Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lycus posted:

Watch them uncover how the CPD manufactured evidence.

Watch them find a whole fuckin cop internal emergency response truck full of guns and drugs stolen out of evidence to drop on people as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Conversely, I'd like to announce to the New York Times that they are free to call me Dick Dorkins.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

selec posted:

Asheville’s a great town,, sorry for talking politics in your politics thread

I did a portrait of Asheville last year.

https://www.facebook.com/david.guthrie/media_set?set=a.10103509396907317&type=3

I loved it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
LMAO the National Popular Vote Compact weirdos actually think they're going to make the EC go away without an amendment.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1111329917042675712?s=19

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

eviltastic posted:

For fucks' sake. "Where are all the loving white people?" Really?

I mean yeah, dumb nazis and all, but you could loving walk to Nichols Hills from there, and it's a straight shot to Edmond.

e: For those who aren't familiar with the locale, the nazi(s) are doing the white genocide rant in a city where the vestiges of redlining are really obvious and not too far from the very place the nazi vandalized.

Whenever anyone, but especially Republicans, says '____ does not represent who we are' that thing totally represents who they are

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Going by another thread, Dick Dawkins also recently watched Arrival and was amazed by it or something.

LOL at big brain stem lord thinking discovering non grade school level story telling stuff.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Dick Dork is also pretty misogynist, right?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TheScott2K posted:

LMAO the National Popular Vote Compact weirdos actually think they're going to make the EC go away without an amendment.

It's a long shot but it's a hell of a lot less of a long shot than an amendment.

It doesn't deal with the problem of the Senate being unrepresentative of the population, though.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

This is extremely stupid

No what is extremely stupid is the lack of any self-examination or remorse from US media groupthink in how their already dodgy credibility and handed a huge propaganda weapon to Trump. It truly is the most shameful case of US media groupthink since the Iraq war. There may even be promotions. Rachel Maddow will keep her job. They will continue to expect everyone to take them seriously and promote themselves as guardians of truth and democracy. There have already been ridiculous attempts to spin some vindication from this. It's like doomsday prophets recalculating after their predicted apocalypse passes uneventfully, with just enough suckers hanging around to keep them in business.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pakled posted:

It's a long shot but it's a hell of a lot less of a long shot than an amendment.

It doesn't deal with the problem of the Senate being unrepresentative of the population, though.

It is a complete waste of effort that will fall apart the moment it has to be used. The only way is an Amendment. There's no avoiding it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Sounds more like to me that you think empty feel good gestures like banning bump stocks are infinitely better than trying and failing to have meaningful gun control debates including having a sit-in in congress to try and force the GOP to debate, which actually didn't reward the Democrats at all if 2016 was any indication.

I didn't say they're "better," but yes, actually getting a ban, even a relatively meaningless one that won't make much of a difference, is infinitely more of an accomplishment than not accomplishing anything at all. This shouldn't be this difficult to parse. .000001 is still infinitely greater than zero. That's not to praise Trump; everyone here knows that I have nothing but vitriol for him. But Obama accomplished nothing on the gun control front, regardless of whether or not you blame him personally for that. (and I think it's fair to place more of the blame on other factors, like the Republicans, to be clear)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Confounding Factor posted:

No what is extremely stupid is the lack of any self-examination or remorse from US media groupthink in how their already dodgy credibility and handed a huge propaganda weapon to Trump. It truly is the most shameful case of US media groupthink since the Iraq war. There may even be promotions. Rachel Maddow will keep her job. They will continue to expect everyone to take them seriously and promote themselves as guardians of truth and democracy. There have already been ridiculous attempts to spin some vindication from this. It's like doomsday prophets recalculating after their predicted apocalypse passes uneventfully, with just enough suckers hanging around to keep them in business.

*nods sagely*

So what does the report say Mr. Barr?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

*nods sagely*

So what does the report say Mr. Barr?

You don't have to be a Trump acolyte to think that the media needs to reassess its priorities after this embarrassment.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Really though, gently caress the EC, gently caress the NPVIC, gently caress an amendment. Redraw the states and reduce them to administrative subdivisions of the whole.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Majorian posted:

You don't have to be a Trump acolyte to think that the media needs to reassess its priorities after this embarrassment.

Everyone who talks like this watches too much cable news and thinks that's what "the media" is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Casey Finnigan posted:

Dick Dork is also pretty misogynist, right?

He tried to get Rebecca Watson to come back to his room at a skeptics conference when they were alone in an elevator, when she talked about it he got her blacklisted from any convention he was appearing at, effectively kneecapping her career

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

will fall apart the moment it has to be used.

How exactly?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Everyone who talks like this watches too much cable news and thinks that's what "the media" is

I don't watch cable news at all, and other forms of media (news sites, people on social media, etc) also overplayed their hand w/r/t the allegations of collusion.:shrug:

What media sources do you think covered this whole investigation well?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Gorson posted:

If you have anyone trying to argue this point, direct them to suicide rates and how they have been increasing. There is no better yardstick for a nation's overall well-being.

Suicide rates, opioid overdoses, and deaths from alcoholism (cirrhosis et al) are all on the rise. The US is depressed and killing itself quickly or slowly.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Angry_Ed posted:

You'd think after 2 years and 3 months of Trump people would realize that Executive Orders aren't unstoppable but I guess it's time for a refresher.

Barack Obama signed an executive order to close Guantanamo Bay. The Republicans, predictably, found ways to impede the progress of this via Appropriations and Funding bills that removed funding for things like transfers, as well as complaining about how it's too risky and dangerous to have those evil terrorists on our own soil in regular people courts instead of secret tribunals. So do you really think, with even less of congress in Democratic control at the time of Sandy Hook, that an executive order for gun control would pass without challenge?

Gun regulations often get into weird crazypants procedural territory due to heavy reliance on (often strained) administrative interpretation of really outdated statutes that Congress is afraid to tinker with. It's not readily analogous to areas where congress is regularly taking an active hand like appropriations. As Rent-A-Cop said upthread, a ton of stuff happens in this area without congressional input.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

You can't blame the Obamas for having drat good taste
Asheville is amazing; my wife and I go there for a few days every year. It's like our one vacation.

The Obamas know what they are talking about.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheScott2K posted:

Does this provision take into account changes in population, electoral votes, or the addition or removal of states from the Union?

Be real funny if adding PR as a state fucks it up

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dwarf74 posted:

Asheville is amazing; my wife and I go there for a few days every year. It's like our one vacation.

The Obamas know what they are talking about.

i would like going to Asheville a lot more if my wife didn't insist on going to Biltmore every time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

How exactly?

In the current political alignment, it would require a state that went red, which would likely be governed by Republicans to flip their EC votes blue. They will never do that. They'll pass something real quick that makes it so they don't have to, and it'll start a chain reaction that turns it to dust. It is an enormous waste of time, effort, and hope.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Any type of gun reform would have expanded extensive political capital, so forgive him if he didn't blow his wad on "random accessory."
Nice of him to leave his overflowing Scrooge McDuck vault of ~~political capital~~ for the next guy.

Just think of how awful it would have been if Obama hadn't ended his term with such a massive surplus of political capital. The thoughts and prayers industry world be in tatters!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does this provision take into account changes in population, electoral votes, or the addition or removal of states from the Union?

Be real funny if adding PR as a state fucks it up

I don't think it matters. I'll be surprised if a single red or purple state joins anyway.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Ok well gently caress him for not banning an accessory which will do nothing.

Any type of gun reform would have expanded extensive political capital, so forgive him if he didn't blow his wad on "random accessory."

Presidents don't "blow their wad" of political capital by pursuing big projects that their voters support. They gain political capital that way. The whole Third Way/"West Wing" mindset of "Oh, we can't do that big important thing, because it means we can't do other big important things in the indefinite future" needs to go away forever, because it's completely divorced from reality.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

In the current political alignment, it would require a state that went red, which would likely be governed by Republicans to flip their EC votes blue. They will never do that. They'll pass something real quick that makes it so they don't have to, and it'll start a chain reaction that turns it to dust. It is an enormous waste of time, effort, and hope.

Yeah but since Republicans can only win the EC while also winning the popular vote it doesn't hurt, either

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Majorian posted:

Actually I think "media" (whatever that is) is a both sides trainwreck that plays important politics like a horse race. I'm just curious how he and every other self righteous person knows the report completely validates what Barr has stated being that only Barr has apparently seen it

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Lemming posted:

Yeah but since Republicans can only win the EC while also winning the popular vote it doesn't hurt, either

Nonsense "solutions" that don't actually solve the problem at hand hurt a great deal, actually.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

CannonFodder posted:

Suicide rates, opioid overdoses, and deaths from alcoholism (cirrhosis et al) are all on the rise. The US is depressed and killing itself quickly or slowly.

Yeah and they are all inter-related. Loss of hope/helplessness leads to depression, leads to addiction, leads to overdose or suicide.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Majorian posted:

The media's priorities are:

1. Fat stacks.
2. Get invited to fancy parties
3. FAT STACKS

They are 100% where they wanna be.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

i would like going to Asheville a lot more if my wife didn't insist on going to Biltmore every time.
We did that once, the first time we were there. It was really neat, but we don't need to do that ever again.

Nowadays we found a B&B that we love and can afford. We head around to all the amazing places to eat and drink, spend a few hours at the Well Played board game cafe, she goes shopping in her favorite yarn store, and we check out the art and relax for a few days in the mountains.

I wish we could afford to go there more, but like I said - it's literally our one vacation, and we can only afford it because my parents live right over the mountains in TN so we have someone to watch our kids.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Katt posted:

We have free healthcare and in his last month of life he laid a new floor over at his girlfriends apartment and I suspect he bought it too :v:

Sounds like a better use of money than hoarding it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Actually I think "media" (whatever that is) is a both sides trainwreck that plays important politics like a horse race. I'm just curious how he and every other self righteous person knows the report completely validates what Barr has stated being that only Barr has apparently seen it

Eh, but here's the thing - I actually agree with you that there's probably some damning stuff in the report. Maybe not about Russian collusion, but who knows, besides Barr? But the media narrative has already been decided, at least for now. The MSNBC crowd that put all its chips on the Mueller investigation lost big, at least on this round. They may win it back, depending on what comes out of the report (if anything), but for now they're in a hole that they've dug themselves. They need to admit it, and start covering poo poo that actually motivates voters, if they want to be part of the solution and not just keep contributing to a distraction.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

PhazonLink posted:

Going by another thread, Dick Dawkins also recently watched Arrival and was amazed by it or something.

LOL at big brain stem lord thinking discovering non grade school level story telling stuff.

Well, glad to find at least someone else who thought Arrival was terrible.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He tried to get Rebecca Watson to come back to his room at a skeptics conference when they were alone in an elevator, when she talked about it he got her blacklisted from any convention he was appearing at, effectively kneecapping her career

Wow, what an absolute piece of poo poo!

We must hate muslims, because they are misogynist, by the way, submit to my weird sexual advances or I will destroy you.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

1glitch0 posted:

Well, glad to find at least someone else who thought Arrival was terrible.

It's a lovely remake of Contact with a worse actress in place of Jodie Foster.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The media's priorities are:

1. Fat stacks.
2. Get invited to fancy parties
3. FAT STACKS

They are 100% where they wanna be.

The executives certainly are, at least. Jeff Zucker and Les Moonves flat-out told us so in 2016. The fat stacks are going to keep getting slimmer and slimmer over the coming months and years, though, unless they start reporting on poo poo that people actually care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Nonsense "solutions" that don't actually solve the problem at hand hurt a great deal, actually.

Not really, this is individual states pushing the idea forward that we need a popular vote. We'd need 3/4 of states to ratify an amendment, and *that* will never happen. Getting a majority of EC states to have those laws is far more likely.