Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I hope David Montgomery’s slow 40 drops him into the 3rd round or so and the Chiefs pick him up

This would make my entire draft experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Play posted:

He might be better with a strong ILB behind him who can clean up if he penetrates himself out of the play. Most of the time that penetration will cause way more problems for the opponent than for him, though. So yeah, not that complicated just set that beast loose imo

Yeah, he's not a run-stopper. You're either asking him to play 3-tech or 5-tech and shoot a gap or maaaybe like a 4i where he can just demolish the guy in front of him. You either want a bigger nose next to him that clogs or an ILB that gets off blocks fast enough to sweep, but he'd be a monster in either an aggressive 4-3 or even like a 3-4 that runs 52 variants that he can move from gap to gap and flush guys into the edge defenders.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

kiimo posted:

This would make my entire draft experience.

I was reading his draft profile and got to the bottom and it said his pro comp is Kareem Hunt

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He's a better receiver and probably somehow, impossibly, has even better balance

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Doltos posted:

Some people still care about sacks and he didn't get a lot of them considering how gifted he is at getting into the backfield.
Oh so like another Leonard Williams.

https://twitter.com/Michael_Nania/status/1111014012681179136

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

TheGreyGhost posted:

Yeah, he's not a run-stopper. You're either asking him to play 3-tech or 5-tech and shoot a gap or maaaybe like a 4i where he can just demolish the guy in front of him. You either want a bigger nose next to him that clogs or an ILB that gets off blocks fast enough to sweep, but he'd be a monster in either an aggressive 4-3 or even like a 3-4 that runs 52 variants that he can move from gap to gap and flush guys into the edge defenders.

Can you explain what “3-tech” and “5-tech” mean? Thanks in advance!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

NickRoweFillea posted:

It's where the dlinemen lines up.

3T is between guard and tackle
5T is between tackle and te

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Play posted:

He might be better with a strong ILB behind him who can clean up if he penetrates himself out of the play. Most of the time that penetration will cause way more problems for the opponent than for him, though. So yeah, not that complicated just set that beast loose imo

That's what the Titans did years back when they couldn't trust Albert Haynesworth to play with any sort of gap integrity. Jim Schwartz basically just had Keith Bulluck use Haynesworth as a key rather than anything the guard or tackle in front of him were doing.

IMO I don't think it's quite that severe with Oliver. Just don't ask him to spill or 2-gap.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NickRoweFillea posted:

In addition to what WAC said here's a chart. Gaps are listed on top, the techs are underneath. It's basically where you're having a DL guy line up, either heads up on a lineman, on an inside or outside shoulder, etc.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

weird Asian candy posted:

It's where the dlinemen lines up.

3T is between guard and tackle
5T is between tackle and te

I thought 3 was the guard's inside shoulder and 5 was guard's outside shoulder

e: drat idk how I got so mixed up

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Football terminology is incredibly stupid, and they use the term "technique" to describe where a down linemen is lined up.

Even numbers(0, 2, 4, 6,) are heads-up over opposing blockers, starting with the Center over 0(the classic Nose Tackle look). Odd numbers are shades, where a linemen lines up half over the outside edge of a blocker and half in a gap. Numbers with "i", such as a 2i or 4i are lined up on the inside edge of a defender. Also, for some reason most sources don't call anyone a 6i, and instead put a 7-technique inside of a 6-technique because again football terminology is really stupid.

Generally speaking, there are vague profiles of what kind of player can play what technique based on the kind of blocks they're likely to encounter.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Grittybeard posted:

In addition to what WAC said here's a chart. Gaps are listed on top, the techs are underneath. It's basically where you're having a DL guy line up, either heads up on a lineman, on an inside or outside shoulder, etc.

Yea, here is good write up on the positions and the player example for each one.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-defensive-line-techniques-the-2017-prototypes

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Football terminology is incredibly stupid, and they use the term "technique" to describe where a down linemen is lined up.

Even numbers(0, 2, 4, 6,) are heads-up over opposing blockers, starting with the Center over 0(the classic Nose Tackle look). Odd numbers are shades, where a linemen lines up half over the outside edge of a blocker and half in a gap. Numbers with "i", such as a 2i or 4i are lined up on the inside edge of a defender. Also, for some reason most sources don't call anyone a 6i, and instead put a 7-technique inside of a 6-technique because again football terminology is really stupid.

Generally speaking, there are vague profiles of what kind of player can play what technique based on the kind of blocks they're likely to encounter.

Good poo poo!

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I don't think Oliver is really all that complicated. Put him as a 3-technique and don't ask him to play more conservative techniques in the run game.

There are plenty of teams in the top 10 that can accommodate that schematically.
I think Bruce Arians will figure out a way to let him do nothing but rush the passer.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

It's also worth mentioning that "techniques" also applies to linebackers, you just add a 0 at the end- ie a MLB lined up heads up over the Center would be a "00", over the Guards outside shoulder a "30", etc. If a linebacker is on the LOS, they get numbered like a defensive linemen.

weird Asian candy posted:

Good poo poo!

Thanks!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Wow I never realized the technique terminology was that loving stupid

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What about Linebackers? WILL, MIKE, SAM, JACK.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

You don't draft Ed Oliver to play 0 tech, and yet some dumbass team will prob do that and wonder why he sucks

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Weak, middle, strong? Sort of makes sense, it's easier to shout those words on the field.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

I've also heard Bandit for Will and Joker for Jack, if you want to name your LBs like fighter pilots.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Most football terminology is insanely stupid and really poorly thought-out. The biggest cause is probably that it's a massive hodgepodge of different systems that have been added onto each other in succession. I had a mini freak out the other day in the NFC North thread because you can call an off-ball linebacker and an on-ball pass rusher the same thing (OLB) when the positions are actually really really different. A DE in a 3-4 is pretty different from a DE in a 4-3 too. So in different schemes two different positions are called by the same name, which is confusing. Even more confusing when you don't know which scheme they're referring to.

Compared to all that the technique system isn't that bad. You can basically just simplify into 7-5-tech = outside pass rusher, 3-tech is gonna be your defensive tackles and anything lower than 3 is gonna be the big guy in the middle. Whether they line up directly across or slightly offset is less important, and a lot of folks will call a D tackle a 3 tech regardless of where exactly they're lining up

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You don't draft Ed Oliver to play 0 tech, and yet some dumbass team will prob do that and wonder why he sucks

How do you feel about DE in a 4-3

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

wandler20 posted:

I think everyone has their own version of that, there are loads.

Usually the first letter of the name corresponds with the alignment(Strongside = SAM), and some teams(Belichick, Saban) have the substitutes for those players follow the convention(SAM linebacker -> Star(*) DB, Mike linebacker -> Money($) DB), etc. But then it goes crazy when you're adding a 4th linebacker- sometimes they put a second "M" name for the other ILB(like Mac), or they just call the other ILB "Will" and break convention for the weakside OLB(Buck, Jack, Whip, Leo, Elephant, etc)

You've got a hundred plus years of gym coaches gradually adding and subtracting from a set of terminologies describing a pretty complex set of systems and concepts, it's all poo poo really

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 28, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

How do you feel about DE in a 4-3

That's an interesting question and I keep going back and forth on it. Basically yes, I think he could do it although I don't think it's the best place for him necessarily. The interior is where he makes his hay so moving him to the edge, even in a 4-3, would be risky but could pay off. You'd worry about edge contain on run plays a little bit, but he's a great athlete and players get better at things all the time. Also, the question of how well he can rush a passer around the edge would have to be raised. Overall DE in a 3-4 would make a lot more sense

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think everyone has their own version of that, there are loads.

Usually the first letter of the name corresponds with the alignment(Strongside = SAM), and some teams(Belichick, Saban) have the substitutes for those players follow the convention(SAM linebacker -> Star(*) DB, Mike linebacker -> Money($) DB), etc. But then it goes crazy when you're adding a 4th linebacker- sometimes they put a second "M" name for the other ILB(like Mac), or they just call the other ILB "Will" and break convention for the weakside OLB(Buck, Jack, Whip, Leo, Elephant, etc)

You've got a hundred plus years of gym coaches gradually adding and subtracting from a set of terminologies describing a pretty complex set of systems and concepts, it's all poo poo really

lmao this is a great example of how hosed it all is. I'm totally lost and I actually understand a lot of this stuff

Play fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 28, 2019

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Chris Jones and Ed Oliver would be a fun duo of gap shooting IDL

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Chris Jones and Ed Oliver would be a fun duo of gap shooting IDL
They would get sacks on first, 2nd down than give up a 30 yard run on 3rd&20.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Anthony The Hitman Hitchens will clean up any run plays

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

God I hope the new scheme improves Hitchens.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I remember like Week 2 or something he had an incredible TFL where he knifed through the line like prime Derrick Johnson and I got up and said “that’s Anthony the Hitman Hitchens baby” and the the rest of the season happened

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Anthony The Hitman Hitchens will clean up any run plays
Relying on Hitchens for that role again sounds horrible.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Oliver confirmed #1 pick

https://twitter.com/Edoliver_11/status/1111661400164847616?s=19

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1111797316980219905

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I've got the vertical of a pro athlete.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I've got the vertical of a pro athlete.

2 dudes that probably have brain damage

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hifi posted:

2 dudes that probably have brain damage

Look at the hoity toity badminton player, sneering down his nose at everyone who played poor people sports.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

I got the horses in the back

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/azbobbymac/status/1112526513532891136

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
No offensive player is a top 10 prospect, probably not even the OTs either. Cardinals would be wise to stick to Quinnen or Nick.

Oh wait Hockenson and Jawaan. Well Hockenson might be worth it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

No offensive player is a top 10 prospect, probably not even the OTs either. Cardinals would be wise to stick to Quinnen or Nick.

But I need one or two of these teams to be dumb and desperate to push one of those elite guys down to Tampa at 5. I'm trying to find a scenario where Williams falls to Tampa but I just don't see it happening.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Kyler to Oakland.

https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/1112750559671390208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

Doesn't really matter. The top O linemen will still get pushed up the board (just like last year, another year with mediocre options beyond Quenton), as will the top few quarterbacks. A sprinkling of WRs, RBs and TEs. When all is said and done there will be plenty of offensive players drafted in the first round.

This could end up being a seriously remarkable turnaround for the Raiders. Already they look like twice the team they were last year and they still have a huge haul of draft picks to dispense.