Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SpacePig posted:

Duck becoming mundane is probably my favorite thing in this whole arc. I'm almost mad that people didn't like it.

Yeah I like it when important narrative events lead to meaningful gameplay decisions. Like would anyone remember that Merle has a magical wooden arm if not for a mountain of fanart/cosplay depicting said wooden arm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Trapick posted:

Yeah, I kind of feel this way too, which is doubly odd as Patreon seems pretty lovely in a lot of ways.

It's probably Jesse Thorn. He seems like an rear end.

He seems like a serial killer, stay tuned for his next podcast, "Put this skin on".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iwc4UGMyeg

The McElroys are creating the next hit RPG

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I like this idea that the McElroy's are being taken advantage of by big mean MaxFun and that they should def just go make their own patreon. Nevermind that in the past they've mentioned that being part of MaxFun lets them spend less time worrying about overhead junk and poo poo that isn't actually making podcasts, which seems important considering they're near-constantly working on them.

There's 0 doubt in my mind that splitting off from MaxFun would be a terrible decision for them. Aside from the work, moving over to something like Patreon would 100% be less financially stable than staying with MaxFun, and laffo if you think they would never ask for money or donations if they did that instead.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Crocoswine posted:

I like this idea that the McElroy's are being taken advantage of by big mean MaxFun and that they should def just go make their own patreon. Nevermind that in the past they've mentioned that being part of MaxFun lets them spend less time worrying about overhead junk and poo poo that isn't actually making podcasts, which seems important considering they're near-constantly working on them.

There's 0 doubt in my mind that splitting off from MaxFun would be a terrible decision for them. Aside from the work, moving over to something like Patreon would 100% be less financially stable than staying with MaxFun, and laffo if you think they would never ask for money or donations if they did that instead.

People gotta justify their Jesse Thorn hate somehow.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also I'd be shocked if MF didn't outright collapse without the mcelroy family on it given how they've ended up orders of magnitude more successful than the other like seventy people on the network + I wouldn't doubt it if that wasn't in the back of any of their heads if they ever did consider a patreon instead

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/McElroyFamily/status/1111727954827071488

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I don't know, seems like Jesse is taking all of that donation money while giving but a pittance to those poor mcelroy boys, to me.

flatluigi posted:

also I'd be shocked if MF didn't outright collapse without the mcelroy family on it given how they've ended up orders of magnitude more successful than the other like seventy people on the network + I wouldn't doubt it if that wasn't in the back of any of their heads if they ever did consider a patreon instead

MaxFun existed before the McElroy shows got huge, they'd exist without them too. You might not think it, but there are other shows on the network people listen to; hell, some people who listen to them might not even listen to a mcelroy-adjacent show!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only thing I don't like about Jesse is he seems very self aggrandizing. Like his NPR interview podcast, every promo for it is audio clips of a bunch of people telling him he's the best interviewer ever. But to be the head of a network you probably have to have a bit of an ego. Also his bits on JJGo go on waaaaay too long.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
There are plenty of multimedia networks run by assholes and I don't see what is specifically bad about this one

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You dont become a successful media personality without some degree of ego. Some have higher degrees than others. Doesn't necessarily mean they're a bad guy.

Here's my hot take: I like Maximum Fun. Deal with it, nerds.:c00lbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I hope we get more Dust when Amnesty ends, that one was and still is my favorite of the mini arcs.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Mcelroy RPG stream

I don’t know how to time stamp from my YouTube iPad app, so go to 9:44 and watch the next 10 seconds or so.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Seems like Dust would be a good idea for the live shows to move away from Balance, as it was the favorite of the experiments and people were left wanting more.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dadlands sounded a lot like Honey Heist as they were talking about it and I’m ok with that

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Max Fun seems fine but I'm a little surprised the McElroy company hasn't left just because they're big enough to at this point. Like why give anyone else a cut?

Maybe they don't want to cripple the network by having thousands of donors pull out all at once

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AndrewP posted:

Max Fun seems fine but I'm a little surprised the McElroy company hasn't left just because they're big enough to at this point. Like why give anyone else a cut?

Maybe they don't want to cripple the network by having thousands of donors pull out all at once

getting a bunch of people to handle setting up your ads, booking shows, etc etc is a big pain in the rear end. they probably couldn't just pull out without immediately hiring some people

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

AndrewP posted:

Same reason actors have agents.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

eke out posted:

getting a bunch of people to handle setting up your ads, booking shows, etc etc is a big pain in the rear end. they probably couldn't just pull out without immediately hiring some people

you can explain this as many times as you want but apparently everyone in here is incapable of understanding it or parsing why they might not want to do that

edit: or understanding that maxfun isn't built upon the backs of the mighty mcelroy giants, and that they won't immediately implode if they were to pull out

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe people were just fans of Beacon's Rat Baby voice.

It's Succotash's time to shine

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

eke out posted:

Yeah. It's impossible to overstate how much of a tedious pain in the rear end it is to do all that stuff.

I remember when Feral Audio collapsed and the Doughboys went a few months without a network. They have a pretty successful patreon but they joined up with another network since getting that experienced assistance on the administrative side of things is a godsend, even when you're already rolling in cash.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

What's everyone's favourite boco this year? Was msilmsilam any good? I was initially turned off when I realised they were doing Sawbones, Wonderful and Schmanners mini eps, but if you guys enjoyed it I could try again.

TAZ: Elementary was pretty good. I'm looking forward to Still Buffering, where the hosts played D&D, the GreatestGen live show, and the Greatest Discovery, which has done some kind of Fyre Festival thing.

Also it's really annoying when they don't put episode descriptions in the BoCo stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Something I'm glad of with Max Fun tho is that if the bros did go crazy and decide to take on all that administrative stuff themselves, they could make a clean break with zero problems holding them back. It's unfortunate that this doesn't hold true for every network!

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Crocoswine posted:

you can explain this as many times as you want but apparently everyone in here is incapable of understanding it or parsing why they might not want to do that

edit: or understanding that maxfun isn't built upon the backs of the mighty mcelroy giants, and that they won't immediately implode if they were to pull out
I'm not against maxfun, I support and I'm down with it, but I don't think they do exactly as much as...I'd expect a podcast network to do? From snippets here and there it sounds like they a) don't handle the actual hosting/technical side of the podcasts, b) don't handle the booking and stuff for tours (the Mcelroys explicitly have a booking agent, other podcast hosts I've heard talk have said similar), c) don't have a dedicated editor podcasts can use.

So they definitely sell the ads, mange the maxfundrive and payments, allow for cross-promotion between shows, etc. Do they also offer good medical insurance or anything? I'm mostly curious about what they do for their 25% or whatever it is. But, whatever, the boys can be part of whatever they want, I'll toss money at them because I dig them.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think they just like MaxFun cuz it's extremely on brand for them

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Waffleman_ posted:

I will at least agree that maybe the brothers have been a bit overly aggressive about the Drive this year
I don't have the sense that they're being more aggressive than any other year, but the nature of the MaxFunDrive definitely penalizes anyone who listens to multiple shows.

I'm a proud MaxFun supporter, but back when I listened to 6+ MaxFun shows I got real sick of hearing people hype the $0.30 engraved nail clippers you get at the $10/mo level or whatever.

Tears In A Vial posted:

Was msilmsilam any good?
Only to the extent you find it fun to hear a group of in-laws read Wikipedia articles to each other.

I swore that on the original mslmslam they actually bothered to answer a couple of listener questions. This one was... not good.

Tears In A Vial posted:

the GreatestGen live show
The only pieces of BoCo I've liked this year (though I haven't listened to all of them) are
  • the Friendly Fire about Starship Troopers
  • the Stop Podcasting Yourself about Dead Presidents
  • the Greatest Gen / Flophouse crossover episode about Star Trek V

Apparently the thing I most crave is podcast hosts talking about a movie I haven't seen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just want to know if Down Periscope is a War Movie or a Pork Chop movie

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Trapick posted:

I'm not against maxfun, I support and I'm down with it, but I don't think they do exactly as much as...I'd expect a podcast network to do? From snippets here and there it sounds like they a) don't handle the actual hosting/technical side of the podcasts, b) don't handle the booking and stuff for tours (the Mcelroys explicitly have a booking agent, other podcast hosts I've heard talk have said similar), c) don't have a dedicated editor podcasts can use.

So they definitely sell the ads, mange the maxfundrive and payments, allow for cross-promotion between shows, etc. Do they also offer good medical insurance or anything? I'm mostly curious about what they do for their 25% or whatever it is. But, whatever, the boys can be part of whatever they want, I'll toss money at them because I dig them.

A lot of the podcasts are produced in LA and share producers, recording engineers, record in the maxfun studio, etc. Plus cross-promoting is really good for building each other's audiences. I think I got into maxfun podcasts via Judge John Hodgman which got me into Jordan Jesse Go which got me into MBMBAM and other stuff from there.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The only thing I don't like about Jesse is he seems very self aggrandizing. Like his NPR interview podcast, every promo for it is audio clips of a bunch of people telling him he's the best interviewer ever. But to be the head of a network you probably have to have a bit of an ego. Also his bits on JJGo go on waaaaay too long.
Really? Jesse seems like one of the nicest guys ever. His show's promo consisting of a bunch of people saying that the show is good is just.. that's what promos are?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Entropic posted:

A lot of the podcasts are produced in LA and share producers, recording engineers, record in the maxfun studio, etc. Plus cross-promoting is really good for building each other's audiences. I think I got into maxfun podcasts via Judge John Hodgman which got me into Jordan Jesse Go which got me into MBMBAM and other stuff from there.

Agreed...heck the reason why I started listening to the McElroy bros in the first place is because they guested on JJGO. I listen to so many podcasts that the most consistent way for me to pick up new ones is hearing one or more of the hosts have a good showing on something I listen to.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
MaxFun just made their 25K new and upgrading members goal :toot:

I honestly didn't think they were gonna make it from the numbers earlier this week.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Crocoswine posted:

I don't know, seems like Jesse is taking all of that donation money while giving but a pittance to those poor mcelroy boys, to me.

MaxFun existed before the McElroy shows got huge, they'd exist without them too. You might not think it, but there are other shows on the network people listen to; hell, some people who listen to them might not even listen to a mcelroy-adjacent show!

Maxfun existed before the McElroy shows got huge... with like a tenth as many shows. I have no doubt that the boys are subsidizing a big chunk of those, through both drivebux and ads. I don't know if it'd be enough to kill Maxfun, but it would put a pretty sizable dent in the roster.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1111688091314606082

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is their dad the Woggle-Bug?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Moatman posted:

Maxfun existed before the McElroy shows got huge... with like a tenth as many shows. I have no doubt that the boys are subsidizing a big chunk of those, through both drivebux and ads. I don't know if it'd be enough to kill Maxfun, but it would put a pretty sizable dent in the roster.

sure thing buddy, that's definitely how it works. Jesus christ.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

apatheticman posted:

He seems like a serial killer, stay tuned for his next podcast, "Put this skin on".

poo poo, i blew my "i didn't know gabe and tycho post in this thread" joke too fast

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The TAZ boco is v good. Honey Heist was a delight

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Sorry for crudeness but I really did read Clint's Twitter handle as @DogCum

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I have literally never encountered any Jesse Thorn content outside of this thread complaining about him. It's super easy to avoid anything you dislike on this network or on social media, so I wonder if some people just go out of their way to make themselves angry.

Hasn't the unofficial Wiki already done that for a lot of episodes? Someone who put a lot of work into that is gonna be pissed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

FutonForensic posted:

Sorry for crudeness but I really did read Clint's Twitter handle as @DogCum

Don’t be ridiculous. That’s Jon Arbuckle’s twitter account.

sticklefifer posted:

I have literally never encountered any Jesse Thorn content outside of this thread complaining about him. It's super easy to avoid anything you dislike on this network or on social media, so I wonder if some people just go out of their way to make themselves angry.

:same: I’m sure I’ve heard his voice in many ads but I couldn’t tell you what the man looks or sounds like, let alone anything about his personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Ariong posted:

I couldn’t tell you what the man looks or sounds like,

no-one ruin this for ariong