Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TaintedBalance posted:

So I've been kicking around different ideas on this for years, and figured it would probably be better to just ask here. I'd like to run a game in the King's Field universe (FROM Softwares core RPG series before they dropped Demon Souls and changed the gaming world). There are three main points I'm interested translating from the world into the actual gameplay:

*Cool and nifty weapons and armor (I was originally considering Exalted 3e because I think artifacts actually work pretty well here)
    *Magic and melee being freely mixed together (this is where I'm stretching)
    *The kind of forlorn lost feeling that is brought on by the forces of evil already winning the first round (this is where I'm REALLY lost)

RULESET: Normal to Crunchy
SUPPORT: Established would be wonderful (at least being able to just reskin a bunch of existing stuff) but down to DIY is fine
CHARGEN: Involved to Days, preferably non-class based but if they are relatively loose, that can work.
SETTING: Universal to Neutral

I don't think the per slot armor system from the KF games is really a value add, so don't need anything that in depth. Stuff like piercing vs bashing is also mostly superfluous, but support for elemental damage and status effects is a plus. Honestly, as I type this out, I realize I'm looking to see if there are some better suggestions out there than just doing a conversion based on Exalted 3e. It would take a decent amount of work to do this, but could work out.

Tempted to suggest Darksun 4E (Dungeons and Dragons) based on your second and third *s. I don't know of anything that balances melee and magic as well. Class based though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Valor also may be worth looking at except it's like... Too crunchy. It's very crunchy. Oops all crunch.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've not played it, but your list sounds a lot like the warhammer rpg.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

LLSix posted:

Tempted to suggest Darksun 4E (Dungeons and Dragons) based on your second and third *s. I don't know of anything that balances melee and magic as well. Class based though.

Ya, I considered 4e, but its too rigid for what I want to do unfortunately. Or I'd have to make a bunch of custom classes which is something I do NOT want to do.

Moriatti posted:

Valor also may be worth looking at except it's like... Too crunchy. It's very crunchy. Oops all crunch.

The systems look cool, but I think this is probably too over the top for the setting. Definitely gonna keep in my back pocket though, thanks!

lofi posted:

I've not played it, but your list sounds a lot like the warhammer rpg.

Uh, that's actually not half bad. At least I might steal some stuff from it - warhams is probably TOO dark and lethal, but there are good ideas there.

TaintedBalance fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 29, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Fragged Aeternum is a Soulsborne-inspired take on Fragged Empire that may be of use here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/228463

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TaintedBalance posted:

Or I'd have to make a bunch of custom classes which is something I do NOT want to do.

Why can't you just reskin the existing ones? What is missing from the existing 4E classes that would be present in custom classes?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 29, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PMush Perfect posted:

Very much so. A dry, structured "my turn, your turn, my turn, your turn" and "here is the dungeon/battle/etc the DM planned" are against the entire point of PBTA.

DW has some issues, but neither of these are amongst them. The big problem is too many attributes, some of which have nothing to do, and the Defy Danger move which is both over broad and easy to exploit.

It was groundbreaking when it came out, but Fellowship and Legacy are both better games.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Lemon-Lime posted:

Why can't you just reskin the existing ones? What is missing from the existing 4E classes that would be present in custom classes?

No one should ever, ever have to make custom classes for 4e. Just reskin like hell and make up 1 or 2 new powers at the absolute most.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Okay, so I'm looking for a system with low GM overhead and fun conflict resolution (whether it's combat or not) for the sequel to my dimension-hopping game. It was ran in Valor, which was fun but the amount of prep required for opponents burned me out. The basic idea is the player characters go to all kinds of dimensions solving problems in them. There's been some odd ones like a titanic bear floating in a void, with goblins living on it. A dimension with sapient rainbows. High-tech dimensions and low-tech dimensions. Ones with a lot of magic and ones with less. As for the PCs, they were a similarly varied lot (with some being replaced as their players left)--two scout robots (one a cat), a magical girl, a superhero, a psionic mecha pilot, a magician, and a ex-paladin ex-world conqueror (basically a defeated RPG endboss). The sequel will feature a different PC cast, one of them the reincarnation of the endboss of the previous game.

I'd like a system that can handle all that. And, yes, I'm aware of FATE, in fact, it'd be my default fallback for a game like this. I just wanted to explore my options.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Strike! is a pretty good fallback that has a similar level of punchies. Jim has a buncha premade enemies both in and out of the book, but even if not, they aren't hard to build.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Okay, so I'm looking for a system with low GM overhead and fun conflict resolution (whether it's combat or not) for the sequel to my dimension-hopping game. It was ran in Valor, which was fun but the amount of prep required for opponents burned me out. The basic idea is the player characters go to all kinds of dimensions solving problems in them. There's been some odd ones like a titanic bear floating in a void, with goblins living on it. A dimension with sapient rainbows. High-tech dimensions and low-tech dimensions. Ones with a lot of magic and ones with less. As for the PCs, they were a similarly varied lot (with some being replaced as their players left)--two scout robots (one a cat), a magical girl, a superhero, a psionic mecha pilot, a magician, and a ex-paladin ex-world conqueror (basically a defeated RPG endboss). The sequel will feature a different PC cast, one of them the reincarnation of the endboss of the previous game.

I'd like a system that can handle all that. And, yes, I'm aware of FATE, in fact, it'd be my default fallback for a game like this. I just wanted to explore my options.

Sounds like your typical BESM party.

Note that BESM is NOT realistic and the system allows for some frankly bizarre outcomes. But it covers everything you want!

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Mirage posted:

Sounds like your typical BESM party.

Note that BESM is NOT realistic and the system allows for some frankly bizarre outcomes. But it covers everything you want!

I know they didn't specify that they want a good game, but I thought that was a basic assumption.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'm aware of BESM and also aware that it's not a good game.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Any genre with action and fighting, fantasy is fine but would prefer other. Narrative based / fiction-first / etc (as in pbta or fate) but not necessarily rules light. Vibe not too dark, and nothing that you'd object to playing with a high school kid. I am already aware of strike, fate, dungeon world, apocalypse world, etc.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's always Feng Shui 2, if you want to go for the action movie feel.

Then there's Spellbound Kingdoms. It's a fantasy swashbuckling game in the vein of Stardust or The Princess Bride with some of the best mechanics out there. It's technically not a fiction-first game, but it's built on very strong narrative bedrock.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You probably want to be more precise because it's difficult to recommend anything specific in response to those requirements.

Do you want a game that is entirely about fighting, or just a game that has some combat mechanics?

All of these are good, very to somewhat rules light (a few of them are even fiction-first), and have some to a lot of combat: All of Their Strengths, Blades Against the Dark, Feng Shui 2, Marvel Heroic (if you can find it since it's OoP), Panic at the Dojo, Technoir, The One Ring, Tianxia, Tiny Dungeon, Warbirds.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm looking for a game designed around being stuck in a location of limited size dealing with an external threat. Night of the living dead, the mist, that style of thing, but also things like being stuck in a moon base. Something designed around the flow of hunker down, temporary excursions, argue, gently caress up, threat escalates, argue, plan an escape, temporary excursions, final escape, with the primary threat being The Outside in some manner.

RULESET: Any, support for arguing nice but not required.
SUPPORT: Ideally some set stuff to build off and get a feel
CHARGEN: Not Days
SETTING: Ideally some set stuff to build off and get a feel

e: the more I'm thinking about it I'm looking for the feelings of claustrophobia where you don't like where you are but leaving is worse but also unavoidable.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 28, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'd run it with Dread or Hillfolk - Dread if you want a one-shot, Hillfolk for a longer-term game. Hillfolk's entire focus is on character emotional conflict - what does everyone want emotionally from each other in a scene. (eg, 'we know we're going to argue in this scene, but what I really want is you to acknowledge my expertise'. It's very storygame and rules-lite, though, so you'd have to all be on the same page as to how scary Outside is.

Does anyone know of any RPG systems that can do samurai duels or cowboy showdowns well? I'm thinking (ideally) something to replicate that rising tension of the faceoff, the noticing small details of the others' stance, churchbells ring, gravel crunches underfoot, then the sudden fast burst of violence. I'm not averse to crunch as long as the bit where combat actually happens is fast.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for a game designed around being stuck in a location of limited size dealing with an external threat. Night of the living dead, the mist, that style of thing, but also things like being stuck in a moon base. Something designed around the flow of hunker down, temporary excursions, argue, gently caress up, threat escalates, argue, plan an escape, temporary excursions, final escape, with the primary threat being The Outside in some manner.

RULESET: Any, support for arguing nice but not required.
SUPPORT: Ideally some set stuff to build off and get a feel
CHARGEN: Not Days
SETTING: Ideally some set stuff to build off and get a feel

e: the more I'm thinking about it I'm looking for the feelings of claustrophobia where you don't like where you are but leaving is worse but also unavoidable.
You could check out Geiger Counter, either the Beta or Gamma/Hubris version (Gamma is a very slightly updated version of Hubris, but with a formatting error that splits the first page in two for some reason). They're both survival horror film-inspired, both have maps for tracking where the characters are, and both have a rotating GM-like role called the Director, who sets up scenes and plays the antagonists, but they differ in a couple of key ways:
  • Gamma/Hubris is more focused and have an implicit setting (Alien-inspired sci-fi horror with megacorps); Beta is much more relaxed about setting
  • Gamma/Hubris is much more rules-light; Beta has more rules (though it's still pretty light), especially for bonuses for character motivations, skills, and abilities, and for resources found in the environment
  • Gamma/Hubris assumes that the characters are pretty unsympathetic to start with, and has rules for 'Deceptions' - negative things that could be true about each character, and which could lead the characters to betray one another or side with the horror
Other than that, any other survival horror game could potentially work - Dread, as lofi suggested, or Slasher Flick, or similar games.

lofi posted:

Does anyone know of any RPG systems that can do samurai duels or cowboy showdowns well? I'm thinking (ideally) something to replicate that rising tension of the faceoff, the noticing small details of the others' stance, churchbells ring, gravel crunches underfoot, then the sudden fast burst of violence. I'm not averse to crunch as long as the bit where combat actually happens is fast.
The Mountain Witch is fairly light, but it has a duel mechanic that draws out the conflict with both sides gauging their chances until the decisive moment of violence. I'd advise against paying money for the game, though, since the designer ran a scam where he KSed for a second edition, then gave all the money to a cult he's a part of and abandoned the project, but you can get the original version for free at that link.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Play Dread.

Get everyone into a small room, for example kitchen or spare bedroom with a table and chairs crammed into it.

Turn off the lights. Turn on one dim cool-white lantern or similar and put it at floor level.

Get a flickery or otherwise hosed up flashlight with low battery. Houserule: You must hold said flashlight while you make a pull.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The last guy who ran Dread for my group came up with a great houserule - when you're acting directly against the Big Bad, you get ten seconds to make your pull.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

15 seconds of oxygen remaining.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

UnCO3 posted:

the designer ran a scam where he KSed for a second edition, then gave all the money to a cult he's a part of and abandoned the project,

Well, that answers that question.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

UnCO3 posted:

the designer ran a scam where he KSed for a second edition, then gave all the money to a cult he's a part of and abandoned the project,

Any source on this?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
It's partly circumstantial, but basically the designer, Timothy Kleinert, is a member of a cult-ish movement/commune in Chicago called Jesus People USA (it's listed on his facebook page and there's a bunch of mentions of him working for/being a part of the group elsewhere online) and JPUSA is in a decades-long decline due to authoritarian practices and a child sex abuse scandal. Most of the work for the KS had either allegedly already been done before the campaign launched (rules updates and text rewrites) or would have been done by others (graphic design, layout, several additional chapters), with only a relatively small amount left to be done by himself before sending it to be produced. At this point it seems like he's abandoned the campaign, after already announcing delays - his last proper update was last August (to say that everything was on schedule and that higher backer numbers would mean lower printing costs), and his last update at all was an apology for delays in January.

There might not be any malice on his part, but he's part of a nepotistic religious movement that enforces the belief that all things should be shared between their members and is probably in bad shape financially (they ran a Christian music festival for years but shuttered it in 2012). I don't know what the order of events of this whole thing was, but it seems reasonable that somewhere along the line he decided to give the money to the group, maybe after some kind of coercion. If it weren't for his involvement with them I'd put it down to stress or depression or anxiety (some of which afaik he's suffered from in the past), but the added factor of a cult changes things.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m going to be running games for a group of newbies and am in the “We want to play Dungeons & Dragons” scenario.

I’d prefer to run something PbtA and am leaning toward Dungeon World (plus Homebrew World or something) or The Fellowship (2e). That said, I’ll have up to seven players on the weeks everyone can make it.

I know sharing the spotlight will be my biggest challenge (and part of why I don’t want to run 5e or B/X). Does anyone have thoughts on a PbtA hack or similar fantasy-themed game that can handle that many players?

I also enjoy running Blades, and want to make sure there are enough playbooks for everyone to have something unique.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thanks everyone, you have provided exactly what I asked for which is unfortunately not what I want! My fault.

quote:

Dread
I should have mentioned one of my regular players is visually impaired.

UnCO3 posted:

You could check out Geiger Counter, either the Beta or Gamma/Hubris version (Gamma is a very slightly updated version of Hubris, but with a formatting error that splits the first page in two for some reason). They're both survival horror film-inspired, both have maps for tracking where the characters are, and both have a rotating GM-like role called the Director, who sets up scenes and plays the antagonists, but they differ in a couple of key ways:
  • Gamma/Hubris is more focused and have an implicit setting (Alien-inspired sci-fi horror with megacorps); Beta is much more relaxed about setting
  • Gamma/Hubris is much more rules-light; Beta has more rules (though it's still pretty light), especially for bonuses for character motivations, skills, and abilities, and for resources found in the environment
  • Gamma/Hubris assumes that the characters are pretty unsympathetic to start with, and has rules for 'Deceptions' - negative things that could be true about each character, and which could lead the characters to betray one another or side with the horror
Other than that, any other survival horror game could potentially work - Dread, as lofi suggested, or Slasher Flick, or similar games.
Geiger counter looks cool and I'll definitely be pulling it out at some point soon, but for this I'm looking for something more GMey.

I hosed up the Ruleset section, I guess I'm looking for lite and higher. I'm very much looking for support for "exploring a small location" and "going outside in a hostile environment", or at least a hell of a lot of GM advice. e.g. in a *world hack there'd be one or more moves that specifically cover going from the house/mall/base through zombies/monster mist/arctic weather to get to the gas pump/car/different part of the base with a bunch of thematic consequences seeds to choose from. Also some way for searching for and finding stuff in the house/mall/base a bit more interesting than wandering around a grid map making perception checks.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 1, 2019

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I’m going to be running games for a group of newbies and am in the “We want to play Dungeons & Dragons” scenario.

I’d prefer to run something PbtA and am leaning toward Dungeon World (plus Homebrew World or something) or The Fellowship (2e). That said, I’ll have up to seven players on the weeks everyone can make it.

I know sharing the spotlight will be my biggest challenge (and part of why I don’t want to run 5e or B/X). Does anyone have thoughts on a PbtA hack or similar fantasy-themed game that can handle that many players?

I also enjoy running Blades, and want to make sure there are enough playbooks for everyone to have something unique.

You want Fellowship and some of the extra books of your players' choice for variety. Basically any time you ask yourself "Should I use Dungeon World," the answer is "no, use Fellowship."

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Are there any good systems for playing young superheros that aren't called Masks?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

OscarDiggs posted:

Are there any good systems for playing young superheros that aren't called Masks?
... Dr. Magnethands? Though that much more of a 'get drunk and gently caress around' game. There's also Mutants and Masterminds, though that might be a bit dated (it's d20).

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Splicer posted:

Thanks everyone, you have provided exactly what I asked for which is unfortunately not what I want! My fault.

I should have mentioned one of my regular players is visually impaired.

Geiger counter looks cool and I'll definitely be pulling it out at some point soon, but for this I'm looking for something more GMey.

I hosed up the Ruleset section, I guess I'm looking for lite and higher. I'm very much looking for support for "exploring a small location" and "going outside in a hostile environment", or at least a hell of a lot of GM advice. e.g. in a *world hack there'd be one or more moves that specifically cover going from the house/mall/base through zombies/monster mist/arctic weather to get to the gas pump/car/different part of the base with a bunch of thematic consequences seeds to choose from. Also some way for searching for and finding stuff in the house/mall/base a bit more interesting than wandering around a grid map making perception checks.
I feel like Grunt, Black Seven, and Red Markets probably all do parts of what you're looking for, though not all (Black Seven in particular has rules for finding and moving from safe hiding places vs being exposed to possible threats vs being noticed by threats vs being both exposed and noticed). Depending on your timeframe I could try putting something together that's very specific to your requirements, though it wouldn't come with a setting.

OscarDiggs posted:

This depends a lot on the parameters in the OP (ruleset, support, character generation, and setting), what in particular you want from the game (e.g. what 'young' means here - drama and finding yourself?), and what's pushing you away from Masks (if anything). Admittedly, superheroes aren't my thing, but other people will have a better shot at finding a game that works with this extra info.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

PMush Perfect posted:

... Dr. Magnethands? Though that much more of a 'get drunk and gently caress around' game. There's also Mutants and Masterminds, though that might be a bit dated (it's d20).

Both are options to look into, sure.

UnCO3 posted:

This depends a lot on the parameters in the OP (ruleset, support, character generation, and setting), what in particular you want from the game (e.g. what 'young' means here - drama and finding yourself?), and what's pushing you away from Masks (if anything). Admittedly, superheroes aren't my thing, but other people will have a better shot at finding a game that works with this extra info.

Masks is very good for playing the types of stories Masks was made for, but I find not very good for stories outside of it's remit. For example, the Transformed is always in some way about how awful it is to be made into a monster. You can't play a character thats likes "Holy poo poo I'm a giant lizard this is awesome." Masks is perfectly fine, but it's scope is a limited. (I have a few issues with PbtA in general, but for the most part I find Masks doesn't have those issues.)

Following the OP then.
Ruleset; Lite/Normal/Crunchy.
Support; User Generated
Chargen; Less then an hour is what I would consider quick.
Setting; Neutral

And yes, I want a game system that can balance the awesome actiony parts of being a hero to the dramatic parts of still being in school and not being taken seriously.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

OscarDiggs posted:

Following the OP then.
Ruleset; Lite/Normal/Crunchy.
Support; User Generated
Chargen; Less then an hour is what I would consider quick.
Setting; Neutral

And yes, I want a game system that can balance the awesome actiony parts of being a hero to the dramatic parts of still being in school and not being taken seriously.

I don't know your opinions of anime, but try checking out Valor? It was the first thing to come to mind after hearing that last sentence.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

OscarDiggs posted:

There's a more generic PbtA-based superhero RPG called "Worlds in Peril" which I haven't had a chance to play but looks promising.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I've been thinking about running a game based on Kamen Rider a lot lately. Is Savage Tokusatsu the best way to go about this? I've seen other toku themed games out there, but they usually specifically draw inspiration from Super Sentai or magical girls, and I don't want that.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

King of Solomon posted:

I've been thinking about running a game based on Kamen Rider a lot lately. Is Savage Tokusatsu the best way to go about this? I've seen other toku themed games out there, but they usually specifically draw inspiration from Super Sentai or magical girls, and I don't want that.

Double Cross might be a good pick too, but it's not specifically Kamen Rider (it's very fluff-agnostic).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Leraika posted:

Double Cross might be a good pick too, but it's not specifically Kamen Rider (it's very fluff-agnostic).

I'll look into that, thanks.

To be clear though, I'm not asking necessarily for something specifically Kamen Rider so much as something that ISN'T primarily inspired by Sentai or magical girls. They're specific enough subgenres that trying to run Rider in them wouldn't really end well.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

Valor might work well, since it's also extremely fluff-agnostic. That might also depend on how much crunch you want, though, since it's quite tactical.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I wanna do a modern day game with investigations, cults infiltration and possible aliens and their tech, coming off of starfinder and DnD I think the group wants something less clunky, any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

Delta Green?

Or The Fall Of Delta Green / Trail of Cthulhu / other GUMSHOE games?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumshoe_System