Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I admire your discipline to draw every day Heavy Liquid; are you spending a set amount of time on each sketch or does it vary? Also, is there any special reason for using a blue (pencil?) for your line work in some of your sketches ( if line work is even what it's called)?

Thanks! I'll be honest, it's been a struggle the past couple weeks for some reason. It varies, but I'd guess on average they range between 30 min to 1 hour each, give or take. 83 and 84 were maybe 5 or 10 minutes if that, and 81 was probably around 45 minutes.
It's a blue Prismacolor Col-Erase pencil, and I'm not sure why I keep gravitating to it. No special reason, other than I like how it looks. I try to experiment by throwing in some other colors sometimes, and doing digital stuff on the iPad.

2 today because I need to catch up:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I want to develop the fundamentals of making visual art, so I've started reading "Drawing with the right side of the brain" and for a week now I've been spending at least 20 minutes a day doing still lifes.

I thought I would post about once a week; I'd be deeply grateful for advice or criticism, I'm not taking art classes so this forum is basically where I hoped to get feedback, advice, and commentary.

Here's what I did today on my lunch break, on a 9" x 9" pad.

Edit: Should I take a photo of my subject in the future and post that as a side by side? The amphora is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anforagrega-atenas.jpg

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 27, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this is more of a value study trying to incorporate the advice i was given

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I want to develop the fundamentals of making visual art, so I've started reading "Drawing with the right side of the brain" and for a week now I've been spending at least 20 minutes a day doing still lifes.

I thought I would post about once a week; I'd be deeply grateful for advice or criticism, I'm not taking art classes so this forum is basically where I hoped to get feedback, advice, and commentary.

Here's what I did today on my lunch break, on a 9" x 9" pad.

Edit: Should I take a photo of my subject in the future and post that as a side by side? The amphora is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anforagrega-atenas.jpg

Nice! If you're looking for criticism then yeah, it might help to see a photo of your reference side by side. I'd say you're on the right track, and just keep going. Drawing from still lifes everyday is a great way to learn. And try to keep it up everyday, even if you don't feel like it at first. It's the only way you'll improve. Focus on the contours (edges) at first, and then you'll probably learn shadows and shading. If you keep it up everyday, you'll look back at your beginning drawings after a month or two and see a huge improvement.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ohgod moving house has murdered my art-mojo! Trying to get back into the groove today by doing a piece to beef up my illustration portfolio - "Doorway to Doom", a maptile for a boardgame that doesn't exist.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Whats up DOTRSOT buddy! :highfive:

Did this at the pool today after reading chapter 8:

Ran out of time, the kids class was over and I completed the inking at home.

forum tip: use timg instead of img to make it thumbed.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

lofi posted:

Ohgod moving house has murdered my art-mojo!

If it makes you feel more motivated, I got your rooster card the other day and my SO absolutely loves it

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
do they still sell gbx boots

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Flavius Aetass posted:

If it makes you feel more motivated, I got your rooster card the other day and my SO absolutely loves it

Wow, did that only just show up?! I sent that... huh... feels like months ago. Glad they like it, I've had a really positive response from them, I definitely want to do more when I get the chance.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

more value practice

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Is that based on a real city? I like the skyline!

I'm trying to get back into the swing of drawing regularly, which I haven't done in nearly ten years. Part of my problem is this dumb habit of being too afraid to use my nice art products until I'm ready to draw something ~really good~ I'm trying to remind myself they're just as wasted if I draw nothing waiting for the right idea to come along. These are just referenced from a comic book.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

bones 4 beginners posted:

Is that based on a real city? I like the skyline!

sort of? the skyline is off the dome but the imagery is based off of looking out towards manhattan on an elevated subway platform or from an apartment window over the tops of the brownstones back when i used to live in brooklyn. the huge shape with the aircraft warning lights on it in the way way back is based on a 1 second image from blade runner 2049 that has basically stuck with me ever since seeing the movie

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
https://twitter.com/muffinlordArt/status/1111698966754877441?s=19
Did a commission for a friend. I'll never pass up a chance to try getting better at drawing real people.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Flavius Aetass posted:

do they still sell gbx boots

https://www.newrock.com/en/military-bootie/44049-545655821-metallic-m-mili083c-c1.html#/20003-talla-36

This store has tons of different models, colours, and they all cost an arm and a leg. Super chunky bottoms tho, wanna stomp on a face with dem boots.

I really miss the fashion of huge buckle-filled boots. There's nothing for your self-confidence like suddenly being tall but also walking around in lethal weapons.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

The Muffinlord posted:

https://twitter.com/muffinlordArt/status/1111698966754877441?s=19
Did a commission for a friend. I'll never pass up a chance to try getting better at drawing real people.

I super need to know: how much did you struggle with the underside of the nose, on whether or not you wanted nostrils there?

also I made elves.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Quick sketch I plan on doing a little more on. (from ref)

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 30, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Participated in the #SigawDarna hashtag on Filipino Twitter to redesign classic Filipino comic book character Darna, whose original design was literally just a helmet and bikini. Also ended up following a bunch of cool Filipino artists from browsing it.

Next time I'll just try going for a clean cel shaded and inked look; I was waffling between comic book style and making it look more painterly and ended up just slapping a halftone filter as a homage to her comics roots but also to disguise my indecisiveness.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I super need to know: how much did you struggle with the underside of the nose, on whether or not you wanted nostrils there?

Less than you might think! Biggest thing I struggled with was directionality on the shading and lighting. I'm really working on trying to draw real people so they look less like bad life drawings and more like characters I draw using my mind's eye, and that's just kinda how I draw characters. I feel like putting two really dark spots in the center of a composition will just draw unnecessary attention to them, so I usually leave them out, unless it's actually necessary for a piece to have them.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

doodling while watching TV

It looks better in my sketchbook...

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Breaking my dry spell sketching at a 'gently caress brexit' gig.

'Helping' with getin

Soundcheck and poets

Hed(pe)-style spanish rap

Parisian poets collective, most of them were English, no idea why.

A band, whose energy I didn't do a very good job of catching here.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i worked on this compulsively for 10 straight hours

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
01/4

Digital crayon doodle. AKA I have no idea what I'm doing but gently caress it, let's try to draw once a day.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

It's time..................... for bird month.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Post your doodles, they said, post them daily.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

i worked on this compulsively for 10 straight hours

It shows. Real fukken nice.

I've been trying to do the whole "values" thing too.

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp
Best of today's Quickposes session. 45-seconds each.

Also Happy Poisson d'Avril!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

It shows. Real fukken nice.

I've been trying to do the whole "values" thing too.

v dramatic lighting on the vamp. im finding i was really afraid to use lighter values

and an animation

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
as a april fool's joke, yesterday I decided to draw my ocs in the calarts style....in a lovely attempt at parody. hope you enjoy it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

WiP of a map for a friend's rpg.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

WRESTLE BIRDS

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Here I filled it out for ya, I think I remembered all the fantasy races, lemme know if I forgot any.

No need to thank me, I'm here to help.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Here I filled it out for ya, I think I remembered all the fantasy races, lemme know if I forgot any.

No need to thank me, I'm here to help.

so many elves

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Snooty Elves is kind of a pleonasm. I love it.

Here is my daily, I have something else done too but no picture.

All the really doodly stuff is more to get into the daily habit of drawing, I will worry about technique and whatnot later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
https://twitter.com/muffinlordArt/status/1113215920556658698?s=19

I'm waiting on approval to post a commission so I jammed this it out in a couple minutes to get the idea out of my head.