Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

googling how to solve puzzles is no different than just watching a youtube playthrough

People don't watch all the puzzles on youtube. They look at the solution (or a hint) to something they get stuck at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Didn't all this start because of some article that said "Souls games should have an easy mode because I don't like the difficulty" without mentioning disability concerns at all?

I mean, it's not like every Souls game doesn't have secret easy mode anyway with some cheese strat or overpowered weapon.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Andrast posted:

People don't watch all the puzzles on youtube. They look at the solution (or a hint) to something they get stuck at.

not terribly different than looking up ways to easily cheese bosses in the souls series

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oxyclean posted:

Like, I suck rear end at games, but I managed to get through all of Soulsborne save Demons' (don't have it.) I honestly kind of agree the difficulty is a big part of what makes those games kind of special and I don't think I would have had the same experience had I not had to feel like I had to overcome certain things. I'm not advocating for easy options out of personal desire - I have a bad habit of banging my head on a wall rather then turning down the difficulty or seeking easier options - but I believe that people can still have the same experience at a lower difficulty setting, and there are things outside of the difficulty that make soulsborne special.

To suggest soulsborne lives or dies on it's difficulty doesn't really give the game enough credit, IMO.

Right, saying that the only thing that makes Soulsborne special is it's difficulty is doing a massive disservice to stuff like their art design, level design, atmosphere etc. And given that I absolutely love them, I'm always so disappointed that there's so many people who'll never get to enjoy it because what I bet is a vocal minority would kick up enough poo poo if From did add some kind of difficulty/accessibility options.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

scary ghost dog posted:

this guy literally says people with disabilities might not find a game with an easy mode easier to play

He also says that in-game modifiable assist difficulty levels will help those with disabilities to play at all, and again doing so does not harm anybody else's experience of the game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

neither of the games i mentioned have easy modes. mario odyssey does not have the 3D world powerups and the witness does not offer hints. and googling how to solve puzzles is no different than just watching a youtube playthrough

https://twinfinite.net/2017/10/super-mario-odyssey-how-to-use-assist-mode-and-what-it-does/

quote:

For series newcomers or players who might find Super Mario Odyssey to be a tad challenging, the game provides an Assist Mode that makes the game considerably easier. And the best part is, there doesn’t seem to be any downside or penalty to using it.

First off, the game offers you the choice to use Assist Mode when you boot it up for the first time. However, if you chose to progress through the game normally, you can still turn it on if you change your mind later.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Seeing difficulty options at all in some games just sends people into a frothing rage for some mysterious reason.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The entire loving point of the Soulsbourne games is the journey of perseverance and overcoming. It's not actually about being super hard. There's nothing really hard about the Dark Souls games or Bloodborne other than memorisation. That's just poisonous shite that's dripped from the mouths of a corrosive Gamer community over years and was picked up by Bandai's marketing department.

Nothing could be more in line with the ethos of those games than letting people who are physically impeded complete them.

And it would have no effect on able-bodied people who played in default mode.

physiological impediments would not necessarily be helped by an easy mode, as indicated in the twitter thread that was posted earlier

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Oxyclean posted:

But does it really matter when you frontline the proper format? You present a "here's the way the game is meant to be experienced" and have players who start up the game launch into it without any difficult chocies presented, but you have some assist settings in a menu with a (non-condescending) warning that they'd disrupt the intended balance of the game.

Where do you draw the line with "diminishing the art" - button mapping, colour blind settings, sub titles, all could be argued to disrupt the art. On numerous occasions I've had subtitles spoil something a moment ahead of time, because they're poorly timed, or getting subs for things you shouldn't be able to hear, or I find myself not fully paying to the cutscene or what's happening because I'm reading the subs. I still rather the setting because of the benefits it provides, and because I don't like to take chances with running into cutscenes or moments where the mixing sucks rear end.

I think as long as it’s done exactly as you describe, with a VERY clear message on what the INTENDED difficulty is, ala Celeste, then it’s fine, albeit somewhat missing the point if the game is ABOUT difficulty. But I still don’t think it’s something to impose on the creator. For example, something like Getting Over It would have made zero sense if it was easy, at that point why bother?

I do like subtitles for dialogue but I don’t think audio captions for something like a monster’s tells would make sense. I guess I would put a distinction where it affects the gameplay, as opposed to something affecting cinematic direction? I don’t really have strong opinions on that stuff either way though, to be honest.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

not terribly different than looking up ways to easily cheese bosses in the souls series

Yeah and neither are bad things! That's the entire loving point here.

The difference between them is that a puzzle solution is generally guaranteed to work, while weird strats in action games usually aren't. Like in souls games you can occasionally cheese a boss but that's not the case for most of them.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Blockhouse posted:

let me help you out here: it's because they would be a good thing

Modifiers in plenty of games make me realize wait, why am I even bothering, and ruin the experience. Though usually it’s because under the surface it’s not a very good game on the first place. Thinking of you, Skyrim

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

I think as long as it’s done exactly as you describe, with a VERY clear message on what the INTENDED difficulty is, ala Celeste, then it’s fine, albeit somewhat missing the point if the game is ABOUT difficulty. But I still don’t think it’s something to impose on the creator. For example, something like Getting Over It would have made zero sense if it was easy, at that point why bother?

I do like subtitles for dialogue but I don’t think audio captions for something like a monster’s tells would make sense. I guess I would put a distinction where it affects the gameplay, as opposed to something affecting cinematic direction? I don’t really have strong opinions on that stuff either way though, to be honest.

i do want to know what happens at the end of getting over it, but i dont want to look up a video and im not good enough to beat it myself.....u guys might have a point

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

scary ghost dog posted:

i do want to know what happens at the end of getting over it, but i dont want to look up a video and im not good enough to beat it myself.....u guys might have a point

It would be cool if it had a different difficulty setting so you could beat it yourself, right? One that wouldn’t affect anyone else’s experience in the slightest?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Barent posted:

It would be cool if it had a different difficulty setting so you could beat it yourself, right? One that wouldn’t affect anyone else’s experience in the slightest?

That would ruin the point entirely and would be extremely uncool. I say this as someone so turned off by its difficulty that I don’t even want to watch others play it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

The thing is, at the end of the day, no-one can FORCE FromSoft to do anything.

All this is people advocating for assist modes and whatnot, and providing compelling arguments for why they would be a net positive.

No doubt Getting Over It would not be the same if it was easy, but its a much smaller niche indie game made by a single person, not a massive experience by a large studio. The accessibility discussion has never been something about covering every single game ever. There's going to be games and experiences that might not be helped by accessibility options - but doesn't mean people shouldn't provide suggestions, solutions, or strive to make gaming as a whole more accessible.

But to go back to Getting Over It - i'd argue there could be an easy mode that wouldn't diminish the experience because no-one is forced to use it. There's still competely the effect of "holy poo poo you beat the game without the assist mode?!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Modifiers in plenty of games make me realize wait, why am I even bothering, and ruin the experience. Though usually it’s because under the surface it’s not a very good game on the first place. Thinking of you, Skyrim

Okay so wait is your argument "games shouldn't have easy modes/assists because I can't keep myself from using them"

is that what you're going with here?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Barent posted:

thats what i meant when i said u guys might have a point. then again the game is called “getting over it” and features voiceover discussing overcoming seemingly impossible obstacles from a philosophical standpoint. maybe theres more to the subject of difficulty in games than just not being able to beat them and youre attached to a solution in search of a problem

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Blockhouse posted:

Okay so wait is your argument "games shouldn't have easy modes/assists because I can't keep myself from using them"

is that what you're going with here?

Not at all, I’m just saying in that post that lazy difficulty settings in bad games can expose a lack of thought by developers put into certain mechanical systems, which can ruin an otherwise salvageable experience. If the numbers in Skyrim are so unimportant that the developers are fine with having such drastic changes depending on difficulty setting, why should I trust them that they’re balanced at all? (In that games case, they’re not.)

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

At least let me have the illusion that thought was put into your game’s systems, Bethesda!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Insisting there not be an easy mode means you put far too much personal worth in dumb videogames, which is very sad

Easy example comes to mind right away, Subnautica having a creative mode with no health, water, oxygen, or food meters does not somehow make the survival mode nonexistent or worth less for those who want it.

CuddlyZombie posted:

That would ruin the point entirely and would be extremely uncool. I say this as someone so turned off by its difficulty that I don’t even want to watch others play it.
There's only one thing uncool here, and that's you

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Insisting there not be an easy mode means you put far too much personal worth in dumb videogames, which is very sad

Subnautica having a creative mode with no health, water, oxygen, or food meters does not somehow make the survival mode nonexistent or worth less for those who want it.

If I couldn't disable the food/water meters in subnautica I wouldn't have played it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Subnautica having a creative mode with no health, water, oxygen, or food meters does not somehow make the survival mode nonexistent or worth less for those who want it.

nobodys asking for easy modes to be removed from games that have them

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Captain Invictus posted:

drat. Looks like I’ve been both trolled, memed, and pwned, to quote Lisa Simpson.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Andrast posted:

If I couldn't disable the food/water meters in subnautica I wouldn't have played it

There you go! More options is good. And subnautica is a really good game that giving more options that expand the potential player base is never bad.

The absolute worst case scenario are the ones that offer a difficulty option but poo poo on you for going for a lower difficilty, like not letting you see the real ending or whatever

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

scary ghost dog posted:

nobodys asking for easy modes to be removed from games that have them
No you just don't want it added to your precious hard game because it would somehow lower your self worth. It is nothing but a matter of pride.

CuddlyZombie posted:

drat. Looks like I’ve been both trolled, memed, and pwned, to quote Lisa Simpson.
Glad you recognized at least that if nothing else

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Captain Invictus posted:

this. loving lol talking about "diminishing the art" or that it cheapens the experience.

also when i look at a celeste speedrun i am definitely thinking these loser babies should have just played it with the no deaths assist on and taken their time

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Actually video games are good, and not dumb.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

they can be both

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

I agree, and I think more people being able to have fun with them is cool.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
insisting games be more easily beaten sounds like the position that puts value on beating games if you ask me

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
DMC5 has an easy mode that keeps the spirit of the game alive while allowing people that aren't that great at games or have disabilities to experience them. Hell, it even works as a stepping stone for the harder difficulties, letting people get comfortable with certain mechanics so that next time they can take it up a notch.

If all your game is is "hard", your game is bad.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

no more tv or movie adaptations of print media they're diminishing the art of books

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Oxyclean posted:

I agree, and I think more people being able to have fun with them is cool.

I agree wholeheartedly.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Oxyclean posted:

no more tv or movie adaptations of print media they're diminishing the art of books

I mean,

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CuddlyZombie posted:

CuddlyZombie posted:

I agree wholeheartedly.
yeah so put more difficulty modes in games like dark souls so people can enjoy them who may not be able to play them otherwise, or may have too hard a time to really enjoy them at all, so they can experience them if they want to.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i am currently enjoy classic SBF game The Evil Within on casual difficulty because i would not have put up with this bullshit long enough on survival

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dias posted:

If all your game is is "hard", your game is bad.

“Hard” disagree. For example, Baba Is You is hard as poo poo and kicks rear end.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hell, DMC even takes it in the other direction and adds a mode that's terrible design by any other metric, but it's catered towards hardcore players that wanna see if they can beat it without even taking a hit. The game is definitely not balanced nor designed for that, it actually kinda ruins a bunch of tools you have access to, but it's there and no one ever complains about artistic integrity there.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

“Hard” disagree. For example, Baba Is You is hard as poo poo and kicks rear end.

He didn't say that hard games are bad. He meant that if difficulty is all that your game has then it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

CuddlyZombie posted:

You misread their post