Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Gorgeous. That's black rice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yep.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Yes please!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Hit us with a recipe toplitzen, that looks like my jam, and others too it looks like.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/west-african-inspired-vegan-peanut-sweet-potato-soup-recipe.html

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
That sounds pretty nice. How important is the cilantro overall? Could it be omitted? I'm one of those weirdos for whom it tastes like soap. If it can't be I'll have to give it a pass, though it sounds like a dish my mother would totally love so I'd like to give it a go.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Resting Lich Face posted:

That sounds pretty nice. How important is the cilantro overall? Could it be omitted? I'm one of those weirdos for whom it tastes like soap. If it can't be I'll have to give it a pass, though it sounds like a dish my mother would totally love so I'd like to give it a go.

Without it the dish just had less cilantro flavour I would think. I'm sure you can omit it or sub in something like a bit of lemongrass.

You probably know this already but I think they found that liking/disliking cilantro is actually genetically informed so don't feel bad.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 28, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Resting Lich Face posted:

It's got a bit of flavor, but you can always go with Culantro. Similar flavor, but doesn't trigger the SoapGene.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

soba with tofu, mushrooms, chard and egg in turkey broth

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
It was my wife's birthday and she requested a steak and a side of whatever. Whatever turned into french onion soup. I used the serious eats recipe as I've made that one before and it always comes out great.

Pardon the messy stove. I was doing a lot of cooking this week!

Some onions and broth and some toasted bread is under this first layer of cheese

More soup on top of the cheese

More cheese on top of the soup

Broiled.

Soup!

Oh and I made her steak. 20 ounce strip about 1.5" thick. S&P, 129F sousvide.

Edit: Cross post from the smoking thread. I also smoked beef ribs the same day but those were vacuum sealed and frozen to eat at another time.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 29, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can I live with you and eat your food?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

atothesquiz posted:

It was my wife's birthday and she requested a steak and a side of whatever. Whatever turned into french onion soup. I used the serious eats recipe as I've made that one before and it always comes out great.

Pardon the messy stove. I was doing a lot of cooking this week!

Some onions and broth and some toasted bread is under this first layer of cheese

More soup on top of the cheese

More cheese on top of the soup

Broiled.

Soup!

Oh and I made her steak. 20 ounce strip about 1.5" thick. S&P, 129F sousvide.

Edit: Cross post from the smoking thread. I also smoked beef ribs the same day but those were vacuum sealed and frozen to eat at another time.

What he vac sealed and froze is better looking than anything I’ve eaten all week.

:argh:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Red snapper with a five spice rub on the skin, pea and tarragon puree, warm garlic beans underneath, and in the background, an amazing uni and cod roe paste. Pan bits turned into a dab of sauce with the addition of sherry vinegar, pomegranate balsamic and unsalted butter. Fits my calorie restrictions, and didn't take super long to prepare either, win win.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Am I the only one who (briefly) cools melts this way to keep it crispy?

Spinach artichoke melt + dilled potato and cucumber salad

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

nope, i do it with steaks too (really anything where you want a nice crust).

also gimme that potato salad.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My Oma's gurkensalat is killer and so is her kartoffelsalat, but that looks like the best of both worlds so gonna hafta "GIMME DAT RECIPE" please.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

Spinach artichoke melt

There is a local joint that does this melt but also has a fried green tomato with bacon. It's pretty loving good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/spinach-artichoke-grilled-cheese
https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/06/dilled-potato-and-pickled-cucumber-salad/

Both of them together took just under an hour, though you need to pickle the cukes the previous day.

sterster posted:

There is a local joint that does this melt but also has a fried green tomato with bacon. It's pretty loving good.

Well drat now I'm deffo doing bacon tomorrow, and we'll revisit this when green tomatoes are in season :hf:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Well drat now I'm deffo doing bacon tomorrow, and we'll revisit this when green tomatoes are in season :hf:

Jesus don't get me started, I'm dying for tomato season so I can get some that don't taste of sadness and mush.

I just want BLTs, man.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I just got back from a vacation and a you-pick-it farm had green tomatoes. We made some baller green salsa with them :fap:

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
i accidentally all the peppers and now i have weaponized curry

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Switzerland posted:

i accidentally all the peppers and now i have weaponized curry

Give me spicy curry or give me Arby's.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus don't get me started, I'm dying for tomato season so I can get some that don't taste of sadness and mush.

I just want BLTs, man.

It got down to 50 degrees today so I put the tomato in a gumbo!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Butter Paneer With Spinach

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Was traveling a bunch while my wife was away the past month so didn't really do much cooking, she got home and we're back to normal. Past few days have included:
Black garlic gnocchi
Roast chicken
Chicken noodle soup

Going to break out the staples a lot this week while they're fresh, lots of salmon and rice, in the lead up to the weather being good enough to get the grill out. I tend to make a single salad dressing that is garlic, shallot, red pepper, pepper, onion, balsamic, olive oil, and throw it over some spinach with walnut or pecan and diced apple or cranberry. I don't really feel like I have much creativity with salads despite very much enjoying them when out. Anyone have some go to weeknight salads?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone have some go to weeknight salads?

Bean Salad, no Biz

Baby Field Greens with Candied Pecans, Crumbled Goat Cheese, Balsamic Vinagrette

Watermelon, mint, feta salad (+cuke and or serrano)

Edit to add links.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 2, 2019

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I am VERY into that potato salad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Oh man, I wanna try this. I've been looking for good paneer recipes other than just doing saag paneer.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Nephzinho posted:

Going to break out the staples a lot this week while they're fresh, lots of salmon and rice, in the lead up to the weather being good enough to get the grill out. I tend to make a single salad dressing that is garlic, shallot, red pepper, pepper, onion, balsamic, olive oil, and throw it over some spinach with walnut or pecan and diced apple or cranberry. I don't really feel like I have much creativity with salads despite very much enjoying them when out. Anyone have some go to weeknight salads?

I like to think of salads in terms of being a formula rather than a recipe with elements of:

Leafy
Fresh / Juicy
Crunchy
Creamy
Strong-flavored

So for leafy that's your lettuces but also spinach.
For fresh/juicy that's any other vegetable served raw, like cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, or sometimes fruit, like strawberries or raspberries.
Crunchy can be vegetables, but I also like to add some croutons. Homemade croutons are great - get whatever fancy bread is in the day-old section of the grocery (or save the ends off homemade bread), tear/cut it into bite size cubes, toss them in a little oil and dried herbs, and bake until crunchy at 400 deg. If I don't have homemade croutons I leave them out rather than try to spear one of those dense little crumbs that is a storebought crouton.
Creamy is usually some kind of cheese (goat is my favorite). The dressing can also be the creamy element.
Strong-flavored can really be anything from olives to sun dried tomatoes to anchovies. Most of my salads are based on Italian flavor combos.

Finally, the final key is to really toss everything thoroughly. None of this "pile leafs on a plate and pour dressing over". I assemble my salads in a big Tupperware and really shake it up before serving. Getting the greens a little wilty is actually good.

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 3, 2019

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

I've been wanting to try this recipe for a while and your pic inspired me, it also looked kinda like ramen so I added noodles and some leftover pulled pork:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dr. Krieger posted:

I've been wanting to try this recipe for a while and your pic inspired me, it also looked kinda like ramen so I added noodles and some leftover pulled pork:

Pork, the most vegan meat.

Realtalk: looks good!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I made biscuits and gravy tonight!

No pic of the gravy because good sausage gravy looks like dog vomit but god drat was it good. This is the fourth or fifth time I've made biscuits. This time I followed Kenji's recipe and I'm really satisfied. No nonsense, came together very quickly.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Nice layers!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
thanks! I think they turned out better than any biscuits I've made before.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Double smash burger with local Sussex slipcote cheese, red onion chutney, tomato, streaky bacon and lettuce on a brioche.

I am now dead.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Raikiri posted:

Double smash burger with local Sussex slipcote cheese, red onion chutney, tomato, streaky bacon and lettuce on a brioche.

I am now dead.

poo poo!!!!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

First time making a mushroom risotto... or any risotto for that matter. Anyway it gets the thumbs up from the wife.

:thumbsup:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I had a roasted beet salad with arugula, Gorgonzola, walnuts, and pear that was really great.

Just remember that you ate beets, or else you’ll think you have major kidney problems when you go to the bathroom the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Democratic Pirate posted:

I had a roasted beet salad with arugula, Gorgonzola, walnuts, and pear that was really great.

Just remember that you ate beets, or else you’ll think you have major kidney problems when you go to the bathroom the next day.

I make that same salad all the time without beets.

Sometimes we add beets too. Really just commenting because it's my favorite go to fixed-recipe salad.