Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

TomViolence posted:

as far as i'm concerned if you tell me i can't irrationally hate the english in a vague and inchoate way this is a form of violence and i won't stand for it. my forebears fought, bled, died, and eventually gleefully collaborated with the english in a globe-spanning white supremacist empire for my right to hate the english

New thread title for whenever we're exiled to ScotPol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Starmer isn't having any of the government's poo poo:

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1111319086049443841?s=21

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's that guy who said he was Scottish but supports England in sports.. That's disrespect for both scotland and the England team.

The team is fuelled by deluded hope from England and overwhelming contempt from everyone else

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

No, they were implying that English people don't suffer it though, which lots of them do. There is definitely accent/dialect privilege, it's just not 'English' privilege.

Different types of privilege intersect! Nobody is saying every English person is more privileged overall than every Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish person!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

Different types of privilege intersect! Nobody is saying every English person is more privileged overall than every Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish person!

yes they literally said that

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sloth Life posted:

Please stop posting the word "Nene". I can practically HEAR you mentally pronouncing it "Nee-Nee" and it's killing me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9wh8QpgU30

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Darth Walrus posted:

Starmer isn't having any of the government's poo poo:

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1111319086049443841?s=21

fourth
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1111319498865430528

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

creating a hierarchy of privilege among the home nations is something only those from the home nations and the broader anglosphere can really indulge in, cos to everybody else in the world it's like trying to nose the difference between the varying flavours of poo poo they've had forced down their collective throats for sometimes hundreds of years

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I really don't see where the numbers for the WA alone are, unless DUP somehow votes in favour and the entire ERG folds and votes in favour. That's what you get when you try to ~crush the saboteurs~

Unlike my earlier prediction I do think it'll be closer than MV1 or MV2, but still a clear defeat (maybe by 40-60?)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Edinburgh is England.

not to us yanks it ain’t

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

So in other words what they're hoping will happen is they'll say "Look the wolf is at the door, just vote for this half then we can sort out the rest later" and then right afterwards go "Right now vote for the political declaration because the EU won't accept anything else other than exactly this. Anything else is a direct vote for hard brexit"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is it pronounced Edinburg or Edinburrow? I'm hearing conflicting opinions.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Honestly, as a leftist over in America, the degree of venom this thread has for efforts towards self-determination staggers me. On the practical level, why on earth would scotland vote for labour when yall admit that scotlab is blairite shitwipes? if you want them to focus on how good corbyn's labour would be for them then why the gently caress do you not just abolish scotlab and then campaign in scotland on your general policies?

But a bigger thing for me, again, is the hostility towards self-determination as nationalism. like I get that nationalism creates an unjust hierarchy, i'm a workers of the world unite kind of guy, but again, demanding that scotland destroy all traces of nationalism just strikes me as complaining about the mote in the SNP's eye while ignoring the log in labour's. i don't believe for a second that labour, even with corbyn, doesn't message heavily on caring about british citizens first and the oppressed abroad at a distant 10th or whatever. like your entire welfare system is built on the blood shed by your previous empire and i don't think corbyn is quite far left enough to advocate for raising up the global south, especially if it means at the expense of britain.

i'm not trying to do a "yet you participate in society!" take here, but it just seems like you guys tend to hold SNP voters to standards that you have no interest in applying to the rest of the UK.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 28, 2019

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
can't we all just unite in our hatred of london.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Katt posted:

'burgh' is pronounced 'burra'

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Edinbawbag

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

embra

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjW8wmF5VWc

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Katt posted:

*Edinburger*

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Katt posted:

Embra

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Katt posted:

Neither

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1111326326450016256

:brexit:

Well there goes that then.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1111326326450016256?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw no surprises

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
or, if you're a Wegie,

Mrenda posted:

*Edinbugger*

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Sex Robot posted:

So in other words what they're hoping will happen is they'll say "Look the wolf is at the door, just vote for this half then we can sort out the rest later" and then right afterwards go "Right now vote for the political declaration because the EU won't accept anything else other than exactly this. Anything else is a direct vote for hard brexit"

The enticement is "vote for this and May is gone", AKA: one of you gets to decide what happens next. Defo not enough to move the death cultist in DUP, since they have no interest in the Tory leadership, as they'll still be in a position of power to make demands.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly, as a leftist over in America, the degree of venom this thread has for efforts towards self-determination staggers me. On the practical level, why on earth would scotland vote for labour when yall admit that scotlab is blairite shitwipes? if you want them to focus on how good corbyn's labour would be for them then why the gently caress do you not just abolish scotlab and then campaign in scotland on your general policies.

But a bigger thing for me again is the hostility towards self-determination as nationalism. like I get that nationalism creates an unjust hierarchy, i'm a workers of the world unite kind of guy, but again, demanding that scotland destroy all traces of nationalism just strikes me as complaining about the mote in the SNP's eye while ignoring the log in labour's. i don't believe for a second that labour, even with corbyn, doesn't message heavily on caring about british citizens first and the oppressed abroad at a distant 10th or whatever. like your entire welfare system is built on the blood of your previous empire and i don't think corbyn is quite far left enough to advocate for raising up the global south, especially if it means to be at the expense of britain.

i'm not trying to do a "yet you participate in society!" take here, but it just seems like you guys tend to hold SNP voters to standards that you have no interest in applying to the rest of the UK.

most of the posters in this thread don't like team sports because they were awful anti-social nerds in school, so they do not understand the collective joy and pleasure of a nation taking pride in itself.

plus they all suffer from the english privilege of being a dominant nation that had a big empire, so never had to resort to nationalism to genuinely defend itself from an oppressor.

so it's a mix of ignorance and privilege.

typical brits then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Be interesting to see whether the ERG goes along with them. Not meaningful to the outcome of the vote, but interesting.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 28, 2019

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i think if youer scottish you should have to type in a scottish accent

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

not to us yanks it ain’t

in my experience yank tourists in edinburgh aren't really sure if they are in England, Scotland or Ireland

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

not to us yanks it ain’t

i guarantee that 99% of yanks have no idea what the gently caress an edinburgh is.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

A big flaming stink posted:

i guarantee that 99% of yanks have no idea what the gently caress an edinburgh is.

Or, as the joke goes, when the one o'clock gun goes off

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1110491483373797377

They're actually segregating housing developments play parks based on wealth.

veery troubling. looked into this and it turns out access is based on service charge. its also where i used to play footy and there is a park right there called lambeth doorstep green, so maybe would have been better if they'd built more houses on the site? tricky one

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Eddin bruh

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Edinhazard

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Eddin where, bruh?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

not to us yanks it ain’t

Most yanks can't point out their own country on a map so who gives a gently caress

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

JFairfax posted:

most of the posters in this thread don't like team sports because they were awful anti-social nerds in school, so they do not understand the collective joy and pleasure of a nation taking pride in itself.

that’s patriotism, there is a difference

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

marktheando posted:

in my experience yank tourists in edinburgh aren't really sure if they are in England, Scotland or Ireland
Just try to convince them they are in France, it may works.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Protip: pronounce Edinburgh correctly but insist on calling everyone "the Scotch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

that’s patriotism, there is a difference

I think he just wanted to call us beta cucks.