Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Coohoolin posted:

I guess that's fine then and culturally directed extirpations of minority languages don't happen

I don't doubt that minority languages die but I wonder what you mean by "culturally directed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

MonikaTSarn posted:

All that talk about sports and England/Scotland reminded me of an old thought I had: If all the football federations in the UK had been united since 1960 or so, there never would have been a Scotish independance referendum. Is that a silly thougth from an outsider only ,or do I have a point ?

It's an interesting alternative history hook. It seems if such a thing were to have happened it would have been a result of some other significant thing. Like a civil war.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
in summary England is a shithole full of cunts who deserve everything brexit visits upon them

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

learnincurve posted:

It really is all kicking off in Parliament.

What's going on? The BBC website got smart overnight re: VPNs it seems, and I can't see the live report anymore :/

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 28, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

That Italian Guy posted:

What's going on? The BBC website got smart overnight re: VPNs it seems, and I can't see the live report anymore :/

This doesn't sound good. We're blocking Europeans (other ones) from seeing what we're doing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

Did everyone forget the numerous politoons about the Scots being heroin addicts and "subsidy junkies" that abounded during 2014?
A good majority of those were from Stanley McMurtry, who is a professional poo poo.

I'm not going to speculate on whether that makes him a 'self hating Scot', but he is a 'big prick'.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I don't doubt that minority languages die but I wonder what you mean by "culturally directed".
London did it, either as a way of unifying populations (like trying to eradicate Welsh) or just as a consequence of where they put their money; one of the drivers of dying Northern dialects was all the radio stations being BBC English throughout most of the 20th century.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This doesn't sound good. We're blocking Europeans (other ones) from seeing what we're doing?

Nvm, wonky VPN, it's working now. Also there something about Man.Utd going on now <.<

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MonikaTSarn posted:

All that talk about sports and England/Scotland reminded me of an old thought I had: If all the football federations in the UK had been united since 1960 or so, there never would have been a Scotish independance referendum. Is that a silly thougth from an outsider only ,or do I have a point ?

There are some who theorise the rise of Scottish independence sentiment is because we don't have regular Scotland England international games any more.

crispix posted:

The posters who first brought this up were comparing their experience of living in the smaller nations to that of black Americans. Yours is a very different definition.

I had this in NI but I have never thought of this as English privilege because none of my teachers were from England. Again, if we're now defining English privilege as the historical imposition of a dominant language and culture over others that we are still feeling the effects of then this is a very different idea to what was being suggested earlier. An important starting point in this very different debate though would be to define exactly who among "the English" was asserting that language and culture and I would suggest the need to be clear that it has gently caress all to do with the vast majority of people who happen to live in England today.

I don't think anyone was blaming the vast majority of ordinary English people?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

they should be, they're all responsible

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

marktheando posted:

It turned out nobody was actually prepared to define it!!! :coffeepal:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
If we need to be united over vomitng over something, here is Jeremy Hunt:

quote:

Hunt claims the mantle of one nation Conservatism, saying his party has not had the chance to implement it during this decade. He says:

"Everything [David Cameron] wanted to do was eclipsed by the need for huge public spending cuts and austerity after the financial recession. Theresa May arrived as a one nation Conservative and had to deal with Brexit. So we have really never had a chance to show the British people what one nation Conservatism can be."

Guillotine. Wall. Spiked pit. Bath of acid. Any option of your preference.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Please stop posting the word "Nene". I can practically HEAR you mentally pronouncing it "Nee-Nee" and it's killing me.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm English and once met a pure bred edinburgher posho my age and holy poo poo

Imagine an English posho but it knows its cursed

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

It’s fun watching ukmt lose its mind it real time.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1111320392143159297

Labour is trying to appeal against this being admissable, it looks like.

Also, confirmed that this is the last time they'll be able to vote on the WA without changing its actual content (or finding another procedural trick).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

One nation conservatism is a genuinely hilarious ideology to hold

Imagine... The whole UK is the Isle of Man

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

the celtic nations hate the english for the same reason people who're in prison for murder hate nonces. we're bad, but we're not that bad

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

Azza Bamboo posted:

I live in a district that, in local elections, has more UKIP votes than Labour. My ward votes overwhelmingly Conservative with UKIP and Labour being roughly tied at 2nd place.

I should knock on doors but in truth I have no idea what my Conservative district council has voted on and what Labour would do differently. There's no website publishing its meetings or decisions. I'd just be pestering people for crosses in boxes with nothing to back it up.

For Azza and anyone else interested in this, you will be prepared by your session leader before going out as to what the issues are! It's not just deciding to knock doors yourself, your local branch/CLP organises it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hentai Jihadist posted:

One nation conservatism is a genuinely hilarious ideology to hold

the UK would be better with no speed limits tbh

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TomViolence posted:

the celtic nations hate the english for the same reason people who're in prison for murder hate nonces. we're bad, but we're not that bad

Wow.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

marktheando posted:

No, they were implying that English people don't suffer it though, which lots of them do. There is definitely accent/dialect privilege, it's just not 'English' privilege.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 28, 2019

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
this is like a really poo poo phoenix wright

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

Also, confirmed that this is the last time they'll be able to vote on the WA without changing its actual content (or finding another procedural trick).

Well yeah it's mays deal in all but name and if they vote against it its no deal and if they vote for it it's mays deal after all this poo poo

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TomViolence posted:

nice av u filthy pervert

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

Hanged, drawn and quartered.

Including the bit about being fed with their own testicles.

I think they did it to some Scottish guy once.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JFairfax posted:

the UK would be better with no speed limits tbh

I think if goods vehicles need a slower speed limit then motorcycles should be allowed to go faster.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Do we have any experts that can tell us whether the "akin to nonces" is genetic or merely cultural?

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
The WA contains the backstop, right?

... The bit the DUP and ERG hate.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Do we have any experts that can tell us whether the "akin to nonces" is genetic or merely cultural?

do you know how analogies work, mate?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Regarde Aduck posted:

ask the anime avs

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Look, nobody is doubting that the English are just awful. Just the worst. Awful accent, they have sex with their dogs, they eat eel for breakfast. Just awful creatures.

But the Celts have their bad points too. Like allowing themselves to live so close to the English. Vile beings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sloth Life posted:

Please stop posting the word "Nene". I can practically HEAR you mentally pronouncing it "Nee-Nee" and it's killing me.
As they say in Cape Dutch, nen. :colbert:

Pesky Splinter posted:

But we haven't had a chance to be properly nationalist yet :qq:

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Give it a few years.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

I guess that's fine then and culturally directed extirpations of minority languages don't happen

The "culturally directed extirpations of minority languages" in Scotland happened pre act-of-union you daft Swiss oval office.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

TomViolence posted:

Wow shocking hateful rhetoric against famously marginalised and nonce-averse ethnic group, the english.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TomViolence posted:

do you know how analogies work, mate?

Look i'm just trying to make this argument continue for as long as possible so kindly back off.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That Italian Guy posted:

I wound back to Leadsom's statement, trying to work out what's going on - everyone's asking technical questions and going "what the gently caress" at the answers though

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Look, nobody is doubting that the English are just awful. Just the worst. Awful accent, they have sex with their dogs, they eat eel for breakfast. Just awful creatures.

But the Celts have their bad points too. Like allowing themselves to live so close to the English. Vile beings.

colonised_by_wankers.gif

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gonzo McFee posted:

i like eel sushi

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Midnight- posted:

The WA contains the backstop, right?

... The bit the DUP and ERG hate.

Yeah - this is more squared at MPs who potentially will support the backstop in exchange for having control over the future relationship being taken away from May.

Though of course as May will resign once the WA goes through that means the future relationship as actually at the mercy of the new leader of the Tory party and without statutory footing to place the future relationship in the hands of parliament it's a pretty bland offer, basically leaving the future relationship open for a later date but clearing a path for one possibly even worse than what she proposed being persued by her successor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

as far as i'm concerned if you tell me i can't irrationally hate the english in a vague and inchoate way this is a form of violence and i won't stand for it. my forebears fought, bled, died, and eventually gleefully collaborated with the english in a globe-spanning white supremacist empire for my right to hate the english