Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Rex-Goliath posted:

serious q has a game made by a major publisher, especially one with the reputation for quality valve has, ever flopped anywhere near as dramatically as this has?

this is looking like a dud that only valve could pull off

The Virtual Boy, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

serious q has a game made by a major publisher, especially one with the reputation for quality valve has, ever flopped anywhere near as dramatically as this has?

Tons of times dude

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

fallout 76 comes to mind as a very recent example

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

babypolis posted:

No, no, he said publishers with reputations for quality.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

babypolis posted:

laughably bad as that was and still is, they at least seemed to give a poo poo for longer than roughly 3 days

"they" being both the players and the devs

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

laughably bad as that was and still is, they at least seemed to give a poo poo for longer than roughly 3 days

"they" being both the players and the devs

The people that still played fallout 76 after day 1 imo were actual psychos tho

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Just checked the Artifact reddit. Does anyone know why they expected a big update, or anything at all, to be announced today?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Expecting updates on Thursdays is a meme there now. They'll do the same thing next week.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Valve is a really weird company and the way they've dealt with Artifact's issues sheds some light on what might have happened with their canned half life and left 4 dead projects. It's very possible to salvage a screwed up game, but valve seems to just chuck their poo poo into the garbage unless it's perfect on day one. I guess that makes sense since their company is all "self- organizing" and people can hop on off any project whenever they feel like.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Valve doesn't do mediocre

"I'd rather be fired than quit" - Gabe

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Even Bitcoin stopped sinking eventually, but this is going all the way down to zero.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Incredible.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Buying and wearing a t-shirt that say "I bought artifact on launch" so people can instantly know what I'm about

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

Probably lots, but Valves in a weird position where development for their other live service games feels like it's languishing and this is the only new thing they'd released in years.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://steamcommunity.com/games/583950/announcements/detail/1819924505115920089

quote:

When we launched Artifact, we expected it would be the beginning of a long journey, that it would lay the foundation for years to come. Our plan was to immediately dive into our normal strategy of shipping a series of updates driven by the dialogue community members were having with each other and with us.

Obviously, things didn't turn out how we hoped. Artifact represents the largest discrepancy between our expectations for how one of our games would be received and the actual outcome. But we don't think that players misunderstand our game, or that they're playing it wrong. Artifact now represents an opportunity for us to improve our craft and use that knowledge to build better games.

Since launch, we've been looking carefully at how players interact with the game as well as gathering feedback. It has become clear that there are deep-rooted issues with the game and that our original update strategy of releasing new features and cards would be insufficient to address them. Instead, we believe the correct course of action is to take larger steps, to re-examine the decisions we've made along the way regarding game design, the economy, the social experience of playing, and more.

So what does this mean?

Moving forward, we'll be heads-down focusing on addressing these larger issues instead of shipping updates. While we expect this process of experimentation and development to take a significant amount of time, we’re excited to tackle this challenge and will get back to you as soon as we are ready.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

:fork:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

lol that's a very roundabout way to say they're completely dropping support.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

the game is so bad they don't even know where to begin

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ok, not much left to joke about after that announcement. I don't expect to hear about this game from them for at least a year. See you all then!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just give everyone all the cards. Sell card cosmetics. Have a buncha modes. Core game good. Monetization bad.

I still played a lot of draft and 0 constructed so I don’t think I wasted my 10 bucks or time. Oh well, see you in a year or... not. :smith:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I stopped playing after they nerfed my favorite red/green deck with the intention of coming back when a new set dropped but it looks like it's not even getting that far. I really like the game but I have no idea how they could ever get people to come back.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Hello from the goldmine

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

So glad that they’re going to focus on fixing big problems instead of releasing updates.

Because we’ve had so many updates so far.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Because we’ve had so many updates so far.

:five:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
so do i buy all the cards now or what

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Artifactgoldfish.com has also been down all week. I can't imagine why it would return at this point.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Just kill the game that post is the “let’s open the relationship” of game updates

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hellsau posted:

so do i buy all the cards now or what

axecoins will go UP when valve returns to save artifact

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the best part is nobody gets a refund lol

hope you cashed out in the first couple days!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

See you in n+1 years for the relaunch of Artifact alongside the glorious return of Half Life 3!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

Core game good.

nah

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Double Bill posted:

Even Bitcoin stopped sinking eventually, but this is going all the way down to zero.
https://www.howmuchdoesartifactcost.com/
not that anyone sane would ever pay a tenth of that

NmareBfly posted:

Core game good. Monetization bad.
:allears:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

No Wave posted:

ok, not much left to joke about after that announcement. I don't expect to hear about this game from them for at least a year. See you all then!

Lmao yeah right bitch you’re gonna be back tomorrow

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
When's half life 3

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Lmao yeah right bitch you’re gonna be back tomorrow

Can't wait to see your esports article about this post!

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah I got my money's worth out of the game in enjoyment and managed to get half my money's worth back too so it's like whatever.

Sadly this thread is not as entertaining as the anthem thread so I guess see you folks later I guess. Unless someone does melt down like the anthem thread

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

I mean if you released some good cards you'd have a lot less trouble so maybe do that too, dumbasses!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
so are they gonna have that million dollar artifact tournament or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Can't wait to see your esports article about this post!

Don’t work there anymore :)