Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

now that's a better talk about royal guard vs trickster than whatever was going on here earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

i would rather play a thousand DMC2 swimming levels then ever play mission 12 Hell or Hell again

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I just replaced my 360 controller with an XBone one and holy poo poo playing Dante is so much nicer with an actual, functioning d-pad

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tried to look up an anti-Fury guide on YT, in case some good players had tips on defeating them that I didn't know.

Top result, most viewed video: "Just use Ragtime as Nero and Cerberus Ice Age move as Dange, lol. Make sure to like and subscribe!"
:eng99:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Tried to look up an anti-Fury guide on YT, in case some good players had tips on defeating them that I didn't know.

Top result, most viewed video: "Just use Ragtime as Nero and Cerberus Ice Age move as Dange, lol. Make sure to like and subscribe!"
:eng99:

I mean, they're accurate but also stupidly vague. Here's mine for Dante:

Cerberus' Ice Age: Auto-clash as long as the Fury isn't DT'd (some attack patterns might end up with them getting caught in hitstun instead though). Here's the thing about the clash: it's good because proccing a clash gives you free DT (and style). It's actually better than raw blocking because of that, since you can then convert said DT into RG gauge once the Fury is low and activates their DT. When the latter happens, there's a chance that the Fury will barrel through Ice Age without clashing during their attacks, which is dangerous because Ice Age can time out at an inopportune moment and get you wrecked.

Royal Guard Blocking: If you can perfect block on reaction against Fury, congrats, you're badass as all hell. For everyone else, holding block and waiting for them to finish their rush is totally fine. At the end of each combo, the Fury can be knocked down with a shotgun blast or rocket. You'll then have an opportunity to combo them for a bit; sometimes you can go all the way to a Real Impact, sometimes they'll teleport out just after a few slashes. It's weird.

Once a Fury is DT'd, using RG entirely is probably safer than gambling with Ice Age, IMO. They also might take another shotty blast or rocket to knock down, too.

Royal Revenge: Time to put that Royal Gauge to use. This will always knock a Fury out of its attack patterns, but you generally won't have an opportunity to combo them afterwards. Good for finishing them off.

I can't comment on Nero yet, I need to work on my Shuffle timing, though a friend mentioned that Roulette Spin might actually be better.

EDIT: Also, here's a comprehensive guide as Nero versus Furies (spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxtNQZ5emiw

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This game's targeting system is hosed. It's the one consistent complaint I've seen across the board even from people who would physically fight you if you criticized any other aspect of the game. It's hosed, but for the most part you're able to get by because the worst thing that happens is you waste a few seconds trying to rejigger it, or you miss an input, and take a stray hit because of it. It's a good thing there's no mode where the slightest fumble or missed input can get you instantly killed from full health-- OH WAIT.

If you don't believe me, go and try to No Damage Artemis. When she unleashes her little options, you will spend several seconds just trying to get the game's busted targeting to loving LOCK ONTO THE RIGHT TARGET, meanwhile while she and her new friends have filled the screen will eighty new projectiles while you're angrily trying to shoot them. And then even after you kill them, they just sort of hover around as decoy targets to gently caress up everything else you're trying to do. You type in "streak to the boss in front of me" and the game's busted search engine goes "did you mean 'high roller the dead option behind you?'" :downs:

Any lock on system where you can press the lock on button and have the game respond by targeting something that is not onscreen over something that is very much onscreen and trying to kill you at this very moment is kind of unforgivable in a game like this.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Spergatory posted:

If you don't believe me, go and try to No Damage Artemis. When she unleashes her little options, you will spend several seconds just trying to get the game's busted targeting to loving LOCK ONTO THE RIGHT TARGET, meanwhile while she and her new friends have filled the screen will eighty new projectiles while you're angrily trying to shoot them. And then even after you kill them, they just sort of hover around as decoy targets to gently caress up everything else you're trying to do. You type in "streak to the boss in front of me" and the game's busted search engine goes "did you mean 'high roller the dead option behind you?'" :downs:

The lock on system definitely needs some work (Why can I only switch targets with the stick in neutral) but I'm fine with those decoy targets because they let you get up in Artemis' face where you actually can target her or quickly dodge whatever is incoming.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh sure, I don't mind locking onto them when they are on the screen. The screen is the ultimate arbiter in these games. Enemies are literally programmed not to attack unless you can see them. So the game locking into something you can't even see over something you can that's actually threatening? Big problem.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's been a lot of talk about horrible lock-on system that the game has which has me extremely puzzled because even after 3 full playthroughs I can barely remember any times when I felt like the game locked onto a completely wrong enemy.
Maybe it's somehow playstyle dependent?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've definitely had situations where I've knocked an enemy away with a stinger and had the lock-on swap to a guy 180 degrees behind me, it's very strange. The camera system doesn't really seem to care what you're trying to do, it makes no assessments about how you are playing or your intent when you go to lock onto something, which it really should.

edit: A good place to test this is at the start of Mission 12, on the street in front of the crumbled building at the start. A bunch of scythe skellies start off the fight, and you can reliably make the lock-on freak the everloving hell out by knocking them to opposite ends of the road and then trying to lock onto the guy you're pointing the camera at. Nine times out of ten, it'll go for the guy behind you who is not only farther away, he is not even on camera. It's so strange.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I've definitely had situations where I've knocked an enemy away with a stinger and had the lock-on swap to a guy 180 degrees behind me, it's very strange. The camera system doesn't really seem to care what you're trying to do, it makes no assessments about how you are playing or your intent when you go to lock onto something, which it really should.

What do you mean "had the lock-on swap to a guy 180 degrees behind me"? Are you releasing the lock-on button without wanting to swap targets?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Mission 12 finally broke me on DMD and made me use a continue via red orbs. gently caress that mission.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jack Trades posted:

What do you mean "had the lock-on swap to a guy 180 degrees behind me"? Are you releasing the lock-on button without wanting to swap targets?

Yes, I release the lock-on button to move at full speed and follow the guy I just did a stinger on, and even when I run back up to him and am ready to wail on him again, the lock-on still targets the guy behind me. Just about the only thing the lock-on DOES do right is that it stays on the same enemy if you don't let go of the button. Swapping by clicking the stick sucks rear end and the swap order seems to be random in addition to the stick having to be neutral, and it really doesn't seem to pay any mind at all to who you're running toward or the distance to the enemy it locks onto.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
After hours of failed attempts, Mission 3 is S Ranked on Hell and Hell via no damage! Only 17 more to go! :shepicide:

Since HaH is SOS for the most part, I've started doing practice runs of levels in SOS, restarting from checkpoint every time I take damage, and doing the boss over and over until I've figured out how to No Damage them consistently. I realize you don't *have* to No Damage the entire game to get S ranks on HaH, but I'm just not stylish enough to get that many points without bonuses. My fingers aren't smart enough. I can't even consistently exceed Nero's basic combos. I need that drat bonus. I may not be able to do the necessary 1600 inputs per second in order to style beast with the best of them, but God drat it, I can memorize boss patterns and lame them the gently caress out!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've had the same thing happen to me with lock-on. I'm not exactly sure what they changed, since I don't remember ever having the same problems in 3 or 4, but every so often the lock-on will just target an enemy on the opposite side of the room from me instead of the demon I'm currently whacking

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lord help you if you want to lock onto a hellbat near you with other enemies in the area.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the only time I notice lock on jank is when I play as nero, the character who is explicitly designed around having to stop holding it down in order to do his moves - snatch is a bad crutch mechanic and if I could turn it off entirely so I can use my arm without that one extra needless step I would

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lock on always felt ok to me. When I think of poor lockon I usually remember Bloodborne.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

darealkooky posted:

the only time I notice lock on jank is when I play as nero, the character who is explicitly designed around having to stop holding it down in order to do his moves - snatch is a bad crutch mechanic and if I could turn it off entirely so I can use my arm without that one extra needless step I would

Wait do you play Dante and V mostly locked on?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why wouldn't I play Dante locked on when most of his moveset requires it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I usually stay locked off and only use the lock-on when I need to use the lock on moves

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally beat DMD 14. Until I decide to go for Hell & Hell, this will be the last time I play V ever. Good riddance, IMO.

Well ok, that's kinda harsh; his playstyle's a very good experiment and I hope to see it in something like Dragon's Dogma 2. Still, a mission gimmick that's "you lose all your mechanics and have to fight a boss to regain them one by one" is a lovely mission gimmick and I'm bummed to see the boss rush in DMCV be used for it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pomp posted:

Why wouldn't I play Dante locked on when most of his moveset requires it

Because he has other combos and moves that require not being locked on, and stylin on more than one enemy at once is half the fun. You're way more mobile w/o lock on, especially if you're currently in trickster and don't need to briefly lock on to dodge. Plus crowd control in general is easy peasy if you're not constantly locked onto a specific target.

CharlestonJew posted:

I usually stay locked off and only use the lock-on when I need to use the lock on moves

Yeah this, I only ever use lock on to table hop or use the handful of moves that require the changed inputs.

I'd say the character I use lock on most with is V, and even then I'd rather have him up close and personal so I can get more out of the very limited moveset his summons have.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

esperterra posted:

Wait do you play Dante and V mostly locked on?

V is unplayable if you don't lock on and plan to do anything besides spam lightning and lasers because its the only way to make shadow actually behave instead of teleporting to your side constantly

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

darealkooky posted:

V is unplayable if you don't lock on and plan to do anything besides spam lightning and lasers because its the only way to make shadow actually behave instead of teleporting to your side constantly

I usually play V unlocked, Shadow will home in on a target with its attacks automatically. Hell, if anything, staying locked on led to Shadow porting back to me more often. The key is staying in Shadow's aggro range; if you go too far from a target, Shadow will drift back to you instead of walking up to the target. Try it out in the Void to suss out the distance.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I only unlock to Cyber Arm and run around, which may be why I'm so bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I play V primarily up in enemy's faces precisely so I can control Shadow better :shrug:

Only ever really back off if I want to read some poetry but even then you can build a lot ot DT by reading while in the poo poo if you just keep on top of pulling the book out after dodges.

e: also ya staying locked on seems to keep shadow close to me or constantly pull him away from the fight whenever i side step dodge instead of griffon dodge

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

darealkooky posted:

What in God's name is wrong with you, wanting to turn off the single best part of Nero as a playable character?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://s1.webmshare.com/wYGja.webm

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I have discovered... the strat. The strat to achieving all of your Hell and Hell S Rank dreams with V.

Turn on Auto Assist.

I'm serious. Turn on auto assist, find a corner, pull the camera in as close as you can get it, and button mash your way to victory. Auto assist turns both Shadow and Griffin into absolute meat grinders piloted by supercomputers and powered by pure hatred. They will automatically seek out enemies and do incredible, maybe even impossible combos on them. Combos you will not need to see, because keeping the camera focused away from them prevents them and you from being attacked by enemies you don't need to see.

"But how will I know when I need to finish them off?"

Well, my friend, you won't need to know. The game will know for you. In auto assist mode, V will automatically teleport to and annihilate any demon he is in range of as soon as you press any button when they are vulnerable. You don't need to use the cane button. You don't even need to be targeting them. It's absolutely, gloriously brain dead and I love it.

It even makes bosses markedly easier, because both Shadow and Griffin suddenly become so much better at seeking out the enemy and using their most powerful moves on it. Did you know Skewer does a frankly absurd amount of damage? Because if you use this trick, Shadow will happily teach you.

Sure, you take a 20% score penalty. But the 1.2x No Continues and 2.0x No Damage multipliers will more than make up for that. Once I found out this trick, Hell and Hell as V turned from a seemingly insurmountable task to a walk in the loving park with my pets. It will even make you like Shadow and Griffin more, because they will suddenly be such good, smart boys! Who's daddy's little killing machines? You are! Yes you are!

Is it scummy? Sure, but no moreso than the Faust hat. A lot of people just don't find V to be fun on higher difficulties, and to those people I say; I feel you. So come, embrace the scum. Turn on auto assist. Give your pets a brain upgrade and let them carry you to victory.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

If you're going to cheat, wouldn't using super characters be more fun than leaving the game running while you hide in the corner and watch it play itself for you?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m pretty sure the fun will come for the poster named “Spergatory” looking at a neat little row of “S”s in the mission select screen, not from actually playing the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Honestly, I can sympathize with him, V doesn't seem like the kind of character that would be fun to play on Hell and Hell. Coming from a guy who will never go beyond SoS, I could already see how V could be very frustrating to play on higher difficulties.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Judge me all you want. V's gameplay completely collapses on higher difficulties and he is just not fun to play. I play video games to enjoy myself, so pushing past V's missions with a minimum of effort instead of spending hours or possibly days trying and failing them and silently resenting him the entire time, that's a huge value add in my book.

The information is out there now. You know, just in case you want to take a little shortcut. It's like the Faust hat; if the game didn't want you to use it, they shouldn't have made it so powerful. No one ever has to know. :angel:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
*V petulantly quotes William Blake in the corner*

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
The key to V on higher difficulties like DMD and Hell and Hell is to use Nightmare as a res for Griffon and Shadow. Always keep your DT high by reading poetry and mix in an air taunt every so often because it gives a nice DT boost. Don't leave Nightmare out for too long unless you have tons of DT. Don't use DT to power up Griffon or Shadow unless you're certain you're going to dodge to keep them out of danger (or unless you're in Mission 14, of course). Powering them up won't stop them from getting one/two-shot and then the DT you gave them will be instantly lost. If you've got DT to spare and things look unsafe, use the AOE cane attack to execute enemies to keep yourself safe. Also don't abuse the riding Nightmare ability. It's almost unusable on Hell and Hell so get used to staying on foot and letting Nightmare do its thing.

Never ever let yourself fall under 3 bars of DT. If you do, you can't do anything when Griffon and Shadow die except stand near them and try to dodge stuff while they regenerate.

I'm still loving V's playstyle and I'm super glad they took a risk with him. He's actually the character I'm most looking forward to trying in the Bloody Palace!

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I'm glad the exploit exists and that I know about it now. I've been putting off DMD because I've liked V less the more I've played him. I'm glad other people like him, but he hasn't clicked for me yet, and I don't think he will.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that V unfortunately doesn't scale well at higher difficulties. They should have made his damage scale up to match the player's chosen difficulty (at a lower curve than the enemies' health to keep it challenging) so that it didn't get sorta slow and tedious. As is, it's more of a war of attrition kinda thing than anything that requires tactics and positioning. You just have to wail on the enemies for so long that it's not really fun anymore.

edit: He definitely becomes very DT reliant on higher difficulties and I guess that's not really a BAD thing but it builds very slowly while his nose is in his book so it still could stand to go a little bit faster.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 31, 2019

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also liked V for the most part, but on DMD and Hell and Hell I hated playing him. Not because he himself is unfun, but it's because they did not consider on DMD how weak V feels against some things. Nero and Dante on higher difficulties don't lose entire options or have their options severely weakened. You have to restrategize as them, but it's nothing some thinking around can't help out. As V though, both Shadow and Griffon don't do nearly as much damage as they probably should and they die really easily. You are forced to essentially hold onto DT meter to either rest them or for major problem enemies that Griffon and Shadow are realistically not gonna be able to deal with. Most of shadows attacks do very little damage especially after enemies DT except impale which takes a while to wind up and Griffon needs major charges for for higher damage on things. I think the damage on their attacks should've scaled a bit higher to compensate for how fragile they became but I guess that also makes them too powerful so if you drop Nightmare they do insane damage and are unkillable. I don't really know how you fix V statistically for these higher difficulties without making him super fragile, but at the same time Nero and Dante have such powerful options while V does not partially because his mobility isn't as strong as theirs, but also because Nightmare is just such a trump card that he makes Nightmare and Shadow insane too.

If V pops back up in future games I'd like it if they could add more to him like a charge meter indicator or another familiar like Phantom or something to add to the mix. They could go whole hog with the chaos legion comparison and give him equippable summons and limit him to two creatures and Nightmare or even change out the DT if you want like how you could with DMC2. He's seriously a pretty fun first attempt at a character like this and I look forward to doing BP with him, but he definitely does have some downsides that do feel like they were avoidable or at least instill a lot of frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if it is possible to win the fight at the end of mission 8? I've been going back through every mission to gather up all the blue orbs I missed and I did some pretty good damage, but I just can't reliably dodge the tentacles so I always slowly lose my health there. It feels winnable because I can occasionally dodge that attack, but I'm not sure if it is like that just to fool me or not.