice is like typical Dragonheart British guy and meh.

Made it to the moghome in HW and I enjoy Ysayle trying not to :3: over the moogles. It's a fun touch.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 28, 2019

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Bruteman posted:

I can get that, but that was why I liked it. It emphasized that he's ancient as poo poo. The new voice is like typical Dragonheart British guy and meh.

ARR he was probably still groggy from sleeping, he's fully awake after that.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

English Pipin is also great. Dude gets HELLA INTO IT at the end of Stormblood.

Also when did he become a DRK? Is that just since Ghimlyt, or did I miss it earlier.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Marathanes posted:

I choose to believe that by using a flash of light to change his armor to gold in Praetorium, he also inadvertently and permanently tanned the poo poo outta himself. Actions have consequences, Gaius.

Shigure disproves this.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Marathanes posted:

Also when did he become a DRK? Is that just since Ghimlyt, or did I miss it earlier.

he became a DRK because he's wielding a sword that a highlander was meant to use one-handedly :v:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The person they got for end-of-HW Papalymo sounded dull and depressed as gently caress. ARR Papalymo was basically a Disney character in terms of voice line delivery.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I keep expecting for Pipin to get a giant robot to pilot given his Japanese voice actor is basically famous for playing shouty hotblooded mecha pilots.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/DoctorPlato/status/1110977998860083202/video/1

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Did the first two Hildibrand quest lines (haven’t started the 2.3 one) last night. :discourse:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Losing Merlwyb and Urianger's VAs was a goddamned tragedy and Ilberd going from Richard Epcar to whoever they got felt weird as hell. But on the whole it was a big improvement when they changed studios. Cid and Raubahn alone almost justified it.

There's been some super solid VA work from the new studio. Matoya, Fordola, Lyse, Urianger, Alisaie, Gosetsu, and Zenos all have standout performances. Some of them have been sidegrades, depending on preferences: I like Gideon Emery's work, but Urianger's new VA matches the character well, and the same thing with Alphinaud's change in VA. Might just be that they've grown on me over the years, too.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 28, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I keep expecting for Pipin to get a giant robot to pilot given his Japanese voice actor is basically famous for playing shouty hotblooded mecha pilots.

Well, he is a DRK if his abilities in SB are any indication...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So how much new stuff have I missed since the first major content patch, when Shinryu EX was added? I've got the itch to MMO again (and drat me for my sins :arghfist::( ), and I've been gone since 4.1 or whatever that was.

Is it even a good time to come back or is that new expansion coming up putting the Pre Release Blues on the place

(ed) while I'm at it what's the class/role balance like nowadays, I haven't even kept up. I gather BLU got added but as kind of a gimmick thing and maybe there was something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The biggest loss from replacing all the VAs is definitely Merlwyb. She used to sound badass, I can't even remember what she sounds like currently because she hasn't made an impression at all. I miss Gideon Emery too, but honestly new Urianger is fine. It's not like he's significantly worse or anything.

Biggest improvement is absolutely Kan-E-Senna. Holy poo poo, her original voice annoyed me so much. Why the hell did she talk so slow? Now she sounds like an actual person speaking normally.