Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Everyone saying being hard is core to souls games is dumb as poop cause they're all actually about their dumb lore and set design. People enjoying the gameplay are enjoying the art wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

I certainly am glad I'm not someone like LobosJr. who is so good he breezes through the games pretty much instantly.

Maybe they should like add difficulty selections so people like LobosJr., average players and bad players can all have a somewhat similar experiences with games

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

pls prove why having options to tune the difficulty for different peoples level of mechanical proficiency is objectively better than not having the options

i think youre the one who is supposed to prove this since it runs counter to my argument

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

That is to say talking about how art is intended to be enjoyed (In the way that I personally enjoy it) and getting mad that someone thinks it'd be fine to enjoy in another way is criminally loving stupid.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Andrast posted:

Maybe they should like add difficulty selections so people like LobosJr., average players and bad player can all have a somewhat similar experiences with games

Well, they do add harder difficulties. Though you have to unlock them, which is less than ideal, I think.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That is to say talking about how art is intended to be enjoyed (In the way that I personally enjoy it) and getting mad that someone thinks it'd be fine to enjoy in another way is criminally loving stupid.

its more like people liking art and other people getting mad that it isnt easier to enjoy. in fact thats literally what it is

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

i think youre the one who is supposed to prove this since it runs counter to my argument

I know multiple people who have bounced off of souls games because they are too difficult for them. They would have enjoyed the games more if they were easier.

The same with fire emblem before they added the difficulty options.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

its more like people liking art and other people getting mad that it isnt easier to enjoy. in fact thats literally what it is

Nah there's a lot of cool poo poo in souls games that aren't tied to the games being difficult or in fact the gameplay at all so acting like the gameplay is the whole of the art is once again criminally stupid.

Bloodborne is legit amazing at nailing its horror tone and art direction and very little of it has to to do with the fact that some people think the gameplay is hard.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Andrast posted:

I know multiple people who have bounced off of souls games because they are too difficult for them. They would have enjoyed the games more if they were easier.

Cool. That sounds like their own problem, much how the excessive difficulty options in fire emblem made me bounce off them, which is my own problem.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Andrast posted:

i thought i would enjoy fire emblem if it was easier but that turned out not to be true lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

Cool. That sounds like their own problem, much how the excessive difficulty options in fire emblem made me bounce off them, which is my own problem.

:psyduck:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

scary ghost dog posted:

i thought i would enjoy fire emblem if it was easier but that turned out not to be true lol

If i play classic I feel like Im missing out on things if people die and if I play casual I feel like I'm missing out on unique gameplay situations that would have arisen if people died. Whoops!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

literally nobody is saying games should be easier across the board so more people can enjoy them. they want the option. and if the response to that is "the resources to do that aren't there" then say that instead of complaining about entitled gamers

I think I’m kind of sort of in that camp

I tried to voice it earlier, but I think a soulsbourn game designed with multiple difficulty modes in mind would be different from one that had one difficulty in mind

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Different people have different neuroses and anxieties.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
It's hosed up people banned the Analysis of Art because it ruined the value of Art

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Like if nothing else, at least try and take home the fact that what might be liberating and would increase accessibility for one person can actually be stifling and an obstacle for someone else.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dark souls has a lot of poo poo focused on the stories in them and they tell them through item pick ups and stupid monologues and what in saying is they've tricked a generation of awful elitist nerds into banging their heads against a wall to get the high fantasy equivalent of Gone Homes style of narrative and pretending that the fact that they were willing and able to do so somehow makes it magical and holy.

Like yeah I enjoyed it too but that doesn't mean semien playing it with a take half damage modifier is somehow destroying the art work.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CuddlyZombie posted:

Like if nothing else, at least try and take home the fact that what might be liberating and would increase accessibility for one person can actually be stifling and an obstacle for someone else.

If you acknowledge your broken brain you need to at least be empathetic with people with different kinds of broken brains. Maybe they can add a "hide difficulty setting" for you!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

It's literally 2 A or B options in the new fire emblems. I think this is entirely just a you thing and not a strong basis to judge the idea of accessibility on for a larger swathe of the population.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dark souls has a lot of poo poo focused on the stories in them and they tell them through item pick ups and stupid monologues and what in saying is they've tricked a generation of awful elitist nerds into banging their heads against a wall to get the high fantasy equivalent of Gone Homes style of narrative and pretending that the fact that they were willing and able to do so somehow makes it magical and holy.

Like yeah I enjoyed it too but that doesn't mean semien playing it with a take half damage modifier is somehow destroying the art work.

nobody plays fromsoft games for the narrative

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
holy gently caress you nerds are insufferable

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

I love FROM style storytelling a lot

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

scary ghost dog posted:

*raises hand*

That's one of the reasons I play them.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dias posted:

If you acknowledge your broken brain you need to at least be empathetic with people with different kinds of broken brains. Maybe they can add a "hide difficulty setting" for you!

Uh, I am. That I think an "easy mode" in a dark souls game would ruin the point of it doesn't mean I don't care about other people with mental disorders. Jesus christ.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Like, that's really loving insulting, dude.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

Firstly, both our arguments are subjective and if you can't "disprove my thesis" either then this is basically saying "you started it"

Secondly, like I already said, nobody is arguing that the difficulty is part of the experience, but difficulty is also subjective, and experienced differently by different people.

Third, your and idiot

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SgtSteel91 posted:

How does DMC5 do it?

Isn’t there some mechanic where the combat music gets added to/better the higher your combo rank? Does the easy mode there disable that or something so you can hear the SSS version of the music no matter your skill level?

Devil May Cry has a lot of ways it rewards and acknowledges how well you are doing.

The base difficulties are Human and Devil Hunter, easy and normal respectively. They are both the baseline way to play the game, the former having the most passive enemy AI and the lowest health and damage in the game. Devil Hunter everything is at a standard level where enemies are decently active and don't die to a stiff breeze except braindead scrub enemies like Empusas and Hells. These are the easiest modes to do well on and it is absurdly easy to S-Rank the missions and maintain style ranking during fights because it does not ask a lot of you. Once you beat Devil Hunter, you unlock Son of Sparda. Son of Sparda is the game's hard mode and on top of the obvious poo poo like increasing enemy stats, it changes enemy encounters. This means that the scrub enemies you fought at the start of the game, might have mid-game to late-game enemies mixed into the encounters now or every enemy in said encounter may change entirely. Not only does it offer a different method of approach in some cases, but for the characters who don't encounter these enemies it offers a different idea of thinking and attack entirely. Once you beat Son of Sparda, you unlock Dante Must Die, the hardest difficulty in the game. This is where enemies are at their most boosted, they use the Son of Sparda enemy placements, and enemies now have Devil Trigger. After a certain period of time in fighting them, enemies will permanently go into an enhanced state where it reduces both hitstun and damage on any attacks they receive. Not only does mean you have to do more, but it creates a method of play where you have to think of what enemies are most necessary to kill ASAP and how you are going to do that and what you can deal with. It is the most tasking and requires the most of the player to do it. Once you defeat those you unlock Heaven and Hell and Hell and Hell difficulties, which are gimmick difficulties where everything dies in one hit including you or the latter which is just you die in one hit.

You don't really need to push beyond the difficulties you're comfortable with if you don't want to. You get poo poo for beating them, but they are not necessities nor are you missing out if you don't unlock Super Dante which the game penalizes you for using anyways. The only thing they do to discourage you from doing anything in the game is using the Auto Assist feature, because it limits the control scheme of the game for the sake of simplicity, but if you want to do it the only thing the game does is penalize your score a small amount at the end of missions. I personally always play every difficulty in a DMC game, but that is because I am in love with Devil May Cry to the point I want to bleed the game of stuff to do and even now in DMC5 I go into training mode to do combo poo poo and fight the harder bosses to find new ways to exploit patterns or style on them. It is entirely up to the player how they want to push forward and approach the games.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SgtSteel91 posted:

How does DMC5 do it?

Isn’t there some mechanic where the combat music gets added to/better the higher your combo rank? Does the easy mode there disable that or something so you can hear the SSS version of the music no matter your skill level?

Easy Mode makes enemies less active, makes your combo gauge deplete more slowly, and decreases the amount of style you lose for getting hit, in addition to lowering how much health you lose for taking hits. Enemies have fewer hp though, so they die faster, and in short fights it can be harder to hit SSS before everything is dead. Style is not much easier, but the core game becomes easier.

Combo Assist changes a core mechanic... if you just pound sword, instead of doing the same basic combo over and over, you will automatically cycle through available moves, and build style as if you had done those combos manually. It doesn’t make the game easier, but does make high style combos pretty easy.

You can use either, or both, or play on hard and post sick combo videos to YouTube.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

scary ghost dog posted:

Cuz VaatiVidya/EpicNameBro/etc don't have hundreds of thousands of views for their lore videos at all.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah this might be the dumbest thing you’ve said. I played Bloodborne EXCLUSIVELY because of the narrative, lore, and setting, and it’s why I don’t want to play other souls games.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CuddlyZombie posted:

Like, that's really loving insulting, dude.

Dude, your last post was "too many options feel like I'm missing content, so they bad". It's petty and FYGM, but you acknowledge it's your thing. Let people that wanna play an easy mode do so.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

Uh, I am. That I think an "easy mode" in a dark souls game would ruin the point of it doesn't mean I don't care about other people with mental disorders. Jesus christ.

Like I said the point of dark souls isn't to be hard. It might be to you but to other people they mean and experience different things about them that might have no connection to that. Just cause you latch on to a specific aspect of a work doesn't make it the whole of the work. It's the fun thing about art it's all personal interpretation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

Nah actually you're wrong. The actual best poo poo in bloodborne and the entire reason my girlfriend got into it was the lovecraft story poo poo and art and tone. Once again your are not everyone ans your interpretation of a work is not the one true interpretation.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Cuz VaatiVidya/EpicNameBro/etc don't have hundreds of thousands of views for their lore videos at all.

the easy mode argument is like saying these videos should be on disc for players that lack reading comprehension

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
If you want to compare playing a video game to analyzing a piece of art, wanting an easy mode is more like saying "museums/art programs should be more accessible" than "i want art to be simpler because i'm stupid"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

the easy mode argument is like saying these videos should be on disc for players that lack reading comprehension

Nah it's actually just saying people enjoy thing differently from you and that doesn't make their interests less valid or flawed.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

If you want to compare playing a video game to analyzing a piece of art, wanting an easy mode is more like saying "museums/art programs should be more accessible" than "i want art to be simpler because i'm stupid"

thats more analogous to saying you should be able to play games on any device

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dias posted:

Dude, your last post was "too many options feel like I'm missing content, so they bad". It's petty and FYGM, but you acknowledge it's your thing. Let people that wanna play an easy mode do so.

My point isn't that they bad and I don't think it was a bad move to add casual difficulty. Hell I think it is a good move. But yes it is not something for me. I think it would be better for it to be in the series moving forward and I can bounce off of it, then it not be in the series, I guess.

But I don't feel that way about souls games! I think its an apples and oranges situation!

Moreover, I'm upset all the while writing this, because you've loving equivocated me thinking that an easy mode would diminish the artistic value in this series' case, with a lack of empathy. I think you're wrong, but it's such an outrageous thing to me for you to say that I'm Actually Mad, on the internet. No punchline

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nah it's actually just saying people enjoy thing differently from you and that doesn't make their interests less valid or flawed.

i thought the people who want easy modes dont enjoy the games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lowtax should provide accessibility options for Scary Ghost Dog to start making better posts.