Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I said come in! posted:

Warcraft I & II are available now on Good Old Games.

That was sooner than I expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Warcraft I is not a very good game and I don't recommend it unless you need the nostalgia hit. II is... Not too bad for an RTS game from 1995.

As a huge Warcraft fanboy, I agree with this assessment. Warcraft 2 is fun, but the age of the game really shows in a lot of the mechanics, though the Battle.net edition added a few much-needed features.

Warcraft 1 though... I'd say it's worth a playthrough purely so you can appreciate just *how* bad it actually is by today's standards. Can only select four units at a time, no right-clicking, Catapults and toptier Summoned units are blatantly overpowered...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

WC1 still looks amazing, though. Everything's so dark and ominous, and it's fun recognizing pieces of music and things, they later use in WoW.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Maybe right-clicking is one of the improvements.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I tried playing Warcraft I last night and couldn't do it. The game is painfully outdated and difficult. Being able to only select 4 units at a time, no mouse scroll, basic hotkeys, it was painful.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFRDUTfL5Ms

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

I said come in! posted:

I tried playing Warcraft I last night and couldn't do it. The game is painfully outdated and difficult. Being able to only select 4 units at a time, no mouse scroll, basic hotkeys, it was painful.

Ah drat, it's a shame they didn't or couldn't update those QoL things like Microsoft did with Age of Empires 1 Remastered.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Warcraft 1 though... I'd say it's worth a playthrough purely so you can appreciate just *how* bad it actually is by today's standards. Can only select four units at a time, no right-clicking, Catapults and toptier Summoned units are blatantly overpowered...

Teching straight to warlocks and decimating the AI with endless waves of summoned demons is like my go strat lol.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I seem to remember blunt forcing my way through WC1 by just building a lot of ranged units and baiting enemies into walking into them, since they'd at least fire without you manually left clicking them.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

New Patch on the PTR:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/public-test-realm-1-31/5003

Big changes for Undead and Blademaster and a slew of other things. Cloak of Shadows change seems interesting. No mountain giant changes surprisingly.

Grubby, ToD, and B2W all have videos up on their youtube channels if you are interested in hearing their thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKMj3mu-NSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BpxevpqRbA

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BattleHamster posted:

New Patch on the PTR:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/public-test-realm-1-31/5003

Big changes for Undead and Blademaster and a slew of other things. Cloak of Shadows change seems interesting. No mountain giant changes surprisingly.

Grubby, ToD, and B2W all have videos up on their youtube channels if you are interested in hearing their thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKMj3mu-NSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BpxevpqRbA

I don't really like the change toward making undead do more micro with an ability to sacrifice undead (???). But whatever, it's my understanding that undead have historically sucked in competitive.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't really like the change toward making undead do more micro with an ability to sacrifice undead (???). But whatever, it's my understanding that undead have historically sucked in competitive.

It's certainly interesting what they're doing with Necromancers. Unholy Frenzy is now a LOT more potent, despite having a bigger cost now. Sacrifice an undead unit (...they're necromancers; you're gonna have plenty), and then applies Unholy Frenzy in an AoE. That's huge.

But now, Raise Dead requires their first upgrade, and a weakened Cripple is their initial spell now. It's a pretty big shakeup.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Cripple available soon after hitting tier2 is pretty big. Potentially you can have DK/Lich/Cripple pretty early giving enemy heroes a torrid time.

Frenzy being AoE sounds amazing on the face of it but since Frenzy also damages the units it's on you'll have to be careful about nuking your own casters.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is reforged not even actually going to happen? I googled the release date and came up empty. SMH

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
They announced a wow classic release first. WC3 release will end up being a forgotten dud.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Christmas 2019 was my predicted release

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Christmas 2019 was my predicted release

Santa hats for peons $9.99

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
My bet for release is in the month before blizzcon, now that wow classic has taken up the July-September launch window, and the store saying it’s expected before end of year.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
When it was announced, all they said was "By the end of 2019". We still have six and a half months to go before they hit their initially presented deadline. Relax, folks. It'll come.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still impatiently waiting for this.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Still impatiently waiting for this.

:same:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm hosting a LAN tomorrow night; this had better be released today Friday pacific time.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
They just released patch 1.31 two days ago so it will probably take a few months.
Note that they broke arranged team a while ago and still haven't gotten it working :( really strange

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Did anyone's Frozen Throne start making GBS threads the bed HARD after updating? Before the patch, it ran as normal. Afterward, it runs at less than 4 frames per second and the fix that shows up by searching is 5 years old and doesn't work.
Please help. I'm bad at it and my mouse doesn't work a solid 50% of the time and the touchpad's no good, but it's such a fun game. :smith:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

Did anyone's Frozen Throne start making GBS threads the bed HARD after updating? Before the patch, it ran as normal. Afterward, it runs at less than 4 frames per second and the fix that shows up by searching is 5 years old and doesn't work.
Please help. I'm bad at it and my mouse doesn't work a solid 50% of the time and the touchpad's no good, but it's such a fun game. :smith:

Yes, lots of people are complaining.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mata posted:

They just released patch 1.31 two days ago so it will probably take a few months.
Note that they broke arranged team a while ago and still haven't gotten it working :( really strange
They also broke matchmaking by causing RoC and TFT to get put into the same game. So they decided to disable RoC as a solution.

They also managed to break banning in clan channels which is mildly confusing to me. Mostly, how does that happen?

BlazetheInferno posted:

When it was announced, all they said was "By the end of 2019". We still have six and a half months to go before they hit their initially presented deadline. Relax, folks. It'll come.
I'd bet it takes them longer. They seem to be turning over a lot more rocks than the SCR team, and WC3's codebase is likely significantly more complicated. SCR had a literal wizard or two on the team, but you need more than that for WC3. From 2003-2005 until remastered started they've just consistently disabled things in the wc3/tft codebase instead of actually fixing them. WC3 was real ambitious and way ahead of its time, it even included a full featured web statistics suite for all your games and stuff at one point. And an api. In 2002 that's real forward looking considering it didn't become the norm until a decade+ later, and sc2 didn't even come close to offering the out of game features that wc3 had.

Also, WC3 has huge profit potential. Team games & customs are actually good in wc3 and it's super accessible compared to SC1/SC2. Lots of nostalgia to cash in on. SC1 is the kind of game everyone claims to be nostalgic about but very few actually want to play beyond the campaign. WC3 is a different beast entirely. The RTS side of it is very soft and easy to get into and feel like you're contributing.

It's downright fun and has tons of stupid gimmicks that actually work.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 20, 2019

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Khorne posted:

They also broke matchmaking by causing RoC and TFT to get put into the same game. So they decided to disable RoC as a solution.

They also managed to break banning in clan channels which is mildly confusing to me. Mostly, how does that happen?
I'd bet it takes them longer. They seem to be turning over a lot more rocks than the SCR team, and WC3's codebase is likely significantly more complicated. SCR had a literal wizard or two on the team, but you need more than that for WC3. From 2003-2005 until remastered started they've just consistently disabled things in the wc3/tft codebase instead of actually fixing them. WC3 was real ambitious and way ahead of its time, it even included a full featured web statistics suite for all your games and stuff at one point. And an api. In 2002 that's real forward looking considering it didn't become the norm until a decade+ later, and sc2 didn't even come close to offering the out of game features that wc3 had.

Also, WC3 has huge profit potential. Team games & customs are actually good in wc3 and it's super accessible compared to SC1/SC2. Lots of nostalgia to cash in on. SC1 is the kind of game everyone claims to be nostalgic about but very few actually want to play beyond the campaign. WC3 is a different beast entirely. The RTS side of it is very soft and easy to get into and feel like you're contributing.

It's downright fun and has tons of stupid gimmicks that actually work.

wc3 owns

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lol, new patch did nothing to fix game. :qq:

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
drat modern blizzard is so bad they even gently caress up games from 2003

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So did Blizzard abandon the remake or what? It feels like Reforge has been quietly canceled or massively delayed.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Given they gave the end of the year deadline and that was probably seen as super safe at the time I would guess it was supposed to be out by now and has been delayed.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I have a feeling EA is behind this, and that were I to buy Reforged at full retail and install it, it will run perfectly fine and smooth while Frozen Throne still chugs at <3 FPS.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

For those of you who may have missed it, WC3 had its big yearly tournament last week and it was thoroughly sick. If you weren't able to check it out live you can find all the matches on this playlist from Back2Warcraft.

This year was particularly notable because it was the first WGL for the Russian undead player Happy. All of his matches are worth watching.

My favorite match from the entire tournament though was this one -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo8PB4gZNtM&t=1356s

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Hard to understand his accent, was the player making the creep waste its mana so Demonhunter can't burn for damage or was he just trying to lead the creep camp to damage the Ancient?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

It's so the creeps will attack the ancient.

The idea is that if NE puts the AoW closer to the creeps its possible to get the cancel on it with ghoul + creep damage. However, since Moon placed his AoW further out, 120 couldn't do this so he instead decided to get as much damage as possible as he already walked the ghoul all the way over there.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I imagine we’ll get release dates during blizzcon in the fall along with Diablo 4 announcement

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

I imagine we’ll get release dates during blizzcon in the fall along with Diablo 4 announcement

:lol: Diablo Mobile playable demo more likely.

Diablo 4 aint real

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
After all we've seen from Blizzard now I don't even want Diablo 4. I don't want a goddamn thing except new graphics on my old WC3 now.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
gently caress new graphics, I just wanna play a 16-year-old computer game that I paid money for on my wholly-sufficient 4 year-old-computer, there is no loving reason for this goddamn bullshit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gildiss posted:

After all we've seen from Blizzard now I don't even want Diablo 4. I don't want a goddamn thing except new graphics on my old WC3 now.

Pretty much yeah. There's a lot of legit reasons to hate Blizzard right now. I've never been one of those "Blizzard use to be good until WoW." types, but ever since Blizzcon 2018, they have really taken a poo poo on everything out in broad daylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
All the quality IPs are grtting stripped like loving hostilly-acquired firms until all that remains is a marketing budget and CEO compensation of twice the company's annual revenue.