Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Desfore posted:

Hey, just a quick question. I've mostly just been into the painting side of the hobby, but I'm kinda wanting to dip my toe into actually playing against people. The one thing I'm a bit worried about is, how strict do people get about painting your detachments different colors? I know painting everything one way is lovely cause you can't tell the different clans/legions/whatever apart, but I kinda want a consistent color scheme to my army. So, would something like painting the rims of the bases different colors be okay (or the full bases themselves, I don't really care), or should I just stick to one Clan for the entire Army?

Different colored rims is more effort than most players put in, frankly. Unless you're playing in a top tier tournament, you'll end up facing armies that aren't fully painted, much less distinguished that way within the army. Set your expectations low on how much the Play side of the Play v Paint 40k spectrum cares about painting.

Which isn't to say that you shouldn't make the effort. By all means, it shows you're a more conscientious player than most. Just don't be shocked when your beautiful well painted dudes find themselves matched up against bare plastic and metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

I'm planning on a unified painting scheme and just 3D printing small tokens to place with the squads.

As long as it's obvious. My first instinct when the same units show up in multiple detachments painted identically is to suspect that some bullshit is about to go down

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

As long as it's obvious. My first instinct when the same units show up in multiple detachments painted identically is to suspect that some bullshit is about to go down

Yeah I haven't designed them yet, but they will be upright, snap to the unit leader's base and will be different colours. Should be pretty obvious.

edit: Like this but taller: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3398212

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

TKIY posted:

I'm planning on a unified painting scheme and just 3D printing small tokens to place with the squads.

This is what I want to do at some point.

Something like this from thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2071698

I want to be able to adjust different squad sizes and special weapon combinations and still tell the groups apart for the rules.

I'm kinda surprised GW doesn't sell something for this purpose.

edit: Somewhere I saw a really cool printable set that was designed to be magnetized and had a connector piece to easily group units together.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Broken Record Talk posted:

Was a fluff reason given for Havocs increasing to T5? Seems like a kind of odd choice to me.

Only the most thicc of chaos are allowed to carry heavy weapons

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Desfore posted:

Hey, just a quick question. I've mostly just been into the painting side of the hobby, but I'm kinda wanting to dip my toe into actually playing against people. The one thing I'm a bit worried about is, how strict do people get about painting your detachments different colors? I know painting everything one way is lovely cause you can't tell the different clans/legions/whatever apart, but I kinda want a consistent color scheme to my army. So, would something like painting the rims of the bases different colors be okay (or the full bases themselves, I don't really care), or should I just stick to one Clan for the entire Army?

If you have no way to differentiate visually based off of the model, you can buy cheap coloured hair elastics and hang them off the weapons if it's a problem.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Broken Record Talk posted:

Was a fluff reason given for Havocs increasing to T5? Seems like a kind of odd choice to me.

Had to have something to make up for the lack of cherub. Move and shoot probably would have been fine, but they were somewhat worse than devastators before.

Terminators or warp talons or something at t5 would have made more sense, but at least this makes havocs worth taking. Hopefully they take this as a model for "if we can't have Primaris CSM, they can get +1T instead"

DG players will want something other than a 5+++ then, but really, move and shoot heavy, t5, 5+++ is probably fine at their point cost anyway

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. I kinda felt weird, fluff-wise, dividing my army into different subfactions, even if it's necessary to min-max the gameplay. I saw things like those colored rim-clips for tabletop RPGs before, that's why I thought of painting the rims of the bases. Plus I figured, if I'm going to experiment with different lists and stuff, I'd rather repaint all the bases different colors than repainting the actual models (or buying more).

Desfore fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 29, 2019

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Have they released point costs for the chain gun things? Hopefully they’re cheaper than las cannons 🙃

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

fashionly snort posted:

Have they released point costs for the chain gun things? Hopefully they’re cheaper than las cannons 🙃

People have been saying they're 20.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
If they snuck in the whole CSM range becoming T5 that would go a long way to help, otherwise only having Havocs at T5 is an odd buff. Not that I mind, just a weird design choice.

Make all CSM T5 to account for living through 10,000+ years of warp terrors.

Then make DG T6 :unsmigghh:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What do they call Tyranids in French

Hordes Devours

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

goose willis posted:

Hordes Devours

On that subject, Death Guard weapon names in Italian fuckin' rule.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Has there been any talk of new posessed marine models yet? The new exalted posessed are so awesome compared to the goofy looking possessed kit.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I remember the spanish codex name for The Swarmlord being pretty awesome but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jadebullet posted:

Has there been any talk of new posessed marine models yet? The new exalted posessed are so awesome compared to the goofy looking possessed kit.

Get gal Vorbak instead

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

jadebullet posted:

Nothing, and no photos of new possessed models in the codex based on YouTube videos by reviewers with early copies.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DO IT TO IT posted:

I remember the spanish codex name for The Swarmlord being pretty awesome but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

In German it was der Schwarmführer.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Just thinking about this because way back when I built a ton of 30k marines with bolters and chainswords, what PA units have that option anymore?

I know there's Chaos Chosen. Probably something Wolves have. Death Company?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Had another game using my Black legion, ran most as Mark of Slannesh in honour of new the releases.

'Slannesh Patrol' took some heavy loses though. After their perfect and sublime engagement with Imperial guard forces, the Space wolves '13th Company' moved in to combat them.

Sadly the Daemon Prince Warlord 'Ozebawn' was banished back to the warp early when a group of Wulfen with Thunder hammers bitched out and would not try some of his Elixer/ 'bag of assorted powders' (some people need to live a little?)

The original 'Slannesh patrol' 20 man CSM unit managed to power through and survive (though only a five solid members managed to keep the buzz going to the end). It helped that they had a chaos sorcerer giving them that good Slannesh Psychic power goodness, helped with the FNP. Sadly said sorcerer 'dealer' met the business end of a power fist (not in a good way, but in a murder kind of way)

Sadly though, the Space Wolves kept killing the buzz and won with a VP score of 15-12.

My undivided warpsmith, sick of all the party boys bull crap, actually got some work done and murdered the Wolf Lord. Sick of all the Slanneshy marines talking shite (being the only sober one at the party) he then grabbed his Defiler and a near by unit of oblits and havocs, and escaped to fight another day.

Top moment: Murderfang met the business end of a pair of Defiler claws.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

goose willis posted:

Hordes Devours

I hate this

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DO IT TO IT posted:

I think it had Hombre in it

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
SEÑOR DE LA HORDA

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
LE CUCAROCHA

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

SEÑOR DE LA HORDA

Yesss this was it!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If I get some new chaos marines and paint them Nightlords will they gel ok with my DG and Tsons? Basically there's nothing stopping me running three detachments in a 2000 point game right? I think it will be fun having anvil nurgle dudes and then wizards and psychos delivering pain.

Mainly they are and have been fun to paint and I think they'll look cool on the table as long as they can ride together (and without a doubt die together and lose).

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Der Waffle Mous posted:

SEÑOR DE LA HORDA

Cue a dramatic trumpet solo followed by a whip crack.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Foul Ole Ron posted:

'Slannesh Patrol'

Slannol Patrol

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

If I get some new chaos marines and paint them Nightlords will they gel ok with my DG and Tsons? Basically there's nothing stopping me running three detachments in a 2000 point game right? I think it will be fun having anvil nurgle dudes and then wizards and psychos delivering pain.

Mainly they are and have been fun to paint and I think they'll look cool on the table as long as they can ride together (and without a doubt die together and lose).

This is cool and good do it my man.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

On that subject, Death Guard weapon names in Italian fuckin' rule.

Dark Imperium didn't do well in Italy, but maybe that's because they translated the title to "Your Mother Has A Hairy Back".

Yep, it's me, the guy who references The Critic over 20 years after it was taken off the air.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
So for the first time in several years I started painting again, and decided to start with one marine to see how much I had lost. It's better than I thought it would be but still not awesome- it's been a while and I'm trying to figure out what exactly the color scheme needs. It feels like it's missing something to make it pop. Could it be too much silver, or not enough shading on it? . I tried shading the recesses with a light glaze of blue, but it doesn't seem to have worked out as well as I thought.

The bone was definitely not what I was trying for, but I think I finally figured how to do bone again.

The red needs some more work, if it isn't the silver could it be that it needs to be darker in the recesses?

I was trying for Word Bearers if it helps. The basing experiment with a blue glow from below the cracked earth didn't pan out as well either. Does anyone have any pointers?

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 30, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Yep, it's me, the guy who references The Critic over 20 years after it was taken off the air.

:frogon:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

GW every month or so: Buy my BOOK! Buy my BOOK! BUY MY BOOK!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kinetica posted:

So for the first time in several years I started painting again, and decided to start with one marine to see how much I had lost. It's better than I thought it would be but still not awesome- it's been a while and I'm trying to figure out what exactly the color scheme needs. It feels like it's missing something to make it pop. Could it be too much silver, or not enough shading on it? . I tried shading the recesses with a light glaze of blue, but it doesn't seem to have worked out as well as I thought.

The bone was definitely not what I was trying for, but I think I finally figured how to do bone again.

The red needs some more work, if it isn't the silver could it be that it needs to be darker in the recesses?

I was trying for Word Bearers if it helps. The basing experiment with a blue glow from below the cracked earth didn't pan out as well either. Does anyone have any pointers?
]

I like him, but if you want to make it pop, I'd highlight the power armor a little (pauldrons, top of the pack, gauntlets) to make the red stand out then see how you feel.

The base may need more gel to give to extra depth in the cracks if you want the blue to show through. Most of us swear by Vallejo basing products, and their cracked earth really looks like mud flats

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I am wondering how should I expand my Primaris Deathwatch next. Here's what I have now:

Watch Master
Primaris Captain
15 Intercessors (3 Sergeants with power swords)
3 Aggressors
5 Hellblasters
3 Plasma Inceptors

I'm working on four assassins and then probably doing 5 more Hellblasters along with magnetizing the Sergeants for power fists. What should I work on next? I had a few ideas, and I have the models for everything below but the third Librarian:

Get another 5 Hellblasters so I can field 3 Fortis Kill Teams.

Build three Primaris Librarians (two regular, one Phobos) for a Supreme Command detachment. DA and Space Wolves have some powers that dovetail really well with the Phobos powers.

Build a few more Primaris Captains using the 35th Anniversary Sergeant and the Store Anniversary Captain.

Redemptor Dreadnought.

Make a Rusty 17 as the foundation for AdMech.

Paint the 9 Aggressors and 3 more Inceptors because I hate myself.

Work on the Phobos units in the hopes of DW getting them, or as a separate detachment.

Jesus that's a lot of gray plastic.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Death Company?

Yes

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I am wondering how should I expand my Primaris Deathwatch next.

Astraeus

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
This is stupid. I can't seem to update this thread (and only this one) on the awful app. Have been reading about Senora das hombres the swarmlord for the past few hours.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The worst possible answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I am wondering how should I expand my Primaris Deathwatch next.

Come on, aggressors aren't that bad to paint. Nice big armor panels that make edge highlighting straightforward.

Myself, I've got a gravis captain basecoated and washed, so a few more hours and he'll be done. Hopefully by then my copy of Shadowspear will have arrived, and I can start converting the Supressors to look less silly and paint them. After that I think I'll take a break from red and cream and get some spiky bois going for a change of pace. Then maybe my redemptor. Maybe also do this?

I very much think Deathwatch will get the Phobos guys once the multipart kits come out.