Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

thats more analogous to saying you should be able to play games on any device

sure, if you want to be as literal and obtuse as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Roth posted:

Lowtax should provide accessibility options for Scary Ghost Dog to start making better posts.

i dont want to post on a forum where everyone agrees with me

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
art from adversity, friends

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

art from adversity, friends

if your posts are art i can understand why they shouldnt be more accessible

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
now youre just being a jerk

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
By now it's all bad faith arguments or Pat-style "but it bothers ME tho" complaints so I think everyone's better off dropping the topic, frankly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

scary ghost dog posted:

i thought the people who want easy modes dont enjoy the games

Yeah you didn't read or understand what I said.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Buy DMC5, you fucks

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

Buy DMC5, you fucks

It's really good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Baal posted:

Buy DMC5, you fucks

No. I'm too busy trying to get a copy of rising zan.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I bought Sekiro instead of DMCV.

Kinda regret it, feel like I'd enjoy DMCV more now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Buy DMC5, you fucks

but it has an easy mode so I won't feel accomplished

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I bought Sekiro instead of DMCV.

Kinda regret it, feel like I'd enjoy DMCV more now.

sounds like you should have done some research into whether the game you were buying was the kind of game you enjoy playing

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Andrast posted:

I love FROM style storytelling a lot

FROM style storytelling is meh that never really changes between games, FROM style worldbuilding is AMAZING.

Also my hot take about the difficulty as someone who's just watching pat be bad at sekiro because I don't really care about it gameplay wise due to no multiplayer(Purple dickwraiths forever): If you want a souls game to be easier just go offline mode and use cheat engine to change it in whatever ways you need, people have made a literal loving jojo stands mod with cheatengine.
But, honestly the gameplay being hard is the actual selling point of soulsborne games, so I don't really see the point of not just watching an lp if you're only interested in the story for whatever reason.
It'd be like putting a fighting game to its easiest mode, it's just not gonna be enjoyable because the only way they can really make it easier(especially in sekiro where the health is already insanely low per enemy) would be to lobotomize the enemy ai.
At least for me I'd rather just watch someone else play it at that point instead of fighting something that may as well just be a sandbag with legs.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 29, 2019

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

sounds like you should have done some research into whether the game you were buying was the kind of game you enjoy playing

I enjoyed Dark Souls 1, 2, 3 and Bloodborne and have finished them all multiple times. There was no reason to believe I wouldn't enjoy Sekiro.

Give me the money to buy DMCV.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nalesh posted:

FROM style storytelling is meh that never really changes between games, FROM style worldbuilding is AMAZING.

Same thing imo

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Can we just talk about how loving good DMC5 is? JACKPOT!!!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's so loving good I bought it 3 times

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I enjoyed Dark Souls 1, 2, 3 and Bloodborne and have finished them all multiple times. There was no reason to believe I wouldn't enjoy Sekiro.

Give me the money to buy DMCV.

lol dude cmon.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-is-not-part-of-soulsborne/1100-6459819/
"Sekiro was not designed as an evolution of Soulsborne, of the Souls series," series creator and Sekiro director Hidetaka Miyazaki told GameSpot. "It was designed from the ground up, from scratch, as an entirely new concept, as a new game. So we don't know if you'd call this an evolution of the series in this sense."

incidentally:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-why-dark-souls-bloodborne-and-sekiro-dont-ha/1100-6459827/
"We don't want to include a difficulty selection because we want to bring everyone to the same level of discussion and the same level of enjoyment," Miyazaki said. "So we want everyone … to first face that challenge and to overcome it in some way that suits them as a player."

The creator continued: "We want everyone to feel that sense of accomplishment. We want everyone to feel elated and to join that discussion on the same level. We feel if there's different difficulties, that's going to segment and fragment the user base. People will have different experiences based on that [differing difficulty level]. This is something we take to heart when we design games. It's been the same way for previous titles and it's very much the same with Sekiro."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

lol dude cmon.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-is-not-part-of-soulsborne/1100-6459819/
"Sekiro was not designed as an evolution of Soulsborne, of the Souls series," series creator and Sekiro director Hidetaka Miyazaki told GameSpot. "It was designed from the ground up, from scratch, as an entirely new concept, as a new game. So we don't know if you'd call this an evolution of the series in this sense."

incidentally:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-why-dark-souls-bloodborne-and-sekiro-dont-ha/1100-6459827/
"We don't want to include a difficulty selection because we want to bring everyone to the same level of discussion and the same level of enjoyment," Miyazaki said. "So we want everyone … to first face that challenge and to overcome it in some way that suits them as a player."

The creator continued: "We want everyone to feel that sense of accomplishment. We want everyone to feel elated and to join that discussion on the same level. We feel if there's different difficulties, that's going to segment and fragment the user base. People will have different experiences based on that [differing difficulty level]. This is something we take to heart when we design games. It's been the same way for previous titles and it's very much the same with Sekiro."

Bloodborne was completely different from Dark Souls too, and I loved that. It's almost as if enjoying the developer's previous work, even as it went through massive changes, made me think I'd enjoy this one too, even as it went through another massive change.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Andrast posted:

Same thing imo

Eh not really, storytelling is more the active parts, the chosen undead, seek seek lest, muh hunt, umu the dragonblood save me from crazy uncle, etc.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Bloodborne was completely different from Dark Souls too, and I loved that. It's almost as if enjoying the developer's previous work, even as it went through massive changes, made me think I'd enjoy this one too, even as it went through another massive change.

bloodborne is not completely different from dark souls dude

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Eh not really, storytelling is more the active parts, the chosen undead, seek seek lest, muh hunt, umu the dragonblood save me from crazy uncle, etc.

I don't see the point in disconnecting those from each other

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

lol dude cmon.

Why are you trying so hard to be a dick about someone buying a video game they ended up not liking

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

bloodborne is not completely different from dark souls dude

Sure, if you ignore all the differences.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Andrast posted:

I don't see the point in disconnecting those from each other

They're connected sure, I just find the active part to be way less interesting than the passive worldbuilding through items/looking at the world, since it's basically the same story every single game with the only thing differing is how it ties in with the worldbuilding. Do note I didn't call it bad, just... meh. Though I do love how they always bring back things like Patches and the Moonlight Greatsword in some sort of way

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

Why are you trying so hard to be a dick about someone buying a video game they ended up not liking

i think he would like it if he didnt give up on it

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Literally playing it right now, my guy.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

Then why not say that instead of getting mad about them not doing research and arguing about how it's totally different from the thing they liked

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

somepartsareme posted:

Mate, they've been arguing in bad faith for the last hour or so, I think being a dick is their point

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Sure, if you ignore all the differences.

sekiro having a jump button, no stats or levelups, one weapon, and voiced dialogue from the protagonist is a pretty big deviation compared to bloodborne having faster paced combat and no shields

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im not the one arguing in bad faith. you guys are deadset on proving yourselves right in the face of all evidence and resorting to emotional appeals in absence of realistic counterpoints

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Sure.

Can we even remap inputs in Sekiro, BTW?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dias posted:

Sure.

Can we even remap inputs in Sekiro, BTW?

yes

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That's good. It's a big accessibility thing a lot of games, easy or hard, don't really do.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

im not the one arguing in bad faith. you guys are deadset on proving yourselves right in the face of all evidence and resorting to emotional appeals in absence of realistic counterpoints

It's a subjective argument, what "evidence" are you showing. It boils down to whether you think the "cohesive experience" is worth sacrificing accessibility, and whether or not something can be more or less difficult for different people, which to me seems obvious but I guess I don't have empirical evidence for it on me

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

It's a subjective argument, what "evidence" are you showing. It boils down to whether you think the "cohesive experience" is worth sacrificing accessibility, and whether or not something can be more or less difficult for different people, which to me seems obvious but I guess I don't have empirical evidence for it on me

i cited the director of the game and his reasoning, both regarding how the game isnt the same as soulsborne and his motivations for only including one difficulty

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
also stop using the word accessibility, the game is literally accessible to all players

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Yes. His motivations are understood. People can disagree with how valid they are. Read my post again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
at this point i’m convinced that you just don’t know what some words mean