Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
No seriously, can someone tell me how this dude has so many event troops and why they replenish? He declares war on me, I whittle his event troops down by more than half, win the war at great cost, but the event troops regenerate back and he declares war on me again. It's annoying and takes up all my time. I can't expand without getting backstabbed by him every time the truce ends.

edit: Of course, how could I forget? Murder is always the answer. After killing him, his heir doesn't have the event troops.

Node fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Looks like the Shia Caliphate Rising event to me

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Working as intended, Byzantium must fall

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Various Meat Products posted:

Looks like the Shia Caliphate Rising event to me

This looks to be correct. Shia uprising event troops do replenish, so unless you stackwipe them, they'll recover. They also don't inherit, as you found out.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Palemdromes posted:

Working as intended, Byzantium must fall

Infidel, the Arabian hordes are no match for the sacred christian, actually never mind, they lost again.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

As a lovely semi unrelated side note, I’m glad the Christchurch maniac referred to himself as a “remove kebabist” so I have an irrefutable example when I call out lovely paradox forum posters for that overused garbage “joke”

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Palemdromes posted:

As a lovely semi unrelated side note, I’m glad the Christchurch maniac referred to himself as a “remove kebabist” so I have an irrefutable example when I call out lovely paradox forum posters for that overused garbage “joke”

The Paradox subreddits have all banned kebab jokes and in general gotten more serious about policing islamophobia for just this reason.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-118-great-works-patchnotes.1163658/

We got us some patch notes!

Notable:

quote:

- Slaying an enemy ruler in a battle will no longer display them as your "acquaintance" in messages.
- Historical characters will no longer attempt to marry characters that have not yet been born.

We would also like to inform you that your prayers have not gone unheard, we will be adding the Hagia Sophia in a future update!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

loving yes, those guys rock

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Can Varangians carve their names into the Hagia Sofia like in real life?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I hope the Hagia Sofia means we can reconsecrate infidel religious monuments.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Goon Danton posted:

I hope the Hagia Sofia means we can reconsecrate infidel religious monuments.

Yeah being stuck with the Apostolic See as a Pagan Rome, or the Hagia Sofia as a Muslim would be annoying.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, it was a rough ten years, but strategic warring and taking advantage of other subjugation wars has led me to this.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Nicely done! Now beat up on some Finns until you have the piety to make yourself King of Denmark and then Emperor.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My ruler just died of cancer at the ripe old age of 26. Everything goes to his 4 year old son but within the first few months theres a faction to depose me. I try to fight it but they get lucky and win the war. Now I rule the north of Africa and my uncle rules the south. In 12 or so years I'm going to have to fight him for it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

My ruler just died of cancer at the ripe old age of 26. Everything goes to his 4 year old son but within the first few months theres a faction to depose me. I try to fight it but they get lucky and win the war. Now I rule the north of Africa and my uncle rules the south. In 12 or so years I'm going to have to fight him for it.

Don't wait that long. Bribe the poo poo out of your regent then declare a couple tributary wars you can definitely win. After that your whole court should warm up to you because you get a pretty decent opinion modifier for winning tributary wars. Tributary wars are great because it's free prestige, the war score reqs for tributaries is real low. Not to mention the 40%(I think) of their income and the ability to use their full levies for any wars other than wars you offer to join.

Edit: It's not a guaranteed strategy but I've found it works sometimes, and thats better than nothing.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 2, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

for clarification when I wrote "Africa" I meant the entire continent not the kingdom of Africa

I am now the emperor of Maghreb because I created that title on a whim ages ago. I probably shouldn't have because otherwise I'd be a really powerful megaking inside the old empire and not the ruler of a slightly smaller empire.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough.I still say raise a massive tributary army then smash him.

In other news, after subjugating Saxony and getting 100% threat 10 or so years ago, I started focusing on raiding and building up my holdings. My vassals, on the other hand, have been very, very busy.

I don't know who conquered Aquitaine or a good chunk of France, but hell, I'll take it.

Edit: I have a faction of 14 vassals that has 14,120 men and they are only 39.5% of me. This is the most powerful I've ever been in this game.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 2, 2019

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
3.1 just went live:

###################
# Free Features
###################
- Added Great Works Feature allowing independent rulers to take on massive construction projects.

###################
# Balance
###################
- Added some secret stuff.
- Disabled event 6080.
- Reduced the strength of the vassalized mercenary companies.
- Architect trait now has a Great Work cost modifier.
- Construction technology now has a Great Work cost modifier.
- Order Government can now hold temples.
- Prosperity events now take Great Works into its calculation.

###################
# Interface
###################
- The societies view will now show the player's current society when opened, if they have one.
- Added a description of what the colors indicate in the map mode for China.

###################
# User modding
###################
- Unlocked all DLC event pictures!
- Added unit_graphical_culture, unit_graphical_cultures override for unit models in culture database.
- The following values can now be exported to variables: num_of_subrealm_temples, num_of_subrealm_tribes, num_of_subrealm_empty_provinces, num_of_demesne_castles, num_of_demesne_cities, num_of_demesne_temples, num_of_demesne_tribes, num_of_demesne_empty_provinces, and total_years_played.
- Added set_dynasty_name effect, sets the name of the scoped character's dynasty to the right hand side string/localisation key.
- Added propagate_bloodline_from effect.
- All scope types should now be saved as global event targets.
- Added support for custom_modifier_text in modifier fields.
- Improved debug tooltip (charinfo console command) for a number of objects that utilize scripted flags and variables. (Characters, Societies, Artifacts, Provinces, Dynasties, Great Works)
- Modders should now get an error if they add history commands that marry characters that have not been born yet.

###################
# Database
###################
- Renamed a title to Empire of Rus to strengthen the intended connection to the historical Kievan Rus.
- Added decision to form the Russian Tsardom early.
- Differentiated the Coat of Arms for Kingdom of Kiev and Empire of Rus.
- Cleaned up Anatolian province culture/religion in some of the later start dates.
- Fixed a broken dynasty in Bolzano.
- Fixed a broken dynasty in Saarbrücken.

###################
# Bug Fixes
###################
- Fixed children generated for historical rulers without scripted families having 0 in all attributes and getting no childhood traits. Also applies to all children generated through "create_character".
- Blocked Holy orders from spontaneously building Tribal holdings.
- Fixed missing effects and tooltips for receiving news of the Aztec Invasion - if you have certain Vision modifiers (from the Hermetic's Scrying Power) it will now properly update your Seer modifier, while also explaining what happens.
- Fixed the crucible steel event chain sometimes breaking just before its final outcome.
- Having a Non-aggression Pact with the target of a Crusade will now lead to it automatically breaking once the Crusade is launched, allowing you to join the war.
- Made Songs of Byzantium work for Roman culture as well as the Byzantine group.
- Fixed issue were the continue playthrough buttons would load the wrong save if your latest save is a cloud save and you have a local save with the same name.
- Fixed the Saintly Pilgrimage chain sometimes breaking after the weird village encounter.
- Fixed the Ritual Hunt chain for Warrior Lodge members sometimes leaving you stuck as "busy", if you chose to simply return home at the end of the chain.
- In the events surrounding a loved one's death, you will no longer be expected to grief and bond together with characters who are in prison.
- Made conditions to gain the Peaceful Child Forged Bloodline somewhat more lenient so that it can actually be achieved.
- Fixed several Bloodline-related events and actions not properly checking that a Bloodline is active on the character in question.
- Fixed holes in the reconquered Roman Imperial Provinces events.
- Slaying an enemy ruler in a battle will no longer display them as your "acquaintance" in messages.
- Ships will no longer cut straight through Kanin/c_kanin when coming into port from the North Atlantic.
- Adjusted positions of some units and on map shields in Russia.
- Blocking players from doing decisions to which switches over to a religion which requires an unowned or disabled DLC, leading to an instant game over.
- England no longer end up as the tributary of Gwynedd in the 12th century.
- Kievan Rus no longer loses it's name if it is held by someone with a North Germanic culture.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when the Siberian Wastelands was brought into the camera's view for the first time.
- Fixed game start feature window displaying incorrect religion and/or culture information if any of these were changed from the ruler designer.
- Fixed crusade wars starting immediately instead of after the preparation phase, in multiplayer games.
- Fixed not being able to rename tribal settlements.
- Fixed it being possible to back out of baptism name change window, after first accepting the name change from an event.
- Fixed the credits screen not closing when the credits were over.
- Fixed a bug affecting duel results calculation for Pagan characters.
- Fixed an issue where a child born with a dead father would wrongfully get the mothers dynasty.
- Fixed a bug where in elective succession law it was not possible to nominate the own sons.
- Fixed a bug where the designated regent would not always work if you were not independent.
- Fixed a rare bug that caused a crash when setting the liege upon character death.
- Fixed a crash when setting the religion on a dead character from script.
- Historical characters will no longer attempt to marry characters that have not yet been born.
- The AI is now allowed to pass out vice royalties even when they're a vassal.
- Saving rules on a shattered or random world should no longer result in game rules breaking and achievements being disabled.
- Fixed incorrect achievement indicator when loading a save where achievements are possible.
- Fixed a bug affecting religious conversion speed.
- Fixed an inheritance problem of matrilineal bloodlines combined with male consorts.
- Blocked some battle events describing gruesome death, but not running the actual death-effect, from firing.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Will this be save-compatible? Can I build a great work in my current game?

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Bold Robot posted:

Sorry looks like that's a no

quote:

You will not be able to have any historical wonders if you load up an older save in 3.1. Only games started with 3.1 or later will have that feature!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bold Robot posted:

The devs said it's save compatible, but you won't have any of the historical wonders. You can still build your own.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tormented posted:

Sorry looks like that's a no

You can build new wonders, but your saved game won't have the historical wonders on the map. That's probably because those are defined in the history files. Likely means that you could edit your save game to add them in if you were so inclined.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I think the CK2+ lead's decision to release the Holy Fury-compatible beta literally the day before another patch may have been unwise (but it's not like I tried to stop him.)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think the CK2+ lead's decision to release the Holy Fury-compatible beta literally the day before another patch may have been unwise (but it's not like I tried to stop him.)

Lmao, god dammit, I’ve been waiting on that update for months. Despite their similarities, I remember preferring CK2+ to HIP, and I’m tired of playing the latter. I miss Plus’ east-west schism events in particular, even if they didn’t always work properly - for those who don’t know, it starts off with Catholic and Orthodox united as “Chalcedonian” and gives priests a trait for either Latin or Greek rites. Then as you get closer to the turn of the millennium events start firing to show the growing rift between east and west, culminating with the pope and patriarch excommunicating each other like whiny little babies. It was great when it worked.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Palemdromes posted:

Lmao, god dammit, I’ve been waiting on that update for months. Despite their similarities, I remember preferring CK2+ to HIP, and I’m tired of playing the latter. I miss Plus’ east-west schism events in particular, even if they didn’t always work properly - for those who don’t know, it starts off with Catholic and Orthodox united as “Chalcedonian” and gives priests a trait for either Latin or Greek rites. Then as you get closer to the turn of the millennium events start firing to show the growing rift between east and west, culminating with the pope and patriarch excommunicating each other like whiny little babies. It was great when it worked.

Yeah, I've been playing HIP lately myself, though I had always preferred CK2+ myself. Honestly though, they both seem to do a lot of the same things I like. Supposedly they both share a bunch of work IIRC. Main difference would probably be CK2+'s factions, which I've always really liked and that the two have different maps (with HIP using either the vanilla map or the SWMH map and CK2+ having a slightly edited vanilla map).

I do also like the coats of arms mod they have for HIP, which probably shouldn't be too difficult to get to work for CK2+ if you wanted, I appreciate it especially for adding in a bunch more historical Islamic coats of arms and for actually having the Tengri coats of arms be based on the actual tribal stamps/identifiers of Turkic tribes rather than just some stuff like a torch, a wolf and a bow.

And CPRPlus, that one I also like. I like filtering out some of the more ugly portraits and trying to have a more uniying style between them all, as well as more interaction between character traits and portraits. That one's pretty easy to get working for CK2+ anyway, there's usually a compatch around and if not you can adapt it yourself as well if you have a little bit of time on your hands, since it's only graphical.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 2, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Dallan, you work on Lux Invicta right? Is that gonna update to Holy Fury at any point? It’s never been my favorite overhaul mod but i appreciate how much thought went into it and i enjoyed playing when I got too familiar with the other two big ones. Even if it is a bit of a clusterf*ck.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dallan Invictus posted:

the current + team seems very... pigheaded? I dunno, they just have kind of a poo poo attitude

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you want a good coat of arms mod, just use Patrum Scuta. It's loads better than HIP's, plus it's compatible with CK2+.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Palemdromes posted:

Dallan, you work on Lux Invicta right? Is that gonna update to Holy Fury at any point? It’s never been my favorite overhaul mod but i appreciate how much thought went into it and i enjoyed playing when I got too familiar with the other two big ones. Even if it is a bit of a clusterf*ck.

Ha, no, the name is just a coincidence, I work on CK2+ (off and on, mostly for maintenance/compatibility stuff because even with Holy Fury taking tons of inspiration from mods I still can't quite play the game vanilla so I help update the mod pretty much entirely so I can play it sooner).

I do feel pretty similarly about Lux Invicta though, except that I thought it had stopped being updated years ago.

Fuligin posted:

the current + team seems very... pigheaded? I dunno, they just have kind of a poo poo attitude

I've been through like three or four lead devs for + at this point and yeah, vukica gets kinda crotchety in public a lot of the time but a) if I had to deal with Paradox forum posters for free I absolutely would too and b) he's kinda stepped back anyway because his real life got busy and the new guy (really an old guy picking the reins back up) is WAY more conciliatory/open. Arguably to a fault.

Anyway, re: CK2+, the GitHub is back to being public here so people can follow progress or (if you're brave) try and play with hot code. I figure I'll dive into updating for 3.1 after I get back from work, it honestly doesn't look like it'll be TOO much of a delay, the timing has just been kinda funny.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 2, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PBJ posted:

If you want a good coat of arms mod, just use Patrum Scuta. It's loads better than HIP's, plus it's compatible with CK2+.

That looks pretty good actually. Will have to take a look at it. Unfortunately I'm kind of wedded to HIP at the moment, though maybe I can manage to merge this into my current save.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dallan Invictus posted:

Ha, no, the name is just a coincidence, I work on CK2+ (off and on, mostly for maintenance/compatibility stuff because even with Holy Fury taking tons of inspiration from mods I still can't quite play the game vanilla so I help update the mod pretty much entirely so I can play it sooner).

I do feel pretty similarly about Lux Invicta though, except that I thought it had stopped being updated years ago.

I've been through like three or four lead devs for + at this point and yeah, vukica gets kinda crotchety in public a lot of the time but a) if I had to deal with Paradox forum posters for free I absolutely would too and b) he's kinda stepped back anyway because his real life got busy and the new guy (really an old guy picking the reins back up) is WAY more conciliatory/open. Arguably to a fault.

Anyway, re: CK2+, the GitHub is back to being public here so people can follow progress or (if you're brave) try and play with hot code. I figure I'll dive into updating for 3.1 after I get back from work, it honestly doesn't look like it'll be TOO much of a delay, the timing has just been kinda funny.

yeah that's certainly fair. I've been dying without chalcedonian christianity and the plus factions so i'm p pumped right now

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dallan Invictus posted:

I honestly can't blame the team for being snappy with pdox forum posters. I've seen countless posts in the past complaining that the mod crashes on load, despite very clearly being marked for pre-Holy Fury.

Randarkman posted:

That looks pretty good actually. Will have to take a look at it. Unfortunately I'm kind of wedded to HIP at the moment, though maybe I can manage to merge this into my current save.

I've actually gotten it to work with HIP by just fiddling with the coat_of_arms.txt file. Not sure if it'd work alongside ArkoPack(?) though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PBJ posted:

I've actually gotten it to work with HIP by just fiddling with the coat_of_arms.txt file. Not sure if it'd work alongside ArkoPack(?) though.

I'm looking at it now. It's looking very much like it should be doable with just a bit of work. Alongside is a bit more iffy, It'd probably be best replace a bunch of ArkoPack stuff. Though that isn't the worst loss, I think this one looks nicer actually, don't know if it covers as much, haven't checked it in game yet, but I really like the clean look that it has, and I especially like the frames.

Wondering if I could manage to mash CK2+ factions into my game. Dallan Invictus maybe you know which files in particular I'd have to look at besides 00_factions.txt (I'm guessing there's files with related events and decisions)? As I said I'm currently kind of wedded to using HIP, since I have an LP game going that I determined to start when it still wasn't clear when the new CK2+ would be coming out, so I just decided that HIP sans SWMH would be good enough. As I'm currently waiting for HIP to get updated for the new patch (which seems like it should be perfectly save compatible except lacking the historical wonders, which I believe should be relatively easy to add in via save editing), which they seem to say should take about a week, I figured I might as well look at trying to merge some more mods into this thing, as well as features from other mods that I enjoy.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 2, 2019

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

There was actually a standalone version of the CK2+ faction system released because somebody wanted to port it to GoT etc.

It hasn't been updated in a while but it would probably give a hint as to what would need to be changed to plug the system into another mod.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

There was actually a standalone version of the CK2+ faction system released because somebody wanted to port it to GoT etc.

It hasn't been updated in a while but it would probably give a hint as to what would need to be changed to plug the system into another mod.

Ah, it says they were later added to HIP. So maybe I don't have to do anything. I might not have seen any factions really as so far I've been playing a relatively small nomad.

And now that I think about I think I've seen references to the glory and tradition factions when picking CBs. So, yeah, not really going to have to worry about that one then.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Are you the guy doing the Oghuz run?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, I've got another 20 years done atm, but haven't quite had the time to spare to write as of yet. Threw out a really short update on sunday though because my ruler decided to get himself killed over losing an arm wrestling contest.

link for those interested.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 2, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, I've got another 20 years done atm, but haven't quite had the time to spare to write as of yet. Threw out a really short update on sunday though because my ruler decided to get himself killed over losing an arm wrestling contest.

Word, I forgot to bookmark it, I’ll do that now. It’s been a good read so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I feel like I should mention this here, I'm going to be doing a let's-learn streamthrough of CK2 starting next Monday on Youtube with my long-time LP partner. He's played all of like 30 minutes of the game and I'll be doing my best to whip him into shape. Gonna do a random world with more pagans and I'll be starting as a duke with him as one of my count vassals. A couple long time players in this thread have said they like the way I solve problems so if you want to drop by and bug me about something, feel free.

If you're interested, keep an eye on the streaming thread in Let's Play, where I'll post the link when we're live. 4/8 at about 8pm CST.