Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

for years i thought gradle files for android projects were some weird bespoke config-file language created specifically for gradle. nope turns out it's standard groovy code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Share Bear posted:

if you can go to java 8 then refactoring a lot of legacy groovy stuff is easier, but yeah, the syntactic sugar of it isn't as strong of a selling point in 2019 as it might've been in 2012

sorry for your lots

I'm currently stuck on Java 7 because too many of our applications are using Grails 2.x and therefore refuse to come up under Java 8. :suicide: Meanwhile, apparently enough plugins we're using didn't make the leap to Grails 3.x to make simple upgrades impossible! :suicide: :suicide:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

i dont understand how groovy of all languages ended up being Blub for so many people at my company. im trying to update and fix some gradle scripts with janky plugins that do magic undocumented things and i will finally admit that maven is better.

gently caress groovy, gently caress spock, gently caress gradle

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
groovy begat gradle begat gradlew which I pronounce "grad loo", which makes me chuckle

then I think "my son is also called gradlew" and chuckle again

therefore groovy is ok with me

(also I never have to use it)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juHgQBB2tLU&hd=1

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
wish they'd add ?. to java. it's such a simple thing, why do they resist adding simple things and then go and add complex things like modules instead

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Soricidus posted:

wish they'd add ?. to java. it's such a simple thing, why do they resist adding simple things and then go and add complex things like modules instead

lawyers at the wheel and in the wheelhouse

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
ive unironically thought about porting our jenkinsfiles from groovy to kotlin or something

gently caress groovy is bad even for “declarative” (note: not actually remotely declarative) build systems

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
the shameful collection of yaml and chmod+x scripts that every other ci system uses is so much better than loving groovy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
groovy is so bad that i actually feel bad for the people who made it. like i worry about their self-esteem.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the creator of groovy has more or less publicly disowned it, saying they wouldn't have created it if they knew scala existed at the time

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
that's not much of a reason

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
groovy is fine btw

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
also here's a platinum upgrade code for the first taker: ADE752B-9C6ED1B73C-CD9C3

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
why dont you use it yourself

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gazpacho posted:

also here's a platinum upgrade code for the first taker: ADE752B-9C6ED1B73C-CD9C3

yoink :tipshat:

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Gazpacho posted:

groovy is fine btw

hello post from 20 years ago

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

hello post from 20 years ago

speaking of 20 years ago, y'all like microkernels with message passing???

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i prefer marco kernels

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
as someone who is pretty uninformed, microkernels have always naively seemed like the better design.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a kernel is a kerneloid in the category of endofunctors

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

microkernels are super fun in an academic, computer science-y point of view when you're starting the wiki drawing out the diagrams for your super smart design of how the different servers will all work. a lot of the early ones that were built had huge practical problems though

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"oh my gosh, latency matters??" - every microkernel ever

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i don't know a ton about this stuff but i like in some modern oses how they push some of the stuff from kernel into user space. so you get the "this part can crash and it won't take everything else along with it" benefit, but the rest of the kernel can still be fast and less complicated than a "real" microkernel

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JawnV6 posted:

yeah it seems like a case of a good design not working at all in practice

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

physics / engineering

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

and that's why microsoft put the font renderer in the windows kernel!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

didn't they put a whole bunch of GUI stuff in there during the 90s to make the system feel faster for users? i wonder how mad dave cutler was about it

e: also it looks like they might have recently changed font rendering to a more secure design

https://www.petri.com/microsoft-quietly-moved-font-parsing-appcontainer-anniversary-update

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 27, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

didn't they put a whole bunch of GUI stuff in there during the 90s to make the system feel faster for users? i wonder how mad dave cutler was about it

e: also it looks like they might have recently changed font rendering to a more secure design

https://www.petri.com/microsoft-quietly-moved-font-parsing-appcontainer-anniversary-update

they put the entire gui renderer into the kernel (gdi)

they also put the entire http implementation for the web server into the kernel

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
for all i know putting all of gdi and iis into the kernel actually made architectural sense, though

maybe the ~*~ microkernel ~*~ made that a really dumb and easy thing to do

i'm not a windows nt expert

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they put the entire gui renderer into the kernel (gdi)

they also put the entire http implementation for the web server into the kernel

hypertext transfer pwnage

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on the one hand memory protection/safety within the kernel was such a core part of the microkernel proposition originally that it is hard to argue that things are microkernels without it, and it has never panned out performance/flexibility-wise

otoh that is then used as an excuse to not try to have kernels *logically* split into processes, to not introduce useful ipc, and some flexibility in how things are configured (e.g. like above just moving stuff in and out of kernel space according to the needs of the usecase, which is a lot easier to do with a design which defines how such components should work and interact with the system)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
kernelspace font rendering may cause a lot of cves, but it also makes windows flicker slightly less, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

see L4, it works if you aren't bad at it

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I recently had a meeting with a bunch of microkernel devs and they were extremely conscious about the performance to the point where their wallboard was a series of repeating tests checking the speed of the kernel on various hardware matched up to git commits to demonstrate how it was getting faster all the time

It was very cool but essentially entirely academic. They definitely had valid use cases but every practical example was prepended with "...and we got it working, but it was a huge amount of work for an entire team of people" even if the use case was "be a very basic http server"

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
How many of the recent security issues in our favourite monokernel would have been avoided in a microkernel?

The various RCE exploits in network stacks would have been a problem, because from the network daemon you'd be able to sniff all my traffic and send the interesting bits to Russia anyway.

For that matter, if you have RCE in a server that runs in userspace under my user account, you can use the usual mechanisms to read all the data I care about (/home matters, the rest of / does not).

It would be great if I could mount dubious USB filesystems in userspace, but for the big filesystems (like /) a crash is just as bad as a total kernel panic, because it's not like I'd be able to continue working, and I might lose data. Same with a crash in the display driver.

So I'm not sure there are many security benefits to a microkernel, and the stability benefits are probably not meaningful when the system as a whole is still as tightly coupled as a modern desktop system. It might still be a good design for drones and robots and such (isn't the vxworks on the Mars rovers a microkernel?).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subverting a microkernel's network driver (or TCP/IP stack) doesn't immediately give you full control of the kernel and therefore complete access to all of the filesystem or process memory.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i still think that particular discussion misses a lot of the point. it is not like a pl having a good module system and parallelism primitives will guarantee the lack of security problems, but it is obviously very helpful

the philosophy of kernel design often being reduced to "well, we have access to all memory so from here it is just as well we smear ourselves in poo poo and write a monolith in overly clever c and dumb-as-hell assembler" (in this type of conversation if only rarely in practice) is really outmoded security thinking, a case of the old approach of figuring that we'll build one inpenetrable barrier perfectly and attempting any other mitigations is a thoughtcrime undermining the one inpenetrable barrier.

whenever performance permits it is also very nice if you can e.g. unmap memory suitably for the task at hand, but having a properly architected structured system to do so within is not just a prerequisite but also hugely useful in itself

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If you ever used NT 4 you would know that this was practically necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"stable kernel driver interface" oh goody i love IHV-maintained drivers that have some mandatory garbage winamp skin interface that marketing says has to show up as much as possible

and its own updater don't forget that

why not add a little light spyware while we're at it

os-level protection is very important particularly to protect against the user not paying a monthly subscription fee for absolutely loving everything

i mean yeah linux and the whole posix model in general have a somewhat discredited design at this point but fuschia is a land grab and nothing more. it is in nobody's business interest other than google's, qualcomm's, and cell carriers' for it to succeed.