Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MagusDraco posted:

The short version. They were trying to play 4k video on a laptop that could not play 4k video. It crashed playing the BL1 4k remaster trailer 3 times in a row. It ran the BL2 UHD free patch trailer at like 10 fps.

It ran the BL3 trailer at 10 fps too and then randy was like "they told me it got fixed let's run the trailer again" and it wasn't fixed. Third try they must have replaced the laptop with something else 'cause it finally worked well.

It was a hilarious shitshow

Also, Randy awkwardly did a magic trick for about ten to fifteen minutes in the middle of it. The camera crew hosed him over by doing a shot that revealed the deck of cards was all copies of the card that he was going to magically pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
At least we got the pathologic 2 reveal. i was hoping for bulletstorm 2 but we got switch port that tries to push gearboxes not funny duke humor. bulletstorms humor wasn't perfects, but its funnier than anything borderlands ever will be.

MagusDraco posted:

I will say BL3 has a punch siren which Woolie will probably get hype for

i'll probably play as the soldier lady. i always went axton or krieg.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Also, Randy awkwardly did a magic trick for about ten to fifteen minutes in the middle of it. The camera crew hosed him over by doing a shot that revealed the deck of cards was all copies of the card that he was going to magically pick.

lol get hosed Randy

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
"He's the Ryu of this game, he fights to find that answer. That answer has a solution."

Woolie, on the titular character of Akatsuki Blitzkampf.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pat's been going off for an hour straight on twitter about how including an easier mode in FromSoft games would be terrible, including comparing Paige beating Bloodborne to how disabled people shouldn't be complaining about the games being inaccessible.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Pat's been going off for an hour straight on twitter about how including an easier mode in FromSoft games would be terrible, including comparing Paige beating Bloodborne to how disabled people shouldn't be complaining about the games being inaccessible.

jesus christ

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

hes right

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

i don’t think so

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pat always digs too deep in his arguments

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Paige isn't profoundly disabled.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

He really isn't.

I get the defensiveness over soulsborne difficulty. But some kind of assist mode really wouldn't take away from everyone else because everyone else always has the option to not play them.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Barent posted:

i don’t think so

He absolutely is, the difficulty is the point. These games act as a sort of crucible for the player, forcing them to engage on the games’ terms and teaching them in the process. The difficulty is key to the experience

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if i lose a lot in fighting games i should be allowed to do more damage to my opponent, or he should have less health or something. its not fair that i cant win at fighting games. i want the experience of winning

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

if i lose a lot in fighting games i should be allowed to do more damage to my opponent, or he should have less health or something. its not fair that i cant win at fighting games. i want the experience of winning

This really isn't the slamdunk argument you think it is, given you literally can go into single player and turn the difficulty down.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"Aw gently caress, I beat the game on normal and there's an easy, I guess my accomplishment means nothing"

said literally noone ever.

scary ghost dog posted:

Competitive games are not the same as single player games you disingenuous clod.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sekiro lets you rebind the controls and use the microsoft disabled person controller.....not sure how it isnt “accessible.” if u cant beat it then watch someone else do it or beat it with cheat engine. its unreasonable to demand a full rebalance of the game to fit your ability

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Boy am I glad I stopped following Pat on twitter ages ago. As somebody who is severely disabled and, depending on the availability of proper treatment, may never be able to play video games without horrible pain ever again, seeing him basically say "if you can only play an easier version of a game, you shouldn't get to experience it at all" doesn't exactly thrill me.

Also Pat literally cheated to beat Balder's Gate 2 (or 1, can't remember) and defended himself saying that it was a singleplayer game and how he plays it is nobody's business.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Pat's always been do as I say not as I do/I'll stab you in the back after I get what I want cause gently caress you retail employee I went through hell there so I get it and also get to give it out. (Mainly talking about how he got a place to break the street date for a game and then at a different / the same(?) place tried to get someone fired for selling a game early to someone else but refusing to sell it early to him.)

Edit: basically saying Pat is a hypocrite and knows he is one but doesn't care because t's about what he wants and enjoys

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i will admit that there are no colorblind options in sekiro, which should be standard in every game. but otherwise its perfectly accessible

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I like listening to the podcast because they will talk about what they want to talk about for as long as they want to talk about it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

sekiro lets you rebind the controls and use the microsoft disabled person controller.....not sure how it isnt “accessible.” if u cant beat it then watch someone else do it or beat it with cheat engine. its unreasonable to demand a full rebalance of the game to fit your ability

Or rather then getting huffy every time people suggest the notion of accessibility options in the form of difficulty settings, you could just, not?

Like it literally does not effect you in the slightest. Sekiro adding an easy mode or assist mode will not take away the normal difficulty. I'm not even convinced people are demanding a "full rebalance" of Sekrio so much as people are kind of using it as a proxy to talk about difficulty as an accessibility issue, and whether or not it's important games have a singular "vision" difficulty. Games like Celeste seem to be tough as nails will still offering options if you want to ease the difficulty. Games have been challenging in the past while having difficulty options. There's not a lot of reasons why games can't push their ideal difficulty while having some easy mode options under some accessibility settings.

This honestly just reminds me of people shouting down people asking for better representation in games. Like, it literally doesn't hurt you. No-one is taking away your hard games, unless you feel like you won't be able to help yourself from picking the easy settings?

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Whether intended or not it really just reads as lovely gatekeeping. I like hard games too but have never been mad that games have multiple difficulty settings. I just don’t play on those difficulties.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It’s not a matter of “it’s hurting/not hurting me”, it’s a matter of diminishing the art. Like, if an author wants to release an abridged or annotated version of a book, then that’s their prerogative, but to act as if they have a moral imperative to do so is absurd.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
what are some other games that dont have an easy mode, but should? it seems strange to me that this conversation is always centered around fromsoft games. should there be a difficulty in mario odyssey where mario can jump higher? should there be a mode in the witness where if you fail a puzzle enough times it tells you how to solve it?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its all just cloudgazing and imagining a different game that youre better at

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad that games are so much more pure now since you have to forcibly modify the original intended vision to make yourself invincible instead of that just being available if you punch in a code on the title screen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

should there be a mode in the witness where if you fail a puzzle enough times it tells you how to solve it?

It's called google. Lots of people use it when they get stuck in puzzle games.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Oxyclean posted:

This honestly just reminds me of people shouting down people asking for better representation in games. Like, it literally doesn't hurt you. No-one is taking away your hard games, unless you feel like you won't be able to help yourself from picking the easy settings?

It's elitism, it's exclusionary indifference to others, and it's just plain cuntishness.

The point is that they get to feel secure in their position of being better than other because of reasons.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
https://twitter.com/halfcoordinated/status/1107803956112183297
Read this extremely relevant twitter thread.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
It really is just elitism and gatekeeping, no matter how much you try to dress it up.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It’s a lovely argument that misses the point. It talks about how easy it would be to add modifiers while taking for granted the idea that they would be a good thing. Who is this supposed to CONVINCE?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

what are some other games that dont have an easy mode, but should? it seems strange to me that this conversation is always centered around fromsoft games. should there be a difficulty in mario odyssey where mario can jump higher? should there be a mode in the witness where if you fail a puzzle enough times it tells you how to solve it?

Mario has the gold leaf/gold tanooki suit, lots of puzzle games do offer hints and/or just do what Andrast said and google it.

You're really good at citing examples of games that should have easy modes...that already have easy modes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

It’s not a matter of “it’s hurting/not hurting me”, it’s a matter of diminishing the art. Like, if an author wants to release an abridged or annotated version of a book, then that’s their prerogative, but to act as if they have a moral imperative to do so is absurd.

But does it really matter when you frontline the proper format? You present a "here's the way the game is meant to be experienced" and have players who start up the game launch into it without any difficult chocies presented, but you have some assist settings in a menu with a (non-condescending) warning that they'd disrupt the intended balance of the game.

Where do you draw the line with "diminishing the art" - button mapping, colour blind settings, sub titles, all could be argued to disrupt the art. On numerous occasions I've had subtitles spoil something a moment ahead of time, because they're poorly timed, or getting subs for things you shouldn't be able to hear, or I find myself not fully paying to the cutscene or what's happening because I'm reading the subs. I still rather the setting because of the benefits it provides, and because I don't like to take chances with running into cutscenes or moments where the mixing sucks rear end.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CuddlyZombie posted:

It’s a lovely argument that misses the point. It talks about how easy it would be to add modifiers while taking for granted the idea that they would be a good thing. Who is this supposed to CONVINCE?

let me help you out here: it's because they would be a good thing

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bioshock's subtitles are awful and actively make cutscenes worse if you have your hearing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

this guy literally says people with disabilities might not find a game with an easy mode easier to play

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd like for every game to have well made easy and hard modes.

I don't usually find games too difficult but there so many loving games that would be great if they just had any amount of challenge at all.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Like, I suck rear end at games, but I managed to get through all of Soulsborne save Demons' (don't have it.) I honestly kind of agree the difficulty is a big part of what makes those games kind of special and I don't think I would have had the same experience had I not had to feel like I had to overcome certain things. I'm not advocating for easy options out of personal desire - I have a bad habit of banging my head on a wall rather then turning down the difficulty or seeking easier options - but I believe that people can still have the same experience at a lower difficulty setting, and there are things outside of the difficulty that make soulsborne special.

To suggest soulsborne lives or dies on it's difficulty doesn't really give the game enough credit, IMO.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Mario has the gold leaf/gold tanooki suit, lots of puzzle games do offer hints and/or just do what Andrast said and google it.

You're really good at citing examples of games that should have easy modes...that already have easy modes.

neither of the games i mentioned have easy modes. mario odyssey does not have the 3D world powerups and the witness does not offer hints. and googling how to solve puzzles is no different than just watching a youtube playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The entire loving point of the Soulsbourne games is the journey of perseverance and overcoming. It's not actually about being super hard. There's nothing really hard about the Dark Souls games or Bloodborne other than memorisation. That's just poisonous shite that's dripped from the mouths of a corrosive Gamer community over years and was picked up by Bandai's marketing department.

Nothing could be more in line with the ethos of those games than letting people who are physically impeded complete them.

And it would have no effect on able-bodied people who played in default mode.