Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You know what still gets me about this series, is the title: The Sword of Truth. Sight unseen, it sounds like it's going to be a metaphor or something, like the titles of the Robert Jordan books — The Path of Daggers, A Crown of Swords, that sort of thing. Just poetic names with only the most tangential and figurative relation to the story. But then you read it and it turns out that no, it's literally about a sword that does Truth things. Like it has the loving word truth written on it

It'd be like if The Fires of Heaven turned out to be about the atmosphere catching fire and burning, and not like in a poetic way like if you shot a nuclear missile into them, more like if someone set a campfire in the troposphere and God got third degree burns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Data Graham posted:

You know what still gets me about this series, is the title: The Sword of Truth. Sight unseen, it sounds like it's going to be a metaphor or something, like the titles of the Robert Jordan books — The Path of Daggers, A Crown of Swords, that sort of thing. Just poetic names with only the most tangential and figurative relation to the story. But then you read it and it turns out that no, it's literally about a sword that does Truth things. Like it has the loving word truth written on it

It'd be like if The Fires of Heaven turned out to be about the atmosphere catching fire and burning, and not like in a poetic way like if you shot a nuclear missile into them, more like if someone set a campfire in the troposphere and God got third degree burns

What I remember from attending a Terry Goodkind signing in uhhh 2004 was that he grew to hate the sword imagery and saw it as a necessary evil to get people hooked and reading his message. He was proud of fighting with the publisher to remove the sword illustration from the chapter headings and the map from the front pages. These were the trappings of fantasy, and he did not view himself as a fantasy author but as a creator of provocative Literature.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

wizzardstaff posted:

What I remember from attending a Terry Goodkind signing in uhhh 2004 was that he grew to hate the sword imagery and saw it as a necessary evil to get people hooked and reading his message. He was proud of fighting with the publisher to remove the sword illustration from the chapter headings and the map from the front pages. These were the trappings of fantasy, and he did not view himself as a fantasy author but as a creator of provocative Literature.

Look he just wanted to be able to say god was a rick rahl and the Man kept telling him he needed swords for truth.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Data Graham posted:

For most of my life I thought "Sword of Truth" was "Sword of Shannara" which features a sword that literally reveals the truth. That's until I read this thread and discovered that "Sword of Truth" is far worse than the fantasy schlock of my youth and doesn't even have a Sword of Truth. It has a Sword of Beserker Rage with "Truth" scratched on the side by some rear end in a top hat.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mr. Prokosch posted:

For most of my life I thought "Sword of Truth" was "Sword of Shannara" which features a sword that literally reveals the truth. That's until I read this thread and discovered that "Sword of Truth" is far worse than the fantasy schlock of my youth and doesn't even have a Sword of Truth. It has a Sword of Beserker Rage with "Truth" scratched on the side by some rear end in a top hat.

Isn't it even dumber, in that "truth" is written in raised lettering on the grip?

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Mr. Prokosch posted:

How about you show some respect for The Sword of Truth! (which only lets you harm people if the wielder, subjectively, believes them to be wicked)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There's an illustration of the sword hilt as drawn by a 7-year-old in at least one of the books.

Here's a replica someone made from that:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Shaking lemur butt posted:

How about you show some respect for The Sword of Truth! (which only lets you harm people if the wielder, subjectively, believes them to be wicked)

The wielder is the ultimate avatar of rationalism so they will always be objectively correct.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Isn't the only "Truth" revealed the knowledge of which Box of Orden is the one that activates Godmode?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

gschmidl posted:

There's an illustration of the sword hilt as drawn by a 7-year-old in at least one of the books.

Here's a replica someone made from that:

Is the hilt misaligned on purpose?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Thanks, I loving hate this.

Zedd's in the nearly-abandoned city of Aydindril, still guarding the Wizard's Keep. Setting off an ancient laser trap light web spell that nearly killed Jagang in the novel I skipped did a loving number on the Order forces, but it didn't solve the problem, merely keep them away. Worse, Zedd only had the one, not that the Order knows that.

Anyway, here's this part. Had we gotten here sooner I might have just brushed past this, or waved onwards while making a comment about "smug logic-lords", but in this day and age, it takes on a certain special bitter tang:

quote:

Zedd held no illusions about ending the threat of the Imperial Order simply by killing Jagang. Jagang was merely the brute who led other brutes in enforcing blind faith in the Order, a blind faith that embraced death as salvation from what it preached was the corrupt misery of life, a blind faith in which life itself had no value but as a bloody sacrifice upon the altar of altruism, a blind faith that blamed the failure of its own ideas on mankind for being wicked and for failing to offer sufficient sacrifice in an endless quest for some illusive greater good that grew ever more distant, a blind faith in an Order that clung to power by feeding off the carcasses of the productive lives it ruined.

A faith that by its very beliefs rejected reason and embraced the irrational could not long endure without intimidation and force— without brutes like Jagang to enforce such faith.

While Emperor Jagang was brutally effective, it was a mistake to think that if Jagang were to die that very day it would end the threat of the Order. It was the Order's ideas that were so dangerous; the priests of the Order would find other brutes.

The only real way to end the Order's reign of terror was to expose the naked evil of its teachings to the light of truth, and for those suffering under its doctrines to throw off the Order's yoke. Until then, they would have to fight the Imperial Order back as best they could, hoping at least to eventually contain them.

I feel like before the current landscape we live in I would have called that chunk out in passing, but holy poo poo when that's a giant crisis a few fields don't know how to handle and my own is even going "yeah actually the reverse is true"... That does bring me to another thought, though.

I know Goodkind is an objectivist, and that tends to go hand in hand with right-wing politics, or at the very least some libertarian poo poo. And this series has not shied away from political caricature and strawmen aplenty. So with the books continuing on at a relatively regular clip into the current time period? I think what I'm suddenly most morbidly curious about is how loving weird are the politics gonna get? Will there be a 2016 remastered Hildaberta Clangtor in the new novels? Am I going to see surreal fantasy Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez? (Yes I absolutely believe all of his targets are going to be women. No idea why.) I'm really chomping at the bit to find out now!

Anyway, back to Zedd recounting where things are after his big scene in the last book:

quote:

For a time, after Jagang's army had moved on, they had wandered into the city, sometimes alone, sometimes in small groups, half starved, to search for food and to loot. Zedd had lost count of how many such men he had killed.

He was reasonably sure that all of those stragglers were dead, now. The Order was made up of men mostly from cities and towns. Such men weren't used to living in the wild. Their job was to overwhelm the enemy, to kill, rape, terrorize, and plunder. A whole corps of logistics personnel provided them with support, delivering and dispensing a constant stream of supplies that rolled in to feed and care for the soldiers. They were violent men, but they were men who needed to be tended, who depended on the group for their survival. They didn't last long on their own in the trackless forested mountains surrounding Aydindril.

But Zedd hadn't seen any of them for quite some time. He was reasonably sure that the stragglers had starved, been killed, or had long ago headed back south, to the Old World.

There was always the possibility, though, that Jagang had sent assassins to Aydindril; some of those assassins could be Sisters of the Light, or worse, Sisters of the Dark. For that reason, Zedd rarely left the safety of the Keep, and when he did, he was cautious. Too, he hated poking around the city, seeing it so devoid of life. This had been his home for much of his life. He remembered the days when the Keep was a hub of activity— not as it once had been, he knew, but alive with people of all sorts. He found himself smiling at the memory.

I feel one thing that kinda kills me is that we never really get a sense of just how much the world has changed in Zedd's lifetime alone. It's been called out before but Zedd and Nathan were some of the most interesting characters by a mile just because they were old enough to have seen such alien poo poo to the rest of our cast. I guess the Sisters at the palace also count, but to a lesser degree given that most of them never did poo poo-all outside of the place.

Anyway, Zedd's reminiscing lets us know that the Order armies have left the city for now and are going for "easier fare" - D'Hara, who don't have two absurdly pissed off old spellcasters holed up in the magical fortress from hell. He heads back inside (noticing three odd birds he doesn't recognize overhead, just to rub it in), and sets some physical traps and alarms as well on his return, anticipating that while anyone who gets inside might be able to see and try to pass his magical wards, they won't be looking for something as pedestrian as "bells on a string". When we leave him again, he's eating a lovely stew Adie made.

Richard meets another dude from a few novels ago. Nicci went off to do some poo poo because Richard got sidetracked saving Kahlan, and the resistance is trying to use the Old World against the Order: specifically, all the roads. This is actually a giant plus in my book because that's exactly the kind of poo poo that changed Europe in history via the infrastructure Rome laid down, even if a lot of it went to poo poo as the empire crumbled - before Dream Daddy gets back from the New World, they're using the incredibly interconnected nature to spread their libertarianism freedom across all the cities they can, otherwise, Altur'Rang becomes a single target they can point the soldiers at and crush in one blow.

An absurdly grim fact is the following:

quote:

"More importantly, after eliminating those who resisted the Order's teachings, he filled the minds of children, who didn't know any better, with blind faith in those teachings, turning them into zealots eager to die for what they were taught was a noble cause— sacrifice to some all-consuming greater good. Those young men, their minds twisted with the teachings of the Order, are now off to the north conquering the New World, butchering any who will not take up their altruistic tenets."

Nobody comments on this, but holy gently caress, they're straight up genociding an entire generation of the Old World. I really, really want to get into his post-failure R&K novels just to see if he does anything with the aftereffects of "I sent a mass of the world's population to another dimension and with it, most of the youth of a land mass the size of Russia". Probably not, but hey.

Anyway, Nicci left a letter and a bundle. The letter says, in short: "Dear Richard and Kahlan - holy poo poo Jagang has done something loving horrifying and keep in mind I'm fantasy-Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS. I've left to go try and put a stop to that. In the meantime, y'all found a thing last novel that the guy writing these recaps didn't mention at all, so let me just point out it existed prior and, as you might expect when you look at it - it's a warning beacon. There are two of them paired, one in amber, one which I don't know anything about which will absolutely play into the climax of this novel. They're meant to warn you of something and I have no idea what it is. But anyway since it's shaped like Kahlan your wife probably hosed something up somehow. Love, Nicci"

Cara touches the statue and it does ghost poo poo:

quote:

Cara wasn't pleased to find such a thing and didn't want to leave a representation of Kahlan lying about for anyone to find and to pick up for who-knew-what. Cara snatched it up, then, even though Richard started to yell at her to leave such a thing be. When she picked it up, it started turning translucent. In a panic, Cara set it back down.

That was when the right arm had lifted and pointed east.

That was when they could begin to see through the thing, to see the sand inside trickling down.

The implied danger of the sand running out had them all upset. Cara wanted to pick it up again and turn it over, to stop the sand from falling. Richard, not knowing anything about such an object and doubting that so simple a solution would have any beneficial effect, hadn't allowed Cara to touch it again. He had piled rocks and brush around it so no one else would know it was there. Obviously, that hadn't worked.

He knew now that Cara's touch had nothing to do with what was happening, except to initiate the warning, so he thought to confirm his original belief. "Cara, put it down."

"Down?"

"On its side— like you wanted to do the last time— to see if that will stop the sand."

Cara stared at him for a moment and then used the toe of her boot to tip the figure over on its side.

The sand continued to run as if it still stood upright.

"How can the sand do that?" Jennsen asked, sounding quite shaken. "How can the sand still fall— how can it fall sideways?"

"You can see it?" Kahlan asked. "You can see the sand falling?"

Jennsen nodded. "I sure can, and I have to tell you, it's giving my goose bumps goose bumps."

Richard could only stare at her staring at the statue of Kahlan lying on its side. If nothing else, the sand running sideways through the statue had to be magic. Jennsen was a pillar of Creation, a hole in the world, a pristinely ungifted offspring of Darken Rahl. She should not be able to see magic.

And yet, she was seeing it.

And before they can do anything with this, someone makes a noise, Richard draws the sword, and I'll leave you on a line that is probably supposed to make me fear for our hero, but instead I just chuckle:

quote:

The magic did not come out with the sword.

...actually I'm just gonna add one more line here and skip all of chapter 14, which is half "BODIES CRASHED INTO BODIES AND SWORDS ALSO CRASHED INTO BODIES" and half (literally half of the chapter) "Kahlan touched a man and used her power". This is loving endless and this is only a sample:

quote:

Kahlan's vision focused on the man bearing down on her. His arms lifted like a bear lost in a mad charge. His teeth were gritted with determination. A grimace twisted his face in his wild effort to reach her before she could dodge to the side, before she had a chance to escape. She knew he was too close for her to have that chance and so she didn't waste any effort in a useless attempt.

This one had made it past the killing. He had avoided Jennsen and Sabar. He had figured his attack to skirt Richard's blade while making it past Cara's Agiel as she turned to another man. He hadn't charged in madly like the rest; he had delayed just enough to time his onslaught perfectly.

This one knew he was on the verge of having what he sought.

He was far less than a heartbeat away, plunging toward her at full speed.

Kahlan could hear Richard's scream even as her gaze met the gleam of the man's dark eyes.

The man let out a cry of rage as he lunged. His feet left the ground as he sailed through the air toward her. His wicked grin betrayed his confidence.

Kahlan could see his eyeteeth hooked over his cracked lower lip, saw the dark tooth in the front of the top row between his other yellow teeth, saw the little white hook of a scar, as if he had once been eating with a knife and had accidentally sliced the corner of his mouth. His stubble looked like wire. His left eye didn't open as wide as his right. His right ear had a big V-shaped notch taken out of the upper portion. It reminded her of the way some farmers marked their swine.

She could see her own reflection in his dark eyes as her right arm came up.

Kahlan wondered if he had a wife, a woman who cared for him, missed him, pined for him. She wondered if he might have children, and, if he did, what a man like this would teach his children. She had a momentary flash of the ugliness it would be to have this beast atop her, his wire stubble scraping her cheek raw, his cracked lips on hers, his yellow teeth raking her neck as he lost himself in what he wanted.

Time twisted.

She held out her arm. The man crashed in toward her. She felt the coarse weave of his dark brown shirt as the flat of her hand met the center of his chest.

That heartbeat of time she had before he was atop her had not yet begun. Richard had not yet managed to take a single frantic step.

The weight of the bear of a man against her hand felt as if it were but a baby's breath. To Kahlan, it seemed as if he were frozen in space before her.

Time was hers.

He was hers.

The rush of combat, the cries, the yells, the screams; the stink of sweat and blood; the flash of steel, the clash of bodies; the curses and growls; the fear, the terror, the heart-pounding dread... the rage... was no longer there for her. She was in a silent world all her own.

Even though she had been born with it and had always felt it there in the core of her being, the awesome power within, in many ways, seemed incomprehensible, inconceivable, unimaginable, remote. She knew it would seem that way until she let her restraint slip, and then she would once again be joined with a force of such breathtaking magnitude that it could only be fully comprehended as it was being experienced. Although she had unleashed it more times than she could remember, no matter how prepared she was the extraordinary violence of it always still astonished her.

She regarded the man before her with cold calculation, ready for that violence.

As he had charged in on her, time had belonged to this man.

Now time belonged to her.

She could feel the thread count of the fabric of his shirt, feel his woolly chest hairs beneath it.

The heart-pounding shock of the sudden attack, the violence of it, was gone now. Now there was only this man and her, forever linked by what was to happen. This man had consciously chosen his own fate when he chose to attack them. Her certainty of what was called for carried her beyond the need for the assessment of emotion, and she felt none— no joy, not even relief; no hate, not even aversion; no compassion, not even sorrow.

Kahlan shed those emotions to make way for the rush of power, to give it free run.

Now he had no chance.

He was hers.

The man's face was contorted with the intoxicated, gloating glee of his certitude that he was the glorious victor who would have her, that he was now the one to decide what was to become of her life, that she was but his to plunder.

Kahlan unleashed her power.

THERE'S MORE PAGES OF THIS BEFORE IT'S DONE.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
They talk so much about how killing Jagang would not stop the Order, because they're an evil communist death cult, but this has always been bullshit. He's a dreamwalker, by far the strongest weapon in the Order's arsenal. The Sisters of the Light might very well have put a serious dent in Jagang's forces (when Zedd comes and rescues them from loving all up), but he has mages of his own to counter them. And most of these mages very much don't believe in the Order's teachings, but they're slaves to Jagang's dreamwalker powers.

the_steve posted:

Isn't the only "Truth" revealed the knowledge of which Box of Orden is the one that activates Godmode?

The only objectively true fact, yes.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 27, 2019

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

THERE'S MORE PAGES OF THIS BEFORE IT'S DONE.

Solidarity.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

the_steve posted:

Engraved on the hilt is the word IDDQD.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Torrannor posted:

They talk so much about how killing Jagang would not stop the Order, because they're an evil communist death cult, but this has always been bullshit. He's a dreamwalker, by far the strongest weapon in the Order's arsenal. The Sisters of the Light might very well have put a serious dent in Jagang's forces (when Zedd comes and rescues them from loving all up), but he has mages of his own to counter them. And most of these mages very much don't believe in the Order's teachings, but they're slaves to Jagang's dreamwalker powers.

Can't be a good fash if your enemy wasn't all powerful, but also very weak.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

END ME SCOOB posted:

Nobody comments on this, but holy gently caress, they're straight up genociding an entire generation of the Old World. I really, really want to get into his post-failure R&K novels just to see if he does anything with the aftereffects of "I sent a mass of the world's population to another dimension and with it, most of the youth of a land mass the size of Russia". Probably not, but hey.

Surprise! Everything continues as-is, including new evils.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This isn't a very good communist parallel with all the religion.

as I recall when they do kill Jagang the IO falls apart

The Yearded One's command of language is awful but I think we've made fun of it enough.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

This isn't a very good communist parallel with all the religion.

as I recall when they do kill Jagang the IO falls apart

Hmm. The book pretty much ended like 10 pages after they killed Jagang IIRC, so when do we see the Order fall apart? In the sequels?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Torrannor posted:

Hmm. The book pretty much ended like 10 pages after they killed Jagang IIRC, so when do we see the Order fall apart? In the sequels?

I vaguely remember social order breaking down because Dick Roll was so good at sports

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

To be fair, he did accurately predict that an unfair referees call would start a soccer riot

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Torrannor posted:

Really, if you think about it, the Order pretty much wins.

Sure, they lose Jagang, but, Richard gives them exactly what they wanted: A world without magic where they can all live in Strawman Pseudo-Communism.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I've been catching up with the thread on and off for a while and now I'm finally caught up I'd like to say thanks for your cathartic comentary on this trash.

Also why can't Dick's sister see the invisible man's 'shadow' in the sand? She definitely saw the fireball that she blocked in the last book. Ignoring that, as described wouldn't she have to be seeing the grains of sand where they would have been if the man wasn't there? Why doesn't she just see the man if she's unafected by the magic? This poo poo hurts my brain.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Data Graham posted:

Well um.

The crown of swords is, in fact, the name Rand gave to the laurel crown. Cause there's swords in it, pointing down, making you feel them when you wear it.

It's funny to me that the iron throne and the crown of swords both debuted in 1996.

I don't know that any of the other books did that though. Towers of midnight are, y'know, some towers named that, but they're not literally midnight or made of pitch black magic essence of nightmare put there by wizards to protect the midnight castle or someshit.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mr Phillby posted:

I've been catching up with the thread on and off for a while and now I'm finally caught up I'd like to say thanks for your cathartic comentary on this trash.

Also why can't Dick's sister see the invisible man's 'shadow' in the sand? She definitely saw the fireball that she blocked in the last book. Ignoring that, as described wouldn't she have to be seeing the grains of sand where they would have been if the man wasn't there? Why doesn't she just see the man if she's unafected by the magic? This poo poo hurts my brain.

If the spell was some sort of astral projection type thing where he wasn't physically there, but magically projected an illusionary/ethereal copy of himself, then she wouldn't see him because he isn't there. Of course, he shouldn't see her either...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Magic system continues to be terrible, make no sense.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

silvergoose posted:

Well um.

The crown of swords is, in fact, the name Rand gave to the laurel crown. Cause there's swords in it, pointing down, making you feel them when you wear it.

It's funny to me that the iron throne and the crown of swords both debuted in 1996.

I don't know that any of the other books did that though. Towers of midnight are, y'know, some towers named that, but they're not literally midnight or made of pitch black magic essence of nightmare put there by wizards to protect the midnight castle or someshit.

The Towers of Midnight was also a name for the Forsaken, which fits the poetic criteria better. The "real" Towers of Midnight in Seanchan were never on-screen.

Dirk the Average posted:

If the spell was some sort of astral projection type thing where he wasn't physically there, but magically projected an illusionary/ethereal copy of himself, then she wouldn't see him because he isn't there. Of course, he shouldn't see her either...

He did show up as some kind of astral projection, but I thought Richard saw him because some sand or dust particles swirled around the projection, making him visible? Then Jensen should have been able to see those, too.,even if she can't see the magic.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

the sand/dust was magic too, duh

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Types of Magic:
Additive
Subtractive
Sand

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

JcDent posted:

Types of Magic:
Additive
Subtractive
Sand

This tracks what with Jennsen being able to see the hourglass when it gets turned sideways. Sand: Magic for Everybody.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

END ME SCOOB posted:

This tracks what with Jennsen being able to see the hourglass when it gets turned sideways. Sand: Magic for Everybody.

maybe it's like how you usually can't see Stands if you aren't a Stand user, but you can see any physical objects that Stands are possessing or manipulating!

:goonsay:

oh god why am I comparing anything JoJos to this, what did Araki do to anybody

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I mean, a Stand is just Sand with tea.

...I'll see myself out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

END ME SCOOB posted:

I mean, a Stand is just Sand with tea.

...I'll see myself out.

Noooo! Come back, we want to suffer with you through SoT!

The evil pacifists are coming up, I wonder if that whole plot is as stupid as I remember.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

I'll take stupider than you remember.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's real bad, I've read 75% of this one in note form.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Given how one-note it is, I'm not surprised.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I demand you post the whole Richardinspirationalspeech.txt where he convinces them through his rightness that killing unarmed countrymen is the only moral action

Also where he notes that the people hes indoctrinating educating repeat his words to one another as though testing them

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Is it this novel where he's all "don't blindly follow someone or I'll kill you" immediately followed by "now follow me blindly or I'll kill you"?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Isnt that all of them

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Isnt that all of them

All of them after like the second book yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's the one where Terry works through his feelings about anti-war protesters.

Also there is a long boring bit about crawling through a cave.

I can't remember much more but this book did get the biggest laugh out of me in the entire series for the you know the bit I'm talking about scene near the end.