Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can I just take a moment to say that it’s really neat that we have an openly gay presidential candidate and his sexuality is like 3rd or 4th on the “did you know” list about him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can I just take a moment to say that it’s really neat that we have an openly gay presidential candidate and his sexuality is like 3rd or 4th on the “did you know” list about him?

tbf it's already implied by "attended Oxford"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Which one is "did you know how cool his dogs are"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FAUXTON posted:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

3, but only to avoid offending catwomen.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

tbf it's already implied by "attended Oxford"

Didn't know Billy Clinton swung both ways :heysexy:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It helps that him and his husband have the kind of relationship absolutely everybody wants in life and it's cute as gently caress.

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1111034433430278145?s=19

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is that the one with one eye?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FAUXTON posted:

Is that the one with one eye?

crenshaw's a secret racist

buttigieg woo momvotes with piano playing and language learning

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

crenshaw's a secret racist

buttigieg woo momvotes with piano playing and language learning

No I mean his dog.

One of their dogs has one eye.

E: it is not the one eyed dog -

https://twitter.com/firstdogsSB/status/1108182745673396224

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I really like him. I threw some money his way back when he needed enough donors to get on the debate stage.

D&D already hates him though because he said he's not a fan of Chelsea Manning and doesn't think she should have had her sentenced commuted. Not surprising considering he's an intel reservist.

IDK how much opinions changed around here, but I still stand by the belief that she just leaked poo poo without considering what she was leaking because she was pissed off about her command and she's not the noble Daniel Ellsberg type leaker people make her out to be. Doesn't mean I think the way she was treated in custody was okay, but she still sucks and so long as a pol doesn't misgender her or start talking about how she needs to be given a death sentence, idgaf.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I really like him. I threw some money his way back when he needed enough donors to get on the debate stage.

D&D already hates him though because he said he's not a fan of Chelsea Manning and doesn't think she should have had her sentenced commuted. Not surprising considering he's an intel reservist.

IDK how much opinions changed around here, but I still stand by the belief that she just leaked poo poo without considering what she was leaking because she was pissed off about her command and she's not the noble Daniel Ellsberg type leaker people make her out to be. Doesn't mean I think the way she was treated in custody was okay, but she still sucks and so long as a pol doesn't misgender her or start talking about how she needs to be given a death sentence, idgaf.

I feel the same way about her. I think she was victimized and manipulated by Julian Assange, and then significantly mistreated by the US government. She should have probably never been allowed access to classified information, but that said, I’m glad she was released from prison and hope that she can get on with her life without snuggling up to the alt-right (no seriously WTF was that) or intimating suicidal threats on twitter.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Engh, I'm pretty much if the same opinion as to her general purity of intentions or whatever, but I absolutely think she should have had her sentence commuted how she was treated while in custody before and during her trial, and it is absolutely a red flag to me that he has reservations about that.

Leaving aside the entire Obama war on leakers and whether her sentence was even just in the first place.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

If anything, Snowden showed that hey, maybe you don't need to leak a bunch of unredacted intelligence sources to the world to prove your point. So by every modern measure, Manning appears much worse than she did back in 2009.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

psydude posted:

If anything, Snowden showed that hey, maybe you don't need to leak a bunch of unredacted intelligence sources to the world to prove your point. So by every modern measure, Manning appears much worse than she did back in 2009.

Sure, but they'll throw him into an even darker and blacker hole if they ever get ahold of him.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

Sure, but they'll throw him into an even darker and blacker hole if they ever get ahold of him.

Snowden did more far more damage to the US diplomatically/politically than Manning ever did, but Manning exposed sources and put people's lives at risk. The war itself at that point was incredibly unpopular so the actual political consequences were limited.

I'm not trying to make a point, just pointing out that the impact of their crimes was different.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Neither were crimes

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I seriously have doubts that all the info Manning released needed to be classified, the IC way way way overclassifies things.

And hey, she revealed war crimes that would never have made the light of day.

And to that that she is someone who def had issues and got thrown under the bus repeatedly by her command.

(Why did the OIC/NCOIC for her SCIF not get in trouble for allowing freaking personal recording devices into the SCIF?!?!)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"Treatment in custody" complaints are a little rich. She was suicidal as far back as Iraq. Imagine the hell to pay and conspiracy theories if she'd managed to off herself in custody. She's also not someone who would do well in genpop.

That said she's back in custody for refusing to testify about Wikileaks despite an immunity deal.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Super not a fan of how she did the leaking by making GBS threads everything out everywhere and "lol sucks to be you if you were a source". For the current confinement she's refusing to testify because she wants it to be public and is refusing until it is.

Given what's happened to her I'm not going to look down on that kind of desire. To say she has justified trust issues with how she'll be treated behind closed doors is a bit of an understatement.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

"Treatment in custody" complaints are a little rich. She was suicidal as far back as Iraq.

Gee.....serving in a war zone fucks with people's mental health.

Who knew?!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thalantos posted:

Gee.....serving in a war zone fucks with people's mental health.

Who knew?!
So she shouldn't have been on suicide watch then? Also, Manning has FAS and has always been loony.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

So she shouldn't have been on suicide watch then? Also, Manning has FAS and has always been loony.

Suicide watch in the military might prevent self harm in the short term but that poo poo only causes mental harm.

Maybe the us shouldn't be trying to fight multiple wars requring intensive manpower to be executed properly, while trying to do it without properly expanding the military?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

What about the system that let her enlist? Why isn't her recruiter in trouble for letting someone unqualified to enlist do so?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Thalantos posted:

What about the system that let her enlist? Why isn't her recruiter in trouble for letting someone unqualified to enlist do so?

surge.txt

Like I don't disagree with any of what you're saying, but the idea that she doesn't have SOME responsibility for her actions is a bit much.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Great topics all, thanks for bringing them up, just a reminder to be civil discussing them

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Handsome Ralph posted:

surge.txt

Like I don't disagree with any of what you're saying, but the idea that she doesn't have SOME responsibility for her actions is a bit much.

Some, sure. But the amount of time spent in pre-trial confinement, especially combined with the inability of anyone to be able to argue public interest justification (exposing war crimes) or the inability to argue that a bunch of stuff is overclassified, seems like more than enough to me.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

surge.txt

I wouldn't say that. We're all responsible for our own actions.

My main issue is that no one else seems to be held accountable. There were tons of spots/issues during her military career where SOMEONE should have realized she was not a good fit for military service.

But the brass don't care, they just want warm boots on ground. And if some of those folks shouldn't be there and were allowed to be there anyway and then things go wonky, it is NOT all the fault of that one person.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Thalantos posted:

My main issue is that no one else seems to be held accountable. There were tons of spots/issues during her military career where SOMEONE should have realized she was not a good fit for military service.

But the brass don't care, they just want warm boots on ground. And if some of those folks shouldn't be there and were allowed to be there anyway and then things go wonky, it is NOT all the fault of that one person.

Yeah, agreed with this. Same with the bergdahl poo poo. All the people that hosed up leading up to the crisis point walk, all the hate and consequences drop on the poor dumb poo poo that made a really stupid decision. But they are usually some dumb loving teenager and it's not like it's unexpected that dumb teenagers do stupid poo poo unless competently supervised.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/matt_motta/status/1111253892304650240?s=20

Conservatives: I will eat every antibiotic on Earth and no one can stop me.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Thalantos posted:

I completely agree with you. Wasn't saying you necessarily think she doesn't hold some responsibility, but you get the D&D leftists who treat it as if she's infallible for any of her actions, and it's a bit grating. One can think she's not entirely to blame and got turbofucked when she shouldn't have while also maintaining the position that she's not without fault.

The fact we never saw any brass or DoD officials catch serious poo poo for what happened with her, Bergdhal or Bales showed that the government only gave a poo poo about the symptoms and not the underlying problem with carefree recruiting, etc.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Did she actually expose any war crimes? Like actual war crimes not what d&d thinks are war crimes?

Because the Apache thing wasn't a war crime and we can argue about whether it should be but you don't get to make an argument that you're committing a crime to expose crimes when they're not actual crimes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The UK parliament voted against May's Brexit deal, the third time she offered it up.

Edit: From here her options are find a way to allow a hard Brexit, hold another referendum, or hold a general election where the Tories probably lose seats.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

That's being pendantic. The apache incident would be considered a war crime in a world that made sense.

And how can we, as a society, even debate it, when if the DOD had their way none of us would know it even happened, and we'd go to prison if we did talk about it for "violating security".

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Jarmak posted:

Did she actually expose any war crimes? Like actual war crimes not what d&d thinks are war crimes?

Because the Apache thing wasn't a war crime and we can argue about whether it should be but you don't get to make an argument that you're committing a crime to expose crimes when they're not actual crimes.

Hot Take: What pissed me off most about that video is that Assange editorialized the gently caress out of it, and then conveniently released the full video after the edited one was out for a day or two. Also the only media person who called him out on it that wasn't a bootlicker was Stephen Colbert.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Thalantos posted:

That's being pendantic. The apache incident would be considered a war crime in a world that made sense.

And how can we, as a society, even debate it, when if the DOD had their way none of us would know it even happened, and we'd go to prison if we did talk about it for "violating security".

Lol you don't get to dump classified info on completely legal actions because you disagree and you want to spark a policy debate.

The jump from "thing I don't like" to "War Crime(tm)" is not pedantic it's literally the point of arguing she shouldn't be held responsible because she exposed crimes. That's why you and others keep using the term.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

D&D: Chelsea is the mostest smartest mostest good mostest honorable person that ever was and should be president.

*Chelsea hangs out with Nazis then cries when she gets called out on it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jarmak posted:

Lol you don't get to dump classified info on completely legal actions because you disagree and you want to spark a policy debate.

The jump from "thing I don't like" to "War Crime(tm)" is not pedantic it's literally the point of arguing she shouldn't be held responsible because she exposed crimes. That's why you and others keep using the term.

Its unethical as gently caress and if I don't know what to tell you if you don't think we should fix legal but evil things.

Casimir Radon posted:

D&D: Chelsea is the mostest smartest mostest good mostest honorable person that ever was and should be president.

*Chelsea hangs out with Nazis then cries when she gets called out on it.

Judge me not by my actions, nor by the company I keep, but by what I tell you about myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Please don't tell me why I'm using terms.

The US military has a long and sordid history of covering up their illegal, immoral and heinous actions under the guise of national security.