Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Final Fantasy VII ends with the ultimate environmentalist message: nothing you do matters, in the end everything collapses and dies, and Red XIII will always be around to pee on what remains of your civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

As for capitalism, the old guard of Shinra are pretty much comically evil assholes, sure, but what happens to Shinra after they're all killed off? Rufus and Reeve transform the company into the World Regenesis Organization, but they still are effectively the world government. The system isn't abolished, just made greener. It's still an improvement, but it's not like they're giving healthcare and food stamps to everyone in Midgar.

nothing that happens in the EU counts

the epilogue of FFVII shows midgar abandoned and overcome with greenery, which is a much clearer message

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

GimmickMan posted:

Consider that Barret's backstory involves the closing of a coal mine to replace it with a mako reactor, and this is seen as a bad thing because a whole bunch of people lost their jobs. Furthermore, mako reactors are prone to explosions that cause catastrophic destruction and loss of life. From this we can infer that mako reactors are not fossil fuels, but nuclear energy.

Yes, mako reactors drain the remains of living beings from the planet to make electricity, but you've got to keep in mind that what is getting extracted aren't the dead fossilized corpses of living beings but their souls. Japan is very animist and FFVII draws from that in the same way that Mononoke Hime does. It's "spiritpunk" more than "cyberpunk".

It's kind of hilarious that in the EU, they had Barrett find an oil field and become an oil baron to replace the use of Mako. Like way to completely miss the environmentalism point.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The worst thing about the eu is how much of it has melded with the actual game in my mind

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The pretty great LP in the archive really helped show how different the original is to the EU poo poo.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When that FF 7 remake comes out I hope they don't include any of that EU stuff.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

When that FF 7 remake comes out I hope they don't include any of that EU stuff.

They're going to lean in on the EU stuff so hard.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like that FF7 remake has at this point been silently canceled, unless there's been something new recently that I haven't heard about, but a Google search isn't turning up anything other than a clickbait article from a few days ago.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

I said come in! posted:

I feel like that FF7 remake has at this point been silently canceled, unless there's been something new recently that I haven't heard about, but a Google search isn't turning up anything other than a clickbait article from a few days ago.

They brought it internal last year (it was being farmed out to Cyberconnect2) and Nomura is now directly leading the thing after KH3 got out the door. So something is still going on unless you think they just black-holed it so publicly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My memories of the original Strange Journey are spotty - far moreso than I realized before I played SJR - but the level of QoL improvements are staggering. Like, in the original game, you needed a Sub App to see enemy elemental affinities. That is just something that should be automatic and universal. Having to always remember who is weak to what or repels what gets frustrating, especially since it is not even consistent from game to game. (Although a fond memory of mine is when I killed myself with a Tornado in Nocturne because an enemy at the Obelisk repelled Force attacks.) And of course that is just the tip of the iceberg in all the new gameplay additions.

Combined with the voice-acting, Strange Journey Redux is just the definitive version of the game I can't imagine the original Strange Journey being played by anyone now. I guess if you really hate Alex? But even then just don't side with her.

Speaking of which, I just beat Asura and got to Sector E This is Ouroboros, right? I will be interested to see how much I've improved as an SMT player. She was a nightmare originally. Anyway, back to Alex and story stuff. SJ has more personality and plot than I gave it credit for in my memory. It certainly has more plot and gives its characters more focus than Nocturne did. I'm also kinda curious about when I will actually learn about Alex in the game itself. I know all the details from forums like this but not much has happened with her in the game apart from beating me up.

The new art and voice-acting has really helped turn me around on Jimenez, too. Couldn't stand him originally.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

FF7 remake might as well not exist. Just erase it from your memory, and don't get your hopes up when any other final fantasy related news pops up in the future.

Meanwhile we can place our hopes on reliable studios, and get hype for P5 royal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Meanwhile we can place our hopes on reliable studios, and get hype for P5 royal.

haha

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would sooner give FF7 Remake the benefit of the doubt than I'm going to give Atlus, especially with the 3 months of bad teasers and announcements of announcements

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Atlus and S-E are interesting to compare for this, because their approaches are essentially opposites. Atlus does an updated re-release fairly shortly after the original release, has their fun, and moves on. S-E tries to make a big deal out of their remakes, and then holds to their work afterwards, probably in part because it was so much work.

I personally prefer Atlus' approach, but that's because I value preservation and respect what they attempt more often; an Atlus revamp's new content is usually bound to the story and provides some new perspective or furthering of concepts, but even if you don't like them, it's usually the original that they retain as the 'true version' and re-release further down the track, even if they keep ideas from those revamps it typically only appears in spinoffs. S-E's updates are all mostly mechanical and new content is never really tied to the story (which I also like in certain cases), but those updates then become 'canon', the most recent version of a game is the one they constantly re-release. So you'd better like those changes, because they're staying.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cleretic posted:

Atlus and S-E are interesting to compare for this, because their approaches are essentially opposites. Atlus does an updated re-release fairly shortly after the original release, has their fun, and moves on. S-E tries to make a big deal out of their remakes, and then holds to their work afterwards, probably in part because it was so much work.

I personally prefer Atlus' approach, but that's because I value preservation and respect what they attempt more often; an Atlus revamp's new content is usually bound to the story and provides some new perspective or furthering of concepts, but even if you don't like them, it's usually the original that they retain as the 'true version' and re-release further down the track, even if they keep ideas from those revamps it typically only appears in spinoffs. S-E's updates are all mostly mechanical and new content is never really tied to the story (which I also like in certain cases), but those updates then become 'canon', the most recent version of a game is the one they constantly re-release. So you'd better like those changes, because they're staying.

Oddly Square use to do the Atlus approach in the PS1 and PS2 era, with VII, X, and XII getting improvements in the US localization, then re-release in Japan with even more features. Usually not new story content, but some pretty hefty things like a overhaul leveling system in X and XII. Think with XV they tried to do it by adding more to the game over time and then doing a GotY/Re-release with more stuff, but it still has issues in pacing on later chapters, and some story content got cancelled like the last three dlcs.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Until late in the PS3 era and now with all the bundles and rereleases, the situation with the first three KH Final Mixes was pretty annoying for global fans.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

My memories of the original Strange Journey are spotty - far moreso than I realized before I played SJR - but the level of QoL improvements are staggering. Like, in the original game, you needed a Sub App to see enemy elemental affinities. That is just something that should be automatic and universal. Having to always remember who is weak to what or repels what gets frustrating, especially since it is not even consistent from game to game. (Although a fond memory of mine is when I killed myself with a Tornado in Nocturne because an enemy at the Obelisk repelled Force attacks.) And of course that is just the tip of the iceberg in all the new gameplay additions.

Combined with the voice-acting, Strange Journey Redux is just the definitive version of the game I can't imagine the original Strange Journey being played by anyone now. I guess if you really hate Alex? But even then just don't side with her.

Speaking of which, I just beat Asura and got to Sector E This is Ouroboros, right? I will be interested to see how much I've improved as an SMT player. She was a nightmare originally. Anyway, back to Alex and story stuff. SJ has more personality and plot than I gave it credit for in my memory. It certainly has more plot and gives its characters more focus than Nocturne did. I'm also kinda curious about when I will actually learn about Alex in the game itself. I know all the details from forums like this but not much has happened with her in the game apart from beating me up.

The new art and voice-acting has really helped turn me around on Jimenez, too. Couldn't stand him originally.

see if you have that moment where you go out and get the teleporter app, and then end up remembering most of the teleporter sequence on accident

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

My memories of the original Strange Journey are spotty - far moreso than I realized before I played SJR - but the level of QoL improvements are staggering. Like, in the original game, you needed a Sub App to see enemy elemental affinities. That is just something that should be automatic and universal. Having to always remember who is weak to what or repels what gets frustrating, especially since it is not even consistent from game to game.

It was on the bottom screen the entire time:

It displays as "??" when it's either new, a (mini)boss or at low analysis. Gibo Eyes is theoretically useful for new encounters, I guess, but it's real merit came in all of one fight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't know why I just remembered this, but once upon a time, I played Persona 4 with non-Full Control tactics on Hard. That made me do some seriously interesting fusing and strategizing, and I think I might do it again at some point. (For example, it was basically impossible for me to beat the first miniboss until I rolled in with a Slime with Resist Physical and just slugged it out.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

I would sooner give FF7 Remake the benefit of the doubt than I'm going to give Atlus, especially with the 3 months of bad teasers and announcements of announcements

Really? P5 had some big flaws to it but it at least wasn’t a broken buggy mess and seemed reasonably complete at launch.

I don’t even trust Square to finish the remake at this point.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

It was on the bottom screen the entire time:

It displays as "??" when it's either new, a (mini)boss or at low analysis. Gibo Eyes is theoretically useful for new encounters, I guess, but it's real merit came in all of one fight.

Then why did they completely replace it? I'm confused, you still get the ? for affinities until you test it out on the enemy and knowing immediately if an enemy will repel an attack and kill you would be pretty handy. . I even checked the wiki to double check about this and it said specifically GE was replaced because the Demonica just has it as a native function now. Did it not update until after a battle or something originally?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 30, 2019

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

Really? P5 had some big flaws to it but it at least wasn’t a broken buggy mess and seemed reasonably complete at launch.

I don’t even trust Square to finish the remake at this point.

I'm more talking about how obnoxious I find Atlus' promotion of any of their Persona games and the Catherine Full Body can of worms too. I already didn't like Atlus as a company prior to that, but I was at least willing to give them credit for making good games. However, after Catherine I'm finding it pretty hard to justify buying anything that has Hashino or the Persona team even slightly attached to it. I'll see how I feel when we get actual news of this P5 Update, but Square meanwhile has done a better job of coming around to not being a stupid company and as messy as FFXV was it is a still a game I enjoyed a lot and now that Ardyn's DLC is out I can actually just play through all of the post release content they put in in one go. Square's a loving clown car of a company, but I'll trust their decision to take more time on FF7 Remake because I'd rather they scrap development and work on it in-house than the decision they were doing before with CC2 as a co-developer.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Why does everyone in Persona 5 in the text conversations always do the most lackluster typing style ever except for Futaba? That's the one thing that stuck out to me even as I played in terms of bad, the rest all came later

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

klapman posted:

Why does everyone in Persona 5 in the text conversations always do the most lackluster typing style ever except for Futaba? That's the one thing that stuck out to me even as I played in terms of bad, the rest all came later

Now that you mention it, that is rather weird. Where are the emojis, stickers or reaction GIFs? I know they used stickers to great effect in Tokyo Mirage Sessions, to give characters even more personality. Like you'd expect Futaba to communicate mostly through stickers. Or Ann to send you cat GIFs since she's Panther. I would've even liked Yusuke more if he bothered to make custom stickers of himself.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I think everyone can agree that the text messages in Persona 5 were a real wasted opportunity.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The only time they really did that in P5 was when what's her face sent Makoto messages during her S.Link, I think?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I dunno, I got to answer Ryuji's 'are you getting this' message with 'no', so P5's text messages met almost all of my expectations.

I say 'almost', because I did expect Makoto to tell them to stop texting in class as like, the first thing after joining the team.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

The only time they really did that in P5 was when what's her face sent Makoto messages during her S.Link, I think?

Futaba uses some smilies when she first joins the group chat, but

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

klapman posted:

combination of bad writing and worse localization

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

combination of bad writing and worse localization

It's fucekd up cause half the fun of the texts in The Missing were the clear character voices and the stupid stickers.

The other half of the 'fun' was how loving close to home a lot of that poo poo hit :negative:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
They got texts really right in Tokyo Mirage Sessions. It's too bad the combat system basically can't be sped up. I don't think I have the energy to replay it because of that.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Captain Baal posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

They were off by 2 - 2 1/2 years depending on where you lived but at least the game actually came out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wanna know what the original draft was like because there’s no way what we got was it

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Hunt11 posted:

They were off by 2 - 2 1/2 years depending on where you lived but at least the game actually came out.

so roughly 10 times 3 months

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I say 'almost', because I did expect Makoto to tell them to stop texting in class as like, the first thing after joining the team.

I was completely baffled that that didn't happen.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wanna know what the original draft was like because there’s no way what we got was it

The thing about going on a globe trotting trip as college students?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

2014 P5: YOU ARE SLAVE

2018 P5: DO YOU WISH TO SIGN MY PETITION

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I feel like I'm in the minority here, I (mostly) liked Persona 5. It has some really serious Katsura Hashino issues and it marrs what could have been a much better game, but I don't regret playing it. Maybe I'll feel differently if I get a chance to replay it, though.

P3P is still my favorite.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

In the end, it always boils down to Katsura Hashino retire bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I liked playing the game part which is not something I hear often about, at least here. Maybe cause I started immediately on hard?