Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Please don’t mail authors anything without checking in before, it’s frightening.

I could tell you liked mice, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Goodkind is what would have happened if Ayn Rand wrote a fantasy series and decided not to be subtle with her symbolism. And also of she had a huge s&m fetish.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

On a totally disconnected topic: Still no eta on the Iain M Banks encyclopedia that Ken MacLeod has been researching for a few years now.

what's all this then???

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Midgetskydiver posted:

Just finished Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay based on a recommend in this thread and really enjoyed it. Loved the mix of fairly basic historical fiction with straight up no holds barred fantasy elements. Kay is a great writer and I'm definitely going to read a few more of his.

Anyone know of any other good settings that mix low fantasy elements with a dab of the supernatural, preferably pre-Industrial? Doesn't have to be historical per se, but I love me my low magic settings.

Maaaaybe Tim Powers? It's more alternate history than straight up fantasy, but it mixes in supernatural stuff.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Still no eta on the Iain M Banks encyclopedia that Ken MacLeod has been researching for a few years now.

November 28th

PupsOfWar posted:

what's all this then???

https://www.orbitbooks.net/2018/02/12/acquisition-announcement-orbit-announces-publication-original-culture-drawings-estate-iain-m-banks/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Seconding, it's great. Also the second book is out now with the third hopefully on the way.

Thirding this.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Nice. I foolishly checked the official Iain Banks website for news on it and saw nothing. Hope that amazon store date holds up, aka that isn't a placeholder.
Loved Banks's scifi novels while really being unable to get into his "normal" fiction work. Vague MacLeod concerns will have me waiting a week to read reviews of how it holds up instead of instabuying it like most of Banks's Culture books.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's some incredibly crazy poo poo going down in /r/fantasy right now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Please don’t mail authors anything without checking in before, it’s frightening.

Now I feel bad for mailing an author a model of the launch vehicle for the lunar mission I worked on in return for a bunch of signed copies of his books

I hope he didn't think the box was full of skin flakes and chuck it in the trash

TOOT BOOT posted:

I looked it up and apparently multiple, long-time community members a single person spent a year creating fake accounts supporting a made-up sexual assault claim against Ed McDonald. What the gently caress is wrong with people? How do they decide to do this?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 29, 2019

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Just checked. The Ed McDonald stuff? No idea who Ed McDonald is honestly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Isnt he that guy that sexually assaulted somebody

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

You know I think I would be ok with other authors writing books about the Culture. But who? Is Ken McLeod good/could he do it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fallom posted:

I looked it up and apparently multiple, long-time community members a single person spent a year creating fake accounts supporting a made-up sexual assault claim against Ed McDonald. What the gently caress is wrong with people? How do they decide to do this?

Apparently the person who instigated all this was a mod of r/fantasy as well. The whole thing is crazy.

McDonald's response to the aftermath is pretty good.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

You know I think I would be ok with other authors writing books about the Culture. But who? Is Ken McLeod good/could he do it?

macleod had permission from banks to do it, by virtue of them being good buddies

he's never really done anything as expansive as the Culture but i think he could pull off something dece
he and banks share a lot of themes, motifs, interests (being pals)

last I heard, though, he had mulled over the idea of doing a novel and decided against it

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Do I still have the greenlight to DM them links to sadpanda on twitter though

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

Pretty much what PupsOfWar said, only I think MacLeod is the official executor of Iain Banks literary estate too.
In short stories like "whos afraid of wolf 359" MacLeod has shown he's capable of something similar. The main concern is MacLeod being able to keep his all conflict is class warfare embedded in the blood political views out of a full length Culture book. Admittedly the Culture books/series meddle in that area but never go into full bore all conflict is class warfare territory that MacLeod repeatedly goes to in his novel sized works.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 29, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sundiver by David Brin: for the love of god stop writing women. Stop. Please.

The mystery so far isn't grabbing me and I'm kind of tempted to drop this, because it's just... it feels like Brin's aggressively throwing away anything interesting about the setting.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Started The Mask of the Sorcerer by Darrell Schweitzer. Not sure about it so far. A lot of crazy poo poo is constantly happening but the language is really straightforward and plain so it doesn't feel right. Sekenre has like no personality. I'm still pretty early and the central hook is interesting so I will keep going but I hope it gets more...unique? Better written?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

All we want is the title of Baru 3, we told you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

XBenedict posted:

Maybe Robert Jackson Bennett's Divine Cities trilogy? I think it will fit the space you're looking to fill.

I really enjoyed that trilogy. It was an interesting world and I liked the philosophical musings about life along the way.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I burned through the Low Town trilogy this month, after getting the first one in a kindle sale yonks ago and forgetting about it. It was enjoyable enough, low fantasy noir with an Excessively Competent Crime rear end in a top hat assholing wildly in all directions, getting beat to poo poo, but still piecing the puzzle together and having his plan come together in the end.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Jedit posted:

All we want is the title of Baru 3, we told you.

The Title Baru Cormorant.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Ben Nevis posted:

The Title Baru Cormorant.

New thread title.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
We all agree that the asterisk in the book finished post meant 'except for one word in the title', right?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
The Baru Cormorant.

The only thing I could find for what a Baru is was pictures of the island of Baru (or it's the extinct Australian crocodile).

Edit: The word Baru is Aboriginal and means "crocodile's ancestor".

I guess that kind of makes sense given the context. "crocodile's ancestor" "type of bird".

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The Baru Cormorant, The

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The Hot Mess Baru Cormorant

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Third Baru Cormorant

Edit: The Baru Cormorant titles so far have made me think of this tidbit:

quote:

The French newspapers which, in 1815, were subject to the censor, announced the departure of Bonaparte from Elba, his progress through France, and his entry into Paris in the following ingenious manner:

— 9th March, the Anthropophagus has quitted his den

— 10th, the Corsican Ogre has landed at Cape Juan

— 11th, the Tiger has arrived at Gap

— 12th, the Monster slept at Grenoble

— 13th, the Tyrant has passed through Lyons

— 14th, the Usurper is directing his steps towards Dijon, but the brave and loyal Burgundians have risen en masse and surrounded him on all sides

— 18th, Bonaparte is only sixty leagues from the capital; he has been fortunate enough to escape the hands of his pursuers

— 19th, Bonaparte is advancing with rapid steps, but he will never enter Paris

— 20th, Napoleon will, tomorrow, be under our ramparts

— 21st, the Emperor is at Fontainbleau

— 22nd, His Imperial and Royal Majesty, yesterday evening, arrived at the Tuileries, amidst the joyful acclamations of his devoted and faithful subjects.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 30, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ditched Sundiver because damnit, I deserve to read an actually good book, and that good book is Eon by Greg Bear.

I'm 70~ pages in and drat, this is so much better! Written about five years later and the gender politics are a billion times better. No sexism, just a really confusing asteroid.

The most interesting thing about this book so far however isn't the asteroid, it's the take on the Cold War in 2005. It... seems to have ended? But there's still definitely the NATO (America) VS Russia VS China triumvirate and those politics are heavily influencing who gets to study this asteroid. It's bizarre to have the US trust China more than Russia, when in the present day we're basically enemies with everyone. Also the idea that the government could keep a secret for over five years...

I can't think of anything I don't like about Eon so far. Good stuff.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Sibling of TB posted:

The Baru Cormorant.

The only thing I could find for what a Baru is was pictures of the island of Baru (or it's the extinct Australian crocodile).

The Island of Dr Baru

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Ascendant Baru C?

Hardcopy of that M John Harrison 1975 short story collection I have been lusting after arrived. Titular story is so English it required tea breaks during reading. Pretty amazing to see how M John Harrison evolved his writing style over time while MJH's inspiration, Michael Moorcock, reverted exceptionally hard.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

General Battuta posted:

I was listening to a sci-fi lit podcast when one host said that he read octavia butler's stuff as a kid and was so depressed by it he asked his mom if they could send her cookies to cheer her up

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Loutre posted:

Does Gibson's Spook Country get interesting at some point? I liked Pattern Recognition a lot, but I'm 25% through and I don't care about anyone or anything that's happening in this book.

Spook Country and Zero History are so firmly grounded in reality that they're barely "SciFi," not that it's a bad thing. I thought that it definitely ties it together towards the end, but I enjoyed the kind of low-key ride. It's a very, very different pacing from his earlier hard scifi.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Loutre posted:

Does Gibson's Spook Country get interesting at some point? I liked Pattern Recognition a lot, but I'm 25% through and I don't care about anyone or anything that's happening in this book.

I really liked all of those books but you might prefer skipping to The Peripheral, which at least is very plot driven.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I was also "Who the Hell is that?" until I googled him and realised it was the guy whose Ravens Mark books I really enjoyed and just listened to the audiobook of the first literally last week.

In my defence, being purely an e-reader now I practically never see the cover of a book I'm reading these days.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Even after a quick google I still had no idea who Ed McDonald was.

Now if there was buzz/rumors/allegations against Ed Greenwood being a sexpest, I would go "yeah not unlikely".
Greenwood is probably most famous for creating the Forgotten Realms setting, and for his Forgotten Realms character Gandalf the Grey Elminster(?), who is an author self-insert character in the finest Heinlein/Kage Baker tradition.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i wonder how much money all these guys that crank out like 8 milSF novels per year on kindle unlimited make

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

i wonder how much money all these guys that crank out like 8 milSF novels per year on kindle unlimited make

IIRC scuttlebutt back when he got kicked off Amazon was that Michel Scott-Earle was allegedly making "six figures" as the 5th biggest author on KU, but then he threw it all away by cheating his book lengths and hiring some service that pays people in Bangladesh or wherever to create tons of Kindle Unlimited trial accounts and then download your books and skip to the end so the author gets the "fully read" payment.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

Six figures monthly, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC scuttlebutt back when he got kicked off Amazon was that Michel Scott-Earle was allegedly making "six figures" as the 5th biggest author on KU, but then he threw it all away by cheating his book lengths and hiring some service that pays people in Bangladesh or wherever to create tons of Kindle Unlimited trial accounts and then download your books and skip to the end so the author gets the "fully read" payment.
Yeah, don't leave out the "monthly" in the six figures. The scuttlebutt was that he was making bank.