Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A Wii/WiiU and the first Super Mario Galaxy will also scratch the same itch, incidentally. Especially as it has a second playthrough once you get all 120 Stars where you play as Luigi with his NSMB slippery physics and extra jump height :unsmigghh:.

Oh, he loves Galaxy, too. He plays a ton of stuff on our Wii, less so for the Switch (we just don't have the games... yet). He loves Rocket League, which I'm happy about, because :getin:

Also, I never gave Kirby's Epic Yarn much time, but he's gotten super into it, and holy poo poo, what a loving amazing game, Kirby or otherwise! I was surprised and not, and since he's only 4, having a narrator telling the story is actually really great.

If you haven't played Epic Yarn, do it; very, VERY nice.

Anyway, I'm starved for Mario Maker 2 info, so I'm listening to /half-watching GameXplain's 90-minute exploration of the reveal trailer, and while I he seems like an awesome guy, there's only so much of Andre's voice I can take :negative:

EDIT: gently caress it, I'm actually appreciative enough of the fact that he's poring through and expanding on all of this for me (so I don't have to do it) that I'm caring less and less about how he sounds. That '12 most recently used items' thing looks extremely helpful :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Did anyone play this, it looks good but I'd like to know if the gameplay of what appears to be a match three game but you're walking on it works all that well

I played the demo at PRGE, the combat was finalized at that point, and yes, it’s good. It involves a good bit of dodging, try the demo, you’ll have it figured out if you like it or not by the end.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What happened to wargroove? Everyone was all worked up about it forever, then it releases and then........ :iiam:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It did get some discussion in the thread, consensus seems to be "It's good but has some flaws and isn't as good as Advance Wars."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its better now after the latest patch and I think its overall pretty good but like its a straight up clone of AW it wasn't ever gonna make big waves

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Quoting again because this is an awesome deal. Free if you have amazon prime.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chronojam posted:

9 is also more nostalgia if you're into the older games, 7 goes in its own direction

Would you (or anyone) elaborate on this? I have extreme nostalgia for the older games and enjoyed Octopath and LOVE the Bravely games. Where will I feel more at home spending my limited gaming time?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

Theyre both good games, what you want from the game will influence it. 7 is more dated graphically while 9 still looks great due to the art direction, both have the same infuriating music bug, 7s story is better than 9 in terms of stickibg with you and pacing but hoooboy that translation for 7 isnt good and has some dialog thats flat wrong, and combat in 9 is not as good as seven due to a badly thought out mechanic and even with sped up gameplay slooooooow. Id say play both if you somehow finished FF1 and liked it.

X is better than both of them in my opinion.

What's the badly thought it mechanic in FF9's battles? I haven't played it since it released when I was in 8th grade.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Would you (or anyone) elaborate on this? I have extreme nostalgia for the older games and enjoyed Octopath and LOVE the Bravely games. Where will I feel more at home spending my limited gaming time?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

rotaryfun posted:

Jumped on it last night and first thing I fired up was Mario 3. Afterwards I placed 67th in my first Tetris 99 match. Good stuff for the price of free.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

What's the badly thought it mechanic in FF9's battles? I haven't played it since it released when I was in 8th grade.

trance, 9's limit break mechanic, is a super mode that activates automatically whenever the gauge fills up, so you'll pretty much never get to use it when you'd really want to

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Wildtortilla posted:

The animations are much slower than the actual ATB gauges and only one thing can happen at the same time, so a command you're giving might take effect a minute into the future, after all the queued actions from everyone have resolved.

I still love the game, and it's not too bad since it's not hard or anything, but it does make the combat feel unresponsive.

e: oh and Trance i guess, but it's not actively annoying, just kind of there

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

You mean Twitch Prime, right?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

RCarr posted:

Yes, which is free with amazon prime.

Err, maybe. Might have read to fast. Might be a subscription through amazon prime?
edit: nothing I'm finding in amazon subscriptions shows a monthly cost. I believe it really is free with amazon prime.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 29, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One thing about the PS1 FF games that never fails to bug me is that the way the ATB system is programmed is super jank and because time still passes during a lot of long attack animations, you often end up with attacks being queued up for a hilariously long time after you press the button
I wish the games could all just be retroactively made as fast and responsive as X-2’s iteration of ATB.

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 29, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

RCarr posted:

Twitch is owned by Amazon it's the same thing

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

Yes, which is free with amazon prime.

I did not know this! Thanks

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What happened to wargroove? Everyone was all worked up about it forever, then it releases and then........ :iiam:

I guess people didn't like it. Is that a mystery?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't know twitch prime came with Amazon prime. I could have been giving subscription money to :love:Amouranth:love: this whole time

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, they recaptured it in Woolly World. Getting from start to finish is generally easy. Getting to the end with 100% on some levels is brutal. And the last world does indeed start to throw a few challenges at you.

And then there's the S-Level in each world, which is just Nintendo taking the kid gloves off and laughing cruelly at the player, daring them to give in and use the Winged mode or bring in a friend to help, because they are fundamentally unworthy to pass it on their own merit :unsmigghh:.

I don’t remember Wooly World being that difficult. I recall there being several hidden balloons and things that were nearly impossible to find without a guide, in a bad way.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I didn't know twitch prime came with Amazon prime. I could have been giving subscription money to :love:Amouranth:love: this whole time

I didn't either until literally today when I decided to investigate a bit.

Wish I'd known earlier as well. Could have gotten some warframe loot before it expired.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don’t remember Wooly World being that difficult. I recall there being several hidden balloons and things that were nearly impossible to find without a guide, in a bad way.

The bonus stages were pretty difficult, especially if you were going for the collectibles

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Macaluso posted:

The bonus stages were pretty difficult, especially if you were going for the collectibles

Maybe they were, but I don’t remember them being on the same level as “Poochy ain’t stupid”

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Maybe they were, but I don’t remember them being on the same level as “Poochy ain’t stupid”

Oh well yeah it's not as hard as the original Yoshi's Island game, but I think it's still a good challenge.

I played the first level before I have to go work. I played the same thing in the demo, however two things are different: first the one guy doesn't pop up afterwards and give you the extra challenge thing (in the first level's case it was shooting 5 cows). And the flipped version of the stage where you find the Poochie Pups didn't happen either. When does that stuff trigger? Is it post world? Post game?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I didn't know that either. WELL THEN

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I didn't know that either. WELL THEN

Prime is trademarked by Amazon, everything under the Prime banner is owned by them. Wholefoods Prime is also part of Amazon Prime, get a discount at food too.

Google and Amazon are going to take over the planet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

pixaal posted:

Prime is trademarked by Amazon, everything under the Prime banner is owned by them. Wholefoods Prime is also part of Amazon Prime, get a discount at food too.

Google and Amazon are going to take over the planet.

I knew they owned Twitch, I just thought Twitch Prime was another subscription.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What about.... Metroid Prime

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh yeah hey. I picked that up before a flight to the states, played it for like ten hours straight on the plane. Then put it down and never picked it up again, even on the ten hour flight back. I dunno, it just never interested me after i stopped playing it. Bad sign for games.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Policenaut posted:

Gearbox tried to get Borderlands on Switch like two years ago and Randy Pitchford went on Twitter to say Nintendo just stopped returning their calls one day so not a good sign.

Well I think we all know how Borderlands 2 on the Vita turned out. (It was very not good.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

numerrik posted:

I played the demo at PRGE, the combat was finalized at that point, and yes, it’s good. It involves a good bit of dodging, try the demo, you’ll have it figured out if you like it or not by the end.

Oh dang, didn't realize there was a demo, I'll download it tonight, thanks!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Bloop posted:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wooly World was really painfully mediocre and unoriginal level wise outside like... 2 stages that stood out to me and even 100%ing it was super easy.

Crafted Worlds level themes at least look more interesting so at least it has that. I'm picking it up later but not expecting much given how Good Feel seems to prioritize "make it cute" over substance.
Can't wait to see that exciting giant baby bowser fight for the 20th time haha.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wargroove is cool, and they've put in a lot of QoL improvements. I think it's just that once campaign is mostly over, you just kinda burn out unless you're into the online MP.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wooly World was really painfully mediocre and unoriginal level wise outside like... 2 stages that stood out to me and even 100%ing it was super easy.

Crafted Worlds level themes at least look more interesting so at least it has that. I'm picking it up later but not expecting much given how Good Feel seems to prioritize "make it cute" over substance.
Can't wait to see that exciting giant baby bowser fight for the 20th time haha.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I am probably almost half way though Yoshi and yeah, all of the reviews are right.

Initial runs of levels are cool, flip side is okay, the 5 or so times more you have to play the levels for the bonus mission stuff gets super tedious. Game is also a cake walk as far as the platforming side of it goes. Any difficulty you are going to get is through Collectathon elements, and that's more tedious than difficult.

Game is adorable and charming as all hell though. I really can't recommend the game to anyone on the fence, especially if they didn't like Woolly World or the latest Kirby game, but I don't regret buying it personally. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What if I really liked the latest Kirby game, even the super easy progressing-through-the-campaign part of it?

Would you recommend Yoshi then?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sometimes you play a game for a challenge, sometimes you play a game for fun. Yoshi and Kriby games have always been firmly in the "Fun" category. Mario strikes a really good balance between the two with challenging post game bonus content.

I am not saying challenges aren't fun but sometimes you just don't want that. I have plat in Deamon's Souls multiple times over at this point and still enjoy a good Kirby or Yoshi.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pixaal posted:

Sometimes you play a game for a challenge, sometimes you play a game for fun. Yoshi and Kriby games have always been firmly in the "Fun" category. Mario strikes a really good balance between the two with challenging post game bonus content.

I am not saying challenges aren't fun but sometimes you just don't want that. I have plat in Deamon's Souls multiple times over at this point and still enjoy a good Kirby or Yoshi.

Outside Star Allie's base game I'd say Kirby has a alright difficulty curve. It doesn't really get super hard but it's not afraid to kill you in the later stages- and final boss gauntlets will get you assuming you aren't spamming abilities that give you constant i-frames.

And post game Kirby usually kicks your rear end to brutal levels so there's a cliff for those that want it. (Though again, Star Allies does give you a couple easy win characters if you don't feel like challenging yourself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Bloop posted:

FF9 is a steampunkish setting (the invention of steam powered airships is a plot point) with fixed (but clear) job classes. A black mage is readily identifiable, a white mage wears the classic robe for some scenes, a dragoon has the look, etc. Characters, plot, or equipment from past games are referenced directly, by name-dropping and background legends, or otherwise.

If you played FF 4, 5, 6 you'd pick up on lots.