Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Change the study to pistol shrimp and the NRA will insist it be funded in perpetuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TulliusCicero posted:

Russiagate is born from racism yes, and not the extremely shady evidence and deals that link Trump to multiple vicous dictators

You have really cracked the code

Actually evidence is quickly emerging that Russiagate promoters are in fact Trump operatives, deeply infiltrated into the Democratic Party and affiliated punditry to make Democrats look extra stupid.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

friendbot2000 posted:

Yup. The whole "well we are under budget, that means we have to spend as much of the difference as possible to make sure we dont get it cut" is sooooo loving stupid and that mentality needs to die.

Like, I thought being under budget was a good thing?

it depends

if you did it because you managed a great way of efficiently pulling it off than that's one thing (and by the way you're going to have keep doing this again)

or it means that your bid methodology for the budget are horribly off base and you're going to get screwed

if youre a contractor and your under budget on labor, your mangement will freak out because you probably have left money on the table

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

AceOfFlames posted:

In Europe they just assume you learned all that stuff in high school. If you're there to be an engineer, they teach you stuff directly related to that. And depending on the country, it is possible you haven't studied stuff like history since middle school since you "don't need it anymore".

I’d also argue that their societies operate as actual societies instead of the blood-soaked zero-sum game that is American society.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
BUT MAH GUNZ!!

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1111303034347372544

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rampant Dwickery posted:

I know the primary reason I was able to snag my position had less to do with my degree and more to do with the fact I was willing to move anywhere and everywhere at the drop of a hat. If I had put down any sort of roots during the recession and couldn't be mobile, I would have been completely hosed.

Yep. Unless you happen to live in an area with an incredibly hot job market, you are completely hosed if you aren't mobile. It's going to be rough when poo poo hits the fan again, because some of those hot job markets will likely shift and now is exactly the time that people who got sunk by the last recession are just beginning to put down roots.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Paradoxish posted:

I'm incredibly worried about her and anyone else stuck in that kind of limbo, because I think the next recession is going to be especially devastating to people in that middle ground.

Right now my wife is trying to finish her professional licensing, and has gone back to working part time. If she's able to get licensed that will give me some slight reassurance (though she'd be real lucky to make a third what I do, off the bat), but basically I am remote worker, right now we're entirely dependent on my income, and if the sector of the economy that I work in happens to just disappear we're going to be right proper hosed, and I worry about it a lot (even though I'm in the middle of changing jobs after 7 years of stability :rolleye:)

Of course, we're priviledged enough that my parents own their home, and so for us "catastrophe" is we get foreclosed on, sell all our poo poo and live in a fairly cramped but comfortable and warm basement that's almost-kinda-sorta-a-suite. I realize that the country is full of people who will just have nowhere to go if everything really implodes, and that seems bad. Frequent reminders from my Economist subscription that the post-2008 economy was rebuilt with a bunch of smoke and mirrors and no one really knows what's going to happen when the system gets stressed again seems really bad.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Radish posted:

Imagine being either this dumb or being paid to pretend you are this dumb.

https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/1111265818531282944?s=19

Worthless media still shocked when Republicans fall in lock step for Trump was disgusting two years ago.
they're paid really well to pretend to be this dumb and its probably the easiest possible way to actually get paid with your law degree. resistance grift ftw

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Donald Trump has done more to stop gun violence than Obama.

This infuriates both parties.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

im the fifty people who dove in this thread the second the Mueller Report was submitted to call everyone in this thread idiots for thinking DJT did crimes AMA

how does it feel to be vindicated after years of crazy Russia conspiracy-posting taking over D&D

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

friendbot2000 posted:

Yup. The whole "well we are under budget, that means we have to spend as much of the difference as possible to make sure we dont get it cut" is sooooo loving stupid and that mentality needs to die.

It's very frustrating but it makes total sense given that the GOP wants to cut every budget ever. If you're allotted $100 but only spend $80 then you're a very easy cut to make the next time some Paul Ryan lookalike wants to "get tough" on spending. No one wants to hamstring themselves so there's a real incentive to spend the $100 even if its on frivolous bullshit because you never know if you'll need that $20 next year for more staff or equipment or what not.

Ideally the government wouldn't punish organizations for going under-budget but to solve that we'd have to solve the constant drive/desire to cut budgets.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

skylined! posted:

Ya I kinda understand the desire to be traditional and go through the norms before hitting the nuclear subpoena options but uh, they need to just skip to the end on this one.

It's political, the Democrats are dotting the I's and crossing the T's and carefully following the legal processes because that's what puts them on solid ground because while yes the Republican are going to scream and cry along the way the Democrats will be able to point to a documented deliberate process to counter the expected craziness from the Right.

Also we all know that there isn't anything that's going to move the GOP, if what's in plain view hasn't been enough for them to get on board with impeachment there isn't anything that could come out that would do so.

Wars are not won in one decisive battle, they are won through a slow brutal slog and the side that can survive the attrition wins. We have almost 2 years until anything substantial can be done. The goal is to keep Trump embroiled in this mess in order to grind down his support and build up opposition against him and the GOP.

People are frustrating because they want that decisive final confrontation but that kind of thing doesn't work unless the prep work has been done, that confrontation comes on election night 2020 everything until then is just trying to soften their defenses and keep them off balance while not making a critical error that gives them victory.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

axeil posted:

Ideally the government wouldn't punish organizations for going under-budget but to solve that we'd have to solve the constant drive/desire to cut budgets.

You have to solve capitalism before that, because “if you can get by on $5 today, you can do the same tomorrow” is ingrained in our culture and is part of the reason why loads of people never see cost of living increases at their jobs. The GOP treats it like each family is a manufacturer that is finding ways to make their lives cheaper and better each year rather than the reality of “everything is getting more expensive because that’s inflation in capitalism”.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Burning_Monk posted:

Dude, what?

Obama wanted major gun reform after Sandy Hook. Republicans laughed in his face and pissed on the corpses of dead children.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Burning_Monk posted:

This is loving galaxy brain

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Dude, what?

Obama wanted major gun reform after Sandy Hook. Republicans laughed in his face and pissed on the corpses of dead children.

that doesn't really conflict with that post tbh.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

that doesn't really conflict with that post tbh.

No, but it's pretty clear that Trump has played a significant role in spurring a lot of the mass shootings over the past couple years.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Fahrenthold still deserves a pulitzer

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1111307419886469123

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

axeil posted:

I was literally the only person in my entire department to get a job out of school and for years afterword they would beg me to come back to talk to current students and convince them there's hope out there (there wasn't, i was a very in a very lucky and special situation).

My wife has friends she graduated with that are STILL law clerks 10+ years later. There used to be a time when that was the goal out of law school because it would land you a ton of opportunities after a year or two.

The long story short: You hit the job market between 2008-10 you are pretty much still hosed over by it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Majorian posted:

No, but it's pretty clear that Trump has played a significant role in spurring a lot of the mass shootings over the past couple years.

oh absolutely. Trump is definitely terrible and doesn't give a poo poo about gun violence or gun control at all, which is why it's ironic that he was able to do more on the issue than Obama. i don't see that post as some kind of value judgement on Obama.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

If only Obama hadn't wasted so much time trying to pass meaningful gun legislation and instead just had the DOJ ban iron sights we might not have had to endure this semantically useless argument.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

oh absolutely. Trump is definitely terrible and doesn't give a poo poo about gun violence or gun control at all, which is why it's ironic that he was able to do more on the issue than Obama. i don't see that post as some kind of value judgement on Obama.

Eh, I think you have to judge their respective records by their net effect, though. Obama was bad on gun control, no question, but I think when you weigh the positives against the negatives, Trump so far has been worse overall.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dude, what?

Obama wanted major gun reform after Sandy Hook.
And I want a pony.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh hello Clearcut Fraud, such a shock to see you associated with upstanding businessman Donald J Trump

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Couldn't they set it up so that departments that come under budget could be guaranteed no more than a particular cut (like 5% of what they saved) and the remainder of the money go to workers as a bonus?

At least the money would go to better use instead of wasted food or equipment that's not needed.

Though it could be argued it still would be spending if it goes to workers or used on lightbulbs or whatever.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

friendbot2000 posted:

The manager should just take the bonus.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Retro42 posted:

The long story short: You hit the job market between 2008-10 you are pretty much still hosed over by it.
Yeah i can confirm. Got out of school in May 2008 and the job market was already hosed

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And I want a pony.

Ok, so what should Obama have done with a Republican Congress to get any sort of gun reform? If the answer is "nothing" then I don't see how you can realistically blame Obama.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ok, so what should Obama have done with a Republican Congress to get any sort of gun reform? If the answer is "nothing" then I don't see how you can realistically blame Obama.

none of these posts are blaming him

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I think their point is that Trump has actually accomplished something in terms of gun control, in the form of this ban, while Obama really didn't accomplish anything tangible. I think that's a little misleading of a picture, but it's technically true.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah i can confirm. Got out of school in May 2008 and the job market was already hosed

:same:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

kidkissinger posted:

none of these posts are blaming him

I get that, but saying that Trump "did" more is misleading if not disengenuous. Trump banned a murder toy accessory. Wow. No more bump stocks! That fixes everything! And it only got through because the Republicans got the OK from their NRA masters to throw the liberals a bone and make it seem like they're Very Concerned and Doing Something About It.

Obama, on the other hand, could have had reasonable gun reform had he had the support of Congress.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I stayed in school for so long repeating classes that I was able to get a job when the recession ended! :v:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Majorian posted:

I think their point is that Trump has actually accomplished something in terms of gun control, in the form of this ban, while Obama really didn't accomplish anything tangible. I think that's a little misleading of a picture, but it's technically true.

:same:

Banning bump stocks isn't really an "accomplishment." It was, literally, the absolute least they could do.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

I should have graduated in 2007 and felt the full brunt of the recession but had the foresight to gently caress up a bunch and didn't graduate until 2011 :smug:

I get that, but saying that Trump "did" more is misleading if not disengenuous. Trump banned a murder toy accessory. Wow. No more bump stocks! That fixes everything! And it only got through because the Republicans got the OK from their NRA masters to throw the liberals a bone and make it seem like they're Very Concerned and Doing Something About It.

Obama, on the other hand, could have had reasonable gun reform had he had the support of Congress.

It's a bad joke.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Last night, the Oklahoma Democratic Party office in Oklahoma City got a bunch of really awful nazi poo poo painted on it. And the sidewalk around it.

Extremely racist antisemitic transphobic ethnic cleansing threats Hitler references. It’s basically everything hateful.

it’s really vile and they left a letter with more awful things

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10161319338335276&id=192738335275&__tn__=%2Cg

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loc...9030f4a4d4.html

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Banning bump stocks isn't really an "accomplishment." It was, literally, the absolute least they could do.

Yeah, but it's still accomplishing infinitely more than nothing. Even though it wasn't entirely Obama's fault, he still accomplished literally nothing in this regard. And unfortunately, one can't blame it entirely on the Republicans either. As with so many other causes, Obama's team didn't try as hard as they could have.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It was, literally, the absolute least they could do.
And Obama didn't do it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Majorian posted:

Yeah, but it's still accomplishing infinitely more than nothing. Even though it wasn't entirely Obama's fault, he still accomplished literally nothing in this regard. And unfortunately, one can't blame it entirely on the Republicans either. As with so many other causes, Obama's team didn't try as hard as they could have.

Lol Obama could have had everyone with a D next to their name spend every waking moment trying to accomplish literally any gun control and you know for a fact it wouldnt have passed. Get this "he could've done more on guns" poo poo outta here.

Plenty of stuff he did poorly but this is a dumb one to harp on.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Like... by a rocket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Honestly, let him ban bump stocks. The Democrats will still hate him and Republicans will poo poo themselves that their god emperor is about to ban guns.