Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
What happened? Lightning hit the transmitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Nah, the earliest seasons were the peak of The Simpsons’ popularity.

It was an enormous hit right out of the gate, but then their audience shrank to basically kids and teens.

At least some of that ratings decline is also going to track right in line with the decline of network TV ratings in general. But the general shittiness of the show certainly hasn't helped its ratings.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Pawg From Produce posted:

That post-9/11 bump.

That was probably people who were trying to perform extreme normality after a national tragedy. And watching The Simpson's on Sunday as a family had become a reference point for acting normal.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
season 5 is also around the time they went into syndication

I don't think I ever watched The Simpsons on Sundays, I always caught it in reruns
UPN weekdays at 6:00 and 6:30 (7:30 central) :goleft:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

It was an enormous hit right out of the gate, but then their audience shrank to basically kids and teens.

At least some of that ratings decline is also going to track right in line with the decline of network TV ratings in general. But the general shittiness of the show certainly hasn't helped its ratings.

What's fascinating is that after the 9/11 bump it took 7 seasons to get back down to it's previous low point. It was on track to crater by then, this is how the terrorists won.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

What's fascinating is that after the 9/11 bump it took 7 seasons to get back down to it's previous low point. It was on track to crater by then, this is how the terrorists won.

Yeah, Seasons 10 and 11 almost killed the show. And then Al Jean steered into the skid somehow.

I feel like now, though, the legacy of the golden age is untarnished by the never-ending Al Jean era. Like, the show benefits from being a shambling trash fire for so long because it emphasizes the stark difference between the eras.

I'm extremely interested to see what happens when Disney shitcans Al Jean. I think my favorite idea to revitalize the show is to age the characters up, and it would be a good way to get people to tune in for the new showrunner's vision.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Age them up in real time so Bart is 40

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
even Season 12 had HOMR and Trilogy of Error

as soon as Al Jean came back as showrunner they somehow managed to have a bad Treehouse of Horror
and then the next good joke was in season 16

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
On the subject of overly quoted lines I still use "I'm seein' double-FOUR (thing)'s!" To this day.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

marktheando posted:

Nah, the earliest seasons were the peak of The Simpsons’ popularity.

Lol Jesus from blockbuster numbers to YouTube numbers. What a shame

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Marge becomes worried after Bart is inspired to do pranks by MyTube star Boogie Pie. After she takes away his electronic devices he plots a revolt with his fellow screen blocked kids. Meanwhile, Lisa nags Homer about something, who cares.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Homer gets a job driving for hUber. Bart convinces Milhouse to eat a Mide Pod and he dies. Guest starring Howie Mandel for some reason.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Moe-Moe challenge hits Springfield! Something or other plot device, Moe is ugly. Ashley Simpson (previously canonized as a relative, and the sister of "Cousin Jessica") guests to return his cell phone from the episode where 'Moe gets a cell phone' was a thing.

It turns out channel 6 of whatever made it up for ratings on their streaming channel counterpart.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Disco Stu's cousin, EDM Stu

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Bart eats a hot dog and homer does a flip

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NiceGuy posted:

What happened? Lightning hit the transmitter?

See, that what I thought at first, but then... HEY, SHUT UP!

God, old school Krusty was amazing.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The highest-rated episode in absolute viewers is Bart Gets An F. That's pretty wild.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Back to quoting lines in real situations, "Gee, the fun never stops at the Flanders' house, does it" is another line I'll shoot off when it's even remotely applicable.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Laterite posted:

The highest-rated episode in absolute viewers is Bart Gets An F. That's pretty wild.
that's probably due to the high quality of the previous episode, which I preserved the memory of in a tattoo

*rolls up sleeve* "Some Enchanted Evening"!?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Laterite posted:

Wow that's the season 2 opener? I always thought that was like season 3 or 4.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

super sweet best pal posted:

The bowling alley scene's jokes were great but everything after was a huge drop in quality. "I'm not the original Teller" did get a laugh from me.

There’s still some good stuff in season 11 but I really think that’s when the permanent drop really happened. Season 9 is good and 10 is mostly good imo.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

mmm, urinal fresh is one I use when cleaning the toilet or when being real classy, after brushing my teeth.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The episode when Homer goes into space is closer to the first moon landing than the present day. lol

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
me & hubby have a good quote off whenever we feed cat (bergamot) we say "do not have cow" but then pray because of vulgarity

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
every day I implore the people on the bus to do the bartman, but alas they never do

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

every day I implore the people on the bus to do the bartman, but alas they never do

that song is being removed from all future printings of the CD because it mentions Michael Jackson

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

homeless guy posted:

that song is being removed from all future printings of the CD because it mentions Michael Jackson

lol

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Sure it's not 1990 right now but who knows what tomorrow may bring

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

spaceblancmange posted:

The episode when Homer goes into space is closer to the first moon landing than the present day. lol

Speaking of quoting things, I still yell 'THEY'LL CLOG THE INSTRUMENTS' and 'Careful! They're ruffled!' when people eat lunch at their desks.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Anytime anything breaks and needs to be replaced in our house, I will say that we'll get one 'with an un-twistable stomach' while making the appropriate hand-movements.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Why is classic Simpsons so much more quotable than almost all other shows for everyday situations? Is it because we watched it in syndication for years, or because its just that well written, or both?

Like, I like Bob's Burgers, and it's full of quirky dialogue and there are now nine seasons of it. But I can't conjure up a single quote from it, only generic things the characters might say. Also, The Office - it has a bunch of famous lines but most of them don't work for everyday use.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I still use cromulent more than I should

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Quoting shows only works when you can expect others to actually get the quotes. I've tried to drop the "New York is the world's greatest city to live in for six months and not a second longer" line from Bojack Horseman whenever someone I know is going to stay in New York for six months, and even though it's appropriate weirdly often it falls flat because nobody gets that it's a reference. The Simpsons are quotable because people quote them, which leads into a positive feedback loop.

Mantis42 posted:

Marge becomes worried after Bart is inspired to do pranks by MyTube star Boogie Pie. After she takes away his electronic devices he plots a revolt with his fellow screen blocked kids. Meanwhile, Lisa nags Homer about something, who cares.

I know that this and all the following posts are fake synopses because they reference things that happened less than seven years ago.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whenever I want to say something is bullshit but not in a serious way, “that’s a load of rich creamery butter”

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Quoting shows only works when you can expect others to actually get the quotes. I've tried to drop the "New York is the world's greatest city to live in for six months and not a second longer" line from Bojack Horseman whenever someone I know is going to stay in New York for six months, and even though it's appropriate weirdly often it falls flat because nobody gets that it's a reference. The Simpsons are quotable because people quote them, which leads into a positive feedback loop.

Yeah, I think it's basically what you said. We forget how little really was on TV up until the late 90's. You can look it up on Wikipedia, but it really is shocking how much of prime time was taken up by showing movies or sports.

Back then it was really a lot more likely that you'd watch the same thing as someone else you knew, because we really didn't have an easy way to watch it otherwise.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is this the part where this turns into the tviv thread with people just repeating Simpsons lines and claiming how waAaAacky~ they are for quoting it in every day mundane situations to fill the void that is their personalities?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Is this the part where this turns into the tviv thread with people just repeating Simpsons lines and claiming how waAaAacky~ they are for quoting it in every day mundane situations to fill the void that is their personalities?

if it is, does that mean you'll leave the thread?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Calaveron posted:

Put a sock in it, Roy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I use Simpsons quotes as a generational measurement tool. If I don't recognize your quotes, you're younger than me and I don't need to know you.

If you don't recognize mine, you were raised poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Calaveron posted:

https://youtu.be/IkQ5oARNxLU