Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

What the gently caress????

Tyrantrum is like in the absolute top tier pokemon designs. And Haxorus is a doofy axe dragon and rules

Whenever Haxorus uses a physical ability on you he first says "Hey let me AXE you a question!" in perfect English, it's kind of weird but I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Just a heads up, but Passimian is good now (well maybe).

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1111223652178112513

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Nasgate posted:

A fully evolved dragon Pokemon that doesn't look like garbage is always on my Pokemon wishlist.
Druddigon's been around since gen 5 ok

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Dragonite, Kingdra and Altaria look perfectly fine.

Salamander, Garchomp, Haxorus, Jangmo-o, Hydreigon and Tyrantrum are a truly ugly sextet of monsters, though. I don’t think it’s even like thoughtful ugly. It’s just lazy ugly.

Dragonite is pretty goofy-looking. It's also one of the most dramatic evolutionary changes: from a blue, elegant Chinese dragon to an orange, fat European dragon. Gyarados, Milotic, and Salamance all look more like an evolved form of Dragonair than Dragonite does.

Edit: Come to think of it, Dragonite looks more like an evolved form of Magikarp than Gyarados does. I can definitely see Magikarp's whiskers becoming Dragonite's antennae, and they're similarly colored. Were the designs for Dragonite and Gyarados swapped or something?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 28, 2019

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Noivern is a glorious bat dragon, top tier.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Dragonite is pretty goofy-looking. It's also one of the most dramatic evolutionary changes: from a blue, elegant Chinese dragon to an orange, fat European dragon. Gyarados, Milotic, and Salamance all look more like an evolved form of Dragonair than Dragonite does.

Edit: Come to think of it, Dragonite looks more like an evolved form of Magikarp than Gyarados does. I can definitely see Magikarp's whiskers becoming Dragonite's antennae, and they're similarly colored. Were the designs for Dragonite and Gyarados swapped or something?

Magikarp's dorsal fin is all along Gyarados's back and Gyarados has the same whiskers.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

The only part of this post that even comes close to making sense is Dragonair -> Milotic. All the rest of it is like you ignored any of the features that Dragonair and Dragonite do actually share (and Magikarp and Gyarados, for that matter) in favor of looking exclusively at, at best, vaguely similar color schemes.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Silver2195 posted:

Dragonair and Dragonite were designed by two different people, so that probably explains the disconnect.

Also Tyrantrum loving rules, god were none of you ever 10 years old?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Tyrantrum begs the question "why the gently caress aren't Tyranitar and Aerodactyl dragons?"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Aurorus is a good looking dinosaur that doesn’t deserve the conceptually interesting but competitively garbage rock/ice type. Should have just made it an ice dragon.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

https://twitter.com/splendidland/status/1111234339302502400

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that’s a bug from hollow knight

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Nasgate posted:

Tyrantrum begs the question "why the gently caress aren't Tyranitar and Aerodactyl dragons?"

Because only the King gets to be a dragon :colbert:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm playing OmegaRuby and having a good time with this awesome DexNav thing, thinking how cool it is I can root out Pokemon with Hidden Abilities and Egg Moves, and I think "wait...how do I get a Hidden Ability for a Pokemon that doesn't show up in the wild?"

Specifically I really want Totodile (and Bulbasaur and Turtwig) with HA but I don't know how to get the HA on any starter, or fossil Pokemon, or whatever else doesn't just spawn in random encounters.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

I evolved him at 26 and got Swords Dance, not sure I could have managed to evolve him much earlier.

That's fine, it's just they get more special moves as they go on unevolved and you have to get to a move relearner to get the physical ones back.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SuperKlaus posted:

Specifically I really want Totodile (and Bulbasaur and Turtwig) with HA but I don't know how to get the HA on any starter, or fossil Pokemon, or whatever else doesn't just spawn in random encounters.

Usually those are released in events with their HAs and then people breed them because that's really loving stupid but lol Game Freak. I'm entirely sure Totodile with HA was released, I think with PokeBank, but I'm not sure of the others.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm playing OmegaRuby and having a good time with this awesome DexNav thing, thinking how cool it is I can root out Pokemon with Hidden Abilities and Egg Moves, and I think "wait...how do I get a Hidden Ability for a Pokemon that doesn't show up in the wild?"

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_with_released_Hidden_Abilities_(Generation_VI)

Seems Totodile was event-only, Bulbasaur by trading from XY and Turtwig by transferring from a Gen 5 event. Maybe ask the trade thread if anyone has HA starters in Gen 6 they can breed for you?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Whalley posted:

SR should be shattered after it hits something. If you don't have a poke that can do so without taking damage, you're hosed by it - but only once.

This would also be an awesome solution. The thing is just provides way too much return for so little investment. Either you need more setup, or you need to mess with how long it lasts/how much damage it nets you.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dabir posted:

E: And yes, I know Smogon use the simulator, but their rules get more and more arbitrary over time. They're supposed to be simulating the actual games, that's why you can't do something like putting a Dry Skin Helioptile in a BW-style perma-rain team. The actual games had a cutoff at gen 6, Smogon should have too. In fact, I reckon they should have a rolling distance cutoff - if it takes two or more transfers to get something into the game whose ruleset you're using, it's not legal.

If you can theoretically get it in the games it should be legal in the simulator. I don't see why not.

At the very least the only thing I can glean from this is just banning all event pokemon/moves, or just events that are defunct (a generation old?), which I can sympathize with I suppose. Most actual pokemon tournaments ban all event pokemon regardless of how strong they are anyway.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

They're either distributed through events or you get them by looking for them in wild in sun and moon I guess. Don't worry about it. Once you make the jump over to 7th gen I'll breed you up a bunch of starters with their hidden abilities if you want.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

It's not germane to Stealth Rocks but I would like to know why competitive Pokemon has bizarre tiers based on metagame analysis and no points-based balancing like virtually every other (non-card) game where you select what to use from a list of game assets. Seeing as the phone game and now Let's Go assign Pokemon overall power numbers, there is probably a framework for balancing lists in place there that just needs to be grown. Every miniatures game in existence does this.

How would you define the points without also essentially creating 'bizarre tiers' anyway? You would end up with the top tier pokemon worth the most points etc. It seems like it would just be taking the current Smogon tierlist and creating a new metagame from it, which could be interesting.

But it's not really 'bizarre' how the tiers are defined. Smogon bases them on usage percentages. They track how often a pokemon is used on teams in the Pokemon Showdown simulator, and then they make cutoffs based on this for the tiers. So if a pokemon gets more than at least ~3.41% total usage in the OU metagame (where everything that is not Uber is allowed) then that pokemon is defined as OU.

From this they then ban anything that is deemed 'metagame centralizing' or generally unhealthy. This is always pretty controversial but they're usually pretty good - a metagame isn't really fun if the entire metagame is centered around using on pokemon on your team and attempting to countering that same pokemon on your opponent's team.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Procrastine posted:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_with_released_Hidden_Abilities_(Generation_VI)

Seems Totodile was event-only, Bulbasaur by trading from XY and Turtwig by transferring from a Gen 5 event. Maybe ask the trade thread if anyone has HA starters in Gen 6 they can breed for you?

Get Gold or Silver from the E Shop for HA Totodile.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

Get Gold or Silver from the E Shop for HA Totodile.

They're playing Gen 6 and I think transferring from Virtual Console locks Pokémon into Gen 7? I don't know, I've never done it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think Tyrantrum and Hydreigon are cool looking dragons. Noivern is great too. Gen 6 had some great dragons.

Flygon is also a cool looking dragon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Honestly most dragons are fine? I can't think of any that totally put me off altogether. Also noivern is clearly the best and most perfect angel.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Thanks for the information. At first look Pokemon metagames look like balancing by gentlemen's agreement and coming from other games I'm allergic to that.

Flopsy posted:

They're either distributed through events or you get them by looking for them in wild in sun and moon I guess. Don't worry about it. Once you make the jump over to 7th gen I'll breed you up a bunch of starters with their hidden abilities if you want.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Usually those are released in events with their HAs and then people breed them because that's really loving stupid but lol Game Freak.

Procrastine posted:

[ Maybe ask the trade thread if anyone has HA starters in Gen 6 they can breed for you?

I was afraid of something that stupid :smith: Thanks for the info, though, all of you. I did not know there was a trade thread. I'm playing OR and X after the Walmart sales deal. I'm jumping into the franchise since HeartGold on emulator a couple years ago and Blue as a kid way back so I've missed a lot. I particularly appreciate your offer Flopsy for whenever I can catch a deal on a new game.

I was so looking forward to a sleek new modernized Feraligatr after that was my pal all through HeartGold too.

edit: where's the trade thread? SA Mart?

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 28, 2019

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You can get the Hidden abilities for the Gen 1 and 2 starters by playing the Virtual Console versions of RBY/GSC and transferring them to Pokebank. They even get a fun Gameboy Emblem if you do.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Flopsy posted:

I can't think of any that totally put me off altogether.

Fraxure

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hydreigon is gorgeous and its your fault if you dont like weed

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Ignite Memories posted:

Hydreigon is gorgeous and its your fault if you dont like weed

How could you not love this weird floating dragon? :3:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If SR didn't exist 6v6 single matches would regularly last 50 turns or longer. You need to control switching somehow and Rocks are the most viable way of doing that. Really, there should be more kinds of entry hazards. Rocks only seem unbalanced because 6v6 singles see more switching than the other formats. You very rarely see Rocks in VGC, 6v6 doubles, or 3v3 singles.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

There should be a held item to make you immune to entry hazards and if you use it a pokemon comes out of the game and becomes your irl friend.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Cool idea: Stealth Rocks should activate Weakness Policy if they do extra damage.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ziddar posted:

How could you not love this weird floating dragon? :3:

mine rolls up all dolled up in choice specs rockin the name Dank Pulse but that's just me

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

edit: where's the trade thread? SA Mart?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837723&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
https://discord.gg/TypXHz7

It's in the OP, there's a discord too, probably more active these days, I haven't actually used either :v:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

Just a heads up, but Passimian is good now (well maybe).

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1111223652178112513

https://twitter.com/TKOWL/status/869011244199575553

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

pospysyl posted:

Cool idea: Stealth Rocks should activate Weakness Policy if they do extra damage.

see now this is an actually good policy to have

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Fracture gets a solid "eh" from me. It's one of those pokemon that literally evokes no emotion. Trying to actually think of pokemon I actually hate now and the best I can do is the pikaclones I guess? I'm not that passionate about it.

Oh..wait I hate Hypno if only because it's got those horrendous pedo vibes.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So Smogon is a thing and Dogasu's Backpack was a thing

What's the deal with Pokemon fans and Koffing?

Also I think that's the first time I've ever typed out Koffing, what a weird word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Koffing is very good.