Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

A big flaming stink posted:

:chloe: denying that privilege for the dominant culture exists and indeed mocking the very idea that it could possibly exist :chloe:

some of yall sound like republicans

i sound like a republican most days and thats why the fam didn't invite me back to belfast one year

if the snp want my support theyre going to need to start glancing fiendishly at tories on holiday

e;

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Tales from delivering post on a rough housing estate: rounded a corner today towards a house that I hate delivering to, because there are three early-20's women who live there that like to harass me, and then swear at me when I don't rise to it. Today they saw me coming and came out, saying 'the postman's gay, the postman's gay!' I rolled my eyes and ignored them, but then after I'd delivered to the house next to theirs and started towards their house one of them had pulled up her top and bra (on a residential street at probably 11am) and was dancing around with her tits out, shouting 'Have you got a hard-on?' I walked past and tried my best to ignore them, and then they started calling me a loving oval office ('LOOK AT ME YOU oval office!') and their two little kids, probably three, were watching from the front door :(

I'm on this round for another week before I get moved, and I can't wait.

Video it and put it online.

(Or go to the plod, YMMV)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Random Integer posted:

Mate I've have had friends denied educational and employment opportunities because they were Irish. One friend was denied a Uni place in England because "you Irish arent really a literary people". Apparently Joyce and Yeats don't exist. Ive certainly experienced my fair share of casual racism in both England and Scotland because obviously Im just a "thick Oirish oval office" and a "terrorist loving Paddy". Im going to wildly guess an English person wouldnt have experienced the same.

Is this stuff less common now than in the past? Sure. As a white Irish person am I privileged compared to a BAME English person? Absolutely. Perceived race, gender, religion and economic class are all much more important factors. But it isnt exactly controversial to say both that "English" is a strongly held group identity and that in-group bias is a thing that exists. There are many dimensions to prejudice and privilege and, situationally, perceived Englishness is something that can come into play.

You uh do know where crispix is from right

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

man this thread is on one today

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

brian posted:

I mean I think we should live in a municipalist world but that wasn't my point at all, it was that there's literally no evidence or even logic to the idea that bigger countries will result in an easier transition to no countries existing, in fact the opposite
I think in this case the best options are fewer land borders, and more decentralization away from the South East.

Maybe there's none of the top 10 poorest communities in Scotland because devolution actually worked, in which case the solution sounds like more devolution for Wales, and an actual start at devolution for the North and Midlands.

If that leads to (or requires) a fracturing of the 'English' identity then so be it, I'm not sure that's a great loss.

I don't think that alone is going to end countries existing though.

Even leaving aside 'being a decent person', why would anyone be a oval office towards their postie? That's like being a oval office towards the kitchen staff at somewhere you go every day, it's going to come back on you.

wipe your rear end on their mail

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bardeh posted:

Tales from delivering post on a rough housing estate: rounded a corner today towards a house that I hate delivering to, because there are three early-20's women who live there that like to harass me, and then swear at me when I don't rise to it. Today they saw me coming and came out, saying 'the postman's gay, the postman's gay!' I rolled my eyes and ignored them, but then after I'd delivered to the house next to theirs and started towards their house one of them had pulled up her top and bra (on a residential street at probably 11am) and was dancing around with her tits out, shouting 'Have you got a hard-on?' I walked past and tried my best to ignore them, and then they started calling me a loving oval office ('LOOK AT ME YOU oval office!') and their two little kids, probably three, were watching from the front door :(

That's what sovereignty looks like friend

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

extremely well adjusted attitudes towards bosoms itt

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe this is how post people end up just not delivering the mail and with a huge pile of thousands of undelivered items in their house

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I think the replies are in the spirit of this tweet

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793?s=19

That's what I was going for anyway :ninja:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

Why, were her tits hosed up?

I tried my best not to look, because all of them were hosed up on some sort of drug and there was someone else in a car hanging about too. The mood wasn't lighthearted, it was pretty intimidating.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

marktheando posted:

Different types of privilege intersect!

Fully aware mate, but you do still have to show that each thing is a type of privilege. White privilege is something all white people enjoy even though it doesn't mean they're not oppressed in other ways; English privilege would be something all English people enjoy even though they're oppressed in other ways. I'm not saying that doesn't exist. I am saying that accent/dialect privilege isn't it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe they're running a post scam and they're setting you up with a motive for "losing" their deliveries

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Obliterati posted:

Or, as the joke goes, when the one o'clock gun goes off

They just think they're back in school

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bardeh posted:

I tried my best not to look, because all of them were hosed up on some sort of drug and there was someone else in a car hanging about too. The mood wasn't lighthearted, it was pretty intimidating.

You should probably look in case you need to pick them out of a titty lineup or point them out in court

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hentai Jihadist posted:

They're goons OP

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JFairfax posted:

They're goons OP

Weird euphemism for tits imo

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Maybe this is how post people end up just not delivering the mail and with a huge pile of thousands of undelivered items in their house

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bardeh posted:

You need one of those police cameras pinned to your shirt or a dashcam mounted to your postman hat.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

i am harry posted:

You need one of those police cameras pinned to your shirt or a dashcam mounted to your postman hat.

Then twitchstream it and monetise?

E: gently caress if I was underrmployed I'd probably watch a postman route livestream

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

feedmegin posted:

You uh do know where crispix is from right

Nope and it doesnt matter. They asked for an explanation as to how being English could benefit someone and I gave examples and extrapolated from it. How that jives with their personal experience is kinda irrelevant.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

sounds poo poo and a really unpleasant experience but i'm not gonna join in with this ostensibly bolshie thread's prevailing opinions that A) you should be into it, or B) that you should call the cops(only trust your fists, police will never help you), and i'm gonna instead go for C) next time, just look where you're telt and say something either really cheeky or sound like you're hugely unimpressed

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Random Integer posted:

Mate I've have had friends denied educational and employment opportunities because they were Irish. One friend was denied a Uni place in England because "you Irish arent really a literary people". Apparently Joyce and Yeats don't exist. Ive certainly experienced my fair share of casual racism in both England and Scotland because obviously Im just a "thick Oirish oval office" and a "terrorist loving Paddy". Im going to wildly guess an English person wouldnt have experienced the same.

Is this stuff less common now than in the past? Sure. As a white Irish person am I privileged compared to a BAME English person? Absolutely. Perceived race, gender, religion and economic class are all much more important factors. But it isnt exactly controversial to say both that "English" is a strongly held group identity and that in-group bias is a thing that exists. There are many dimensions to prejudice and privilege and, situationally, perceived Englishness is something that can come into play.

I don't disagree with a single thing you have posted. The assertion that I took issue with was not that people from any particular place have a social advantage in that particular place.

edit: just to be clear I don't agree that Irish people are illiterate :/

crispix fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 28, 2019

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Guavanaut posted:

I think in this case the best options are fewer land borders, and more decentralization away from the South East.

Maybe there's none of the top 10 poorest communities in Scotland because devolution actually worked, in which case the solution sounds like more devolution for Wales, and an actual start at devolution for the North and Midlands.

If that leads to (or requires) a fracturing of the 'English' identity then so be it, I'm not sure that's a great loss.

I don't think that alone is going to end countries existing though.

decentralisation and devolution are stupid concepts made by nationalists to defend their system of working and never result in distribution of actual power except in the few cases where those areas have military or economic threat towards the rest of the country

groups of increasingly small countries work better in the current capitalist system of hell in terms of creating organisations and agreements that don't intentionally gently caress each other over as much (due to the distribution of power and resources) and that's in a system that is resolutely engineered to make them irrelevant, big countries on the other hand have a huge vested interest in the status quo and systems that support that (e.g. capitalism and ethnic nationalism)

and this entirely misses the point of why areas want to nationalise which is almost always to do with increasing representation in the modern era, ethnic nationalism in separatist areas hasn't been the main driver of support since at least the 70s in the west

brian fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 28, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: gently caress if I was underrmployed I'd probably watch a postman route livestream

It's a decent job most of the time, and most people are really friendly and happy to see you when you arrive with whatever tat they've ordered off wish.com

It's just a couple of streets where the wronguns (and their horrible loving dogs) are concentrated

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TomViolence posted:

sounds poo poo and a really unpleasant experience but i'm not gonna join in with this ostensibly bolshie thread's prevailing opinions that A) you should be into it, or B) that you should call the cops(only trust your fists, police will never help you), and i'm gonna instead go for C) next time, just look where you're telt and say something either really cheeky or sound like you're hugely unimpressed

ehhh if people are trying to bully you you're not gonna win them over

I'd just go with "mate can you just not?" and if they're still out to harrass you there's not a lot you can do about it, not really worth it if you're outta there in a week (but definitely report it, someone else is gonna be on that round)

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

baka kaba posted:

ehhh if people are trying to bully you you're not gonna win them over

I'd just go with "mate can you just not?" and if they're still out to harrass you there's not a lot you can do about it, not really worth it if you're outta there in a week (but definitely report it, someone else is gonna be on that round)

whoah whoah who said anything about winning them over

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

I don't disagree with a single thing you have posted. The assertion that I took issue with was not that people from any particular place have a social advantage in that particular place.

Yeah, exactly - that's not usually what's defined as privilege. Scots don't have Scottish privilege because no one's going round calling them sassenachs or whatever. That's more common or garden racism. Watching someone Irishsplain 'Irish people are terrorists' prejudice to someone from frigging Ulster was quite something though :shobon:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TomViolence posted:

well if you're gonna do what they tell you then they're gonna ramp it up!
and I thought you meant be cheeky so they think you're all right, if you meant "start a fight" then that's different

although Bardeh's probably got a ripped postie bod by now, all swinging the bag around like a flail shouting COME ON THEN

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Seems like we're soon to have an election, what?

Hope the country has a memory of the last ten years of failure. Wouldn't bet on it though.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

TomViolence posted:

Some sort of cheeky comment would have only escalated things, and like gently caress I wanna deal with bare-titted aggro lady squaring up to me (which is exactly what would have happened).

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Hilarious answers aside, if they're obviously hosed up on drugs while in charge of their toddler-age kids it might be worth a call to Social Services or the NSPCC helpline. If you're out of there in a week you're ideally placed to avoid any reprisals if they end up getting a child welfare visit.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Bardeh I'm sorry that happened to you. It's hard to know what to do when you get ganged up on and you know they will corroborate each other regardless of what you actually do. You get lovely and they back each other in, you ignore and they egg each other on.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
You know how no deal is bad? Well, it's worse:
https://twitter.com/BenChu_/status/1111337808734621697
https://twitter.com/BenChu_/status/1111338257755893760

Strong and Stable.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1110647386064379904

The original (CPGB-ML) article was apparently posted by Linehan as some 'gotcha' from the 'left'. None too smart that lad.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I laughed at that Simpsons Gif but that seriously sounds like dogshit Bardeh, hope your next round is better.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

TomViolence posted:

creating a hierarchy of privilege among the home nations is something only those from the home nations and the broader anglosphere can really indulge in, cos to everybody else in the world it's like trying to nose the difference between the varying flavours of poo poo they've had forced down their collective throats for sometimes hundreds of years

It's like Mogg calling out somebody for going to a "worse" private school than he did in the HoC.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

tritsch posted:

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1110647386064379904

The original (CPGB-ML) article was apparently posted by Linehan as some 'gotcha' from the 'left'. None too smart that lad.

I'm man with small left arm.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Bardeh posted:

Some sort of cheeky comment would have only escalated things, and like gently caress I wanna deal with bare-titted aggro lady squaring up to me (which is exactly what would have happened).

Yeah that sounds tough. I've a solution though: To avoid having to deliver mail to them, stick it all in an envelope and post it to their address. Problem solved.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

brian posted:

decentralisation and devolution are stupid concepts made by nationalists to defend their system of working and never result in distribution of actual power except in the few cases where those areas have military or economic threat towards the rest of the country
Nationalists (whether civic, ethnic, romantic, or otherwise) usually want a strong centralized state with everything in black and white (sometimes literally) and no federalism. It's like the fascist style of concrete thinking.

Or that article crying about gender fluidity ruining their nice categories.

brian posted:

groups of increasingly small countries work better in the current capitalist system of hell in terms of creating organisations and agreements that don't intentionally gently caress each other over as much (due to the distribution of power and resources) and that's in a system that is resolutely engineered to make them irrelevant, big countries on the other hand have a huge vested interest in the status quo and systems that support that (e.g. capitalism and ethnic nationalism)
How do they avoid becoming banana republics for multinational capitalism?

brian posted:

and this entirely misses the point of why areas want to nationalise which is almost always to do with increasing representation in the modern era, ethnic nationalism in separatist areas hasn't been the main driver of support since at least the 70s in the west
Looks like the North and Midlands could benefit from some of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

I'm the man whose legs have been flayed.

AYEEEEEEE