Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

There’s no honor in killing prisoners so I find it highly unlikely.

This is entirely culture dependent, ask the Japanese!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

my kinda ape posted:

This is entirely culture dependent, ask the Japanese!

The conversation is about Gurkhas specifically.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

The conversation is about Gurkhas specifically.

Are you familiar with Nepalese culture? Not being an rear end I have zero clue how they feel about killing prisoners.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

Unless you arm the prisoner and tell them they can go if they win.

I think that's still being done in a couple of Thai prisons

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

my kinda ape posted:

Are you familiar with Nepalese culture? Not being an rear end I have zero clue how they feel about killing prisoners.

They are professional mercenaries bound by the Geneva convention. I’ve got a book on them in my collection and at no point in modern history was there any stories about killing prisoners or even abusing them. It’s not good business.

They kill the gently caress outa you on the battlefield though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, I don't buy the Gurkha waxing EPW for fun. They seem to have an inherent code of honor, and serving as A Gurkha is such a high honor (they took less 1k a year when the military was larger) that men who don't make it often kill themselves, and they want to uphold the traditions.
Which leads to things like that Gurkha in AFG who didn't understand why he was under investigation for bring back proof of an enemy HVT. I mean, he brought back the head and a hand (he apologized for leaving the other when they pulled out under fire). They said they needed biometric proof. He ended up getting cleared with the final result of 'Maybe be a little more specific when giving directions to efficient little ninja'.
There history was cool too. IIRC the doc said that the Gurkha were never defeated on the battlefield, and felt that these white dudes fought with distinction, so they offered a 150+ year mercenary contract to the Brits.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

Which leads to things like that Gurkha in AFG who didn't understand why he was under investigation for bring back proof of an enemy HVT. I mean, he brought back the head and a hand (he apologized for leaving the other when they pulled out under fire). They said they needed biometric proof. He ended up getting cleared with the final result of 'Maybe be a little more specific when giving directions to efficient little ninja'.
This is the ghurka'est loving story JFC

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

evil_bunnY posted:

This is the ghurka'est loving story JFC

"Hey guys, here's the proof."

"What the gently caress is wrong with you!?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't have time to cut off the other hand. I'll do better next time."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ganju Lama is the funniest of the bunch, the guy wasn't even ethnic Gurung/Ghurka. Whatever's in the water is loving potent.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The Argentines have a huge victim complex about the Falklands and there’s a bunch of racist depictions of the Gurkhas as savages during the war even though... no Gurkhas actually participated in the war. They didn’t get there in time the conflict was over though they were en route. That story is pure propaganda from the nationalist regime so they could feel sorry for themselves.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The Argentine victim complex extends so far that they view the sinking of the cruiser General Belgrano as a war crime.

Except for their navy. The Argentine Navy has always said "what? No, that was absolutely a legitimate sinking. The General Belgrano was engaged in an offensive operation when she was torpedoed, it was legit."

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://youtu.be/LIZ91FKh0jc

13:41 for a depiction of Gurkhas as giant weird looking monsters that get punched out by Argentine infantry (lmao)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://youtu.be/LIZ91FKh0jc

13:41 for a depiction of Gurkhas as giant weird looking monsters that get punched out by Argentine infantry (lmao)

Holy poo poo that Gurkha.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

McNally posted:

The Argentine victim complex extends so far that they view the sinking of the cruiser General Belgrano as a war crime.

Except for their navy. The Argentine Navy has always said "what? No, that was absolutely a legitimate sinking. The General Belgrano was engaged in an offensive operation when she was torpedoed, it was legit."

Why does this not surprise me :v:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I have a good Argentine friend who served in their army and he is still pissy about the Falklands. He always starts by reminding me it's Las Malvinas!

I remind him he was 12 when it happened. He just says gently caress the British and we move on.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I love me some propaganda in the morning. That video is hilarious.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My boss is Spanish and has this bizarre hate boner for the British that seems to ignore Spain's own history as a lovely colonial power. The Falkslands were uninhabited when the British took them, and the current population wants it to stay that way, especially after the war. So it's a pretty clear cut case of self determination.

He also got mad at me for agreeing that the Columbus statue in St. Paul should probably go away. Columbus though working for the Spanish Crown, was actually Italian.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Worth noting that Dipprasad Pun's grandpa is this motherfucker, Tul Bahadur Pun :black101:
Also noted for the Tory’est thing ever, being denied residency after earning a VC

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

evil_bunnY posted:

Also noted for the Tory’est thing ever, being denied residency after earning a VC

JFC

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The Argentines have a huge victim complex about the Falklands and there’s a bunch of racist depictions of the Gurkhas as savages during the war even though... no Gurkhas actually participated in the war. They didn’t get there in time the conflict was over though they were en route. That story is pure propaganda from the nationalist regime so they could feel sorry for themselves.

Oh lmao I figured that story was from like 1840 or something, not the Falklands War. Yeah they're super butt hurt and if that had happened in the 80s it'd almost certainly have been documented.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Right chap, we can’t be having brownies good at the ol’ ultra violence wandering the countryside.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I dated an Argentinian girl in college. Her mom did a terrible British accent all the time, and somehow (I don't remember the conversation) my opinion of her performance came up.

Her defense was that's it's not her fault since she didn't even like the British since they "invaded Argentina to steal the Malvinas."

Which, I guess, is fair, but never explained why she constantly attempted her "really good" British accent.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Like I guess there are some idiots in this story but I don’t have any idea what to qualify it as other than WTF. The Spanish launch an aircraft, pretty sure it was a c-130 and shortly after take off some part of it catches on fire and they rightly freak out and call back to the tower that hey the aircraft is on fire we are bringing this thing back down be ready. Well since this was happening in Chad on a Chadian air base they get on the radio and essentially tell them to miss them with that landing their flaming plane on their runway bullshit and to gently caress off. They got stuck doing loops for about an hour before it burned itself out and they could land. I pointed and laughed a couple of times.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 27, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
the virgin pilot and the chad control tower

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
Command and Control is a really good book to read about policy.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Water777 posted:

Command and Control is a really good book to read about policy and get massively retroactively horrified.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VI5zDQJoN8

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Lemay was a terrifying psychopath. I'm currently up to Kennedy asking his generals "can we have just a little nuclear war? pretty please? Just a nibble" as everyone conveniently forgets all the bombs could accidentally go off at any moment

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

bulletsponge13 posted:

There history was cool too. IIRC the doc said that the Gurkha were never defeated on the battlefield, and felt that these white dudes fought with distinction, so they offered a 150+ year mercenary contract to the Brits.

Can you expound on this? Wiki just says the brits wanted them, so they hired them, which seems a lot less impressive.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Let’s go to the historical record for a minute, and watch where the Navy decided to imitate pirates while assaulting what was the most fortified place in the world at the time, Fort Fisher. This was also the largest amphibious assault in history, prior to the D-Day landings in Normandy.

quote:

The Union Army's original plan was for the naval force, armed with revolvers and cutlasses, to attack in three waves with the marines providing covering fire, but instead, the assault went forward in a single unorganized mass. General Whiting personally led the defense and routed the assault, with heavy casualties in the naval force.

To be fair, the Confederates weren’t playing with a full deck either.

quote:

Charging into the Union soldiers, Whiting received multiple demands to surrender, and when he refused he was shot down, severely wounded.

Whiting was the District Commander of Fort Fisher, but I think he took command of the fort when its actual commander (William Lamb) got injured in his own fit of idiocy. I’m not currently able to find it, but I remember seeing that story somewhere and thinking he was a gigantic moron. ~60 ships sitting offshore providing supporting fire can cover a lot of sins that the ground force may commit, and it was apparently enough for the US Army/Navy/Marines to seize the fort.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Fort_Fisher

e: Lamb got desperate and tried to lead the wounded in a charge; he got wounded in the process.

[Quote]
Lamb began gathering up every last soldier in the fort, including sick and wounded from the hospital, for a last-ditch counterattack. Just as he was about to order a charge, he fell severely wounded and was brought next to Whiting in the fort's hospital.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Tias posted:

Can you expound on this? Wiki just says the brits wanted them, so they hired them, which seems a lot less impressive.

I think it was covered here, but I don't recall. Ive read at least a half dozen books that cover the Gurkha fairly in depth, so I can't recall all my sources.
https://youtu.be/iL5tCVwKZFw

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The American civil war was a total clusterfuck. Using 50 year old tactics against pretty much modern weapons and basically just making it up as it went along.

There’s an account of a Prussian officer who came to observe and advise the Union and was horrified how far behind the US was and how much needless causalities both sides were taking since there was virtually no proper use of light infantry or calvary on top of the already poor leadership on all sides so battles would just drag on and on and turn into meat grinders.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Cenen posted:

Sticking toilet paper up their asses and lighting it on fire and burning the gently caress out of themselves.

The Royal Marines when I was in Diego Garcia were the most homoerotic group of guys I've ever had the misfortune of meeting. It wasn't uncommon for them to have 5-6 guys hanging out naked in a kiddie pool in front of their stables, occasionally trying to drag unfortunate sailors walking by into the pool with them. Their version of Gay Chicken encroached well into 'gay sex". I saw a dude literally lick his friend's penis at the bar "because he bet he wouldn't."

I did enjoy buying ten one-pound bags of holi powder my last weekend on the island and hitting the Brit Club. The bartender told me to keep it outside on the beach, but I handed whole bags to drunken Brits and let them gently caress up their own bar with it while the bartender glared at me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The American civil war was a total clusterfuck. Using 50 year old tactics against pretty much modern weapons and basically just making it up as it went along.

There’s an account of a Prussian officer who came to observe and advise the Union and was horrified how far behind the US was and how much needless causalities both sides were taking since there was virtually no proper use of light infantry or calvary on top of the already poor leadership on all sides so battles would just drag on and on and turn into meat grinders.

Quite a few of those observers were there because they knew they'd be in the same situation. Europe was very interested in the ACW.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Wild T posted:

I did enjoy buying ten one-pound bags of holi powder my last weekend on the island and hitting the Brit Club. The bartender told me to keep it outside on the beach, but I handed whole bags to drunken Brits and let them gently caress up their own bar with it while the bartender glared at me.

Ok I take it back the only thing the brits didn’t gently caress up was having a decent bar in Qatar. The only time they weren’t whiny asses was when they were drinking.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I mean, the funny thing was that the fighting only accounted for like 1/3 of the deaths from that war anyway. Most of the deaths were from disease due to lovely logistics (and germ theory not yet being a thing).

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

The last guy:
Ran out of ammo (shot off 400 rounds)
Threw 17 grenades
Actually got to use a claymore, and killed 2 insurgents with it
When all that failed, beat an insurgent to death with his rifle.

:stare:

I really like Gurkhas. On top of being tough bastards they're also some of the nicest, humblest, most generous soldiers you'll meet. You don't see much of the cockwaving and infantile poo poo that runs in the rest of the Army. We had them visit us now and then for exchange and I'd always be struck at how... kind they are :unsmith:

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

It was an eye-opening look at how bad policy works, not to mention the spiderweb of authority or percieved authority inhibits what we need to do for each other.

E: i'm the idiot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cenen posted:

Ok I take it back the only thing the brits didn’t gently caress up was having a decent bar in Qatar. The only time they weren’t whiny asses was when they were drinking.

Almost every favorite story about working with the Brits involve their bars or them having beer flown in.

Mine is about one of their expats yelling at an Emirati colonel in an exercise debrief to the point that the colonel sat the hell down and was actually not allowed to fly the rest of the exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

you make it sound like europe learned something from their observers