Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My latest:

I was focusing on my edging on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Finished my Imperial Knight last night. Love me some weathered hazard stripes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:drat:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hazard stripes own, and it turns out my favourite yellow - Tamiya flat yellow - is literally the ISO colour for hazard stripe yellow.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Put the models in a ziploc bag filled with Simple Green or Krud Kutter and the rest of the ultrasonic cleaner with water and run it. Yeah, you'll probably need to scrub them a bit.

What's the purpose of the ziploc bag? Doesn't it interfere with the ultrasonics ability to clean?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Duct Tape posted:

Finished my Imperial Knight last night. Love me some weathered hazard stripes.

:gizz:

No, seriously, that’s an amazing job!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
I some years back grabbed some individual skaven to make a blood bowl team. Because it's this hobby, I only am getting around to them now, to find a miss-pack.

So I need a single plastic stormvermin back body, most likely just another stormvermin. I can't seem to find eBay individual model sellers any more, any good links for such a thing delivering to Australia?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Ebay should have you covered! https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=stormvermin+bits&_sacat=0

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Failson posted:

FANTASTIC! Mind if I ask which brands/colors those are?

Spectra tex fluorescent set and golden high flow fluorescent for the pink and blue, though I do not recommend the golden blue too much. All fluorescent colors have poor coverage, but the blue is especially bad.

Also fluorescent colors aren't light fast, so you can't store your models out in the open, but at least for the spectra tex I've had color swatches out of direct light though in indirect light for a few years with no noticeable difference.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Scale has some new Fluor paints that I've been considering trying.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I've seen those and considered buying them, but there comes a point when you're like how many fluorescent paints do I really need. (All of them)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I got a sotar 2020, I guess it needs to be running for the most part at 15 or 18ish psi? All these airbrush compressors I see online seem to say they can do like 30-90. Is there a specific kind of compressor I should be getting, or is there a way to limit psi freon these other ones?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I got a sotar 2020, I guess it needs to be running for the most part at 15 or 18ish psi? All these airbrush compressors I see online seem to say they can do like 30-90. Is there a specific kind of compressor I should be getting, or is there a way to limit psi freon these other ones?

Just about any compressor you get has a regulator that let's you precisely adjust the pressure.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Harvey Mantaco posted:

https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Airbrush-Compressor-Multipurpose-Tattoo/dp/B01M33C8MV

this is the standard recommendation for a compressor that a lot of us have

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

darnon posted:

Scale has some new Fluor paints that I've been considering trying.

I picked them up on a whim, they take a couple of coats over white to get an even finish (at least the ones I've used so far) but that's via regular brush. I painted these glowy little bastards with them:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BveYj-pBFVp/

That's the green, orange and purple with GW washes for shading.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bad Decision Dino posted:

What's the purpose of the ziploc bag? Doesn't it interfere with the ultrasonics ability to clean?

You had concerns over using Simple Green. This way it's confined and you don't have to fill the entire cleaner with it. It shouldn't, it seems to work fine with my friend's cleaner.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Booyah- posted:

https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Airbrush-Compressor-Multipurpose-Tattoo/dp/B01M33C8MV

this is the standard recommendation for a compressor that a lot of us have

Cool, I'll order that. I bought a badger cable, do I need it or does that come with an adapter or cable that will connect?

Edit: also, Is this trash? I like how small it is...
https://www.amazon.ca/Gocheer-Profe...=gateway&sr=8-8

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 29, 2019

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Practicing my freehand:

Haven't decided what to try and put on the inside of the open book.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Giant Isopod posted:

Practicing my freehand:

Haven't decided what to try and put on the inside of the open book.

A tiny picture of him holding up the book. Or maybe that would be a bit too Chaos-inspired.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Zaodai posted:

A tiny picture of him holding up the book. Or maybe that would be a bit too Chaos-inspired.

drat, that's good - but probably beyond my skill level

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone ever pin stuff at less than 1mm? I've got a few bits I want to pin that 1mm is just too big for, but I'm not sure what I'd actually use as a pin. It's nice how you can get a lifetime supply of 1mm pins by dropping 80 cents on some paperclips.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Giant Isopod posted:

drat, that's good - but probably beyond my skill level

Along the same theme but less artistically intensive, affix a tiny bit of mirror to it. :v:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone ever pin stuff at less than 1mm? I've got a few bits I want to pin that 1mm is just too big for, but I'm not sure what I'd actually use as a pin. It's nice how you can get a lifetime supply of 1mm pins by dropping 80 cents on some paperclips.

Not ever tried it myself, but maybe try guitar strings? You can get whatever gauge you need to match your drill bit.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I got a bunch of brass head pins for a few bucks measuring .73mm that are good for tinier bits. Privateer Press also had some really fine brass wire sizes that weren't too offensively priced as hobby supplies go, but most online places appeared to dry up on supply of them.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Not ever tried it myself, but maybe try guitar strings? You can get whatever gauge you need to match your drill bit.

I use guitar string and it works great. I especially like it because it's fairly springy, so even if the piece bends a bit from pressure, it'll spring back to its original shape. I use 16 and 24p* gauge the most, with 12 reserved for the really ridiculously small parts.

* "p" stands for "plain", as opposed to "wound"

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I do most of my pinning with .81mm brass rod. Not as cheap as paper clips but won’t break the bank either - a couple bucks at a hobby store. I’ve used .5mm once and that wasn’t much fun (gently caress Nyss Hunters!).

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna paint Odo's bucket tonight. What would be a good base for gold among the primers that I have? Black, white, gray, averland sunset

Bucket:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm gonna paint Odo's bucket tonight. What would be a good base for gold among the primers that I have? Black, white, gray, averland sunset

Bucket:

A mid brown base works well for a darker/richer gold.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is Vallejo Metal Color Gold as good as their other metallics? If not, who makes a really good, smooth gold? I feel like I've heard good things about Citadel's, but I've historically not been a fan of their metallics so I'm not sure if they've got a better formula now.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is Vallejo Metal Color Gold as good as their other metallics? If not, who makes a really good, smooth gold? I feel like I've heard good things about Citadel's, but I've historically not been a fan of their metallics so I'm not sure if they've got a better formula now.

Citadel retributor gold is great.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 30, 2019

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Scale 75 metallics are very good.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

Bucket:

This post owns, put it in the op for the next thread

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
If there's not a quark mini I'm gonna kick off.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Had to delay to tomorrow. Someone needed me to get them drunk :smith:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Shamelessly reposting from the Warhammer thread.

Kinetica posted:

So for the first time in several years I started painting again, and decided to start with one marine to see how much I had lost. It's better than I thought it would be but still not awesome- it's been a while and I'm trying to figure out what exactly the color scheme needs. It feels like it's missing something to make it pop. Could it be too much silver, or not enough shading on it? . I tried shading the recesses with a light glaze of blue, but it doesn't seem to have worked out as well as I thought.

The bone was definitely not what I was trying for, but I think I finally figured how to do bone again.

The red needs some more work, if it isn't the silver could it be that it needs to be darker in the recesses?

I was trying for Word Bearers if it helps. The basing experiment with a blue glow from below the cracked earth didn't pan out as well either. Does anyone have any pointers?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Looks fine to me!

You could try a couple of nmm highlights on the tmm edges, a couple of bright red highlights up above and maybe some highlights on the kneepad skull too?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finished up the monk I've been working on

Round two on the white robes went WAY better, and I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Anybody have a good tutorial for doing bases in something similar to an old-growth forest look? There's tons of desert / swamp / snow basing tutorials but surprisingly few for jungle / forests.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

40k xpost:

Some speed painted cultists and screamers featuring some eye searing fluorescent colors. They are extremely hard to photograph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Anybody have a good tutorial for doing bases in something similar to an old-growth forest look? There's tons of desert / swamp / snow basing tutorials but surprisingly few for jungle / forests.

Here's two tutorials that I've used in the past to decent effect. Of course, in the first one, you don't need to put snow down, and can just end on a perfectly good forest base if you want.