Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

FulsomFrank posted:

Rahdo is aggravating.

Ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
For use in future engine building discussions

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

DogCop posted:

Perfection :swoon:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
What's the opinion on Wingspan by the way? I searched the thread and there seems to be one opinion that it's light but gorgeous, and that it's impossible to find (as confirmed when I called my board game store and they said to expect a second printing in June)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

RoboCicero posted:

What's the opinion on Wingspan by the way? I searched the thread and there seems to be one opinion that it's light but gorgeous, and that it's impossible to find (as confirmed when I called my board game store and they said to expect a second printing in June)

I thought it was boring but I don't like any of his games so :shrug:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

If it’s a midweight euro with rave reviews immediately on release, you can bet that no one has really played it enough times to know if it’s actually any good.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig is not my favorite kind of game (low volatility point salad) - but the shared castle gimmick makes it tends towards "super chill". The manual has a lot of pages, but the actual rules are super quick to explain.

And we unboxed it, punched it, and played a game within an hour.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Mayveena posted:

I thought it was boring but I don't like any of his games so :shrug:

Jamie didn't actually design it, fwiw.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

DogCop posted:

Terraforming Mars isn't an engine builder, and trying to play it as one is why people think it's too long. it's a race.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Most engine builders are a race. Having a tight and efficient tableau that lets you pump end game stuff is still an engine.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Most engine builders are a race. Having a tight and efficient tableau that lets you pump end game stuff is still an engine.

Right, which is why I lose so many of them, my engine is too slow.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SoftNum posted:

Jamie didn't actually design it, fwiw.

Yeah, but it feels like the rest of the games he’s published, devoid of interesting decisions. Naturally my opinion.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I've enjoyed the games of Wingspan I've played and I plan to use it as a reference to get newer players into games focused on point scoring. Its fine for what it is and the lovely presentation helps to smooth over some of the rough edges. Playing with 5 was slow going, that was with 4 new players with 2 of those regularly waiting for it to be their turn before they started planning though. It took 2 and a half hours including rules, definitely should've taken half that time.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Redundant posted:

I've enjoyed the games of Wingspan I've played and I plan to use it as a reference to get newer players into games focused on point scoring. Its fine for what it is and the lovely presentation helps to smooth over some of the rough edges. Playing with 5 was slow going, that was with 4 new players with 2 of those regularly waiting for it to be their turn before they started planning though. It took 2 and a half hours including rules, definitely should've taken half that time.

Do you think it could be a quick playing 2-player game? My girlfriend and I like the theme but I just don't want to grab it and burn out after six games because it isn't deep enough.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

This. Also good engine builder games end just when someone cobbles together the “perfect” engine, due to the fact that it’s still a race. I remember reading complaints that splendor ends just when the engine is built. That’s the point. Assembling the engine is more satisfying than building it. If you want to see an engine run nicely, you should be playing 18xx because it has a relentless train rush so there’s still a tempo and pressure to the game even when everyone’s solidified their paths.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm an unapologetic Stonemaier fangirl and have been loving Wingspan. It's definitely a lighter engine builder and it tends to be very "make the best of what you draw" for most of it's decision making, but I have a lot of fun with it and it's a great gateway.

I've got 9 plays of it in since I got my copy. Definitely getting my value out of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
One of the many genius design decisions of Race for the Galaxy was that the game ends quickly if someone goes for a fast settle/develop strategy OR a victory point engine. Poor game design would let the latter just pump points until someone else triggers the first endgame condition, but RftG, Food Chain Magnate, and other engine builders I like always funnel towards a set endgame one way or another.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The more I play Wingspan the more I find that it's a race between players collecting sets and players generating eggs. Round goals are usually built around collecting certain kinds of birds and hidden goal cards can end up determining the game, but then again you can generate a lot of eggs if you set your mind to it. As someone whose preferred RftG strategy is collecting sets and using Explore cards and trading to cycle through the deck to find the relevant scoring developments, it fits my playstyle pretty well.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Quinns is straight up telling people they're not real gamers unless they back 150$ kickstarters. I guess the pro-consumer sentiment was Paul's.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 29, 2019

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

discount cathouse posted:

Quinns is straight up telling people they're not real gamers unless they back 150$ kickstarters. I guess the pro-consumer sentiment was Paul's.

Remember when they shat on Scythe primarily because it was an example of Kickstarter excess?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Too bad that excess didn't include original art.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

What game?

I stopped following SUSD once Paul left permanently.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He's gone mad over a Werewolf with bits on called Blood on the Clocktower, a social deduction game where you can never know anything for sure. No really, he said that in a positive way.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

That they went on the record saying that an unpublished prototype of a game is their favorite board game ever made me much less likely to ever buy it. The fact is that there will probably be a Blood on the Clocktower app published in the next few years (maybe even by a Kickstarter), and that app will cost 5-20 dollars for a superior product.

M a x posted:

Too bad that excess didn't include original art.

That's the thing that gets me. It's all public domain art!

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 29, 2019

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Quinns is straight up telling people they're not real gamers unless they back 150$ kickstarters.

I just watched the Blood on the Clocktower video, and certainly didn't see that sentiment anywhere. Are you referring to something else?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Merauder posted:

I just watched the Blood on the Clocktower video, and certainly didn't see that sentiment anywhere. Are you referring to something else?

Quinns literally says "if you care about this hobby" price will have no object.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What's Paul doing and can we get him an account

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
We played Unearth again last night, that was fun. It feels like Splendor with a few more mechanisms which is great. We were laughing the first time we played because the rule book seems overloaded with keywords, but play can be pretty smooth when everybody gets it, there isn’t THAT much to remember.

We also wound up playing half a game of Troika, which has the same keyword mania, but to much less satisfying ends. This game stinks.

Somebody wanted to play Monopoly, which I was into, but other folks in the group had a visceral reaction against. I guess it’s just beyond stale for some people.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

pospysyl posted:

That's a significantly different sentiment.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

pospysyl posted:

Same but for mega civilization.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

pospysyl posted:

On it's own I might have moved past that comment but the entire review felt weird.The timing of it to coincide with the KS, calling it their favourite game ever, the comment that was basically "this might be your only chance to get this sort of game" and the weird run through of components to prove that actually £100 is a bargain made it all feel like an advert more than a review. Maybe I am being cynical and they just really loved the game, but it left me feeling less interested in backing it than I was before :shrug:

FulsomFrank posted:

Do you think it could be a quick playing 2-player game? My girlfriend and I like the theme but I just don't want to grab it and burn out after six games because it isn't deep enough.
You could probably get the game time down to 45 minutes to an hour pretty easily. Maybe even quicker? I would need to play more to figure it out. As for the depth, it is a pretty light weight game and you can be limited by the card draw, but at the same time there are a bunch of round scoring options and bonus cards to work with and the bird cards provide a lot of different ways to approach that scoring so games are fairly varied.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

admanb posted:

That's a significantly different sentiment.

In what sense?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I was intrigued when Quinns called it his favorite game ever but when they started describing the game and it was clear it was a werewolf clone I tuned out. Quinns gets incredibly invested in these kinds of games and then burns out on them. Happened with the Resistance and 2 rooms and a boom already just based on what I've gleaned from listening to the first couple podcast eps.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Man Finca is pretty drat good. It has that great dance between pursuing your own points without setting up other players too much that Santiago does so well and the the way the rondel works is really neat/satisfying to operate. You need players at 3p/4p who are paying attention instead of just blindly fulfilling contracts but if you have a group who's used to say like Santiago or even Chicago Express it works quite well. I wouldn't call it cutthroat but it's surprisingly competitive.

Maybe could get a little AP with the wrong crowd (because of the constant rondel interaction your best laid plans will change very quickly).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 29, 2019

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
All social games with no falsifiable information are just complex charades and/or improv games, leavened with the ability to be more or less of a dick.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Impermanent posted:

All social games with no falsifiable information are just complex charades and/or improv games, leavened with the ability to be more or less of a dick.

Watch out guys we got a badass over here

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oh really you think i'm the badass? That's exactly what a badass would say. steve is always the badass. guys, let's vote steve out this time. :everyone laughs hysterically in agreement at this fun joke:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Impermanent posted:

oh really you think i'm the badass? That's exactly what a badass would say. steve is always the badass. guys, let's vote steve out this time. :everyone laughs hysterically in agreement at this fun joke:

That's exactly what a Steve would say.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

drat I hate Steve so much, yes that’s right, I hate you, random person called Steve reading this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

drat I hate Steve so much, yes that’s right, I hate you, random person called Steve reading this post
Wow, feeling pretty glad I'm not named Steve rn