Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Simpsons Reference posted:

Alright, I'm reopening it without handing out probations, but with a word of caution:

The thread is for discussing owning rental property and its issues. Occasionally the non-financial aspects as well. Sending the wealthy to the guillotine is a funny running gag that I imagine even the thread regulars enjoy.... in moderation. When it begins to prevent actual discussion about the thread topic, that's where I have to step in.

So if you're just here to brigade from C-SPAM, stop. No one goes to your place of business and knocks the hammer and sickle out of your hands.
as someone who has lurked this thread before it started getting any real activity i don't see the surge of interest in the topic as preventing discussion. on the contrary, the recent surge drove discussion on rental property and its issues. compare with the long-term posters in this thread who refused to discuss in good faith on long-term decision-making that they should be making as responsible landlords. the responsible part means making sure people don't die on the streets because you're too focused about making profit, and shutting down discussion on that front is against the central point of responsible landlords existing.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Does collective ownership count for the purposes of the thread topic?
i raised that question before and didn't get an answer, in fact none of the posters could answer a question other than acting like social housing was non-existant

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

whole lot of private landlords whining, is there a social housing thread for comparison?

what are your 5, 10, 30, 50 year plans for your stock anyway?

what statutory standards do your houses have to hit in those timeframes for you to be allowed to house a tenant in there?

what regulator do you respond to and what's your interpretation of a necessary repair vs just inconvenient for you to arrange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are there any examples of successful efforts to build cooperative structures that work to keep rents down and pool excess capital into acquiring stock out of the hands of usurers and making it more social? Like a sort of cooperative social housing intitiave? Obviously the UK has/had good state run social housing but given its propensity for being flogged off at the drop of a hat by poo poo governments it'd be nice if there were some sort of model that saw success without needing to be government backed, as insurance.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
hi, good faith question: landlords extremely bad y/n? show working!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Are there any examples of successful efforts to build cooperative structures that work to keep rents down and pool excess capital into acquiring stock out of the hands of usurers and making it more social? Like a sort of cooperative social housing intitiave? Obviously the UK has/had good state run social housing but given its propensity for being flogged off at the drop of a hat by poo poo governments it'd be nice if there were some sort of model that saw success without needing to be government backed, as insurance.
housing associations fit that bubble imo. the only government money is in housing benefits via rent (, some gov-backed interest-free loans when they're pushing particular upgrades to the stock (similar to private homeowners), and the biggest chunk would be if you're building new houses as it's mutually beneficial. that's where most of the new stock for a HA will come from, unless a property's going up for sale in a partially-owned block at a reasonable price

as far as tenant involvement as a rule the board overseeing an org will be a mix of tenants (service users), homeowners (due to factoring), and some professionals in housing.

the bleeding's stemmed from the right-to-buy scheme being abolished in scotland, but its still a dangerous thorn elsewhere where it's selling off assets at well below market-value.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess my next question would be how... good... are HA's I guess? Like I guess margin wise. Cos obviously the rent in an area's gonna be market driven so a large presence of deliberately lowered rents is gonna drive the private landlords down too, but in terms of absolute rent margins over the costs to maintain the houses, how do they compare to I guess government backed social housing? Cos that does generally make money for the LA doesn't it? Are they comparable?

Or perhaps is there some very obvious differences you can see in areas with lots of HA penetration vs areas that don't have them in terms of rents?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i can't really speak to how it would compare to a government initiative. obviously that'd be the ideal scenario, but HAs aren't too different. LAs are still covered by the regulators, so think of them as bigger HAs with more in-house services.

as far as financial margin it'd vary based on HA, but all of the regulatory returns are public with full datasets available: https://www.scottishhousingregulator.gov.uk/find-and-compare-landlords/statistical-information

rent increases are aligned with inflation with some opting to increase every couple of years but a larger amount, and some every year. this would be decided by the board and a set of options given to the tenants with, say, 3% or 3.5% where 3.5% would bring additional money in to improve x, y and z. you'd think everyone would always go for the lowest option, but uh, that isn't always the case.

the biggest hurdle is dealing with private landlords who don't want to do anything but the absolute minimum to maintain their properties and keep their tenants safe. mortgage-to-rent does exist for existing homeowners to join, but the houses aren't fully upgraded until the existing tenant leaves outside of the planned programmes so they're of a mixed quality (but what the original owner wanted so...)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
People are starting to talk expropriation in Berlin.

https://twitter.com/thenation/status/1111074690909593601

I would think this would actually be easier in the U.S. because the court's have given cities expansive eminent domain powers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i can't really speak to how it would compare to a government initiative. obviously that'd be the ideal scenario, but HAs aren't too different. LAs are still covered by the regulators, so think of them as bigger HAs with more in-house services.

as far as financial margin it'd vary based on HA, but all of the regulatory returns are public with full datasets available: https://www.scottishhousingregulator.gov.uk/find-and-compare-landlords/statistical-information

rent increases are aligned with inflation with some opting to increase every couple of years but a larger amount, and some every year. this would be decided by the board and a set of options given to the tenants with, say, 3% or 3.5% where 3.5% would bring additional money in to improve x, y and z. you'd think everyone would always go for the lowest option, but uh, that isn't always the case.

the biggest hurdle is dealing with private landlords who don't want to do anything but the absolute minimum to maintain their properties and keep their tenants safe. mortgage-to-rent does exist for existing homeowners to join, but the houses aren't fully upgraded until the existing tenant leaves outside of the planned programmes so they're of a mixed quality (but what the original owner wanted so...)

That's decidedly better than I'd have expected honestly. Cheering.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

People are starting to talk expropriation in Berlin.

https://twitter.com/thenation/status/1111074690909593601

I would think this would actually be easier in the U.S. because the court's have given cities expansive eminent domain powers.

They should do this with owners running Airbnb hotels first. I stayed in an Airbnb in Oslo a few years ago and the host owned 32 units in that building alone, and more in other nearby buildings. That must drive rents insanely high. It’s just too tempting to charge $150/night rather than $2000/mo, regardless of the risk.

The lady had full time cleaning staff to turn over the units.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
AirBnb is absolutely part of the problem but diversity of tactics is cool and good.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Simpsons Reference posted:

Alright, I'm reopening it without handing out probations, but with a word of caution:

The thread is for discussing owning rental property and its issues. Occasionally the non-financial aspects as well. Sending the wealthy to the guillotine is a funny running gag that I imagine even the thread regulars enjoy.... in moderation. When it begins to prevent actual discussion about the thread topic, that's where I have to step in.

So if you're just here to brigade from C-SPAM, stop. No one goes to your place of business and knocks the hammer and sickle out of your hands.

They do actually

The tools are subsequently picked up, dusted off, and given to a scab.

ThomasPaine posted:

hi, good faith question: landlords extremely bad y/n? show working!

A post I wanted to respond to while the thread was locked, from early in the invasion, posited that investment is a perfectly normal and rational thing to do when one has excess money.

I agree but would like to posit that if you're looking for a low effort investment opportunity, you could do pretty well out of buying shares in munitions companies; in these troubled times, war is a real growth market. You know, if you feel the human impact of your financial practices doesn't actually matter.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Landlords are lower than leeches.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I know I've seen good effort posts and links to articles about the Vienna model for housing. Anyone got that to hand?

I think it's worth bringing up as there was one poster literally claiming that if they didn't buy and rent out houses, then their tenants would literally be homeless for decades. He just couldn't conceive of any system different to the one that he exists in.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

i love that the mod guy thinks the guillotine stuff is ironic

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jealous Cow posted:

They should do this with owners running Airbnb hotels first. I stayed in an Airbnb in Oslo a few years ago and the host owned 32 units in that building alone, and more in other nearby buildings. That must drive rents insanely high. It’s just too tempting to charge $150/night rather than $2000/mo, regardless of the risk.

The lady had full time cleaning staff to turn over the units.

Yeah, in New Orleans, these AirBnBs were actually expropriated to begin with. The city goes on sprees of condemning buildings and then auctioning them off to wealthy developers who then turn them into AirBnBs and completely gently caress the property value in a neighborhood up.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

A post I wanted to respond to while the thread was locked, from early in the invasion, posited that investment is a perfectly normal and rational thing to do when one has excess money.

I agree but would like to posit that if you're looking for a low effort investment opportunity, you could do pretty well out of buying shares in munitions companies; in these troubled times, war is a real growth market. You know, if you feel the human impact of your financial practices doesn't actually matter.
Most long-term investors try not to overweight a given sector but instead invest in broad total market index funds. This is the lowest effort way to do it. It looks like according to this website that munitions would only be roughly 5% of the total market. It would be foolish to overweight such a small sector, especially given that despite our perpetual warring in the Middle East, tech still far outweighs it in returns.

As an aside, the Berkshire B shares being listed by themselves are a little misleading, since Berkshire Hathaway shares are effectively just their own mutual fund.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NZAmoeba posted:

I know I've seen good effort posts and links to articles about the Vienna model for housing. Anyone got that to hand?

I think it's worth bringing up as there was one poster literally claiming that if they didn't buy and rent out houses, then their tenants would literally be homeless for decades. He just couldn't conceive of any system different to the one that he exists in.

Fuckin lol

The only way to stop homelessness is by me buying up former council housing, splitting the property into two properties and then renting it out for double the council rate. Really I'm a humanitarian when you think about it.

No DSS.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

NZAmoeba posted:

Motronic posted:

So did this end up in another subforum? (checks...no)

If I didn't have someone willing to rent to me for a large portion of my life I would have been homeless.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Rent increases should be tied to a tenant's wages. That way landlords and businesses can deal directly with each other, and those of us who want to live can ignore that horseshit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Boot and Rally posted:

Rent increases should be tied to a tenant's wages. That way landlords and businesses can deal directly with each other, and those of us who want to live can ignore that horseshit.

Yeah, you could even account for marginal utility by having higher earners pay proportionally more, and low earners propertionally less.

To make things easier, you could have the money collected by a central agency of some kind, an "in-land revenue collection service" if you will

And if there's one agency collecting the money, youay as well have another block managing the properties in the community...

:ussr:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hey, I'm making a lot of money from my tenants need for shelter but I'm trying to do more. Anyone know where I could get some human sized coin operated food and water dispensers? I'm thinking something like what you see in a hamster cage. I'll install them and ban outside food in the lease.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

is there a social housing thread for comparison?

:justpost:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Gumball Gumption posted:

Hey, I'm making a lot of money from my tenants need for shelter but I'm trying to do more. Anyone know where I could get some human sized coin operated food and water dispensers? I'm thinking something like what you see in a hamster cage. I'll install them and ban outside food in the lease.

open a subway

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

brian posted:

i love that the mod guy thinks the guillotine stuff is ironic

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
We bought a 900sqft condo 7 years ago and lived in it for 6 years fixing it up as we went. We put probably 12Gs into it over that time.

We were planning on renting it out to a couple trust-fund college kids since its the nicest condo on the property, but now I'm thinking to just sell it so that someone else gets to own something and accrue net worth. Even if i only charged them what my carrying costs are, id still be depriving someone else of starter-home ownership for my greed reasons.

Even though i only have those greed reasons because everyone I owe money to has greed reasons, but gently caress it, the cycle has to stop somewhere. I'm gonna sell that thing.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hey dude, too your advice but not really sure how it helps. Now my house has trains running through it and homeless people sleeping in it which is pretty much the exact opposite of renting.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Scamming trust fund kids is praxis dumbass

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gumball Gumption posted:

Depending on the air quality where you own, I hear canned air vending machines are a pretty good investment opportunity

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

We bought a 900sqft condo 7 years ago and lived in it for 6 years fixing it up as we went. We put probably 12Gs into it over that time.

We were planning on renting it out to a couple trust-fund college kids since its the nicest condo on the property, but now I'm thinking to just sell it so that someone else gets to own something and accrue net worth. Even if i only charged them what my carrying costs are, id still be depriving someone else of starter-home ownership for my greed reasons.

Even though i only have those greed reasons because everyone I owe money to has greed reasons, but gently caress it, the cycle has to stop somewhere. I'm gonna sell that thing.
Alternatively, you could leverage the asset towards social good by renting it out and funneling your rental profit towards charitable interests such that you would be doing more for systemic problems than providing just one person or family with that opportunity. You don't have to sell it to do good.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

This is a pretty cool post.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I rent a house and sublet the in-law suite because we don't need the space. Do they make kits for those who want to self-guillotine?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hoodwinker posted:

Alternatively, you could leverage the asset towards social good by renting it out and funneling your rental profit towards charitable interests such that you would be doing more for systemic problems than providing just one person or family with that opportunity. You don't have to sell it to do good.

The fastest way to redistribute wealth is to distribute it direct to the people that need it. Charities are so entrenched within the social system that they cannot effect the radical change that is needed because they are dependent on the upper classes continuing to bestow them funding.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Rarity posted:

The fastest way to redistribute wealth is to distribute it direct to the people that need it. Charities are so entrenched within the social system that they cannot effect the radical change that is needed because they are dependent on the upper classes continuing to bestow them funding.

This. Your best bet, if you wanted the "optimal" dollar for dollar value in mitigating suffering and social good, would be donating the cash to strike funds, cooperative enterprises (housing, solar, "green", etc...), mutual aid projects, and the like. poo poo that actually makes demands of and is willing to do what it takes to get at least a slice of the pie redistributed.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

This. Your best bet, if you wanted the "optimal" dollar for dollar value in mitigating suffering and social good, would be donating the cash to strike funds, cooperative enterprises (housing, solar, "green", etc...), mutual aid projects, and the like. poo poo that actually makes demands of and is willing to do what it takes to get at least a slice of the pie redistributed.
I wasn't trying to specify that it had to be charities, per se, just that you would be providing your own charity towards whatever agencies interest you. What you're describing is exactly where I think the money could be going! If you sell, the next person might be given an opportunity they didn't have at best, or at worst will end up perpetuating the cycle by renting it/selling it/AirBnBing it (without intending to use that profit for what we're discussing). If you keep it and use its profits for social good, this provides you with direct agency in breaking the cycle for as long as you control it, instead of just breaking the cycle for this one singular transaction.

It's even better then if you're renting to trust-fund college kids because you're directly redistributing elitist wealth to social causes! How's that for hacking the system?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hoodwinker posted:

I wasn't trying to specify that it had to be charities, per se, just that you would be providing your own charity towards whatever agencies interest you. What you're describing is exactly where I think the money could be going! If you sell, the next person might be given an opportunity they didn't have at best, or at worst will end up perpetuating the cycle by renting it/selling it/AirBnBing it (without intending to use that profit for what we're discussing). If you keep it and use its profits for social good, this provides you with direct agency in breaking the cycle for as long as you control it, instead of just breaking the cycle for this one singular transaction.

It's even better then if you're renting to trust-fund college kids because you're directly redistributing elitist wealth to social causes! How's that for hacking the system?

But if we're talking ethical responsibility here then it doesn't change the fact that by doing so you're perpetuating a broken housing system that exists to extract wealth from the poor to put it in the hands of the rich and directly consigning a person/family to a continued existence within that cycle and if you're looking to act from a place of moral good then that's undercutting your charitable giving.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Rarity posted:

But if we're talking ethical responsibility here then it doesn't change the fact that by doing so you're perpetuating a broken housing system that exists to extract wealth from the poor to put it in the hands of the rich and directly consigning a person/family to a continued existence within that cycle and if you're looking to act from a place of moral good then that's undercutting your charitable giving.
It's true, but aren't you undercutting it either way? You could be redistributing the wealth you acquire towards more systemically impactful efforts to correct the system. This situation isn't lacking in moral ambiguity: you can provide one guaranteed moral transaction in a broken system at the expense of funneling resources into rectifying issues with that system, or you can choose to sacrifice a smaller moral good for a greater one. Given the opportunity, I would rather seek to rectify the system using my resources than offer one temporary and potentially impotent solution.

Remember: this one shot you've got requires you to accurately gauge the worthiness of the person you are hoping to provide this charitable opportunity to (and offering to sell at a lower price than you could command is a charitable act, since you're giving up your own chance at resources). Maybe the person squanders this opportunity later on and the effort is meaningless. Maybe they go on to do great things. It's a tough situation to judge. But if you make a mistake and the person has fooled you and is actually a shitlord (or more likely, it just doesn't have any lasting impact on the system at large), you don't get a do-over, and society doesn't get better because you tried your best.

Meanwhile, if you forego this more direct opportunity and take the systemic approach, even if the agencies you provide funding to fail in their objectives, you've still created competition amongst the system against the agencies you are actively seeking to destroy, weakening them. I'll take it in the other direction too: if you choose an agency that actively does harm to your objectives, you've made the whole system worse at a greater scale.

This is almost literally the Trolley Problem. There's no simple answer.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 29, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's actually pretty simple. Systemic issues exist because people don't make an effort to fix them and allow systems to continue. The solution is to not be part of the problem and actively fight against the problem. If everyone does that then it's not a problem.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hoodwinker posted:

It's true, but aren't you undercutting it either way? You could be redistributing the wealth you acquire towards more systemically impactful efforts to correct the system. This situation isn't lacking in moral ambiguity: you can provide one guaranteed moral transaction in a broken system at the expense of funneling resources into rectifying issues with that system, or you can choose to sacrifice a smaller moral good for a greater one. Given the opportunity, I would rather seek to rectify the system using my resources than offer one temporary and potentially impotent solution.

Remember: this one shot you've got requires you to accurately gauge the worthiness of the person you are hoping to provide this charitable opportunity to (and offering to sell at a lower price than you could command is a charitable act, since you're giving up your own chance at resources). Maybe the person squanders this opportunity later on and the effort is meaningless. Maybe they go on to do great things. It's a tough situation to judge. But if you make a mistake and the person has fooled you and is actually a shitlord (or more likely, it just doesn't have any lasting impact on the system at large), you don't get a do-over, and society doesn't get better because you tried your best.

Meanwhile, if you forego this more direct opportunity and take the systemic approach, even if the agencies you provide funding to fail in their objectives, you've still created competition amongst the system against the agencies you are actively seeking to destroy, weakening them. I'll take it in the other direction too: if you choose an agency that actively does harm to your objectives, you've made the whole system worse at a greater scale.

This is almost literally the Trolley Problem. There's no simple answer.

Becoming a landlord is a good way to turn the probably-harmless sentiment of leasing to "a couple trust-fund college kids" into genuine animosity for fellow human beings. It sets up a bad power dynamic.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Short of full autonomous gay luxury space communism, are there solutions palatable to the American electorate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Rarity posted:

It's actually pretty simple. Systemic issues exist because people don't make an effort to fix them and allow systems to continue. The solution is to not be part of the problem and actively fight against the problem. If everyone does that then it's not a problem.
This seems extremely hand-waving of the problems associated with group coordination and communication. How do you incentivize collective action against a problem that literally everybody in the population is against but is punished for not participating in? I'm reminded of this essay by Scott Alexander and many of the associated thoughts on that site. I would love to not take part in a broken system, but I (and just about everybody on Earth) lack both the communication and coordination power of a gods-eye position to make the radical changes necessary for a system where nobody is harmed anymore.

To bring it back to the specific example we're discussing: why would this specific example be a boon towards the intended outcome (disengaging from the broken system) instead of simply being absorbed by the system that incentives otherwise? That's why I'm in favor of the systemic solution: it operates at the appropriate level of abstraction - the system - instead of at the level of the individual operation.

Kobayashi posted:

Becoming a landlord is a good way to turn the probably-harmless sentiment of leasing to "a couple trust-fund college kids" into genuine animosity for fellow human beings. It sets up a bad power dynamic.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that people who become landlords transform emotionally so that they begin to feel direct animosity for their tenants, or is it just that the relationship between landlord/tenant is an unhealthy power dynamic and operates as if the power-holder has animosity for the subordinate person?