Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Canada is my white whale. I'm seeing how it could be good in theory. Once you get plant woods and hockey rinks you can settle a bunch of garbage land make it pretty and set up parks without the faith cost.

I just won my first religious victory with the new expansion....with Canada? My starting position would have been garbage for anyone else, but being able to farm tundra it worked (plus a volcano that made the land more fertile early gave me a huge early boost to my growth). I basically had a bit skinny empire that ran along the northern part of the continent then down the sloping east coast. I had 3 cities that France and Kongo settled next to me rebel and then come over to my side, and eventually I settled a thing on the west coast just to make a holy site and cut down on missionary travel time (then eventually another one on the second continent once I had a foothold). An apostle every other turn plus the governor with promotions to give them instant double promotions was just unstoppable.

I found it nice to not have to worry about surprise wars, my only battles the entire game were against barbarians. If I hadn't done religion, I could have easily finished with culture or diplomacy instead...I just realized how much faith I was generating from my choice of beliefs at one point and decided that was probably going to be easier and faster (though the Aztecs were a pain, I converted their entire civ twice, and each time a turn later 15,000 Apostles from their seemingly dead religion would appear).

Canada feels like one of those civs that just wants to avoid war, which is fine with me, and if you can keep everyone happy you shouldn't really have a hard time making a culture victory. Religion was a fluke because of a perfect storm of starting position and beliefs, my direct neighbor being Kongo and France being an easy first conversion target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's not that Canada is absolutely poo poo and ruins the game, it's just that they don't offer anything that other civs don't already do better.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah if I'm deliberately going for culture, I'm picking France. If I want science, I'm going Sweden or something. Canada just sort of does them all ok, which admittedly worked out well when I had to audible to another win con mid game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Taear posted:

It's not that Canada is absolutely poo poo and ruins the game, it's just that they don't offer anything that other civs don't already do better.

I remember reading a rant about how Venice in Civ5 was objectively worse than a blank civ with literally zero abilities. He was right, the various perks Venice gets do in no way make up for never getting a 2nd real city, but also wrong, in that by removing a large amount of options, Venice railroads players into making good choices. It's still a fan favorite and many people got their first Deity win with Venice.

It's interesting.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Serephina posted:

I remember reading a rant about how Venice in Civ5 was objectively worse than a blank civ with literally zero abilities. He was right, the various perks Venice gets do in no way make up for never getting a 2nd real city, but also wrong, in that by removing a large amount of options, Venice railroads players into making good choices. It's still a fan favorite and many people got their first Deity win with Venice.

It's interesting.

Venice was a good thing to have in the game just because it was the one civ with a truly different playstyle.

Would've been nice if it had had a few balance passes or if the AI knew how to play as them, but this is Firaxis we're talking about here.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Shh, don't start talking about factions with unique playstyles, next you'll be telling people go to play the Endless series you utter degenerate.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm more of a Paradox gamer these days.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taear posted:

CivFanatics now ranks it lower than Georgia, who everyone seemed to universally agree was the worst civ.
Poor Canada.

Uhh, what's their beef with Georgia? Double envoys and infinite golden ages are both the poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Uhh, what's their beef with Georgia? Double envoys and infinite golden ages are both the poo poo.

CivFanatics angles towards "winning the game as fast as possible" so if your civ is good at that - like Hungary - then they consider it really good. But if your Civ just has sort of....I dunno how to say it other than 'flavour' abilities that are nice but aren't game winning then they really don't rate you.

Serephina posted:

It's interesting.

There's a huge difference between a civ that's got unique mechanics like Venice and forces a specific playstyle and one where the playstyle is "if you're near some poo poo tiles they're a bit better than before but still mostly poo poo".

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 26, 2019

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Any tile Venice is on is a poo poo tile

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^you're a poo poo tile

Taear posted:

CivFanatics angles towards "winning the game as fast as possible" so if your civ is good at that - like Hungary - then they consider it really good. But if your Civ just has sort of....I dunno how to say it other than 'flavour' abilities that are nice but aren't game winning then they really don't rate you.

They do seem to like the Cree, who don't have any killer apps per se (compare their poo poo to Persia) but do have a lot of cool stuff that's fun to use.

The Cree are still one of my favorite civs. They should make Canada do good cool things instead of mediocre cool things, like the Cree. How about Canada gets a bunch of free tundra and snow whenever you settle near it, and all tundra and snow gets +1 appeal so you can settle more national parks? And give me a free diplo victory point when I research conservation or civil service or whatever.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ragnar34 posted:

They do seem to like the Cree, who don't have any killer apps per se (compare their poo poo to Persia) but do have a lot of cool stuff that's fun to use.

The Cree are still one of my favorite civs. They should make Canada do good cool things instead of mediocre cool things, like the Cree. How about Canada gets a bunch of free tundra and snow whenever you settle near it, and all tundra and snow gets +1 appeal so you can settle more national parks? And give me a free diplo victory point when I research conservation or civil service or whatever.

Cree bonuses come into play as soon as you get a trader, and you get one free with Pottery, possibly 5 turns from game start, unique improvement is also solid throughout the game. So you just use those and snowball into prosperity from early era, compared to Canada that has surprise war protection and nothing else worthwhile until industrial era (sure they can build farms in the tundra, but the tundra output is still bad). Even getting a surprise war isn't too bad if you can win and turn those 150 grievances into 3-4 taken cities.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Canada's strength is that they don't need to compete for a religion and human players can't get the drop on you. It's actual advantages are kind of invisible and more about reliability, getting pushed into the tundra is salvageable.

But softening bad outcomes isn't a sexy ability.

I think they "do more" than Georgia. Which if you ask me basically doesn't have abilities at all.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

Cree bonuses come into play as soon as you get a trader, and you get one free with Pottery, possibly 5 turns from game start, unique improvement is also solid throughout the game. So you just use those and snowball into prosperity from early era, compared to Canada that has surprise war protection and nothing else worthwhile until industrial era (sure they can build farms in the tundra, but the tundra output is still bad). Even getting a surprise war isn't too bad if you can win and turn those 150 grievances into 3-4 taken cities.

Yea, they start off doing their stuff which means it's easy to get a big win early with them.

It's a viewpoint that's anathema to me, I tend not to try to be winning really early, I just want to found my civilization and have it look pretty. But it says a lot to me that Sumer is their strongest civ, absolutely the most effective at early game wins.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It's not just about "winning the game early", it's the fact that early advantages build into late game advantages. The sooner you get a benefit, the sooner you can leverage it into more stuff, which in turn you can leverage into even more stuff, and so on. Civilization has pretty much always operated on this principle, which is why late game advantages are typically not seen as being as valuable as early game advantages, all else being equal. This is often referred to as "snowballing". It's something that's inherent to a strategy game, which inevitably cannot have too many "catch-up" mechanics because they often conflict with rewarding good planning. If you've played well for the first 50 turns it can feel lame to have another Civ artificially boosted up to your level, especially if they didn't have the resources or planning that you had. It makes you question what the point of having a strategy and acquiring resources is if it can't be leveraged into an obvious advantage (this is my primary problem with Civ V, incidentally)?

There's a little more to it than that when it comes to like Georgia though. Especially when playing at higher difficulties, both religion and city-states can be seen as unreliable systems. Georgia relies on having a religion, but you're not guaranteed a religion and Georgia doesn't have anything that helps you get it before others. Georgia has city-state bonuses, but city-state selection can be somewhat random and the advantages you get from them can vary greatly from game to game.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 27, 2019

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGvjflXi3uE
They're removing science and culture yields from pillaging (except for Norway) and halving the pillage yield modifiers from policies, and upgrading units is being made more expensive. Also a bunch of climate change/disaster stuff and some leader/civ changes.

Upgrade costs being nerfed seems long overdue, and should help the AI halfway resemble a threat later on. Pillaging being hilariously overpowered was funny, but obviously should be fixed.

Anyone know if the base game and R&F will get an update or just GS?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Staltran posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGvjflXi3uE
They're removing science and culture yields from pillaging (except for Norway) and halving the pillage yield modifiers from policies, and upgrading units is being made more expensive. Also a bunch of climate change/disaster stuff and some leader/civ changes.

Upgrade costs being nerfed seems long overdue, and should help the AI halfway resemble a threat later on. Pillaging being hilariously overpowered was funny, but obviously should be fixed.

I can't get my head around them choosing to do that announcement as a video instead of actual regular patch notes. Why??

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Taear posted:

I can't get my head around them choosing to do that announcement as a video instead of actual regular patch notes. Why??

I'm sure there will be patch notes when the patch is released.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Aww man, Maori nerf makes me sad. It makes sense, but I was having fun with them.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm on phone what is actually in the patch???

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

welcome to 2019, it is awful

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
angry old man screams at cloud

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Uhh please phrase your memes in the form of a gif so I can understand it

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm on phone what is actually in the patch???

More comprehensive list than what was mentioned before:

• Natural Disaster and Climate Change Updates:
    • Reduce Blizzard damage and now occasionally adds food to the map
    • Reduce overly-generous yields from Dust Storms
    • Natural Disaster setting no longer tied to climate change....if you crank that up for more storms and volcanoes, it doesn't accelerate climate change anymore
    • C02 emissions from Military Units cut in half, further reduction with Advanced Power Cells tech
    • Number of coastal tiles that can flood increased from 35% to 45%
    • Global temp change increases chances of storms even further, especially the most intense ones like Cat 5 hurricanes
    • Added desertification mechanic that decreases tile yields as global temps rise. At stage 4, no more added fertility from disasters. At stages 5+ storms start to strip off yields instead.
  • Civilization Updates
    • Maori culture yield from Marae nerfed from +2 to +1
    • Toa unit nerfed to 36 strength, war dance buff no longer stacks
    • Hungarian upgrade ability nerfed from 100% to 75% for both gold and resources
    • Canada gets a buff of +1 production on snow and tundra tiles
    • India's missionaries get 5 spreads instead of 3
    • India gets +1 Amenity for each religion present in a city and extra religious pressure along their trade routes
    • Varu combat buff stacking also removed to match the Maori nerf, but their maintenance was reduced to 2 to compensate
    • China's Great Wall improvement can no longer by removed by natural disasters
    • Dutch get a production bonus toward flood barriers and dams
    • Chateau, Sphinx, Mission, and Great Wall get buffs
  • Balance and Quality of Life Updates
    • Climate Accords competition now allows projects for decommissioning power plants
    • Excessive C02 emissions now reduce your favor per turn and score in aid requests
    • Having too many grievances reduces your favor per turn, and being at war with the target of an aid requests reduces your score in that competition
    • Improving Jersey System to make colors more distinguishable
    • Improvements to AI's deal offers, including stopping them from making the same deal offers repeatedly
    • More even distribution of barbarian encampments
    • City states have more defenses on higher difficulty
    • Play by cloud lobby filters out finished games
    • Panama Canal now gives +10 gold
    • Mahabodi Temple awards +1 Diplomatic Victory Point
    • Reduced cost on Naturalists
    • Increased the cost of upgrading units
    • Effectiveness of Raid and Total War policies reduced 50%
    • Pillaging improvements no longer provides science and culture, except for Norway, the explanation for which contained the phrase "pillage-based economy" which is hilarious

They're also adding updates that aren't exclusive to the new expansion....

• Added "Map Tacks" mod as an official feature
  • New map search feature that allows you to find units, resources, etc. (loving FINALLY!) which also stores your most frequent searches in a history for even faster searching
  • Making progress on the world builder tool

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Considering how good pillaging science/culture was I think that actually makes Norway quite strong. The climate change buffing storms a lot more was something I'd already done in a personal tweaks mod, so I obviously support that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Climate Change tweaks all sound good. Not as good as they could be, but good.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Magil Zeal posted:

Considering how good pillaging science/culture was I think that actually makes Norway quite strong. The climate change buffing storms a lot more was something I'd already done in a personal tweaks mod, so I obviously support that.

I think the text shown also says Norway gets science/culture in addition to gold, so it will be even stronger. K'm on mobile now so can't quite make out the text to confirm but I'm pretty sure.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Staltran posted:

I think the text shown also says Norway gets science/culture in addition to gold, so it will be even stronger. K'm on mobile now so can't quite make out the text to confirm but I'm pretty sure.

Text says "science in addition to gold from mines" and "culture in addition to faith from quarries, camps, pastures and plantations." Dunno if that means they stripped the science/culture from pillaging districts entirely, or if that's still available to everyone.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Can military engineers do automated railroads yet?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Can military engineers do automated railroads yet?

I wouldn't expect this anytime soon, it took Firaxis two expansions to get to the production queue. As much as I want this feature.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 29, 2019

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Wow these are great changes.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I really don't like the unit upgrade nerf; upgrading units already costs a lot as you go up the tree. Fix the AI to keep units close to home and encourage them to upgrade when able, instead of making it even more obnoxious to keep old units around.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Aerdan posted:

I really don't like the unit upgrade nerf; upgrading units already costs a lot as you go up the tree. Fix the AI to keep units close to home and encourage them to upgrade when able, instead of making it even more obnoxious to keep old units around.

Upgrading units has been a lot better than straight-up building new units for quite a while, especially with the discount card.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

China is no longer secretly OP and is now brazenly OP.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Nice to see them finally adding a World Builder feature. I'm sure that'll be especially nice for multiplayer sessions.

Funny that they nerfed the chateau yet called it a buff, unless having 3+ wonders near a river is somehow going to be much easier.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

That update sounds awesome.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

So is this update live?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Magil Zeal posted:

Upgrading units has been a lot better than straight-up building new units for quite a while, especially with the discount card.

Honestly, I think upgrading should be better than production, simply from a usability perspective. The optimal strategy being "disband your army and rebuild it every upgrade" is a straight-up UX nightmare.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I just won my first religious victory with the new expansion....with Canada? My starting position would have been garbage for anyone else, but being able to farm tundra it worked (plus a volcano that made the land more fertile early gave me a huge early boost to my growth). I basically had a bit skinny empire that ran along the northern part of the continent then down the sloping east coast. I had 3 cities that France and Kongo settled next to me rebel and then come over to my side, and eventually I settled a thing on the west coast just to make a holy site and cut down on missionary travel time (then eventually another one on the second continent once I had a foothold). An apostle every other turn plus the governor with promotions to give them instant double promotions was just unstoppable.

I found it nice to not have to worry about surprise wars, my only battles the entire game were against barbarians. If I hadn't done religion, I could have easily finished with culture or diplomacy instead...I just realized how much faith I was generating from my choice of beliefs at one point and decided that was probably going to be easier and faster (though the Aztecs were a pain, I converted their entire civ twice, and each time a turn later 15,000 Apostles from their seemingly dead religion would appear).

Canada feels like one of those civs that just wants to avoid war, which is fine with me, and if you can keep everyone happy you shouldn't really have a hard time making a culture victory. Religion was a fluke because of a perfect storm of starting position and beliefs, my direct neighbor being Kongo and France being an easy first conversion target.

I won my first with Canada via science... but only because I couldn't get over the Diplo hump and get that 10th point. Set up the map to have more snow so I felt properly juiced and only had one war with a neighbor the whole game. And I like hockey personally so... lots of hockey culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Tom Tucker posted:

So is this update live?

It'll likely be a couple weeks, at least.